(Topic ID: 307155)

The April O'Neill Animation MOD for Stern's TMNT (Ninja Turtles)

By Scandell

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230131_195732 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230131_200325 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230131_201227 (resized).jpg
E307EE3B-E81E-48D8-8B3B-74330EFF7BC6 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
moz (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
3D4618FC-8035-4E98-A4B0-5235C5178A59 (resized).jpeg
31AB3CCE-6E0D-4DDC-8FCF-5FB235950434 (resized).jpeg
F754F8BE-0A00-49BD-A706-672520AEE242 (resized).png
E5E93440-DDEB-4F96-B802-3C8AB06ABDE6 (resized).jpeg
16414281524688798184128357590580 (resized).jpg
16413415220019101477923615978387 (resized).jpg
20220104_091622 (resized).jpg
16410678271491333591553446348254 (resized).jpg
VanSpotted_Final (0-00-01-01) (resized).jpg

There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for helping me I got it downloaded and it is great.

#252 1 year ago

I wanted to say thanks to Scandal n Cabal for a great mod. I’ve only got to play one game but seen animation n it’s great nice job.

#253 1 year ago

I had a weird thing happen today with my game. The game boots up, when you hit start and the playfield goes black and reboots. Everything was working as it should until yesterday. I noticed on startup when it finishes booting up, it would play the theme song as if I was turning up the volume. I didnt think much of it and continued. Today it would do the same thing but not start a game. I noticed it randomly rebooted. When I hit the start button, the playfield goes dark and the game would reboot.
Here is my setup and what I did to fix it:
I have a premium with shaker motor, Stern volume controls on the front door, Stern topper, Flipper Fidelity 5.25" speakers with Speaker Led kit. Im also running the custom 1.51 April code on a new SD card. About a week ago I added the LED speaker kit. It plugs into the the bill validator power in the power supply.
I put the original SD card back in the game with v1.50 and had no issue. I also burned another SD card with the custom 1.51 April code on it and im having no issues. I put the problem SD card back in the game and a USB stick to back up all the setting. I then put my newly made SD card back in the back and restored only the high scores. Still no problems.
Just as another note..I did have the my game go dark during Turtle multi-ball
Anyways, all seems good now. Just want to let everyone know in case someone runs into the same issue. Hope this helps

#254 1 year ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I had a weird thing happen today with my game. The game boots up, when you hit start and the playfield goes black and reboots. Everything was working as it should until yesterday. I noticed on startup when it finishes booting up, it would play the theme song as if I was turning up the volume. I didnt think much of it and continued. Today it would do the same thing but not start a game. I noticed it randomly rebooted. When I hit the start button, the playfield goes dark and the game would reboot.
Here is my setup and what I did to fix it:
I have a premium with shaker motor, Stern volume controls on the front door, Stern topper, Flipper Fidelity 5.25" speakers with Speaker Led kit. Im also running the custom 1.51 April code on a new SD card. About a week ago I added the LED speaker kit. It plugs into the the bill validator power in the power supply.
I put the original SD card back in the game with v1.50 and had no issue. I also burned another SD card with the custom 1.51 April code on it and im having no issues. I put the problem SD card back in the game and a USB stick to back up all the setting. I then put my newly made SD card back in the back and restored only the high scores. Still no problems.
Just as another note..I did have the my game go dark during Turtle multi-ball
Anyways, all seems good now. Just want to let everyone know in case someone runs into the same issue. Hope this helps

don't think it's the april code, ist may happened that the sd-card went bad. Even that most of the files on gameplay are readonly there are some that contain the highscores are written on the sd-card. If something in this process happens it may have impact. Rewriting the sd-card or a new sd-card can help. If the error still is there it may be something different causing the reboot.
Custom code can be tricky, sometimes you can also change the software to write the sd-card. Like some people have problems with balena etcher for others it's totally ok. The turtle Multiball error seems to be present through several version. I don't think anybody was able to track down the exact cause for it.
From my experience on old code i hade the impression that at least once the error occurs more often on newly written sd-cards. Then it did not occur that often. hope it works now and stays like this.

#255 1 year ago

Good interview Scandall! Really enjoyed it! TMNT is probably ZY’s best artwork package period and is very much an adult theme pinball machine (Even though Kman the ultimate hypocrite tries to say otherwise (after all he loves and promotes continuously, nursery/kiddie IP Toy Story as a pinball theme, lol). Jeremy’s artwork was so good that Nickelodeon took notice and hired him as one of their professional artist. Your mod greatly enhances Stern’s TMNT videonart package and puts it more inline with what ZY created on the machine. Big thanks again!

#256 1 year ago

What interview?

#257 1 year ago

Scandall did an interview on the K-Club.

#258 1 year ago

The interview was great! This mod is a total game changer and makes the whole TMNT package better!

#259 1 year ago
Quoted from bajm:

The interview was great!

Where can we see/hear/read the interview?

#261 1 year ago

Kaneda's patreon page has the podcast/interview. Totally worth the $5 a month. He puts out a ton of great content.

Scandell thanks for doing that interview! It was really interesting to hear your perspective. I work primarily in the SQL space and do business analytics. Scope creep is a big problem in any field involving technology so I relate to some of the red flags you mentioned. Anyways thanks for giving us all some insight into what it was like at DR.

#262 1 year ago

You guys are the best. Thanks for the support and donations.

#263 1 year ago

Thanks for making such a good mod. Hopefully not your last ! Thanks for the very open Kaneda Podcast interview.
We need more stand up people like you in pinball !

1 week later
#264 1 year ago

Is there a Link to the April Oneil MOD? I just downloaded the 1.51 Code and would love to get this as part of my game. Looking forward to seeing it in action

#265 1 year ago
Quoted from Thorn-in-pinball:

Is there a Link to the April Oneil MOD? I just downloaded the 1.51 Code and would love to get this as part of my game. Looking forward to seeing it in action

Message OP for details

2 weeks later
#266 1 year ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Message OP for details

Anyone hear from Scandell in awhile? PM him a few times but never heard back. Is there an easier way to get in touch with him? Would love to get this mod in the game. Got special Cowabunga powder coated side rails, topper, slime mods and button mod from Back alley, added a few characters (Bebop and Rock steady). Going to add a small 5" monitor to my bottom arch and then I'm done modding this one.

1 week later
#267 1 year ago
Quoted from Thorn-in-pinball:

Anyone hear from Scandell in awhile? PM him a few times but never heard back. Is there an easier way to get in touch with him? Would love to get this mod in the game. Got special Cowabunga powder coated side rails, topper, slime mods and button mod from Back alley, added a few characters (Bebop and Rock steady). Going to add a small 5" monitor to my bottom arch and then I'm done modding this one.

same here

#268 1 year ago

Hello everybody, maybe someone who still have the cloud link could share it on PM ? thanks a lot

#269 1 year ago
Quoted from budubub:

Hello everybody, maybe someone who still have the cloud link could share it on PM ? thanks a lot

You’ll need to message OP.

2 weeks later
#270 1 year ago

I've been off the grid for the last little bit. Finally caught up on the PMs. Work has been crazy and I coach little league...

#271 1 year ago
Quoted from Scandell:

I coach little leag

ahhhh little league. I remember those days. Cherris them.

#272 1 year ago

Fantastic mod! Thank you Scandell!

1 month later
#273 1 year ago

This is great! Thank you!

#274 1 year ago

This looks great! Can't wait to try it out

#275 1 year ago
Quoted from Scandell:

I've been off the grid for the last little bit. Finally caught up on the PMs. Work has been crazy and I coach little league...

Any update as to when your next installment is to be done? The summer code mod you spoke about?

#276 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Any update as to when your next installment is to be done? The summer code mod you spoke about?

Honestly we haven’t gotten very far with it yet. It keeps get out-prioritized by other efforts.

#277 1 year ago
Quoted from Ninja2bceen:

I assume any 16 gb sd card will do 10 speed ya? Any suggestions otherwise? Sd card purchase inbound

I've also used 32gb cards many times. They seem easier to find these days than 16gb ones. So far I haven't run into any problems.

The Stern Spike 2 System seems to be able to handle cards that size without issue. So either way you should be good.

#278 1 year ago

new code 1.52 is out, let's see if it is possible to modify.

#279 1 year ago

Code can be modified only minor changes and fixes.

#280 1 year ago

Is there any issue with using this custom code to update my machine? Meaning, I’m currently running a pre-insider connected version of the software. Can I just use the April custom code and allow that to update my node boards? Or is this not advised?

#281 1 year ago
Quoted from NovaCade:

Is there any issue with using this custom code to update my machine? Meaning, I’m currently running a pre-insider connected version of the software. Can I just use the April custom code and allow that to update my node boards? Or is this not advised?

if you do an update in any way, you would overwrite custom code. With new enhanced insider connected features i would be carefull to update to newest code.
It needs to be looked first if something was build in.

#282 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

if you do an update in any way, you would overwrite custom code. With new enhanced insider connected features i would be carefull to update to newest code.

Okay, won’t upgrade till we hear from you that Scandel’s mod can be added. Please let us know as soon as you’re able. Thanks for your efforts too!

#283 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

No I don’t mean do an insider connected update, or update to current level stern code. But the current Scandell code is a bit newer than what I currently have installed.

Am I ok putting his current code on my machine and allowing that to do the updates to the nodes (like it does anytime code is updated)

#284 1 year ago

PM'd for the files - Hopefully this works with the new code update.

#285 1 year ago

Getting game validation error with new 1.52 Mod build when using Insider Connect. Unable to scan QR code to login, or setup home teams.

#286 1 year ago
Quoted from NovaCade:

No I don’t mean do an insider connected update, or update to current level stern code. But the current Scandell code is a bit newer than what I currently have installed.
Am I ok putting his current code on my machine and allowing that to do the updates to the nodes (like it does anytime code is updated)

with code 1.51 you will have no problems. The nodeboards will update and everything should be fine. With code 1.52 you will have trouble if you have insider connected. It seems they build in some verification for custom code and will not let you connect. But with disconnected Insider connected it should still work.

updating node boards is a normal process when upgrading code. even downgrading seems to be working. like when you would put in code with older version number of node board code, it would downgrade them.

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

with code 1.51 you will have no problems. The nodeboards will update and everything should be fine. With code 1.52 you will have trouble if you have insider connected. It seems they build in some verification for custom code and will not let you connect. But with disconnected Insider connected it should still work.
updating node boards is a normal process when upgrading code. even downgrading seems to be working. like when you would put in code with older version number of node board code, it would downgrade them.

We are in the process of testing the 1.52 code now. Yes stern mentioned a warning message may come of some kind regarding custom code. We are not yet sure how much of a deal breaker that is. I imagine it’s a passive ⚠️. That simply needs to be acknowledged.

#288 1 year ago

Mod looks Awesome! I am getting the game validation message sometimes with the new pro game code v1.52, and there is some screen tearing/graphics error when you first enter the bumpers for extra points after launching the ball. Everything still works - just a few things I noticed. Incredible work!

#289 1 year ago
Quoted from Cyb3rPunk:

Mod looks Awesome! I am getting the game validation message sometimes with the new pro game code v1.52, and there is some screen tearing/graphics error when you first enter the bumpers for extra points after launching the ball. Everything still works - just a few things I noticed. Incredible work!

would be interresting if the graphic error is normal code too or if it is something specific for this mod.
are you playing pro or prem/LE?
do you have insider connected?

#290 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

would be interresting if the graphic error is normal code too or if it is something specific for this mod.
are you playing pro or prem/LE?
do you have insider connected?

It's the pro version and the graphic error does not happen on stock game code v1.52. Also, no insider connect on this machine.

#291 1 year ago
Quoted from Cyb3rPunk:

It's the pro version and the graphic error does not happen on stock game code v1.52. Also, no insider connect on this machine.

I am also getting the validate message on my pro. I do not have Insider Connected installed either. I decided to go back to the 1.51 code for now. I always create a new SD card with code updates just in case I need to revert back.

#292 1 year ago
Quoted from Cwells3290:

I am also getting the validate message on my pro. I do not have Insider Connected installed either. I decided to go back to the 1.51 code for now. I always create a new SD card with code updates just in case I need to revert back.

thanks for the information, this indicates the tests are done offline and do not need internet connection

1 week later
#293 1 year ago

Looking forward to installing this animation mod. The April O'Neill animations included in the original programming is probably one of the biggest disappointments to me. The rest of the animations work, but April just looks like they dialed it in, instead of focusing on such an important character. These animations finally fix that. Now to figure out the installation process. I imagine it won't be that difficult though.

1 week later
#294 1 year ago

Awesome work! I get my premium later this week. I will PM when it gets here. Thanks Scandell!!

#295 1 year ago

Is the April mod for code version 1.52 now working?

#296 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

as i understand the newest working code is 1.51. With code 1.52 they introduced a code validation check that will print out error messages about modified code. like in this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/72#post-7059980

#297 1 year ago

Installed the 1.51 April code this morning and it's awesome! Thanks Scandell!!

#298 1 year ago

I absolutely love this mod. April went from one of the worst animated characters by Stern to the best of any game thanks to Scandell.

#299 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

I too am wondering. I have a premium coming from the final call in a few weeks. It will have factory installed insider connect. Would love to have this mod with home team.

Anyone had any luck with 1.52?

#300 1 year ago
Quoted from sicknick550:

I too am wondering. I have a premium coming from the final call in a few weeks. It will have factory installed insider connect. Would love to have this mod with home team.
Anyone had any luck with 1.52?

Get from Scandal 1.51. It won’t work as of yet on 1.52. 1.51 difference is, you have to manually scan your QR code each time instead of using Home Team feature only available on 1.52.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-april-o-neill-animation-mod-for-stern-s-tmnt-ninja-turtles-/page/6?hl=cabal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.