(Topic ID: 307155)

The April O'Neill Animation MOD for Stern's TMNT (Ninja Turtles)

By Scandell

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230131_195732 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230131_200325 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230131_201227 (resized).jpg
E307EE3B-E81E-48D8-8B3B-74330EFF7BC6 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
moz (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
3D4618FC-8035-4E98-A4B0-5235C5178A59 (resized).jpeg
31AB3CCE-6E0D-4DDC-8FCF-5FB235950434 (resized).jpeg
F754F8BE-0A00-49BD-A706-672520AEE242 (resized).png
E5E93440-DDEB-4F96-B802-3C8AB06ABDE6 (resized).jpeg
16414281524688798184128357590580 (resized).jpg
16413415220019101477923615978387 (resized).jpg
20220104_091622 (resized).jpg
16410678271491333591553446348254 (resized).jpg
VanSpotted_Final (0-00-01-01) (resized).jpg

There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

This narrative you have constructed from my posts on the Deeproot thread is a complete fantasy. Although I think I could have been better about communicating in that thread. I was standing from a different pov than most of those employees that had been under the shadow of that horrible company for many years. (I was there for 3 months)I was in a situation where I was financially independent fromRobert so I was able to be more bold and share information about the mishandlings of that company.
Not looking for a job. Don’t need to bounce back from anything. Completely financially successful and our studio is killing it.
We made this mod cause I love pinball and I love this game and thought it should be improved upon. Not much more to it than that.
We’d love to have Stern or American or Spooky as a client. Cause we love pinball. But it’s not essential to our business model.
But thanks for bringing the pinside little-information/high-opinion vibe into this thread.

In this thread: man insults the modding community and calls them criminals and thieves and blamed PINSIDE for the negative attitude, cute!

Quoted from Scandell:

Although it is a daily occurrence to see pinball community members produce custom physical toy/light and gadget mods and make profit on them...some of those mods are actually theft of intellectual property ownership. The recent Godzilla toy sculpt swipe/mod I saw is only a recent example of actual IP thieving. Pinside seems ok with this, the pinball community seems ok with this, some Manufactures seem ok with this. I am not sure what to think, and I don't want to engage in any legal trouble.

You conveniently ignored how, using your own words above, I pointed out your hypocritical work with an unauthorized licensed asset that you admitted was made “because I love pinball”
That’s been your excuse since the deeproot thread to absolve yourself of any criticisms, lol.
You rebuked RM’s derogatory remarks about Pinside:

Quoted from Scandell:

“A sewer” is one the many degrading terms I’ve heard Robert use regarding Pinsiders. And one of the more mild insults.

And then you go on immediately to copy him when you’re called out for your poor attitude.

I’ll let you wrap this one up! Good luck!

Quoted from Scandell:

Do not mistake unpopular facts for skepticism and cynicism.

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from BaxterStockman:

Is this what people are talking about when they say there is more drama than you realize in the pinball community?

Unfortunately, some people like to knock others down just to make their own work stand out, instead of simply letting their work speak for itself.

#153 2 years ago

You’re truly fighting with nobody here. When did I “insult the mod community”? Are you a member of that community or just a defender of justice of some sort? Who are you? Who did I “knock down”? So confused.

I think you misunderstood plain and simple.

My mentioning of the sensitivities regarding the legal nuisances of IP infringement was a self-reflection as much as it was a general-reflection of the nature of some kinds of mods. I was stating that I don’t quite know what to expect In releasing a mod of this nature. I haven’t heard of anybody ever getting into actual trouble with mods…and I don’t understand why that is…and this April mod is me going out on a limb that many others are already out on.
You obviously took it personally and I apologize for any offense.

#154 2 years ago

Personal attacks are off topic. I would suggest we focus on this mod. Everyone has made the points they need to make.

#155 2 years ago

Loving this. Curious of any plans for an update to address the delay? I get the occasional Ball Lock issue because of priority sequencing, but it's 100% of the time upon collecting the April Hurry-Up.

Thanks for all your work.

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

You’re truly fighting with nobody here. When did I “insult the mod community”? Are you a member of that community or just a defender of justice of some sort? Who are you? Who did I “knock down”? So confused.

That was interesting. Hope this other douche doesn’t prevent you from doing more, love your work and this is still one of my all time favorite mods ☺️

#157 2 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Loving this. Curious of any plans for an update to address the delay? I get the occasional Ball Lock issue because of priority sequencing, but it's 100% of the time upon collecting the April Hurry-Up.
Thanks for all your work.

I’ll look at the hurry up. Again, some audio clip were altered slightly recently by Stern. Which isn’t unusual.

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from Hipponotic:

That was interesting. Hope this other douche doesn’t prevent you from doing more, love your work and this is still one of my all time favorite mods ☺️

Thank you for the kind words. Typing my thoughts isn’t my forte and misunderstandings happen often on the web. If we were all together, I think we’d all get along well enough. It can be difficult to understand the intended context when reading comments and posts.

Our plan is to bring about a summer update and Christmas update.

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

I think you misunderstood plain and simple.
My mentioning of the sensitivities regarding the legal nuisances of IP infringement was a self-reflection as much as it was a general-reflection of the nature of some kinds of mods. I was stating that I don’t quite know what to expect In releasing a mod of this nature. I haven’t heard of anybody ever getting into actual trouble with mods…and I don’t understand why that is…and this April mod is me going out on a limb that many others are already out on.
You obviously took it personally and I apologize for any offense.

I accept your apology and agree, we are apparently not connecting our views for any meaningful discussion.
As for the “knocking down” and insulting the mod community, think of it this way: if the creator of the Godzilla swipe mod was tagged here and told their work is “IP thieving” in action, do you think they would be upset and hurt by that kind of talk about their delicately sculpted product?

My comments about April and licensing was pointing out that the same IP question exists whether the mods are physical or digital. Are you a lawyer responsible for the Intellectual Property rights that are being speculated? The only people who ever got in trouble were the guys making the Matrix pinball machine a decade ago. WB sent them a C&D so fast it would blow your mind! But that was also a high end job and they sold for thousands. Mods selling for a a couple hundred bucks will never justify the lawyer fees and are in such limited quantities they exist in a legal gray area.
Unless it’s Disney, it won’t really be an issue.

Quoted from BriannaWu:

Personal attacks are off topic. I would suggest we focus on this mod. Everyone has made the points they need to make.

Agreed. There was no reason for the other posts to call me names when this was a genuine, logical discussion!

tl;dr
Nearly all mods for pinball exist in a sketchy legal gray area, making speculation about illegal IP activity is really silly and can come across as derogatory.
If there is really a legal issue, the manufacturer will let us know.

Again, this mod is excellent and @scandell’s work is top notch. Congrats on the successful studio, that’s really great. Even if you don’t need it, it would be cool if Stern contracted your studio to do this work. Thanks for giving April more representation. She’s a key character in TMNT and was a missed opportunity on this pin.

P.S. my gift to you is free bumps!

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Thank you for the kind words. Typing my thoughts isn’t my forte and misunderstandings happen often on the web. If we were all together, I think we’d all get along well enough. It can be difficult to understand the intended context when reading comments and posts.
Our plan is to bring about a summer update and Christmas update.

Glad to hear you’re not feeling defeated by a negative voice here, that is irrelevant to what you’re doing. Please keep up the work on the summer and Christmas updates. Really hate PayPal, but will donate again through those fee thieving usury artists, if that’s your only route. Lol

It can’t be overstated that your April upgrade has made a huge difference in the feel of TMNT. Only hope you do more mods/fixes for other machines as well as TMNT. Rotten deal that you know who, threw off the words/timing of April’s animations. Wonder if you should not show new update material here again, so you know who will not try to throw a monkey wrench in your new work. Just keep it to all those that do the update. Then it will be too late for them to attempt to sabotage future efforts.

Very few mods are deemed worthy of the effort, but mods like you’re doing are in the value-added category.

#161 2 years ago

I would just ignore and accept that we owner all appreciate the hard work you put into this mod!
Thanks

#162 2 years ago

Great mod, just got it up and running with insider connected. Love to see more when you get the chance. Software can really make a game. Now if I could only play better

3D4618FC-8035-4E98-A4B0-5235C5178A59 (resized).jpeg3D4618FC-8035-4E98-A4B0-5235C5178A59 (resized).jpeg
#163 2 years ago

Wicked Mod Scandell! Loving April now … she was just ok before … I’ve been married a while! . TMNT is my first pin and I got a Godzilla on order. Love the mods … digital or hard. Keep up the great work …. I’ll be sending a donation and keep me on the list for any future updates! You rock!

#164 2 years ago

Can't wait to try this mod out. The April digital art bugged me the most when i was contemplating buying this game. I've since gotten used to it but turning a weak point into a feature is pretty awesome. Keep it up Sandell.

#165 2 years ago

Now the worst art in the game will be Baxter Stockman.

#166 2 years ago

Awesome work Scandell, you have more than exceeded April.
Many thanks

#167 2 years ago

Just loaded up the pro version. Looks awesome and really helps to complete the visuals of the game. Keep up the great work!

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from Reul1:

Great mod, just got it up and running with insider connected. Love to see more when you get the chance. Software can really make a game. Now if I could only play better
[quoted image]

Are you having any issues with insider connected and this mod?

#169 2 years ago

No problems that I can notice with insider connected. Logged in at 116 games so far.

#170 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Glad to hear it. Adjust your flipper coil strengths and this came is amazing.

What flipper adjustments have you made?

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

What flipper adjustments have you made?

I commented with my settings in the owners thread. Search for a post by “Scandell”

#172 2 years ago

I spent a few hours failing to write this to USB. I tried Win32DiskImager and Belena Etcher. It takes an appropriate time to write and says successful, then it's just a couple small files and 5 new partitions on the USB that want to format. The USB was formatted to FAT32 before starting.

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from freebeer:I spent a few hours failing to write this to USB. I tried Win32DiskImager and Belena Etcher. It takes an appropriate time to write and says successful, then it's just a couple small files and 5 new partitions on the USB that want to format. The USB was formatted to FAT32 before starting.

I did the same mistake. You can't install this via USB. You have to create a new SDCARD and replace the one in the game.

#174 2 years ago

My burn went smoothly using win32diskimager.
Review:
I was slightly skeptical of this mod since I'm not a fan of cutsie cartoons (I'm way more of a fan of the og comic and rpg over the series. Although I did love the Konami arcade.) ...anyways, I was wrong, this is an amazing mod. First off how many mods actually look more professional than the original. Second, Scannell's treatment seriously enhances the character to the voice actor's work. He's somehow changed my feeling about the April call outs from slightly annoyed by them to now finding them very endearing. To nitpick, the lip sync issues bothers me on the hurry up. (I'm guessing this is why stern didn't have much lip syncing either). But when the lip sync works, it's so good. ...like I watch for it.
Fantastic job Scannell. To quote someone from the tmnt club thread: Stern, hire this man!
I'm not a big coffee drinker so I'll be sending you a couple beers in the 'mail' instead. Thanks again Scannell!

#175 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Sometimes. I'll admit it wasn't a very good joke but it went waaaay over your head

Bunch of nerds!I thought it was hilarious.

#176 2 years ago

Just received an Insider Connected kit in the mail today, first thing is to install this new mod! Looks awesome.

#177 2 years ago

Great mod Scandell! Easy install...used Balena...Lovin' April! Thanks for the beautiful work.

#178 2 years ago

Amazing work. Professional level quality and Stern should feel shamed for what they deemed "good enough" to release.

#179 2 years ago

Finally got the Insider Connected kit installed on my premium along with loading version 1.5 code of the animation mod. WOW! Between the new April animations, new code update, and leveling of turtles it almost feel like a new game. The new April animations are the best character animations I've ever seen in pinball. Super impressive, especially when you consider that the animations created fit the voice so well. Looking forward to future updates for this mod.

#180 2 years ago

I looks great! can you send me a link for LE, please?

Thank you very much!

#181 2 years ago

I don't have a TMNT but have to say this work is great. Mods can make good games great and great games amazing.

#182 2 years ago

I've been playing with Scandells mod for a few days now. Man, I just love this. Scandell thanks for fixing something that was really annoying, just a spectacular job and I imagine a ton of work. I won't be able to go back to the old April. Ever.

#183 2 years ago

No reply.... Who can give me a download link, thanks.....

#184 2 years ago

I just picked up my TMNT Prem this past weekend! This mod was at the top of my list. PM sent!

Looking forward to the opportunity to put this in my game. Thanks to Scandell and the team for putting this together!

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from LOSTlVince:

No reply.... Who can give me a download link, thanks.....

You need to be a tad patient mate. Pmd

#186 2 years ago

The install was painless and gojam, does this ever make a difference. Thanks @Scandell! What a beaut!

#187 2 years ago

Holy cow(abunga)! Had a painless install of this and am just blown away... I would highly recommend reaching out to Scandell and trying this out. Well done to the team! Even my wife commented on how much of a difference it makes, and she never notices stuff like this.

#188 2 years ago

This is one of the best programming mods ever created for a pinball machine. Awesome stuff.

Scandell are there any plans for future releases to update animations that have the voice a bit off due to the latest code? Truly amazing stuff you did, Stern or any pinball manufacture should hire you.

#189 2 years ago

Thanks a million for the files!
I don't know if my operation is correct.
1. Download the file Simpsons_ Party_ Pinball_ Scandell. Zip and turbines_ le-1_ 50_ 1.Scandell. 8G. sdcard. Zip and unzip these 2 files.
2. Insert a new SD card(32GB) into the computer and use diskimager to writeturbines_ le-1_ 50_ 1.Scandell. 8G. sdcard.raw to SD card.
3. Insert this SD card in the game instead of the stern SD card.
4. Start the game and wait the installing finish.

I have 2 issue.
1. What`s the use of the file Simpsons_ Party_ Pinball_ Scandell. Zip?
2. I can start the game with this mod.But something wrong in ball lock.It can identify ball 1 lock and April come out keep a ball, but can not identify ball 2 lock. Every time ball 2 lock is triggered, the machine will not react. Is it my operation error or missing some files?

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from LOSTlVince:

Thanks a million for the files!
I don't know if my operation is correct.
1. Download the file Simpsons_ Party_ Pinball_ Scandell. Zip and turbines_ le-1_ 50_ 1.Scandell. 8G. sdcard. Zip and unzip these 2 files.
2. Insert a new SD card(32GB) into the computer and use diskimager to writeturbines_ le-1_ 50_ 1.Scandell. 8G. sdcard.raw to SD card.
3. Insert this SD card in the game instead of the stern SD card.
4. Start the game and wait the installing finish.
I have 2 issue.
1. What`s the use of the file Simpsons_ Party_ Pinball_ Scandell. Zip?
2. I can start the game with this mod.But something wrong in ball lock.It can identify ball 1 lock and April come out keep a ball, but can not identify ball 2 lock. Every time ball 2 lock is triggered, the machine will not react. Is it my operation error or missing some files?

The Simpsons file is a mod for The Simpsons Pinball Party, you can ignore it.
As for #2, do you have a Pro or Prem/LE turtles? If Pro, you need to download the Pro mod file. If Prem/LE, then you have done everything correctly. Maybe rewrite the data to the SD card and try again?

1 month later
#191 1 year ago

Fantastic code update just came out fixing all of the bugs that we had all submitted. Really hope Scandell can come through again by applying his awesome scenes to this great polishing code update!

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Fantastic code update just came out fixing all of the bugs that we had all submitted. Really hope Scandell can come through again by applying his awesome scenes to this great polishing code update!

Paging the legendary Scandell in case he wasn’t yet aware of the 1.51 TMNT update. Absolutely love your mod, man.

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from acons017:

Paging the legendary Scandell in case he wasn’t yet aware of the 1.51 TMNT update. Absolutely love your mod, man.

100% I'm going to wait until Scandell's version before I update.

#194 1 year ago

I don't want to speak for Scandell, but I thought he had mentioned a possible update this summer. This new April animation is too good to give up.

#195 1 year ago

Code has been uploaded and updated to 5.1! Special thanks to Cabal!

#196 1 year ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Do we need to do a complete re-install or can we download your code and run an update?

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from BaxterStockman:

Do we need to do a complete re-install or can we download your code and run an update?

This are sd-images for a complete re-install. you can use this code to write a new sd-card or overwrite the exiting one. In this process every Highscore and settings will be overwriten.
It will be like a new machine from the factory.
I would do the update on a new sd-card.

If you want to keep your highscore and settings you can save them on usb before you start the upgrade. Then after the uprade just load them again.

I don't think at the moment there is a method to do just an update.
Also be aware that insider connect can interfere with custom code. Best is to not activate insider connect with custom code.
The most harmless that can happen is that the custom code will be overwritten with stock code. Like the new April will vanish and April from stock code will apear.
What other consequences could happen with activate insider connected i am not aware.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Thank you

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

This are sd-images for a complete re-install. you can use this code to write a new sd-card or overwrite the exiting one. In this process every Highscore and settings will be overwriten.
It will be like a new machine from the factory.
I would do the update on a new sd-card.
If you want to keep your highscore and settings you can save them on usb before you start the upgrade. Then after the uprade just load them again.
I don't think at the moment there is a method to do just an update.
Also be aware that insider connect can interfere with custom code. Best is to not activate insider connect with custom code.
The most harmless that can happen is that the custom code will be overwritten with stock code. Like the new April will vanish and April from stock code will apear.
What other consequences could happen with activate insider connected i am not aware.

I have IC. On 1.5 i used this April mod + part of Delt’s mod. Worked perfectly. Like an idiot I did a wireless update to 1.51 and it overrode all the mods with stock but kept the settings/scores.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from Scandell:

You’re the man.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 75.00
Lighting - Backbox
arcade-cabinets.com
Backbox
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 16.00
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toughkenamon, PA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tualatin, OR
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 49.99
10,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-eustache, QC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
System-J
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-april-o-neill-animation-mod-for-stern-s-tmnt-ninja-turtles-/page/4?hl=scandell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.