Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by popeboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I seem to remember reading that the Atari pinballs, like Middle Earth, were somewhat sabotaged during production by being supplied substandard wood, via the machinations of competing pinball companies. Is that what has made them so scarce now, or are they just unpopular due to their slow play and wide-body layouts? What's your opinion - or have you seen any of these at shows, and I've just missed them?

#2 9 years ago

Superman was at the NW Pinball Show last weekend.

#3 9 years ago

A Superman was listed for the Texas show, but the guy decided not to bring it at the last minute. I was hoping to bring mine to the Atlanta show next week but I haven't finished restoring it yet. There was a very nice Space Riders in Allentown last month that I would have bought if I had lived closer.

#4 9 years ago

Now that you mention it - I do remember seeing a Superman at the PHoF in Vegas. But I haven't seen a Middle Earth or Atarians or Space Riders since I was a little kid, and I can't think of any other machines where this is the case.

#5 9 years ago

Atarians was at TPF.

#6 9 years ago

I just played a Superman at the Strong Museum in Rochester, it wasn't bad for the era.

#7 9 years ago

i am going to try to have my superman ready for next years PATZ

#8 9 years ago

My experience with those pins back in the day was how difficult they were to keep running. I had a Time 2000 and if you sneezed it would stop running. My guess is people don't want to risk moving them. To your point about the wood, my experience was that the playfields and cabinets were as well made as anyone else's. Sure love Superman, but honestly all the other ones were pretty awful and were hard to sell and keep running. The artwork sure was nice though and I thought having the score down at the apron was cool.

#9 9 years ago

personally, I like the way atari did things. The manuals would go step by step if you had a problem to help you troubleshoot what to check and fix. Only probably was the board was in the bottom of the cab. if you didn't have the cardboard protector over it, it could short out from screws falling on it. but overall not bad. Beasts to move since I think they are all widebodies.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you didn't have the cardboard protector over it,

Hmmm. My Middle Earth had a plastic protector on it.

The first show I ever went to was Pinball at the Zoo, about 6 or 7 years ago. After looking around the show for a game to buy, I decided on a Middle Earth. By the time I walked back to it to buy it for $250, it was already gone. I ended buying two of them for a bit more than that a few months later (I love the art on the game). I no longer have a working Middle Earth, but still have a mostly populated playfield resting against my arcade wall.

#11 9 years ago

I had a middle earth, I bought it for 75 broken. I fixed it, and sold it for 150.

#12 9 years ago

Space Riders was at the Game Warp tourney in Orlando, Florida one year.

Superman was at the Arcade and Pinball Expo (APE) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida one year.

Interesting games to play.

4 weeks later
#13 9 years ago

I'm bringing Middle Earth and Superman to California Extreme, in case anyone is itching to play an Atari pin...

#14 9 years ago

I see Hercules and Space Riders at just about every show.

#15 9 years ago

I just picked up a space riders and middle earth. Both were in storage since about 1980. Both are in awesome condition with no wear on pf's or bg, or cabs, though a bit dirty. The manuals are by far the most thorough I have ever seen. and I love the fact that all of the components are plugged rathered than soldiered. want to work on the flipper assembly, unscrew it and unplug it. no problems
My plan is to sell one and keep one. I think I over paid by reading the other posts, but at 200 a game, I think the BG's are worth that as art to me. both titles have super cool art, and both have really cool layouts for 76 or 77 whenever they were made.
If you are around west mi, and are interested in one, let me know. Open for trade ideas also
kruzman

#16 9 years ago

I really thought this was a thread about that horrible emo band that did the cover of Boys of Summer being crappy live.

https://www.facebook.com/theataris

Shows what I know...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-ataris-never-see-them-at-shows and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.