(Topic ID: 330877)

The " be careful with these things " speech.

By ExSquid

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bublehead
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The " be careful with these things " speech.”

• Normal 15 votes
      36%
    • Overly Cautious 27 votes
      64%

(42 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    7660C65B-070E-4F7A-A537-5472D4157060 (resized).jpeg
    jarts22 (resized).png
    4864bd0b-4551-45cf-89dc-f3c6fb63c206_text.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7266086_0 (resized).jpg
    elissa-slater-spit-take.gif
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Cant just be me, is it? Might be....

When we have family and friends ( especially with a lot of kids ) come over I kind of have to , in a nice way mind you , let them know to be VERY careful with the games seeing how when there is more than 2 * kids* they tend to turn into a pack of Hyenas. No matter how I word it I always feel somewhat like the bad guy for even saying it. Normal? Overly cautious?

#2 1 year ago

Lighten up Francis.
    These are made for public bars. Kids can’t break them.
    So unless they pull out sharpies or knives how are they going to hurt them?

#3 1 year ago

Might not just be you, but it’s not me. I’ve never seen guests, adult or child, do anything to my machines that comes close to what pins are subjected to in a commercial setting. Kids tend to push the flipper buttons way more than necessary, but ultimately, that affects their gameplay more than my machines. Curious as to what they are doing to get you concerned?

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

Cant just be me, is it? Might be....
    When we have family and friends ( especially with a lot of kids ) come over I kind of have to , in a nice way mind you , let them know to be VERY careful with the games seeing how when there is more than 2 * kids* they tend to turn into a pack of Hyenas. No matter how I word it I always feel somewhat like the bad guy for even saying it. Normal? Overly cautious?

I would say both your reaction as well as the way they behave are both normal, as a pack of kids are at their very core a pack of hyenas. Ha.

They tend to imitate each other, so if one of them appears to be having fun being rough on a game the others will imitate that as well… though conversely one kid that knows how to play and treat a game and having fun doing so appropriately will also get imitated (e.g. pressing one flipper button at a time, etc.)

Personally, it is pretty enjoyable when I see young kids playing pinball and having fun… especially seeing which games are more interesting to them. My nieces and nephews seem to all be drawn to AC/DC for some reason for example… my brother and brother in law have even mentioned that their kids ask them to put AC/DC songs on now.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:Lighten up Francis.
    These are made for public bars. Kids can’t break them.
    So unless they pull out sharpies or knives how are they going to hurt them?

Yes sir SGT Hulka!

#6 1 year ago

At any given time we have 4 6 year olds from the neighborhood roaming the house. They haven’t done any more damage than anyone else. Usually if something is gonna break it doesn’t matter who is playing it…fate decides ha. No food and drinks on the games is all I’ve really had to ask anyone to not do.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zero_Hour:

Might not just be you, but it’s not me. I’ve never seen guests, adult or child, do anything to my machines that comes close to what pins are subjected to in a commercial setting. Kids tend to push the flipper buttons way more than necessary, but ultimately, that affects their gameplay more than my machines. Curious as to what they are doing to get you concerned?

Banging on the glass mostly. Throwing balls around the machines . Wrestling right next to them Etc ….

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Personally, it is pretty enjoyable when I see young kids playing pinball and having fun… especially seeing which games are more interesting to them. My nieces and nephews seem to all be drawn to AC/DC for some reason for example… my brother and brother in law have even mentioned that their kids ask them to put AC/DC songs on now.

Oh no doubt ! Just sometimes have to remind them to take it easy. Especially when they throw their phones down on the glass .

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

Oh no doubt ! Just sometimes have to remind them to take it easy. Especially when they throw their phones down on the glass .

Are you worried about them breaking their phones?

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Are you worried about them breaking their phones?

No sir Sgt HULKA!

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

I would think if they're old enough to take care of a phone...........

#12 1 year ago

I generally only say something if a kid starts banging on the glass and that doesn't happen all that often. I even had a kid headbutt the glass, but that was because he was trying to watch the ball drain.

#13 1 year ago

I just say “have fun”

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I just say “have fun”

Ca sera sera I guess.

#15 1 year ago

No, because I'm not one of these maniacs who think these things are super fragile. They are made for wild bush children to power slam each other on in the arcade when the quarter guy isn't looking.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I even had a kid headbutt the glass, but that was because he was trying to watch the ball drain.

Haha that’s awesome

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

They are made for wild bush children to power slam each other on in the arcade when the quarter guy isn't looking.

elissa-slater-spit-take.gifelissa-slater-spit-take.gif
    #18 1 year ago

I tell kids to “go be a nut and have fun, everything is on free play”.

#19 1 year ago

Do new games have slam tilt feature? I don’t even know. My idiot friends and I became well-versed in the ways of the slam tilt of W/B in the 80’s and 90’s in arcades. Sorry, operators.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Do new games have slam tilt feature? I don’t even know. My idiot friends and I became well-versed in the ways of the slam tilt of W/B in the 80’s and 90’s in arcades. Sorry, operators.

Slam tilt has been gone from modern Sterns for at least 5 years, maybe more. There's a plug that says optional slam tilt where the switch would normally be.

#21 1 year ago

I walked downstairs to see my kids taking turns doing penalty kicks using this double set of glass doors as the goal during half time for one of the world cup games. Shut that down FAST.

Pinside_forum_7266086_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7266086_0 (resized).jpg
    #22 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I walked downstairs to see my kids taking turns doing penalty kicks using this double set of glass doors as the goal during half time for one of the world cup games. Shut that down FAST.
    [quoted image]

Nice setup!!!!

#23 1 year ago

Seconding, thirding the relaxed attitude. Don’t let the kids treat the games like crap in general, yes. But there’s really nothing they could possibly do short of throwing a pinball AT the glass, that would do anything at all. I’ve had games where I’ve slammed my fists down on the glass after a drain… nothing happened. All the damage happens in transport. Have a beer, play a game! These are not priceless treasures from antiquity

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seconding, thirding the relaxed attitude. Don’t let the kids treat the games like crap in general, yes.

That's all I'm doing, I'm not treating these like the Ark of the Covenant. Just an easy " just be careful guys". Then go upstairs for some beers!

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Lighten up Francis.

Quoted from ExSquid:

Yes sir SGT Hulka!

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #26 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

[quoted image]

4864bd0b-4551-45cf-89dc-f3c6fb63c206_text.gif4864bd0b-4551-45cf-89dc-f3c6fb63c206_text.gif
    #27 1 year ago

Mainly teach them not to chimp flip if you can; but sounds like you have more than a few so that would be tough

If its purely them AROUND the machines then there isn't much that could happen. Possibleba glass breaks but very rarely ever see it

#28 1 year ago

I had my young nephews over for the holidays. My wife and I were debating about giving them a "please have fun playing our pins, but be respectful" speech.

The topic of snacks in the pin room came up and my wife and I agreed that eating "Cheetos" was the worst thing they could snack on and play. So we got rid of all the Cheetos in the house.

Low and behold, they came through our door with 2 bags of Cheeto Puffs. My wife and I nearly died laughing because Cheetos Puffs is far worse than just normal Cheetos. As soon as they put the bags of chips down, I hid them. Everyone had a great time!

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Mainly teach them not to chimp flip if you can; but sounds like you have more than a few so that would be tough
    If its purely them AROUND the machines then there isn't much that could happen. Possibleba glass breaks but very rarely ever see it

The only thing I'm truly worried about is kids holding onto the shooter rod and then hanging on it.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Mainly teach them not to chimp flip if you can;

hahah you guys are killing me. Yeah the kids sometimes do this. I just tell them to stop.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

The only thing I'm truly worried about is kids holding onto the shooter rod and then hanging on it.

2 of my nephews do this ALL the time. I almost feel like they are going to grab it with both hands and start doing pullups!

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Yeah...thats a good one to look for.

#33 1 year ago

A lot of young kids have had no exposure to Pinball,Now is a good time to Teach them How to act around Someone elses property and Let them enjoy Pinball.I say make the be careful and this is how the machine works now have fun speech.

#34 1 year ago

There are legit worries here. Grabbing the shooter rod and ripping it back as hard as you can really pisses me off. Kids also throw stuff, kick stuff, and wield random stuff that can tear up your cabinet.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

2 of my nephews do this ALL the time. I almost feel like they are going to grab it with both hands and start doing pullups!

After getting my Old Chicago home from a pinball expo, I noticed the plunger was really bowed. Luckily I had another proper era rod to swap in. And this game was only in the tournament area. Jeez.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

There are legit worries here. Grabbing the shooter rod and ripping it back as hard as you can really pisses me off. Kids also throw stuff, kick stuff, and wield random stuff that can tear up your cabinet.

Probably no worse than anything I’ve done myself moving a game or accidentally dinging something up…or trying to set up a game after a few drinks and pulling it up by the shooter rod ha. Of all the crap in my house that kids could potentially break, pinball is the least of my worries when there’s nerf darts flying around by my tv!

#37 1 year ago

If they start throwing toys balls or other things around as kids sometimes do that could possibly break a backglass, that could be devastating and dangerous actually. I would just emphasize that to the kids no ball playing or throwing things in the gameroom. Otherwise just play and have fun!
    And yes the no drinks and snacks allowed in the game area of course!

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

, pinball is the least of my worries when there’s nerf darts flying around by my tv!

That's why the M41A pulse rifle I just got my daughter is an "upstairs" only toy.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

Banging on the glass mostly. Throwing balls around the machines . Wrestling right next to them Etc ….

This sounds like the kids are out of control. Maybe close the game room to them, or quit inviting them until their parents teach them some manners.

LTG : )

#40 1 year ago

yeah you could always supervise the kids...

#41 1 year ago

Don't worry about your machines, worry about your Jarts !!

jarts22 (resized).pngjarts22 (resized).png
    #42 1 year ago

They don't "normally" do these things. Its just every so often they have to be reminded. The kids are cool. I don't want to make it like I have lunatics at the house , that's not what this was about I was just wondering if anyone else told their kids/friends etc. to be careful around the games. That's all. Just a discussion.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

They don't "normally" do these things. Its just every so often they have to be reminded. The kids are cool. I don't want to make it like I have lunatics at the house , that's not what this was about I was just wondering if anyone else told their kids/friends etc. to be careful around the games. That's all. Just a discussion.

Heck, just make their parents sign waivers and put up collateral.

Just having fun! Kids always need direction. I have 3, and though they are better behaved than most...they still have their knucklehead moments. Don't ditch the speech.

#44 1 year ago

Kids will be Kids.My parents took us to a friends Ranch the adults went inside and the Guy who owned the place said go check the place out.Wasnt an hour before me and my 4 Brothers were trying to ride Cows.Kids need the speech.We would have been throwing pinball machines at each other.

#45 1 year ago

Kids don't even know or understand what they're doing half the time...and it's not on purpose, they're just kids. My Dad bought a huge wooden big screen TV back in the late 80's and if you were around then, you know how expensive those were. The screen was plastic and it had lines in it, it thought it was cool and started scratching it with my finger like a record, it sounded cool....I had NO idea I was leaving permanent marks in the screen because when the tv was ON, you couldn't really see it, but when off, it was ugly.

My Dad threatened to set me on fire and bury me in the backyard like my older brother...I told him I never had an older brother...he said that you KNEW of....really freaked me out for about 5 minutes till I realized he was joking.

That being said I can imagine kids not knowing any better taking markers or colored pencils to your cabinet like a giant coloring book and not even realizing what they're doing.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Slam tilt has been gone from modern Sterns for at least 5 years, maybe more. There's a plug that says optional slam tilt where the switch would normally be.

LMAO .... Another .50 per switch per game in Gary's pocket !

#47 1 year ago

Proper manners and respect for other people's property is mandatory. But when they're over to play my games, I also tell my brother's kids that there's pretty much no way they can hurt my games. They're literally made to withstand kids using them as jungle gyms and drunk idiots puking on them. I don't think many of them weigh over a hundred pounds dripping wet. I set the boundaries, but give them total freedom within those boundaries.

They don't even really know how, or that they can nudge the games. I have to show that to them. Then they get all excited because to them it feels like legal cheating.

Unless they start bringing tools, sharp toys, or other strange items to hold onto while playing your games, you'll be fine.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

[quoted image]

Ahhahahaha....”Kids.....STOP having FUN in the GameRoom”......hahahahhahahaah

#49 1 year ago

My biggest concern was kids getting hurt in the game room. That place with all those games you start wrestling around and some kid gets a head smashed into the legs. Gash your head open in a second. Not really worried about the games as much as the kids getting damaged. Although I am a bit protective of the HEP CV!

#50 1 year ago

THANK GOD I don't have kids. What a nightmare

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-be-careful-with-these-things-speech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.