Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Rat_Tomago
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014Nov26 048.JPG
    2014Nov26 050.JPG
    motor.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

motor.jpgmotor.jpgLast night I tore down the score motor on the Drop A Card I'm restoring. Like normal, the brake is broken off.

So I figured, I'm this far in, might as well replace it if I can.

So anyone have one lying around they'd be willing to sell me?

The platter and bracket cleaned up nicely. There has to be something wrong with people like me, who will go to these ridiculous lengths to clean up parts on games that nobody will ever see.

#2 8 years ago

Looks great! I rarely go this far but always appreciate when others do. One can't help but be impressed when you pop the hood and everything looks like new.

I'm sure you're already aware that PBR sells the brake switch. If you're in that deep you will likely find some other little item you may need along the way.

#3 8 years ago

I try not to remove those switch stacks as they are a royal pain to put back together correctly. One time, had a couple switch ears touching that drove me nuts with finding that one! :oops:They do look best when torn down like that.

#4 8 years ago

No, I'm an idiot, I didn't even think of that. Anyone got a part number, I don't have the catalog for this period. I'll be including that with the order I'm finalizing, which contains many little items I will need. I think Jimmy is tired of me asking him for part numbers and he emailed me that he thinks the catalog would be very useful for me.

I guess I could always just put "motor brake switch" on the email and he'll know what to do

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

I try not to remove those switch stacks as they are a royal pain to put back together correctly. One time, had a couple switch ears touching that drove me nuts with finding that one! :oops:They do look best when torn down like that.

I'm not sure why I'm doing it, but I'm doing it. I labeled all the stacks so I know which is which, I've got the motor card to help, and I put nuts on the ends of all the screws which do not have them so the stacks won't come apart. Then it's just a matter of screwing them back in place. It can't be worse than trying to get switches back in the slots on relay activators, can it? Now THAT is a royal pain at times, especially on Gottliebs with those small switches. And yes, I'm doing that too-disassembling relays, ultrasonic cleaner, then back together they go.

#6 8 years ago

Motor brake switch assembly is B-8306 (it's the blade plus the spacers on it).

Standard operating procedure to rebuild the score motors as far as I'm concerned...

(And the later games have a hand-written date on the top of the score motor itself, which is kinda cool to see when a particular game was actually built.)

Also a good opportunity to oil the pads, top and bottom.

Add back some SuperLube on the dog bone switches, and other switches that hit cam posts, and these are ready for another 30 years.

2014Nov26 048.JPG2014Nov26 048.JPG 2014Nov26 050.JPG2014Nov26 050.JPG
    #7 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

It can't be worse than trying to get switches back in the slots on relay activators, can it?

I think it is a little worse. You need to be mindful of the stacks hitting each other. How to split the stack on each side of the stand up, and struggling with the stacks that are tied together via a stiff jumper wire can be a problem. Lots of pictures from lots of angles, including oblique angles helps a lot.

I do this fairly often. I enjoy working on a clean game. I feel that internal restoration is part of the process. I have gone a bit overboard on some "keepers" though.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

And yes, I'm doing that too-disassembling relays, ultrasonic cleaner, then back together they go.

Careful with that, mister. I posted about this a few years ago and got scolded for it.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

Careful with that, mister. I posted about this a few years ago and got scolded for it.

Not by me, I wouldn't think.

Dirt, thanks for the part number. I'll get that ordered.

Todd, I'm sure I've seen your video of the relay cleanup. I really just want to get the crud off the plastic part of the activator. I figured it would destroy the labels, but it didn't, they just cleaned up. A couple are missing and I'll make new ones, along with new ones for the motor assembly bracket.

The two stacks that are split came apart very easily and I marked them to be sure I remember which went where. Hopefully this all goes smoothly. I'm shining up the switch dogs too-they have that nice copper look to them that was so cool on Gottliebs of the era. So do the pop bumper brackets, and the brackets on the sides of the cab that hold the playfield when it's up. So cool.

I won't be putting the harness in the wash, though. I do have my limits

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

So anyone have one lying around they'd be willing to sell me?

If you need one in an emergency I have some in stock. Otherwise you already have it covered.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I won't be putting the harness in the wash, though. I do have my limits

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

» YouTube video

LOL. No doubt about it.

My favorite line in that one, though, is when Captain Avery tells Harry he has to work with Briggs, and if he steps out of line, he'll "flop you lower than whale shit" and Harry replies, "Speaking of whale shit, what have you come up with, Briggs?"

#13 8 years ago

One of my top 5 favorite movies.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-almost-always-broken-hardly-needed-motor-brake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.