(Topic ID: 307155)

The April O'Neill Animation MOD for Stern's TMNT (Ninja Turtles)

By Scandell

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230131_195732 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230131_200325 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230131_201227 (resized).jpg
E307EE3B-E81E-48D8-8B3B-74330EFF7BC6 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
moz (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
3D4618FC-8035-4E98-A4B0-5235C5178A59 (resized).jpeg
31AB3CCE-6E0D-4DDC-8FCF-5FB235950434 (resized).jpeg
F754F8BE-0A00-49BD-A706-672520AEE242 (resized).png
E5E93440-DDEB-4F96-B802-3C8AB06ABDE6 (resized).jpeg
16414281524688798184128357590580 (resized).jpg
16413415220019101477923615978387 (resized).jpg
20220104_091622 (resized).jpg
16410678271491333591553446348254 (resized).jpg
VanSpotted_Final (0-00-01-01) (resized).jpg
There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 2 years ago

In collaboration with pinsider, cabal I am happy to announce the first-of-its-kind CUSTOM ANIMATION MOD for a modern Pinball Machine!

Current supported STERN CODE: (1.5)

The April O'Neill Animation mod has been created for Stern's 2020 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pinball Machine (PRO, PREMIUM and LE)

Countless hours went into the animations of this mod, and it was created by myself and a number of talented 3D artists.

This mod was designed as a visual patch to improve upon Stern's production animations of the character April O'Neill. There will be updates and improvements as time goes on.

This DOES NOT replace all of Stern's animation footage. Only the April O'Neill stuff. We also found other moments to introduce MORE April. (The MATCH animations at Game Over and the Ball Lock animations to name a few)

Current bugs: We are trying to improve upon the saturation and gamma as my footage feels a tad on the gray side.
There are still a few April shots left that we haven't replaced...those will be handled on future updates.
Stern changed some of the audio callouts in their recent 1.5 release...so some audio lipsync is off. (As you guys know: sometimes audio and video don't get cued simultaneously due to a number of compound events that occur in-game)

Feel free to report bugs you notice directly to me.

PRICE: This mod is free to download and try out. Enjoy! Though feel free to buy me a coffee to keep me going on future updates! (If you need me to ship you a SD card...I can do that)

HOW TO OBTAIN THIS LATEST VERSION: PM me for access to these files and please do not distribute to others without my permission.

Please re-access that private link and ensure that the resulting file downloaded is "jurassic_park_le-1_02_30TS_D31_FINAL0903.rar"

INSTALLATION: (Copied from the Jurassic Park Movie Mod post by @timlah79) (Though I have used Balena Etcher on PC and it works great for this)

PC Users: It's recommended to use Win32DiskImager, *not* Balena Etcher to flash this version to your new SD. Again you need to know how to do this in general. It is not a .SPK / USB based version. When using Win32DiskImager, make sure you change the drop-down upon loading the .RAW file to "All Files" since it looks for .IMG by default. Doing that, then selecting my .RAW file should flash to your SD without issue.

Mac Users: From the feedback I've gotten it seems that you *can* use Balena Etcher without issues. For PC folks, not recommended.

April is an excellent host to the world of TMNT pinball. It's been really fun breathing life into her performance and it was my goal to help bridge the gap between Zombie Yeti's amazing cabinet and playfield art and the animations.

Being the first mod of its kind, I am interested to discover how this mod is received in the community and by the manufacturer. Although it is a daily occurrence to see pinball community members produce custom physical toy/light and gadget mods and make profit on them...some of those mods are actually theft of intellectual property ownership. The recent Godzilla toy sculpt swipe/mod I saw is only a recent example of actual IP thieving. Pinside seems ok with this, the pinball community seems ok with this, some Manufactures seem ok with this. I am not sure what to think, and I don't want to engage in any legal trouble.

Footage Trailer:

April NEW (resized).jpgApril NEW (resized).jpgVanSpotted_Final (0-00-01-01) (resized).jpgVanSpotted_Final (0-00-01-01) (resized).jpg

UPDATE: JANUARY 31st 2023

Hi!
Let me apologize for the radio silence!
After an extensive amount of safety testing we have finally decided to release an updated April O'neil animation mod for your Stern TMNT PRO/PREMIUM/LE pinball machines! WOOT! The last thing we wanted to do was release something that wasn't tested properly....and we didn't want to contribute to your machine getting bricked! That being said...as with all custom amateur mods....use this mod at your own risk.

I am no longer requiring personal requests for download. This is the folder with your software update! Be sure to pick the correct version that matches your installed software version to your TMNT machine. ALSO, be sure to pick the correct PRO vs PREMIUM/LE version.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LHMs54jwqYx1H0Zr85vf7ZWGo78yyg2b?usp=sharing

Please comment in the thread to give the our mod some a publicity boost! It’s also a great place to ask for any assistance if needed.

We do have some planned updates for this mod:

1. A updated visual pass on April's hair style
2. A more spiderverse like toon-shader pass on her rendering.
3. A Baxter Stockman animation remaster

My animation team wants to get back on this project.

Donations for caffeinated beverages that aid in the creating of mods such as this can go to:
PayPal: [email protected]
Venmo: @Stephen-Candell

#2 2 years ago

I have been following Scandell ’s progress in the TMNT thread. It really is incredible what he and his team have created. I’ll be installing this as soon as possible and will report back. Thanks for this groundbreaking mod!!

#3 2 years ago

Excellent work!!

#4 2 years ago

I’m at work now but honestly can’t wait to get home to try it out. Thanks for doing April justice.

#5 2 years ago

Amazing! Hope Stern reaches out to you for future collaborations. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to installing this.

#6 2 years ago

I read that spooky is currently rotating through animators and looking for someone more permanent. SpookyCharlie SpookyLuke snap Scandell up!!

#7 2 years ago

Downloading right now !!! Thanks again Stephen !!! Great work again !!! I will update once I have made it through.

#8 2 years ago

Anyone able to burn this yet? I keep getting an access is denied message from win32.

16410678271491333591553446348254 (resized).jpg16410678271491333591553446348254 (resized).jpg
#9 2 years ago

Do you have to use an 8GB card or will 16 work?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

I use 16. I also use balena etcher

#11 2 years ago

Make sur to format your SD or Micro SD before to FAT32.

I think any card bigger than 16GB will work. I'm using 32GB

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Anyone able to burn this yet? I keep getting an access is denied message from win32.

Quoted from Jerickso77:

both should work. Have you tried to start w32imager with administrator rights?
i think this is needed

#13 2 years ago

Awesome work! Improves tremendously my only previous issue with the game!

#14 2 years ago

I works !!! Some voices are missing but it was supposed to. The animations are awesome !

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

both should work. Have you tried to start w32imager with administrator rights?
i think this is needed

Opened Win 32 as admin and still denied.

#16 2 years ago

This looks outstanding and has been fun to follow. Congratulations on completion and going public, you are a credit to the community!

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

mhh when i google: "win32 disk imager error 5 access is denied"
there are a lot things about it, but it looks like something your side not the image. Maybe try balena etcher, on some pcs it just works, it's worth a try.
If it does not work, maybe use the write utility in pinball browser?

#18 2 years ago

It is insane how much better this looks than the Stern original. Amazing work!

#19 2 years ago

Tip, don't forget to reset your presets. I lost my adjustments. A bit like an update on older games. Takes 5 minutes but after that, everything fines.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

mhh when i google: "win32 disk imager error 5 access is denied"
there are a lot things about it, but it looks like something your side not the image. Maybe try balena etcher, on some pcs it just works, it's worth a try.
If it does not work, maybe use the write utility in pinball browser?

Yep. It's on my end. Re using an SD card so had to do some other things to fix that up first.

#21 2 years ago

Wow, this is MOST impressive and not at all what I expected when opening this thread

#22 2 years ago

Paypal donation sent. You deserve it, again nice work. Hope for more updates !

#23 2 years ago

Nice work ! I'll get this loaded up soon !

#24 2 years ago

Ugh. Finally got the SD card cleaned up, write was successful but game doesn't boot. I'll reformat and try again I guess.

#25 2 years ago

Cowabunga! This might just be one of the best mods in pinball period! Amazing work, Stern or Spooky need to hire you!

#26 2 years ago

Sent pm thanks for this

#27 2 years ago

Just played a few games. Outstanding work! Fingers crossed it will work with insider connected when my kits come. Best start to New Years!

#28 2 years ago

Very cool work. I just installed and played a quick game. Love the updated animations.
As I do for all of my games:

I used a 16GB Sandisk card with Balena etcher.
I backup settings to a USB drive and then restore.

Insert that USB drive carefully. That board flexes quite a bit when you insert a USB.

#29 2 years ago

Excellent job. This makes the animations so much more enjoyable.

#30 2 years ago

I don't own a TMNT, but if I did, this would be going straight on it. This looks like a huge upgrade, awesome work!

#31 2 years ago

Very cool. It seems you've certainly got a type!

#32 2 years ago

Installed using an 8gb and the Win32DiskImager utility without any issues. Looks amazing - thanks Scandell for your hard work!

#33 2 years ago

I don't own TMNT but am highly impressed with the quality of these new animations. Kudos to everyone involved.

#34 2 years ago

Now you gotta redo the Turtles and everyone else to match the new April style.

#35 2 years ago

Fan-flippin’-tastic, Scandell! I hope you’ll play with animations for other games as well. I really feel like this is the next wave of mods- seeing this and Rudy’s Nightmare for Funhouse as well as the various offerings for Creature From The Black Lagoon.

There’s a number of games I’d love to see new video and animation elements for. Again, great job!

#36 2 years ago

This is amazing! Super excited to add to my game! Thanks for doing all the hard work and sharing with us!!!

#37 2 years ago

This is absolutely amazing. Thanks so much for this. Can't wait to give this a whirl.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Where do you have Win32DiskImager saved? Where are its executable files?

If you are running on a limited (non-admin) account, or fail to run "as admin" (right-click, run as Administrator), this could be another reason.

My 2c, log out. Log back in, as an administrative account, uninstall Win32DiskImager. Reboot. Log back in as admin, download, scan for viruses, and install new copy of Win32DiskImager.

Once installed, reboot again.

Log back in with admin account. Attempt to run the Win32DiskImager as admin.

#39 2 years ago

Wow, this is great. The animation style reminds me of "Into the Spiderverse". I wish Stern would hire you!

#40 2 years ago

Just installed and it looks great. Thanks Stephen! I encourage all to add to their TMNT and be sure to donate.

#41 2 years ago

Thank you so much for making this! It looks amazing.

PM has been sent, hoping I can get a loaded SD card sent out. I’ll be happy to compensate/donate

#42 2 years ago

This looks super legit! Definitely going to get this loaded as soon as I can figure it out! Thank you for all the work that went into this mod!

#43 2 years ago

I don’t own a TMNT, but I just wanted to chime in and say that this is *extremely* impressive! My hat is off to you!

As a side note, I also showed this to my eight year old daughter, since she has expressed an interest in 3D modeling in order to create her own models for our 3D printer. Her eyes lit up seeing this, so you have hopefully sparked a new passion in her!

#44 2 years ago

OMG! I don’t own Turtles either, but this is incredible work.

#45 2 years ago

Stern should really license this for there future roms

#46 2 years ago

Really very nice work that looks extremely professional and not like homebrew. From
What I‘ve seen in the video I really dig the 2-balls-animation. What about April getting red cheeks when she looks down and recognizes the 2 balls-„scenario“ before she lets them fall…would be a nice idea for one of the next releases maybe

#47 2 years ago

Amazing work! I can't wait to get this on my TMNT LE.

#48 2 years ago

Nice... I will try asap !

#49 2 years ago

Can't wait to add this to my game.

Is there a best method to backing up my settings and high scores to restore to this new code?

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from BaxterStockman:

Can't wait to add this to my game.
Is there a best method to backing up my settings and high scores to restore to this new code?

stick in usb stick -> utility ->save
when the new card is installed.
utility -> load

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-april-o-neill-animation-mod-for-stern-s-tmnt-ninja-turtles-?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.