(Topic ID: 245716)

The Apiary - any pinball hobbyist who keep bees?

By Jaeg

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by Jaeg
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240331-205136_Chrome (resized).jpg
IMG_0523 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0522 (resized).jpeg
20240117_143926 (resized).jpg
20240117_144633 (resized).jpg
20230817_140840 (resized).jpg
20230605_163741 (resized).jpg
20230501_171530 (resized).jpg
IMG_4441 (resized).jpg
IMG_4428 (resized).jpg
20220819_155235 (resized).jpg
20220724_134510 (resized).jpg
20220723_174204 (resized).jpg
20220723_174209 (resized).jpg
20220723_174223 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider amkoepfer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 2 years ago

Following as i want to get into this next year

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

Harvest weekend
[quoted image]

So how was the harvest?

#73 2 years ago

Looks like a good haul! I broke down and bought a hive today from a somewhat local beekeeping supply store. Just have to assemble it for next year. Ill probably buy 1 more for next year and start off with 2

20210825_132021 (resized).jpg20210825_132021 (resized).jpg
#75 2 years ago

Got my boxes put together amd torched them

20210828_140017 (resized).jpg20210828_140017 (resized).jpg
#77 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

That's a nice looking finish. Did you apply a sealant after you torched them?

Not yet, but i am going to spray a eurothane on it to help it keep in the weather

8 months later
#79 1 year ago

Got my nucs of bees last week for my 2 hives. Checked on them amd they are looking good, i should be able to add frames in the 2nd brood boxes in a week or so. So far im enjoying working with the bees and kind of want to get more hives for next year!

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Try adding a 4 over 4 split nuc to your yard next year. They are very handy as resource colonies.

Thanks, ill look into that!

4 weeks later
#83 1 year ago

I just checked on my hives yesterday. 1 of them is still only doing comb in the original 5 frames and not really expanding. I never did find a queen in that one, but id assume she has to be in there since theres still bees. The other one is looking a bit better, a lot more bees, starting to draw comb in the second brood, but they have just been putting a bunch on the top board enterance thing. Cant remember what thats called. Hopimg they both do well, but i dont think ill get any honey for me this year!

#85 1 year ago

That may help. The other hive i found the queen right away

2 weeks later
#91 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Box built off of eBay. Spent a few ours today melting a pound of local bee wax and coated everything.
Building nice condo for them.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good. One of the hives i bought was off of a sketchy website vervor.com . I didnt actually think id get it but i did. Only issue is its not built the best and the frames werent waxed, but it was cheap!

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Got mine off ebay. $110, I made an offer. Came in 5 days. Loved the cedar pine scent of the wood. All raw wood. I glued the dove tail corners and used the pre drilled nail holes.
The pound of bees wax went fast. Just enough to do frames and heavy coat inside box.

Nice! That website was vevor, not vervor. They also have honey processing equipment

1 month later
#103 1 year ago

Nice! How many hives is that off of? 6? I was curious since i will harvest soon, you pull the whole super and not just the frames? How do you get the bees out of there to harvest?

I still dont know how much i will get this year off 2 hives, im thinking not much if any. (First year) the nucs spread decent on the brood boxes, but never really went up to the supers. Hopefully next year i get a good amount

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

I have 6 hives. I use a product called 'Bee-Go' on an old t shirt to get the bees down and off the supers.
You will want to pull the boxes when it's time. The bees wouldn't like all the open space and it would be hard for them to keep warm in the winter.
Now it's time for me to treat for mites and supplemental feed to get them ready for the weather change.

Cool, thanks for the info!

1 week later
#106 1 year ago

Harvest day. Just checked my hives. Not a drop this year! They spread out really nice in the brood boxes, just didnt move up to the supers. Oh well. Next year!

#108 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

That's too bad. Hopefully you get them through winter and next year is more productive. PM me if you need a bottle in the mean time. I'll send you some.

I appreciate that.

1 month later
#109 1 year ago

Since i got no honey this year i doubled down on 2 more hives for next year!

1 month later
#111 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

I just watched the Wednesday series on Netflix which has a beekeeper who is supporting character. It's now on my must have title if it ever becomes a pinball license.

Of course you need it if it ever becomes a thing. Its hive code!

4 months later
#116 11 months ago

Just caught a swarm (one of mine i think). Have it in a brood box with some frames. Pretty sure i got the queen but wont be sure for awhile. Now i need another hive!!!

#118 11 months ago

Pretty sure i didnt get the queen. Half the bees are dead, rest are barely moving

#120 11 months ago

Great idea. I will try that

#122 11 months ago

I wish!!!

#123 11 months ago

Well i checked the swarm today. They were on the frames, i saw comb making, and pulling dead bees out, so it looks like i have another hive!

#124 11 months ago

Nucs delivered today. Up to 5 hives. Caugjt a swarm from my other hive, and gave it to my neighbor due to not having funds for yet another hive!

#126 11 months ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

You do splits in the early spring?

I didnt split it on purpose, they swarmed. I assume they are mine because they were both within 20 feet of the hives and i am the only one close that keeps bees.

1 week later
#127 11 months ago

Ok, so my same hive that split, has split at least 6 more times. I am at a loss as to why. There is 2 brood boxes on it, not even all the way filled up, and there seems to srill be a healthy population, but they are swarming almost daily. Did the first swarm make too many queens? On a good note i have captured 2 swarms for me, 2 for my neighbor, and at least my 2 swarms seem to be doing well drawing out comb. I need to join a beekeeping group to learn more about this i guess!

#129 11 months ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

During your inspections are you seeing multiple swarm cells?

Yes, but not this many. I didnt see any in the other established hive either

2 months later
#131 8 months ago

Well i went from not being able to get the bees to draw comb in the super to now im wondering if i have enough bottles and jars for fall! 6 hives, 2 of them swarms from this year that started from scratch, all on 2 brood boxes that look great. I now have 8 supers drawn and filling. 6 ready for harvest, 2 more will be ready for another super next week i think! I cant wait to harvest, but i have to wait a few weeks due to work. I cannot believe how fast they drew comb and filled/capped!

2 weeks later
#132 8 months ago

Anyone harvest yet?

#135 8 months ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

I did this weekend. It was a hot one. Lower yield than last year. We got a very slow start with a major drought early in the year.
[quoted image]

Still lookin good. I need to get some foundationless frames for cut comb

#137 8 months ago

Just pulled my supers. Shouldnt have counted my chickens! Got 13 frames of capped honey. But most other supers have built comb so thats a plus

#138 8 months ago

I used bee go or bee quick, not sure which. I didnt have a fume board so i used the unlit smoker method. Did not work at all!!! Ended up pulling frame by frame and brushing off the bees. Fume boards for next year!

#141 8 months ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

I stapled a towel on an extra inside cover and it worked as a fume board. I've tried several methods and this one has worked best for me. The worst method was a leaf blower my first year.

Doesnt it need metal to react? Or is that jist the stuff i used? The towel method seems like it would work pretty well!

#143 8 months ago

I will try that next harvest

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider amkoepfer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-apiary-any-pinball-hobbiest-who-keep-bees?tu=amkoepfer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.