MGart24 (resized).jpg
MGart25 (resized).jpg
MGart22 (resized).jpg
MGart21 (resized).jpg
so let it be written (resized).jpg
IMG_1033 (resized).JPG
MGart20 (resized).jpg
MGart19 (resized).jpg
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

Welcome Matt...to the Thunder Dome that is Pinball.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Hey Matt!
I just purchased your NSX print from Society 6. Any story behind this one?

Sweet, thanks. Yeah completely unrelated from pinball, but for a time, I was doing a personal project painting my favorite cars. I grew up on Gran Turismo, and this was a quintessential car from the first game onward. In fact, I composed the shot in GT5 photo mode as the reference for this.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Bryan, you've got talent...
http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0690-initial-stage-reached-on-dream-of-cloning-woolly-mammoth-expert/
Once they clone these things, they're going to need somebody who remembers how to tame them.

Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick.

#54 7 years ago

So, in order to do that sweet BHZA artwork, you probably spent hours upon hours gazing upon numerous pictures of that handsome devil.

Now you might get to work with him. You're very brave. Congrats.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Bryan, you've got talent...
http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0690-initial-stage-reached-on-dream-of-cloning-woolly-mammoth-expert/
Once they clone these things, they're going to need somebody who remembers how to tame them.

I love Woolly Mammoths. Maybe Mr. Kelly can show me how to ride one.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I love Woolly Mammoths. Maybe Mr. Kelly can show me how to ride one.

Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

completely unrelated from pinball

Cool, love me some GT5. Actually you'll find many "carguments" have been used to justify a point or two around here...

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Don't touch the door don't touch the door don't touch the door don't touch the door don't touch the door don't touch the door

#59 7 years ago

Great work! The best thing to come from this JP fiasco, is your work and zombie yeti. I hope you both have long and prosperous careers in pinball!

#60 7 years ago

Your work is great... Would love to order some prints.

#61 7 years ago

IMG_6567 (resized).JPGIMG_6567 (resized).JPG

#62 7 years ago

The following are some environments I conceptualized for the game to help build the world of Magic Girl.

MGart2 (resized).jpgMGart2 (resized).jpg

MGart4 (resized).jpgMGart4 (resized).jpg

MGart3 (resized).jpgMGart3 (resized).jpg

MGart5 (resized).jpgMGart5 (resized).jpg

#63 7 years ago

Best of fortune on your professional career goals.
You could have a secondary market for art within this community beyond industrial manufacturing.
You just need that next gig.

#64 7 years ago

Here are the rest of the environments. Character illustrations still to come.

MGart7 (resized).jpgMGart7 (resized).jpg

MGart10 (resized).jpgMGart10 (resized).jpg

MGart8 (resized).jpgMGart8 (resized).jpg

MGart9 (resized).jpgMGart9 (resized).jpg

#65 7 years ago

Those are beautiful. You do amazing work.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#66 7 years ago

Magic Girl Character Illustrations:

MGart11 (resized).jpgMGart11 (resized).jpg

MGart12 (resized).jpgMGart12 (resized).jpg

MGart13 (resized).jpgMGart13 (resized).jpg

MGart14 (resized).jpgMGart14 (resized).jpg

MGart15 (resized).jpgMGart15 (resized).jpg

MGart16 (resized).jpgMGart16 (resized).jpg

MGart18 (resized).jpgMGart18 (resized).jpg

MGart17 (resized).jpgMGart17 (resized).jpg

MGart19 (resized).jpgMGart19 (resized).jpg

MGart20 (resized).jpgMGart20 (resized).jpg

#67 7 years ago

I think you will be getting lots of work, my friend!

#68 7 years ago

Wow these are incredibly beautiful. Thanks for sharing your work!

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Send me an email or DM, and I'd love to talk about it.

IMG_1033 (resized).JPGIMG_1033 (resized).JPG

#70 7 years ago

those look great. that'd be great on any wall.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Magic Girl Character Illustrations:

huh.... I think I'm in love with Magic Girl.... can you PM me her phone-number?

#72 7 years ago

Stunning work. So impresssive.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Send me an email or DM, and I'd love to talk about it.

so let it be written (resized).jpgso let it be written (resized).jpg

#74 7 years ago

Those character illustrations are fantastic. It's funny to see Tesla involved in the theme of the game.

It's like, here's a whole gamut of wizards, immortal pharaohs, a Hindu Yogi, philosopher's stones, alchemists, anthropomorphic Golems, Jins, and then there's little old Nikola Tesla doing his electricity stuff. I don't mean that as a criticism, but I think if Magic Girl had (has?) a story line, to me, it looks like it'd be a battle between magic and science.

Or, something like all the good guys vs an evil genie (a la TotAN).

#75 7 years ago

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys.
Below are some of the interface elements I mocked up for the programmer(s).

MGart21 (resized).jpgMGart21 (resized).jpg

MGart22 (resized).jpgMGart22 (resized).jpg

#76 7 years ago

Great work! There is a dragon in MG, or is that where one of the character lives?

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Great work! There is a dragon in MG, or is that where one of the character lives?

The first thing I did for MG was to paint her with a dragon. I don't know if it's referenced in the final game, though.

#78 7 years ago

More characters:

MGart25 (resized).jpgMGart25 (resized).jpg

MGart24 (resized).jpgMGart24 (resized).jpg

MGart23 (resized).jpgMGart23 (resized).jpg

MGart26 (resized).jpgMGart26 (resized).jpg

MGart32 (resized).jpgMGart32 (resized).jpg

#79 7 years ago

I was sad to hear American Pinball hired another artist for the production version of Houdini. You have definitely set the bar high on that art package.

Are you able to sell any of that art or is it owned by American Pinball?

Thanks

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I was sad to hear American Pinball hired another artist for the production version of Houdini. You have definitely set the bar high on that art package.
Are you able to sell any of that art or is it owned by American Pinball?
Thanks

Hey, a fellow Carolinian.

Sadly, no I'm not able to sell any Houdini art. I was told not to, and it's not worth it to fight it.

I guess they were just trying to completely leave what JPOP and I did on the game for their official release. I talked with John briefly about it, and they may revisit it later as a "Zidware Edition" or something, so hopefully all the work we put into it will see the light of day in some form other than that first prototype. Every industry has art that doesn't make it into the final product, so it happens. Thank you for thinking my artwork set the bar high though. For whatever reason they didn't ask me to keep working on the project, I have a feeling they'll want me on whatever they do next.

#81 7 years ago

mandraws
Did you ever consider creating original artwork for other pinball machines? I suppose you would have to leave the machine's name off the translite in order to not awaken the copyright trolls. There are many machines out there that would benefit from an improved translite, just an idea.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

mandraws
Did you ever consider creating original artwork for other pinball machines? I suppose you would have to leave the machine's name off the translite in order to not awaken the copyright trolls. There are many machines out there that would benefit from an improved translite, just an idea.

I hadn't really considered that, but I think it's a neat idea. What are some popular games that would benefit from a fresh coat of paint?

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

I hadn't really considered that, but I think it's a neat idea. What are some popular games that would benefit from a fresh coat of paint?

I replaced the translite of my TOTAN with some translite from Europe (Netherlands I think). Looks cool from the distance but close-up it is of poor print quality and blurry.
TOTAN already has a half way decent translite, but then there a are good games that suffer from poor translites, like Shadow (Aurich made a nice replacement), Johnny Mnemonic, Last Action Hero, Demo Man and Congo just to name a few.
I think Whirlwind would be a nice theme even so the current artwork is pretty decent.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

I replaced the translite of my TOTAN with some translite from Europe (Netherlands I think). Looks cool from the distance but close-up it is of poor print quality and blurry.
TOTAN already has a half way decent translite, but then there a are good games that suffer from poor translites, like Shadow (Aurich made a nice replacement), Johnny Mnemonic, Last Action Hero, Demo Man and Congo just to name a few.

BSD

#85 7 years ago

To conclude my art posts in this thread, the final pieces I did for MG: A set of creatures and the magic mirror. I'm glad I was able to share all the work I did for this game, and in the process I got some new ideas and business opportunities.

MGart31 (resized).jpgMGart31 (resized).jpg

MGart27 (resized).jpgMGart27 (resized).jpg

MGart30 (resized).jpgMGart30 (resized).jpg

MGart28 (resized).jpgMGart28 (resized).jpg

MGart29 (resized).jpgMGart29 (resized).jpg

#86 7 years ago

heh. that lion saw makes no sense. Crazy john. What's the lion for? Just to eat your carcass after the saws rip you to bits? So strange.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

heh. that lion saw makes no sense. Crazy john. What's the lion for? Just to eat your carcass after the saws rip you to bits? So strange.

he was just trying to one up his tiger saw from TOM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-art-of-magic-girl/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.