New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 127886)

The Amazing Spider-Man Club

By shimoda

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by srcdube
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200925_121748 (resized).jpg
75941E4C-7D5E-4B9A-A052-042B0A8A3459 (resized).jpeg
20180325_085007 (resized).jpg
IMG_E4558 (resized).JPG
rubberpostcap (resized).JPG
detail (resized).JPG
playfield screws (resized).JPG
image.jpg
WP_20150518_19_04_23_Pro.jpg
WP_20150518_19_04_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20150518_19_04_39_Pro.jpg
image-547.jpg
image-309.jpg
image-15.jpg
image-28.jpg
image.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Didn't see a club for this unique Gottlieb Widebody - spinner, drops, four flippers, kickout saucers, turnaround, plenty to shoot for and killer artwork.

2015-05-17 12.10.35.jpg2015-05-17 12.10.52.jpg2015-05-17 12.11.33.jpg2015-05-17 12.11.48.jpg2015-05-17 12.12.35.jpg2015-05-17 12.12.45.jpg2015-05-17 12.12.55.jpg2015-05-17 11.59.02.jpg2015-05-17 13.25.27.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Owned one for a period of time. Liked it alot most notably:
the blue displays
the vibrant classic comic book colors
pops and drops
spinner and kick-outs
A and B rollovers
Thought it was alot of fun once you learned the machine and the shots.
However, it was more from my time and my 17yr old and his buddies didn't care for it. So we sent her on her way. Picked up by another Pinsider who still has it. If I had more room I would have kept it despite my sons misgivings.

#3 5 years ago

That's a very nice playfield you have there, a lot of them are worn at the bonus count inserts. I'll try to put together some shots of mine, it's never been routed.

Steve

#4 5 years ago

I've always wanted to own a spidey and a hulk. I LOVE the artwork as it's true to the earlier comics.

I just can't get past the slow boring gameplay. And I have room for only a few pins.

#5 5 years ago

I have owned mine for a year now, and I play every day. it is next to 3 games that I pass on all the time. metallica premium, tftc, and lotr.
not only is the art so good, but the play is set up amazing. sure it likes to drain on the right, but only if you make one shot. who ever designed it really got everything in place, perfect. I found a NOS pf for mine, and my cab is perfect. My backglass is faded in red, so I am trying to find a repro from shay but cant get a reply. This game restored proper is the perfect game. It already plays fast as hell with out the clear!!!
has anyone put led's under the pf? I haven't tried but I have problems with many gottliebs. I would definatly like to get the inserts brighter. I also have new plastics!! not bragging, jut that I really love the game. hell I have 26 games and this is my number 1. I have a lot of pf parts for this era of game if anyone needs anything.
cheers, kruzman

#6 5 years ago

I made the mistake of selling my hulk, so if the person who bought it, or anyone else would like to sell me one, please let me know. cheers,

#7 5 years ago

I would love to join this club. Been looking for a while. If there's anyone in the New England region who is in the Amazing Spider-Man club, and no longer wants to be in the club, let me know and I'll be happy to take your spot

#8 5 years ago

kruzman, I've got that one broken plastic and would love to find a replacement. I've also got an issue where the five-bank drops on the right just won't reset, they try but don't seem to pulse long enough or have enough power. Haven't looked into it yet and this is my first Sys 80 so I'll try to get it fixed right away. I also disagree the play is slow. It can be surprisingly fast and I haven't even raised the back yet.

I had a really really nice Hulk I never should have sold and the guy I sold it to already asked about this to put next to it. I really liked Hulk, slower but brutally fast games. I don't have the room but I do wish I could have this and Hulk together.

This wasn't what I went looking for this weekend and hadn't ever played one but thought the layout and art was great and when I saw it I had to ask. Went looking for Paragon or Shadow, (older or newer) left with older!

#9 5 years ago

Hulk was my first pinball machine (not counting baby pac), and Spidey was restored by my 18 year old brother as his senior project in high school.

IMG_20150409_200303_534.jpg
#10 5 years ago

Kruzman, I am the guy that bought your Hulk (through John). Just wanted to let you know I am taking good care of it and if I decide to let it go I will get ahold of you.

image.jpg
#11 5 years ago

I've got several of the plastics and will check my stash tonight for the one above the 5 targets. I had a spare at one point but sold a few plastics to other Pinsiders.

Spidey was my first machine and I stocked up on everything I found and swapped parts as better looking ones came in. I'm hoping to get my spare playfield apron signed by Stan Lee at some point.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from gradient9:

I've got several of the plastics and will check my stash tonight for the one above the 5 targets. I had a spare at one point but sold a few plastics to other Pinsiders.
Spidey was my first machine and I stocked up on everything I found and swapped parts as better looking ones came in. I'm hoping to get my spare playfield apron signed by Stan Lee at some point.

Thanks, I would love to get that one replaced. Looks like Bay Area has a protector set for this game so I might just have to order that.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I've always wanted to own a spidey and a hulk. I LOVE the artwork as it's true to the earlier comics.
I just can't get past the slow boring gameplay. And I have room for only a few pins.

Spidey & Hulk were my 1st 2 pins. I still have them. Amazing artwork but they don't get much play (slow to me now too) but I can't bring myself to let them go. I have both of them autographed by Stan Lee too..

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Spidey & Hulk were my 1st 2 pins. I still have them. Amazing artwork but they don't get much play (slow to me now too) but I can't bring myself to let them go. I have both of them autographed by Stan Lee too..

Can you post pics of where you got yours autographed?

#15 5 years ago

I would like to find an Amazing Spider-man and put it next to Hulk one day. I keep hoping that Stan Lee comes to a comic con near me so I can get my apron signed as well. Last time I checked they don't accept mail in's for autographs or I would have done that. Awesome looking machine btw.

Matt

#16 5 years ago

I didn't know that BAA stocked a protector set for the Gottlieb version of Spiderman, are you sure? If so, I'm going to have to place an order with Rick too.

Steve

Quoted from shimoda:

Looks like Bay Area has a protector set for this game so I might just have to order that.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I didn't know that BAA stocked a protector set for the Gottlieb version of spiderman, are you sure? If so, I'm going to have to place an order with Rick too.
Steve

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-SM14

#18 5 years ago

How do those work? Are they just thin overlays?

#19 5 years ago

I bought this game a couple of months ago in non-working condition. I also bought an original manual for it and a new set of rubbers. I have not had time to work on it yet, but hopefully the problem won't be too difficult to diagnose. It should clean up nicely for me as there is nothing missing and no major defects in the playfield.

#20 5 years ago

There's one that was just listed on the Coinopwarehouse FB page for $825 as is.
https://www.facebook.com/coinopwarehouse

19601_10153344647747375_6341203590494187401_n.jpg
#21 5 years ago

Thanks, for the link, looks like Rick has expanded his merchandise into Gottlieb items too. I'll wait until he gets finished moving to his new location and gets settled in before contacting him.

Steve

#22 5 years ago

I really enjoy my ASM. Man your playfield looks gorgeous. Mine is not near as nice. But it plays good. The only problem that I have that is reoccurring is the right pop bumper blows the 2 amp fuse every couple of weeks.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from gradient9:

Can you post pics of where you got yours autographed?

stan lee SM.jpg
Stan lee hulk.jpg

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from gradient9:

There's one that was just listed on the Coinopwarehouse FB page for $825 as is.
https://www.facebook.com/coinopwarehouse

19601_10153344647747375_6341203590494187401_n.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Sold already.. That's a lot for a big unknown. I bought my original one 10 years ago for for $700, sold it for $900 to buy a nicer one (one I have now) for $1100. I probably overpaid but the playfield was better than the one I had.. IMHO $825 for a warehouse one with a layer of dust, no playfield pictures in as-is condition is a reach...

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Mwardlow:

I would like to find an Amazing Spider-Man and put it next to Hulk one day. I keep hoping that Stan Lee comes to a comic con near me so I can get my apron signed as well. Last time I checked they don't accept mail in's for autographs or I would have done that. Awesome looking machine btw.
Matt

I caught him at the Philly one a few years ago. I was hoping he would come back & I would go just to have him sign my Stern SM translight. I would probably have to go for IM & AVLE also...Actually it's probably cheaper if he stays away..

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Street:

I really enjoy my ASM. Man your playfield looks gorgeous. Mine is not near as nice. But it plays good. The only problem that I have that is reoccurring is the right pop bumper blows the 2 amp fuse every couple of weeks.

I had no idea you had one. Maybe bring me the pop bumper board at the May 30th tourney along with the Genie boards you mentioned last time and I'll take a look

#27 5 years ago

Here are mine. These were my grails, being a Marvel fan my entire life. Both signed by Stan, and Hulk is also signed by Lou Ferrigno. During MegaCon, I showed Stan the pic of my son playing, and he said it was "Amazing and awesome!" Thanks for looking! Love the thread and stories.

image.jpg
image-28.jpg
image-15.jpg
image-309.jpg
image-547.jpg

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Thanks, I would love to get that one replaced. Looks like Bay Area has a protector set for this game so I might just have to order that.

I guess I sold the good looking plastic you need. Here's the one I do have, not much better than yours.

WP_20150518_19_04_39_Pro.jpg WP_20150518_19_04_28_Pro.jpg WP_20150518_19_04_23_Pro.jpg
#29 5 years ago

Thanks for looking. I'll find one.

#30 5 years ago

I very seldom see Older Gottliebs like this for sale around here. Pretty cool thread to read.

#31 5 years ago

If anyone would have a good reason the 5 bank drop would reset fine for a few games then not be able to reset properly let me know. I assume something is heating up and getting off spec. Gonna try transistors first and the connector pins but would love to hear if anyone had the same issue and found the fix.

#32 5 years ago

Always check your under playfield fuse (2A slo-blo) and fuse block first they are the easiest to check for problems.

However, I'd be looking at the A1J4 to A3J1 connections, they tend to be the culprit in a lot of the cases. If a crimp has a crack in it (most of the time you can't see it without a magnifying loupe) or a dirty pad/crimp, it'll keep creating more resistance and as it gets warmer and the solenoid will get weaker. When it cools down, it'll be fine again, then it repeats. To find out if this is the cause, use a jumper with clips from the R59 resistor on the connector side (U on the connection) of the driver board to the 5VDC R30 pull up resistor on the Z30 side of the CPU board. If the solenoid now works flawlessly, the problem is in the connection between the two boards.

From there, you'll need to look at the transistors on the driver board Q64, then Q63.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#33 5 years ago

It's a simple suggestion but have you tried to reset the connector pins? Anytime I remotely have trouble, that's my go to. You may have to repin the connector to completely rule it out.

#34 5 years ago

I'll be repinning the connectors at any rate. Thanks for the advice and I'll be looking into this tonight.

1 week later
#35 5 years ago

Here is my Spidey. Great game! I added some LEDs recently. Really like how the green looks by the Lizard.image.jpg

#36 5 years ago

I had a nice amazing spiderman years ago and would like to get another one in nice condition.
Any one selling one of know of one for sale?

1 week later
#37 5 years ago

Lots of really good looking parts for Spidey listed on eBay recently if anyone is need.
ebay.com link

2 years later
#38 2 years ago

New Topic: Revamping my Amazing Spiderman Flippers.

Moved to system 80 club thread... can be deleted.

Thanks!

Stephen

2 months later
#39 2 years ago

I am planning on replacing the metal acorn nuts with rubber barrel caps to hold down the plastics. I have them on my recently acquired Paragon and think they look great, and would like to do the same on my Gottleib Spiderman.

When counting them up though, I noticed that some plastics are held down with screws instead of the posts with acorn nuts. I thought they may have just been repairs, but after checking a few online pictures, I see that many of them are consistent on other playfields. I have 11, of which 3 look like they should have the post/caps; however there are 8 of them that look like originally screws were used. 2 in the top A/B lanes in photo, 2 over the special target/left hand B lane, 2 by the spinner, and 2 over the right side exit lane.

Any idea why they used screws instead of posts with caps? I'm thinking about replacing the screws with posts/caps for consistency (although I never really noticed the difference before).

Do others have screws instead if posts in those locations? Has anyone replaced the screws with post/caps? Has anyone replaced the metal acorn nuts with rubber caps?

playfield screws (resized).JPG
detail (resized).JPG
rubberpostcap (resized).JPG

2 months later
#40 2 years ago

.pdf of Gottlieb Amazing Spiderman user manual can be found here:

http://www.gametronik.com/site/fiche/pinmame/Spiderman/

I knew there was one out there somewhere, 'cause I have a copy.

2 years later
#41 5 months ago

New member, although I have enjoyed the site for some time now. Here is my machine in its natural habitat. Cheers!

IMG_E4558 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#42 3 months ago

I had my Spider-Man now for over 23 years and I still love it.

20180325_085007 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#43 74 days ago

Had mine for 18... rebuilt the flippers a few years ago and replaced all the rubbers and changed the shooter spring... all super fast now. But I don’t think I have yet to roll it. 2 for Ottawa !!

75941E4C-7D5E-4B9A-A052-042B0A8A3459 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#44 34 days ago

My dynamic duo finally together.

20200925_121748 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#45 21 days ago

Nice! And in Ottawa! I was a big Hulk fan growing up. Ironically sold my Hulk comic collection and bought my Paragon with the proceeds ... Hulk 181 vs Paragon pinball. Was a hard decision.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 289.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
$ 289.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 47.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 1,000.00
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside