(Topic ID: 307155)

The April O'Neill Animation MOD for Stern's TMNT (Ninja Turtles)

By Scandell

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230131_195732 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230131_200325 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230131_201227 (resized).jpg
E307EE3B-E81E-48D8-8B3B-74330EFF7BC6 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
moz (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
3D4618FC-8035-4E98-A4B0-5235C5178A59 (resized).jpeg
31AB3CCE-6E0D-4DDC-8FCF-5FB235950434 (resized).jpeg
F754F8BE-0A00-49BD-A706-672520AEE242 (resized).png
E5E93440-DDEB-4F96-B802-3C8AB06ABDE6 (resized).jpeg
16414281524688798184128357590580 (resized).jpg
16413415220019101477923615978387 (resized).jpg
20220104_091622 (resized).jpg
16410678271491333591553446348254 (resized).jpg
VanSpotted_Final (0-00-01-01) (resized).jpg

There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

stick in usb stick -> utility ->save
when the new card is installed.
utility -> load

Thank you!
Does it have to be a blank USB or does that matter?

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from BaxterStockman:

Thank you!
Does it have to be a blank USB or does that matter?

i always use a blank one, but it only saves a file on it, so i guess it can have files on it.
i have a 3 feet usb cable going to the front that i can save/load the settings from the coin door.

#53 2 years ago

Tested out the code. What an amazing update. You killed it, @scandell. There are a few lip sync issues as you mentioned but aside from that I’m really blown away. Stern should approach you with a job offer. Every game they launched could use this Pixar facelift.

PS. Ball 2 locked animation is hilarious

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from acons017:

. Every game they launched could use this Pixar facelift.

Not that I’m defending Stern, cuz their TMNT animation is a bit hokey, but they were going for a cel-shaded ink-line look to look like the original show. I don’t think they pulled it off, but clearly that was the intent. They weren’t going for Pixar, they were going for 1980’s painted-on-cel. This new April looks a billion times better - but it doesn’t match the rest of the game’s animation now. Scandell, I’m curious why you went for the “plastic toy” render vs. a cel-shaded look.

#55 2 years ago

This is such an improvement to the original animations! Great work! : )

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:This is such an improvement to the original animations! Great work! : )

Thank you.

#57 2 years ago

Just installed it. Incredible work! I wish all the anims had this loving a touch. :p

#58 2 years ago

Will this work with the TMNT 87 Video Mod?

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Will this work with the TMNT 87 Video Mod?

Have you ever tried to turn watch two films on the same TV at the same time?

#60 2 years ago

Amazing work. Besides being a big improvement on April, some of the re-worked scenes have so much more character and life to them. Really impressed.

#61 2 years ago

Very enthused about this, as it appears from the demoed video: the game looks cleaner and so much more professional. This is one of the best mods in the modding community. Very excited to see even more cleaned up and professional renditions for TMNT.

#62 2 years ago

Having some installation problems:
Downloaded the zipped installation file
Unpacked the zip-file
Formatted a 16 GB USB-stick in FAT32 (drive E: )
Used Wind32 Disk Imager to flash the USB-stick (drive E: ) with the .raw-file
Flashing worked OK but a lot of new drives (F, G, H, I) started to pop up and Windows-message "You need to format this drive to use it"
Put USB-stick in the usual backbox USB-plug and booted up the game
Nothing happens (game just boots up as usual)

It seems fishy that the USB-stick gets several drive identities. What am I doing wrong?

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

Unpacked the zip-file
Flashing worked OK but a lot of new drives (F, G, H, I) started to pop up and Windows-message "You need to format this drive to use it"
It seems fishy that the USB-stick gets several drive identities. What am I doing wrong?

This is not a usb update. It’s a SD card update .

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

Unpacked the zip-file

you do not flash a usb stick and stick in the machine, you have to write the image directly to a spare SD-Card. After sucessful writing you have to replace the SD-Card in the machine with your newly created one. You need a usb stick if you want to save your data -> utility -> Save and then later again utility -> Load to get them back.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

you do not flash a usb stick and stick in the machine, you have to write the image directly to a spare SD-Card. After sucessful writing you have to replace the SD-Card in the machine with your newly created one. You need a usb stick if you want to save your data -> utility -> Save and then later again utility -> Load to get them back.

Thanks - I was apparently a bit confused

#66 2 years ago

Looking forward to trying this out.... as soon as my wife is done quarantining in the basement from COVID (she's doing fine; I expect her to become a pinball wizard after this)

#67 2 years ago

Awesome looking MOD great job!

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

In collaboration with pinsider, cabal I am happy to announce the first-of-its-kind CUSTOM ANIMATION MOD for a modern Pinball Machine!

[quoted image][quoted image]

Dude! Absolutely killed it man! Super easy install! Love the lock animation! Everything works perfectly! Thank you!!! Can't wait for more updates man!

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not that I’m defending Stern, cuz their TMNT animation is a bit hokey, but they were going for a cel-shaded ink-line look to look like the original show. I don’t think they pulled it off, but clearly that was the intent. They weren’t going for Pixar, they were going for 1980’s painted-on-cel. This new April looks a billion times better - but it doesn’t match the rest of the game’s animation now. Scandell, I’m curious why you went for the “plastic toy” render vs. a cel-shaded look.

They did a great job...except April...the animated version they created was horrible...worst part of all the animation.

#70 2 years ago

Scandell great mod, feels refreshed. I did get a crash when the game stacked April hurry up and turtle multiball with the ramp shot not sure how it happens, but the game crashed and rebooted back up. Maybe look into it.

#71 2 years ago

Just installed the April code mod and what a nice upgrade!

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Scandell great mod, feels refreshed. I did get a crash when the game stacked April hurry up and turtle multiball with the ramp shot not sure how it happens, but the game crashed and rebooted back up. Maybe look into it.

there is a bug in the vanilla game too regarding the turtle power multiball. I have seen sometimes that reboot bug with custom images. Can you monitor if it reoccurs? I had the impression it will go away once it has happened.
Can you please give some details how you created the sd-Card? w32imager, pinball Browser, balena etcher?
pro/le image?
card size

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

there is a bug in the vanilla game too regarding the turtle power multiball. I have seen sometimes that reboot bug with custom images. Can you monitor if it reoccurs? I had the impression it will go away once it has happened.
Can you please give some details how you created the sd-Card? w32imager, pinball Browser, balena etcher?
pro/le image?
card size

Balena etcher and it’s a pro model
For some reason I couldn’t do it with the w32imager

#74 2 years ago

Thank you for the kind words everyone! We’ve reached 100 downloads!

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Balena etcher and it’s a pro model
For some reason I couldn’t do it with the w32imager

thanks for the information. I personally had no bad experience with balena etcher, but others had. I would monitor if it reoccurs. If it does i would rewrite the sd-image. Maybe with the build in function in Pinball Browser -> Smartdmd -> Browse to file -> write to SD
in this process it will ask for a restart and administrative rights.

#76 2 years ago

Thanks, Scandell! Paypal donation sent.

20220104_091622 (resized).jpg20220104_091622 (resized).jpg
#77 2 years ago

Got my insider connected kit. For anyone with a kit and wanting to know if this code will work, I'll try and give it a test run tonight (fingers crossed)

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from JPloof:

Got my insider connected kit. For anyone with a kit and wanting to know if this code will work, I'll try and give it a test run tonight (fingers crossed)

Thank you! godspeed

#79 2 years ago

Thank you very much for the great mod.

#80 2 years ago

Ugh. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. Write successfull but doesn't work!

Do you need to change the file name or something?

16413415220019101477923615978387 (resized).jpg16413415220019101477923615978387 (resized).jpg
#81 2 years ago

Tried 2 different cards and no luck. Formated the new one as Fat32 but after writing it says it is just FAT? Can't reformat as Fat32 again either.

#82 2 years ago

Is there a code to get her naked?

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from JPloof:

I'm connected to IC and this mod works just fine. At least no issues so far.

#84 2 years ago

Oh my God. This is so much better! Will definitely install on my Premium.

#85 2 years ago

Looks great!

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

I'm connected to IC and this mod works just fine. At least no issues so far.

Yes, got my insider connected setup tonight and no issues with this mod either. So happy!

#87 2 years ago

* for now. Who knows what Stern may do in the future.

But I'm glad it's working for the time being.

I'm guessing you have to turn off automatic updates. (if that's even a setting)

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Ugh. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. Write successfull but doesn't work!
Do you need to change the file name or something?
[quoted image]

after writing being fat is ok. There should also a bunch more drives that you can not access.
3 if i remember right. You just don't touch them.

what happens when you plug in this sd card in the pinball machine?
maybe for a test try balena etcher to write the sd-card.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from shlt_thunder:Is there a code to get her naked?

This ain’t Tomb Raider on the PSone man.

#90 2 years ago

Unfortunately, I cannot send a PM before 48 hours. grrr

Someone to sponsor me please? (METHOD 1: VERIFY THROUGH A PINSIDE REFERENCE)

#91 2 years ago

deleted

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

after writing being fat is ok. There should also a bunch more drives that you can not access.
3 if i remember right. You just don't touch them.
what happens when you plug in this sd card in the pinball machine?
maybe for a test try balena etcher to write the sd-card.

Tried balena and win32 no luck. I think my drive is crapped out. Even when it says write successfull the card is still empty.

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Tried balena and win32 no luck. I think my drive is crapped out. Even when it says write successfull the card is still empty.

yes thats ok that you do not see anything on the drive. Did you plug it in the pinball machine?

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

sorry i do not have a picture or my enviroment in front of me.
but after writing the sd-card you should see 4 drives apearing. von i think is fat and 8mb big and is called stern-boot.
and 3 more drives that you can not access and will ask if they should be formated what you should not do.
if this is the case everything is ok and you can plug the SD-Card into your machine.

in some hours i can provide pictures how it should look like.

#95 2 years ago

I saw that on the old SD card I used for a custom Star Wars code. Was trying to re use it but kept getting access denied errors so bought a new one. That one says it wrote successfully but didn't split into multiple drives. I think it's just my PC at this point.

Tried putting both in the machine and nothing.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

I saw that on the old SD card I used for a custom Star Wars code. Was trying to re use it but kept getting access denied errors so bought a new one. That one says it wrote successfully but didn't split into multiple drives. I think it's just my PC at this point.
Tried putting both in the machine and nothing.

thanks for the feedback, yes sounds strange.
the multiple drives do not always pop up. It depends if they got a drive letter assigned.
Do you use a build in card reader? i had good experience with usb-sd-card adapters/sticks.
like you sometimes geht them in raspberries

#97 2 years ago

Yeah, it's built in and my PC is ancient so that's why I assume it just went bad.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

This ain’t Tomb Raider on the PSone man.

Glad someone else got the joke.

#99 2 years ago

Nice work. The giant leap from monochrome DMD to LCD hasn't been easy for Stern, and it's clear they need a dedicated animation team. Time to loosen up those purse strings and invest in some real talent.

#100 2 years ago

Really nice work. Receive the link, trying this quickly and make a comment .. but incredible job. Thank youuu !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Midland, MI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-april-o-neill-animation-mod-for-stern-s-tmnt-ninja-turtles-/page/2?hl=briannawu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.