MGart24 (resized).jpg
MGart25 (resized).jpg
MGart22 (resized).jpg
MGart21 (resized).jpg
so let it be written (resized).jpg
IMG_1033 (resized).JPG
MGart20 (resized).jpg
MGart19 (resized).jpg
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Hello everyone, my name is Matt Andrews, a 27-year old illustrator living in South Carolina, and the lesser known artist behind Magic Girl , Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland , and most lately, Houdini . This thread will be a place for me to share the artwork I did for Magic Girl now that the cabinets are finally being delivered. Many of you have probably heard of ZombieYeti, who did the backglass and playfield art, but I also did a huge amount of art for the game that is used on the outside of the cabinet and for the digital displays. To start, I've attached the first painting I did for John after he asked me to work on the project in 2012, and I'll be rolling out more pieces in the days and weeks to come.

Constructive comments and questions are very welcomed. Enjoy.

MGart (resized).jpgMGart (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Looks great. Welcome to the fold and glad you're not in the shadows any longer. I think you'll find a great deal of people here that admire the work you contributed to MG.

#3 7 years ago

Were you promised a machine too?

#5 7 years ago

Welcome! Loved the art on BHZA. Contacted you a year and a half ago about buying a print of this:
http://mandraws.com/post/48566983289/posters-digital-promotional-pieces

tumblr_mlmp6jvrwZ1rtd9lro1_r3_500 (resized).jpgtumblr_mlmp6jvrwZ1rtd9lro1_r3_500 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Are you still working on RAZA?

#7 7 years ago

Love the artwork... Looking forward to your updates.

#8 7 years ago

Love the work! Hopefully more of your work makes it into pinball machines that ship

Also, Kman was right, worth trying to get permission to sell some prints

#9 7 years ago

The art is incredible! Both you and Zombie's work is incredibly good. I didn't quite understand why a single artist didn't do the art for both the playfield and the cabinet though?

Thanks for the lengthy introduction on a recent unmentionable podcast. It was interesting to hear about your origin story and how you met John and worked with him.

I don't know if it's worth your or Zombie's time/effort, but I bet some slick looking pinball t-shirts with great art would sell out...

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Were you promised a machine too?

No, I was never promised a machine. I was introduced to the pinball industry by JPOP, and didn't know what to expect. I just treated it as a normal freelance project, which at the time, I had only a handful under my belt. I didn't have the space to store a pinball machine anyway, so I would have declined if I was being paid with a cabinet.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Welcome! Loved the art on BHZA. Contacted you a year and a half ago about buying a print of this:

Quoted from sd_tom:

Love the work! Hopefully more of your work makes it into pinball machines that ship
Also, Kman was right, worth trying to get permission to sell some prints

I'll let you guys know as soon as I have the go-ahead to sell prints. I'll probably be putting them up on Redbubble so lots of different memorabilia is possible from posters to phone cases.

#12 7 years ago

Wanna job?

#14 7 years ago

Ben's not messing around.

Brace for another JPop rant about those other companies stealing his ideas because of their egos.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Are you still working on RAZA?

Haha, I can only hope for the sake of all who purchased the game that I'm done with RAZA. I don't know the status of their assembly, but I'd like to make a future post for the art I did for that machine as well.

#16 7 years ago

mandraws you seriously need to take Ben up.

#17 7 years ago

Well first of all, Ben, I'd like to say I'm a huge fan of your portable game consoles, and I've watched almost every episode of TBHS. Send me an email or DM, and I'd love to talk about it.

#18 7 years ago

YES! do it!

#19 7 years ago

From Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland to Ben Heck's Bible Adventures.

Sounds good.

#20 7 years ago

My next game isn't Bible Adventures. Pretty far from it, actually

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Go on...

#22 7 years ago

Very cool

Hope you land a great gig in pinball and out of weed whacking.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Ben is the biggest tease in pinball

Looking forward to seeing the project you and Spooky come up with, keep being awesome.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Hmmm... the Necronomicon is pretty far from the Bible. OMG PLEASE be Evil Dead. Actually, please don't, I can't swing another game for a while

#25 7 years ago

Sorry to derail, who needs resumes when you have message boards. Looking forward to a potential future collaboration with Spooky!

#26 7 years ago

Do you sell original art? Can I commission something from you?

#27 7 years ago

You don't REALLY need to get permission from jpoop before you sell anything, do you??

#28 7 years ago

Thanks for being on the podcast. It was quite an interesting story. I think if you worked on anything with Ben (which means Spooky) it would be a great chance to continue making great pinball art.

#29 7 years ago

mandraws you should definitely look into coming to the southern fried gameroom expo in Atlanta this year it would be a great opportunity to show/sell some prints and meet the community

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

S...Satan's Adventures?

#31 7 years ago

Amazing art and now a new possible gig in the industry?!?!

This thread is already positively awesome!

THIS is what pinside should be about. Rock on bro!

#32 7 years ago

Hope you can be a contributor to the hobby on a long term basis! Your art rocks!

#33 7 years ago

I know the Magic Girl and Houdini projects have been train wrecks, but I have to say that when I first saw them I wanted them.. based entirely on the awesome artwork. Nice work! Love to see original hand drawn art coming back to pinball.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Do you sell original art? Can I commission something from you?

The downside to more work in pinball is less time for private commissions. Concerning the prints, none of the IPs are mine, so I'm assuming selling prints would get me in trouble, but I'm still waiting on confirmation there.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

mandraws you should definitely look into coming to the southern fried gameroom expo in Atlanta this year it would be a great opportunity to show/sell some prints and meet the community

That would be awesome. Atlanta is not too far away from me, so I'll check it out.

#36 7 years ago

Welcome to the pinball community ! Like Zombie Yeti you guys are at least something positive to come out of Jpop.

Please sell your prints too ! Jeremy did and they sold out like hotcakes.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

The downside to more work in pinball is less time for private commissions. Concerning the prints, none of the IPs are mine, so I'm assuming selling prints would get me in trouble, but I'm still waiting on confirmation there.

Just do something "in the likeness of" call it something else = PROFIT!!!!!

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Concerning the prints, none of the IPs are mine, so I'm assuming selling prints would get me in trouble, but I'm still waiting on confirmation there.

I can't believe jpoop would even have the nerve to open his mouth!

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I can't believe jpoop would even have the nerve to open his mouth!

i can.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Not a lawyer... but if this was work for hire and you were never paid anything tangible I'd guess you actually own the artwork. Basically due to breach of contact (no payment on their part) you need not follow through your your commitment.

#41 7 years ago

He stated he was paid in full

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Hello everyone, my name is Matt Andrews, a 27-year old illustrator living in South Carolina, and the lesser known artist behind Magic Girl , Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland , and most lately, Houdini . This thread will be a place for me to share the artwork I did for Magic Girl now that the cabinets are finally being delivered. Many of you have probably heard of ZombieYeti, who did the backglass and playfield art, but I also did a huge amount of art for the game that is used on the outside of the cabinet and for the digital displays. To start, I've attached the first painting I did for John after he asked me to work on the project in 2012, and I'll be rolling out more pieces in the days and weeks to come.
Constructive comments and questions are very welcomed. Enjoy.

SHIT, man!! I'm only going to say this once, Matt. Guys like you really piss me off. Because you have this kind of talent and I don't.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

That picture for BHZA is what the game should have been. Love it.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

That would be awesome. Atlanta is not too far away from me, so I'll check it out.

Definitely see if you can make it, it's a great time!

#45 7 years ago

Hey Matt!

I just purchased your NSX print from Society 6. Any story behind this one?

acura-nsx-4me-prints (resized).jpgacura-nsx-4me-prints (resized).jpg

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

SHIT, man!! I'm only going to say this once, Matt. Guys like you really piss me off. Because you have this kind of talent and I don't.

Bryan, you've got talent...

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0690-initial-stage-reached-on-dream-of-cloning-woolly-mammoth-expert/

Once they clone these things, they're going to need somebody who remembers how to tame them.

#47 7 years ago

Your artwork is fantastic, Matt...you've got the total package - you're a great character designer, your compositions are tight, perspective is great, poses are exciting, color, lighting and attention to detail are excellent...and you're only 27!?!? Looking forward to seeing your career unfold, in pinball or otherwise.

#48 7 years ago

awesome art!!!!

#49 7 years ago

Matt -

Great interview on the K Podcast... really enjoyed listening to it. You're one talented dude. Congrats on blowing-up the pinball world with your contributions to Magic Girl and Houdini. Spectacular work!

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Hey Matt!
I just purchased your NSX print from Society 6. Any story behind this one?

I love NSX's. Nice looking cars.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-art-of-magic-girl/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.