(Topic ID: 330877)

The " be careful with these things " speech.

By ExSquid

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bublehead
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The " be careful with these things " speech.”

• Normal 15 votes
      36%
    • Overly Cautious 27 votes
      64%

(42 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    7660C65B-070E-4F7A-A537-5472D4157060 (resized).jpeg
    jarts22 (resized).png
    4864bd0b-4551-45cf-89dc-f3c6fb63c206_text.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7266086_0 (resized).jpg
    elissa-slater-spit-take.gif
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

Cant just be me, is it? Might be....
    When we have family and friends ( especially with a lot of kids ) come over I kind of have to , in a nice way mind you , let them know to be VERY careful with the games seeing how when there is more than 2 * kids* they tend to turn into a pack of Hyenas. No matter how I word it I always feel somewhat like the bad guy for even saying it. Normal? Overly cautious?

Overly cautious. Let kids be kids. If they misbehave, talk with them and try to teach them in the moment.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

My biggest concern was kids getting hurt in the game room. That place with all those games you start wrestling around and some kid gets a head smashed into the legs. Gash your head open in a second. Not really worried about the games as much as the kids getting damaged. Although I am a bit protective of the HEP CV!

Some of our neighborhood groms keep their bike helmets on when they rip our games lol

7660C65B-070E-4F7A-A537-5472D4157060 (resized).jpeg7660C65B-070E-4F7A-A537-5472D4157060 (resized).jpeg
    #53 1 year ago

This is why I only buy the commercial-grade pros and not the fragile premium and LE models.

#54 1 year ago

No need to be concerned. The kids will lose interest very quickly and move on to things they enjoy.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from SFBP36:

Some of our neighborhood groms keep their bike helmets on when they rip our games lol[quoted image]

Now there's an idea!

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

This is why I only buy the commercial-grade pros and not the fragile premium and LE models.

me too,who cares.let them play

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #57 1 year ago

Sure.. Let em have fun.. Go relax..

You can dig the paper clip out of the coin mechanism tomorrow after scrapping the boogers off the side of the cabinet.

I just know I was a little hellion back in the day. (cut open 12 gauge shells for the powder, leaned our mini bikes over to spill some gas out to make a fire,, Started a fire in my closet, started a fire in a can of gas behind the old IGA and rode my bicycle around it..etc.. FIRES COOL.!..)

Give us little snot boxes privacy and we get into some crazy sh1t..

Back when I worked on computers - there were several that came in for loose pennies inside the case and inside the cd-rom drives. Kids turn them into piggy banks when your not looking.

Sweet Dreams.. LOL..

#58 1 year ago

lol should have EM's, they were made to last, and they weren't in peoples houses under the watchfull eye of the owner,in the mid 70's they were in arcades and bowling ally's getting abused like no tomorrow, from crazy teens like me,pushing them into the wall or sideways ,spitting on the backglass,burning the lockdown bar with cigarettes,and yes kicking the coin door....they were work horses making .25 cents for 2 games EM'S were the best....just saying lol........just have fun life's too short

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from namyzzo:

Sure.. Let em have fun.. Go relax..
    You can dig the paper clip out of the coin mechanism tomorrow after scrapping the boogers off the side of the cabinet.

I just know I was a little hellion back in the day. (cut open 12 gauge shells for the powder, leaned our mini bikes over to spill some gas out to make a fire,, Started a fire in my closet, started a fire in a can of gas behind the old IGA and rode my bicycle around it..etc.. FIRES COOL.!..)
    Give us little snot boxes privacy and we get into some crazy sh1t..
    Back when I worked on computers - there were several that came in for loose pennies inside the case and inside the cd-rom drives. Kids turn them into piggy banks when your not looking.
    Sweet Dreams.. LOL..

When I was working on a lot of game consoles I pulled so much shit out of drives. Particularly on the Wii. Go figure.
    Even with wild bush children, I'm a lot less worried about a lot of that stuff in my basement than I would be in an arcade or public location. Besides, I guess it matters what age we're talking about here. A lot of the stuff I pulled out of drives clearly came from toddlers and very young kids. The kind of age where I probably won't be leaving them unattended down in my basement or anywhere. If we're talking like 7-10 year olds and up I'm a lot less worried about keeping a super close eye on them.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

No need to be concerned. The kids will lose interest very quickly and move on to things they enjoy.

#FACTS come back to find ball 2 still in the shooter lane.

#61 1 year ago

I love kids. That's one of the things I love about pinball. Anyone else, especially kids, can play them. If they are having fun just banging on the flipper buttons for 5 minutes straight then go for it. I've never had anyone go ape banging on the glass or trying to throw one out the window. In fact, I bang on the games way more than anyone else lol.

#62 1 year ago

I think the standard “have fun, but if you chip the paint, you will be flogged unrelentlessly until your skin peels off in chunks” speech needs only be told once, kind of like, this-

“Ok, kids, these are my pinball machines. Here’s how to turn them on… here’s how to start a game… here’s how you play… and here is where I bury every one of your dead bodies if I catch a single one of you mistreating my machines, including but not limited to-
    Kicking, scratching, punching, tearing, bending, poking, burning, igniting, spilling, smearing, chipping, gouging, marking, embellishing, or otherwise defacing my machines. You may touch them with your flipper fingers only, and you will be cavity searched for any missing items from the game room upon leaving. All infractions will be reported or game room privileges will be suspended for all children. Please take one copy only of the legal release forms, and I need all your parents to sign and return them to me before any fun can be had. Once I have all the forms, I will issue play permits to each authorized child which will grant access to game room. Once you have demonstrated your ability to follow all these rules to the letter, you will be allowed to play one game, and one game only. There is a $30 “selfie fee” if you want to take a picture of your score, no flash photography allowed.”

You finish that with “now have fun!” and stare at them until they blink, and then you say “so just be careful with them, no drinks on the machines, they are old but are meant to be played, so have fun” and walk out. And then cringe as they assault the game room, and just worry about the damage later.

#63 1 year ago

I prefer to hang around and supervise so I can help them with the games - what to shoot for, how to aim, whatever level they're at. This ALSO allows me to make sure they're not doing stupid stuff around my machines or the more fragile items in other rooms of the basement.

#64 1 year ago

Pinballs are made to go inside of bars and have drunks fall on top of them. Make sure the kids have whiskey available and you should be fine. Wait don't give kids whiskey it's too expensive.

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elephanthead:

Pinballs are made to go inside of bars and have drunks fall on top of them. Make sure the kids have whiskey available and you should be fine. Wait don't give kids whiskey it's too expensive.

on my way.

#66 1 year ago
    #67 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

[quoted image]

He’s just an excitable boy.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from DJK77:

#FACTS come back to find ball 2 still in the shooter lane.

Right? Most everyone on Pinside is like, "We need to teach the next generation about pinball!" "I need a kid friendly pinball machine for the gameroom!"

Shut up. Kids don't give a rat's ass about pinball. Just stop and enjoy it yourself and leave everyone else alone with your obsession.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Right? Most everyone on Pinside is like, "We need to teach the next generation about pinball!" "I need a kid friendly pinball machine for the gameroom!"
    Shut up. Kids don't give a rat's ass about pinball. Just stop and enjoy it yourself and leave everyone else alone with your obsession.

It’s not true. Many kids are very into pinball. Including mine.

#70 1 year ago

I think a lot of it comes down to familiarity. Our 12 year old likes to play, but that's because he knows what it is and he has a grasp on the skills and what you're supposed to do.

At his birthday party recently we had some kids over who didn't know what a pinball machine was. They try it, and if they don't immediately recognize what they're supposed to do a lot of them lose interest within seconds. They may not realize that they have to plunge the ball. One of them didn't know you were supposed to not let the ball go down the hole. In 15-20 seconds you can at least explain to them the basic idea. Shoot the ball with this rod. Press these buttons to keep the ball from draining and try to hit the lit targets. That at least gives them a goal to work on. One kid seemed to "get it" pretty well and had fun playing, and a second older kid might have but right after she got to the pinball room they suddenly were calling everyone to come get cake so the opportunity never happened.

When we had some younger cousins over a few months back, I had time to explain the games to them without their attention being pulled in a hundred directions and they liked it a lot. One of them made it their personal goal to get a Gumball on Twilight Zone before they had to leave and successfully achieved it.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

It’s not true. Many kids are very into pinball. Including mine.

Just because of a couple exceptions that doesn't make it the rule. I never understood this pearl clutching position whenever somebody mentions the FACT that kids don't care about pinball. I'm sure theres some kids out there that enjoy watching C-Span too, that doesn't mean kids love C-Span. If you're lucky enough to have or know kids that enjoy pinball, thats awesome! Just realize that most kids don't.

#72 1 year ago

Only two rules I taught our kids, who in turn, teach their friends.

-I power on/off all machines(arcade or pinball), to ensure it boots properly with no issues. Same with powering off, to ensure no issues/alerts I need to be aware of.

-Clean hands only, no touching with dirty Cheetos covered hands, ect...

I spend quite a bit of time playing along with our kids, so they see and understand how to use the machines, just by example. No issues here. And they’re really good keeping their friends in line and teaching them.

Just be involved, it goes a long way with the ever growing “sponge” like minds.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Just because of a couple exceptions that doesn't make it the rule. I never understood this pearl clutching position whenever somebody mentions the FACT that kids don't care about pinball. I'm sure theres some kids out there that enjoy watching C-Span too, that doesn't mean kids love C-Span. If you're lucky enough to have or know kids that enjoy pinball, thats awesome! Just realize that most kids don't.

I think a lot of it has to do with the novelty of it and what other kids are into. My son is only 6, so he has grown up around games and seen them come and go. It isn’t “new” for him anymore. He likes to play, but there isn’t anything special about it for him. When his friends come over they are fascinated by it because it’s a novelty for them. All his friends in the neighborhood and at school (including him) are into Minecraft and Nintendo Switch, so of course he’s going to have way more interest in what his friends are into than pinball. I think kids like it…but they’re kids too…they are going to have short attention spans for anything and change interests basically weekly…and that’s ok!

#74 1 year ago

Most kids need to be exposed at the “too little for you to play” stage, where you tell them they CAN’T play, they are too short, or they can’t reach both flipper buttons at the same time. Now they feel they are missing out. They will do ANYTHING to play, stand on a stool, stand on their heads, it doesn’t matter. And then you let nature take her course. Those who love it keep loving it, those that “meh?” , don’t.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-be-careful-with-these-things-speech/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.