(Topic ID: 137153)

The "BAD" Part Of This Pinball Hobby ...

By DB62

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DB62
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_11.25.51_AM.png
    image.jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Someone made a post, about whether to purchase "Color DMD's" or "Inviziglass". I responded to his thread with this:
    I completely detached my retina AND macula in my left eye. I had 4 major surgeries and my eye was held together with silicone oil for a year. I only have 2% vision in that eye now, so glare really bothers me when playing my pins. Is this PDI glass really that good and removes almost all the glare?

Then, someone responded to my comment with this:

Quoted from jfesler:

Db62 given your collection.. I will brashly assume you can try out at least one sheet of anti reflective glass.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    See this is what pisses me off about this or any other hobby that you might be involved with. This guy does NOT know ANYTHING about ME, or what I have gone through in my life. Just because I have some higher end pinball machines, does NOT mean that I have a lot of money at all. Trust me when I say, that I am way on the other end of this spectrum. My family income is average at BEST! I also have a major disability, that I am not going to even get into on here, nor should I have to.

The reason I have the pin collection that I do, is because my family likes pinball and arcade stuff and wanted to have a game room, dedicated theatre and big hot tub at HOME, where we can do these things TOGETHER as a FAMILY or they have a nice place to bring their friends over and have fun, or watch movies or sports in a SAFE place. So WE had to and HAVE to sacrifice every day, on MANY other things to have that collection, so please do NOT assume that I have a LOT of money, because we as a family do NOT.

We do NOT:
    Go on vacations.

Do not have newer cars or have purchased a new car (mine is 15 years old, with over 250,000 miles on it) and I have NOT been able to drive in over a year and a half now).

Splurge on many events or entertainment, outside of the house.

Shop at the store with MANY coupons and my wife goes on double coupon day at that ... LOL

Don't go out to eat a lot or do fast food.

We are very frugal in a lot of other areas as a family, because WE ALL ENJOY THIS PINBALL HOBBY, TOGETHER, AS A FAMILY!

LOTS of other stuff!

I do NOT:
    Drink or go out to the bars at all. I should NOT have to explain, but I do NOT drink because of the many medications I must take.
    I sacrificed many things, while bringing up my family, so I could do, what I have done ... but this took a LOT of time to happen.

My other eye is starting to have problems and if the same thing happens to my good eye, I would be legally blind in both eyes and then the pinball hobby is over for me, as would most other things. I don't want pitty from anybody, but you do NOT know shit about me or my family, so do NOT "assume" anything on my part. That is like seeing a person in a store and think they look great, yet they have cancer and will be dead in 2 months. They look fine to you on the OUTSIDE, but you don't know that they are very sick INSIDE.

Do NOT "ASSUME" or "JUDGE" anybody, if you know absolutely NOTHING about them. THANKS for letting me vent!

Dan

#2 4 years ago

Hi Dan,

Didn't see the original post but yes invisiglass is great in terms of reducing glare / reflection. I didn't believe it would make that much difference until I bought a sheet but it's great

In terms of expense. We all know everything in this hobby is expensive but IMO this is a worthwhile purchase. Hope it helps you to continuing enjoying playing

#3 4 years ago

Probably should stay out of this one but that was a fairly dick ish response.

Besides people with lots of cash don't go out ordering expensive things just to try, that's how they keep the cash in the first place...

It's stupid not to research purchases and I'm not sure what's up the responders butt. Gold maybe?

Oh and yes it's good a reducing glare. I have a sheet on one of mine.

#4 4 years ago

Wow, that was brash. Maybe someone in your area has a game with it installed already and could let you judge for yourself if it makes enough of a difference to warrant the cost. Very sorry to hear about your vision issues, but don't let a snarky comment get to you. It's only pinball!

#5 4 years ago

Maybe it's just me but this seems like a really silly thing to get all worked up about.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

Maybe it's just me but this seems like a really silly thing to get all worked up about.

Everyone has there opinion ... but if you have nice stuff, restored cars or a nice home, people just THINK you have lots of money. They do NOT know what you or your family had or have to sacrifice over many years to get that. You are ALWAYS being judged by someone and there is a lot more to it, than what people see and think.

#7 4 years ago

I will brashly assume you have not invited me over to play such an awesome collection because you are too busy.

Sorry to hear about the vision problems. Now that they know what happened to one eye do they have a better chance of saving the other one?

#8 4 years ago

Whatever is the issue here is not bad with the pinball hobby. It might be bad with life in general but poor old pinball need not be dragged into it.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

I will brashly assume you have not invited me over to play such an awesome collection because you are too busy.
    Sorry to hear about the vision problems. Now that they know what happened to one eye do they have a better chance of saving the other one?

LOL ... I will have you over one day, when I have everything in order, which is hopefully very soon. Yes, they are trying different things on my other eye and watching it very closely. I am just hoping for the best, thanks for asking.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Whatever is the issue here is not bad with the pinball hobby. It might be bad with life in general but poor old pinball need not be dragged into it.

Sure it does ... the comment was made by him, BECAUSE of my pinball collection, but you are right, that it also does reflect life in general.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

Everyone has there opinion ... but if you have nice stuff, restored cars or a nice home, people just THINK you have lots of money. They do NOT know what you or your family had or have to sacrifice over many years to get that. You are ALWAYS being judged by someone and there is a lot more to it, than what people see and think.

image.jpg

#12 4 years ago

I think you also should have quoted his entire post. He went on to give information as to where to get it, explains that your result will depend on the environment, and then his personal opinion of it.

Quoted from jfesler:

Db62 given your collection.. I will brashly assume you can try out at least one sheet of anti reflective glass. PDI and Jersey Jack are the two real vendors today, and nobody else has come up with a better or affordable solution. Jersey Jack's invisiglass ships one or two per cardboard shipping container. And shipping needs to be factored into the total price.
    As to will it help you? Only trying it will be certain. Some environments and some people do need it; some don't. I personally fell in love with it and have it for all my machines.

#13 4 years ago

Sometimes written posts can be taken out of context and can be easily misconstrued as it is only the "written text" we have to make judgements upon.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrDucks:

I think you also should have quoted his entire post. He went on to give information as to where to get it, explains that your result will depend on the environment, and then his personal opinion of it.

That part of his quote has NOTHING to do with what I am talking about here, or what he "BRASHLY ASSUMED" by his comments on my pinball collection. That comment by him, basically meant I should EASILY be able to AFFORD some PDI glass, because of what my pinball collection represents ... that's the point ... That was what he "ASSUMED" and was his "JUDGEMENT" of me, who he doesn't know ANYTHING about at all ... which is wrong and people shouldn't do that.

#15 4 years ago

The world isnt perfect... people especially. Possibly let it go and move on may be the best option.

#16 4 years ago

Ignore asshats and you will be a much happier person. IMHO.

#17 4 years ago

I'm not really seeing anything that offensive in that response, but maybe I'm just used to the RGP years over on Google Groups? I dunno.

I'm in your camp also. I Work six days a week forever, no vacas, but nice game room. Usually too tired to play it though. Lol. There are some posters here that migrated from Recreation.Games.Pinball, and man, did they openly attack everyone all the time. Mods and Robin are doing a great job of keeping them from pushing their misery here, but it's an uphill battle sometimes.

Just keep in mind that lots of the subtleties of conversation are lost in text. It's a two way street bro.

#18 4 years ago

What the hell is the thread about? There was nothing in the reply that warranted this outburst FFS life is too short go play some F'ing pinball....

Really is this what Pinside has descended into?

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

What the hell is the thread about? There was nothing in the reply that warranted this outburst FFS life is too short go play some F'ing pinball....
    Really is this what Pinside has descended into?

What did the glare do to you?

#20 4 years ago

Why is OP so bothered about an anonymous internet poster's opinion? Who cares? Why let an offhand comment work you up so badly? It's already over-done-with-gone. Forget it. No one is going to remember it or care next week, so why should you? It doesn't matter to me so much I'm draining the thread... no offense intended

#21 4 years ago

Quit whining and go buy some invisiglass. We have seen your collection, we know you can afford it you rich SOB

All joking aside I think PDI and invisiglass both work extremely well. I just purchased several more sheets from JJP. With your medical condition it may be really helpful.

#22 4 years ago

Mods, maybe lock thread? Can't see this one ending well.

#23 4 years ago

If it makes you feel better I'm not that impressed with your collection

#24 4 years ago

Welcome to forums.

The guy's comment to you was as gentle as they come. If you can't take that, you may want to seriously consider your ability to function on the internet.

#26 4 years ago

I have to tell you that in my experience with jfesler, he's a great guy. I don't know why what he said hit a nerve with you, but although you're entitled to your feelings about it, you're dead wrong in your response to his post. This is all drama about nothing. He simply made an observation that you have a shit ton of machines (you do), and trying a piece of glass out for $300 or less would be money well spent. Perhaps the way he worded it offended you...but it was cancelled out by the rest of his post (which you skilfully edited out) which was informative and helpful in answering your question.

I'm thinking you might need to take a deep breath here and maybe PM the guy an apology. He's been very helpful to me and many others on this forum.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

Someone made a post, about whether to purchase "Color DMD's" or "Inviziglass". I responded to his thread with this:
    I completely detached my retina AND macula in my left eye. I had 4 major surgeries and my eye was held together with silicone oil for a year. I only have 2% vision in that eye now, so glare really bothers me when playing my pins. Is this PDI glass really that good and removes almost all the glare?
    Then, someone responded to my comment with this:

I posted a YouTube link on the original thread showing a visual comparison between PDI Glass and Invisiglass.

Hope this helps.

#28 4 years ago

The guy even admitted he was being presumptuous in his post, then he offered some additional information. I would probably cool the jets on this one; but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

#29 4 years ago

I must be a jerk too. I see a guy in a Farrari and assume he can afford the tires.....

#30 4 years ago

This post makes me laugh my ass off. Getting pissed off about saying "brashly assumed"

Meaning:
    Brash or brashly: intrusive or presumptuous, as persons or their actions; insolently rude; uncivil:

So basically jfesler said he was being a @#$! to assume the guy could afford a piece of PDI glass. And tells him info about said glass.

Then DB62 gets pissed and thinks the guy was being a @#$! to assume he could afford a piece of PDI glass. And doesn't care what he had to say about it.

Oh PINSIDE, you so crazy!

Topics like this, are the answer to this Question.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/donations-to-pinside-and-the-grey-heart

#31 4 years ago

I think this has gotta be a big miscommunication. I've got to say this: jfesler (Jason) is an awesome guy who has helped me a lot (and continues to help me) with beta testing and debugging Pinside and helping others file bug reports and solve tech problems. He's likely one of the most helpful people on Pinside. Maybe you misread his post, but this is definitely not a bad guy.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from ssbodyman:

If it makes you feel better I'm not that impressed with your collection

I NEVER said it was impressive

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

I posted a YouTube link on the original thread showing a visual comparison between PDI Glass and Invisiglass.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you and it does. I appreciate that.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

This post makes me laugh my ass off. Getting pissed off about saying "brashly assumed"
    Meaning:
    Brash or brashly: intrusive or presumptuous, as persons or their actions; insolently rude; uncivil:
    So basically jfesler said he was being a @#$! to assume the guy could afford a piece of PDI glass. And tells him info about said glass.
    Then DB62 gets pissed and thinks the guy was being a @#$! to assume he could afford a piece of PDI glass. And doesn't care what he had to say about it.
    Oh PINSIDE, you so crazy!

Topics like this, are the answer to this Question.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/donations-to-pinside-and-the-grey-heart

Notice the word RUDE & UNCIVIL?

#35 4 years ago

I would have thanked him for his reply, advice and opinion ... if he wouldn't have put that 1st comment in there about my collection.

That was NOT needed at all, I was just asking for advice on the PDI glass, so why even say that?

To the people that have private messaged me ... THANKS! I also appreciate the well wishes with my eyes.

To the people on here that have answered the glass question and tried to help with JUST their opinions and advice ... THANKS!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

That part of his quote has NOTHING to do with what I am talking about here, or what he "BRASHLY ASSUMED" by his comments on my pinball collection. That comment by him, basically meant I should EASILY be able to AFFORD some PDI glass, because of what my pinball collection represents ... that's the point ... That was what he "ASSUMED" and was his "JUDGEMENT" of me, who he doesn't know ANYTHING about at all ... which is wrong and people shouldn't do that.

The "BAD" Part Of This Pinball Hobby ... people get too f'ing angry over nothing.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

That was NOT needed at all, I was just asking for advice on the PDI glass, so why even say that?

If you are going to get angry over everything not "needed" on Pinside.... well... hahah

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

i can understand what your saying.people see some things at my house have no clue and assume same thing..funny that many of these items picked out of garbage many years ago or traded etc.does not mean i can buy glass flipper kits etc..i don't really think comment came off rude to me but depend on the day i hear it.lol...really sorry about the blindness..same for me,50% vision in one eye only..i tried all kinds of glass,worthless glasses etc...my son and i had to settle with putting machines that i like to play in certain spots in our arcade to cut down on glare and weird blind spots..good luck and just keep trying different lighting when you get a chance..p.s..have you tried your vision with black light? i can see this better in arcade gun game

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

Notice the word RUDE & UNCIVIL?

YES. I think you took it out of context.
    He was stating it is rude "brash" of him to assume solely that by your collection you could afford it.

So in his defence, he used the word correctly.
    And you are getting upset for misunderstanding the context on which it was used.

Given your collection I would think the same thing. However that would be "brash; presumotious, rude and uncivil" of me to assume that, not knowing anything else about you.

Which he stated.

#41 4 years ago

sell your monster bash and buy 20 sheets

#42 4 years ago

Db62, never meant to cheese you off. Sorry if that is how it came out.

I don't know how you'll ever know if this stuff is worth it short of seeing it in person. My first look at your profile was to see where you live - to invite you over. We live a country apart. If you can find someone local, check it out in person.

#43 4 years ago

I have invisiglass on TRON, you know you are always welcome over to see it in person!

Just bring beer, I know you can afford it. Lol!

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I have invisiglass on TRON, you know you are always welcome over to see it in person!

Thanks Corey, I will do that sometime. Your very lean and buff these days ... so I will also bring you some pizza and ice cream ... you can consider it a cheat day for yourself

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

I don't know how you'll ever know if this stuff is worth it short of seeing it in person. My first look at your profile was to see where you live - to invite you over. We live a country apart. If you can find someone local, check it out in person.

THANKS for the apology! ... I apologize to you also!

It was a bad day/night yesterday for me and then I got some bad news.

I then read your post and it did hit a nerve ... how about we just say miscommunication on both are parts and leave it at that, with NO hard feelings at all?

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Problem is that your invisiglass has nutsack marks all over it.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

Dude, with your avatar you kinda need to be self centered and "cheese people off" now and then.

#48 4 years ago

>> I will brashly assume you can try out at least one sheet of anti reflective glass.

So can we confirm that you did this per his request?

#49 4 years ago

Honestly though, its a little hard to downplay how poor you are when you have $30,000 in pinball machines. Just because you don't go on vacations or go out to eat a lot doesn't mean anything. You've traded these aspects of life for an arcade.

Just don't get all upset when assumes you have money. You do, its just locked up in your basement.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Honestly though, its a little hard to downplay how poor you are when you have $30,000 in pinball machines. Just because you don't go on vacations or go out to eat a lot doesn't mean anything. You've traded these aspects of life for an arcade.
    Just don't get all upset when assumes you have money. You do, its just locked up in your basement.

Just because they might be worth that now, that doesn't mean that is what someone originally paid for them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside