image_(resized).jpeg
20160506_111838_(resized).jpg
20160507_200624_(resized).jpg
20160507_110139_(resized).jpg
20160506_195717_(resized).jpg
20160506_160625_(resized).jpg
HPIM3102_(resized).JPG
HPIM3101_(resized).JPG
There are 2,270 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 46.
#2101 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

bitching so much about small things you are never gonna change.

I heard they're changing it to BITCHFEST next year.

oh and no chicks,especially since you could get distracted and lose some WPPR points.

#2102 7 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I heard they're changing it to BITCHFEST next year.

LMAO, true statement...... For the record i was not complaining, i was trying to think of new ideas to help other pinsiders.

Quoted from JeffF:

To the people saying they would like a repair corner... how about you find the repair people and get a booth and then advertise these repair services? Take some initiative and some load off Ivan and crew and contribute yourselves. You can organize the repair techs and the people needing repairs. Start getting the word out a month or two before the show and set yourselves up for an event full of repairs.
Have an "emergency repair crew" that helps with repairs on the floor too if you want.
These are great ideas, just don't leave it to the organizers. People say WE should bring games to make the show better, YOU should help the organizers by volunteering yourself imho.

Im thinking about it actually......... we should re-visit this topic in a few months when we are closer to next years Pinfest. Id actually be interested in seeing how it works out at Pintastic.

#2103 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Have an "emergency repair crew" that helps with repairs on the floor too if you want.

That's a good idea. I think it might be good for "simple" repairs. (repair area) But, if it was that easy, I think one of the repair guys would have done it already...

#2104 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

We had one there this year: EABUNDY

He was working on a line of machines on the back wall. Really saved my day!!!!

#2105 7 years ago

At the TPF...a young tech dude was running around doing minor repairs....he was quick, very busy all weekend and I think made a few bucks. Not sure what he charged, (hell, he could have been a volunteer), but it seemed like a great gig for him...

#2106 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

To the people saying they would like a repair corner... how about you find the repair people and get a booth and then advertise these repair services? Take some initiative and some load off Ivan and crew and contribute yourselves. You can organize the repair techs and the people needing repairs. Start getting the word out a month or two before the show and set yourselves up for an event full of repairs.
These are great ideas, just don't leave it to the organizers. People say WE should bring games to make the show better, YOU should help the organizers by volunteering yourself imho.
Personally, I'm fine with the show as it's been the past 7 or 8 years I've gone. I'm finally planning to bring a game next year for free play. It's not much, but it's one more on the floor.

first of all, these are just ideas at this point. Ivan hasn't weighed in on the issue and nothing happens without his say so. I think he wouldn't be too happy if I were to say, hey, I'm setting up a repair area. Logistics need to be worked out if HE thinks the idea has merit. If he were to ask for volunteers to help with it, I would be happy to. I'm not a repair guy, but I could help move machines at the very least. Maybe legally there's a problem. Maybe insurance is a problem. Maybe space, power,parking are problems. So its a little premature to say "take the initiative and organize the repair techs".
Lets see how things go at pinterest. What are the problems. was it worthwhile? Did it generate more participation.
Remember, its just an idea. No need for anyone to get their panties twisted.

#2107 7 years ago

THANK YOU Pinfest and production team. It was a fun weekend and the "new to pins" guests I brought with me had a blast too.

Next year, if you could only do something about that rain.

#2108 7 years ago

Award a ticket for a separate "survivor's raffle" for every game which isn't in ratty shape and doesn't break by the end of the show. One for EM's and another for moderns.

Encouragement to do your homework *before* the show starts, eh?

#2109 7 years ago

Just want to add that it was my first pinfest and I had a great time. Was just there on Saturday. Didn't end up getting a pin, but was a great opportunity to play for the first time many machines that have had a lot of discussion on pinside. I plan on returning next year.

#2110 7 years ago

I too wanted to say we had a great time at Pinfest! This was my first experience of a Pin show of any type. We traveled all the way from California to visit my wifes parents near Allentown which was a nightmare due to a flight cancellation, but we made it to the show on Saturday. It was great meeting some of the vendors that I have placed many orders through in the past and playing many new machines. Due to the distance I couldnt buy any Pins, but I bought a BOP 2.0 kit from Cointaker and some parts so might as well have bought one! Thanks to everyone who put this show on, it was a big part of our fun vacation!

#2111 7 years ago

Would this be an interesting idea for a competition? Take 2 machines and have one of the pros disable something. Remove a wire, do something to the CPU, loose connection...whatever. Then have 2 people compete to see who finds the problem and fixes it first.
...er, or is that dopey?

#2112 7 years ago

Can't remember if I saw this or note...is ColorDMD providing an incentive to Pintastic folks this year?

#2113 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcadedl:

Can't remember if I saw this or note...is ColorDMD providing an incentive to Pintastic folks this year?

Probably should ask that in one of the Pintastic threads...

#2114 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Would this be an interesting idea for a competition? Take 2 machines and have one of the pros disable something. Remove a wire, do something to the CPU, loose connection...whatever. Then have 2 people compete to see who finds the problem and fixes it first.

This was done at Pinball Expo one year. I think they did not get enough interest to do it again. (Not that we couldn't try again...)
.................David Marston

#2115 7 years ago

Big thank you to bjsilverballs who brought one of the Congos! I played her twice during Sat. Once I waited for a couple to play a game then after playing, I played the guy behind me,(CAM,)and had a good game. I had packed up the car at 3 and realized I should really hit the restroom before I hit the road so I went back into the show. Afterwards I spotted the Congo still set up and all alone, so I ran over to play one more game. Had an even better game than before and realized that I was leaving too early?! I then ran through all the rows and played at least 8 more pins. Thanks bjsilverballs for not only bringing your pin down, but for staying till the end!

#2116 7 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Big thank you to bjsilverballs who brought one of the Congos! I played her twice during Sat. Once I waited for a couple to play a game then after playing, I played the guy behind me,(CAM,)and had a good game. I had packed up the car at 3 and realized I should really hit the restroom before I hit the road so I went back into the show. Afterwards I spotted the Congo still set up and all alone, so I ran over to play one more game. Had an even better game than before and realized that I was leaving too early?! I then ran through all the rows and played at least 8 more pins. Thanks bjsilverballs for not only bringing your pin down, but for staying till the end!

Did you wash your hands

#2117 7 years ago
Quoted from Fourbyracer:

We traveled all the way from California

I remember talking to you about the rain... thanks for stopping by my booth! Are you going to PAGG this weekend? Sure wish I was...

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync adapter kit

#2118 7 years ago

At 38 minutes there's about an hour of a walk though of Allentown with interviews with several vendors. Wish I had time to do more but once the doors opened on Friday it was a lot busier than I had anticipated. Interviews include Steve(Hemi) from Pinball Refinery, Joe of Lasserific, Mike Frasca(Masondixieauctions), Adam Kiesler of NorthStar in Montreal, Robert of Double Danger a pinball and probably someone I'm forgetting. I had a great time.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-23-gloveless-bob-and-sandals-for-the-win_78056

#2119 7 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Did you wash your hands

Hell yeah! I actually tipped my bathroom host my last single. The only way the day could've been better was if I took the time to hunt out some more pinsiders. Saw Eric Bundy, Francesco and all of his friends, Bruce, and spfxted"s awesome shirt. I missed Rob from Rochester, Colson, Monster bash, wanted to meet Beezle, JoeinNJ and Crazy Levi. Nice meeting Wick from Va, Joe from laserrific and Jose from Tiltgraphics and Steve from pinball refinery. Thanks Ivan!

#2120 7 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

I remember talking to you about the rain... thanks for stopping by my booth! Are you going to PAGG this weekend? Sure wish I was...

Not going to PAGG this weekend Rob, I was just at my first ever show, cant overdo it! lol

Your daughterboard is up and running in my BOP. Thanks!

Steve

#2121 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

At 38 minutes there's about an hour of a walk though of Allentown with interviews with several vendors.

The vendors might be my favorite part of pin shows. It's fun to see what is out there parts wise and get inspired to throw some new gear on your pins.

I'm very excited about these Convolux plastic protectors I grabbed from Colson D at Lights Out Pinball (lightsoutpinball.com) for my new TFTC. It's going to look great. He was super helpful and even hooked me up with some free LEDs.

Another great pin weekend.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2122 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Edited this together in Photoshop from a photo I took at Pinfest. Unfortunately it had to be a bit compressed down so I could upload it here, but meant to represent the time shift between the olden times and today. Think it turned out pretty nice (and not just a simple filter)! Definitely helped the age effect that I had a nearly immaculate North Star next to my not-so-nearly-immaculate Domino!

A.K.A., I was bored and this was a really nice photo to do something with.

Less-compressed looks much nicer: http://i.imgur.com/ux2Olve.jpg

myphoto_(resized).jpgmyphoto_(resized).jpg

#2123 7 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

The vendors might be my favorite part of pin shows. It's fun to see what is out there parts wise and get inspired to throw some new gear on your pins.
I'm very excited about these Convolux plastic protectors I grabbed from Colson D at Lights Out Pinball (lightsoutpinball.com) for my new TFTC. It's going to look great. He was super helpful and even hooked me up with some free LEDs.
Another great pin weekend.

I saw those. What are they made of?

#2124 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I saw those. What are they made of?

Not 100% sure on how they make them, I just know it feels like a special plastic that radiates the LED lights onto the edges. They had a GnR on display with red ones installed and it looked awesome. I think the blue is going to look so good on the TFTC.

Seems like they'll really protect my sensitive sling-shot plastics and really enhance the look.

http://www.lightsoutpinball.com/store.html#!/Pinball-Convolux-Fluorescent-Protective-Plastics/c/16139807/offset=0&sort=nameAsc

#2125 7 years ago

It was my 1st Allentown show and I thought it was pretty-good. I liked the Farmer's Market across the street too. I was in Allentown on business and timed the trip to allow me to hit the show too.

There was a decent selection of machines to play although it was obvious that some people still don't believe in the concept of a "Show" vs a Flea Market and were only there to either buy or sell stuff rather than anything else. That's not the main reason I go to a show. I can buy a pinball machine anytime I want. I don't need to go to a show other than to play them and mingle.

Too many pins were removed early and shut-off after being sold. It definitely takes a lot of the luster out of the show and the penalty for early removal should be looked at as the consignment fee and buyer's premium like an auction would charge. They should increase the penalty for removing games early though to $50 or more. Maybe that will help remind people what a "show" is really supposed to be about.

Sellers get to bring machines to a large show and sell them for free which is a great deal in itself not to mention getting free admission too. Try doing that on eBay or anywhere else with no consignment fees.

I sold some of my parts to fellow Pinsiders and had the chance to meet them in person but I didn't go to the show to sell parts. I went to hang out and play some pinball although I did buy a couple knick knacks too.

That's just the way I feel about it. People who think they are owed something because they brought a game that they were trying to sell at the show really need to remove their heads from their asses. Especially if they are complaining about the early removal fee. The people who bring games to the show just for others to play that are not for sale are the true credits to the hobby and should be commended. Unfortunately those are getting fewer and far between nowadays.

I think Pinfest was well-organized and managed nicely. I had a good time and it was worth the $34 I paid for two days. No complaints there. I hope I can go again.

#2126 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

People who think they are owed something because they brought a game that they were trying to sell at the show really need to remove their heads from their asses.

People who didn't bring games to the show and keep trying to tell those who did that they don't "know what shows are all about" really need to remove their heads from their asses.

Once again, it's not rocket science. These shows work because the formula works. And there are always complains cause people always complain. All of the suggestions I've read in these threads - more security, higher fees, other moronic draconian punative measures - will do nothing but cause ruin the show and cause fights. If you think you can run a better show and magically ensure the games stay there till 9 pm ever night, let's see you do it. If it's within two hours of NYC I'll be there.

#2127 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

It was my 1st Allentown show and I thought it was pretty-good. I liked the Farmer's Market across the street too. I was in Allentown on business and timed the trip to allow me to hit the show too.
There was a decent selection of machines to play although it was obvious that some people still don't believe in the concept of a "Show" vs a Flea Market and were only there to either buy or sell stuff rather than anything else. That's not the main reason I go to a show. I can buy a pinball machine anytime I want. I don't need to go to a show other than to play them and mingle.
Too many pins were removed early and shut-off after being sold. It definitely takes a lot of the luster out of the show and the penalty for early removal should be looked at as the consignment fee and buyer's premium like an auction would charge. They should increase the penalty for removing games early though to $50 or more. Maybe that will help remind people what a "show" is really supposed to be about.
Sellers get to bring machines to a large show and sell them for free which is a great deal in itself not to mention getting free admission too. Try doing that on eBay or anywhere else with no consignment fees.
I sold some of my parts to fellow Pinsiders and had the chance to meet them in person but I didn't go to the show to sell parts. I went to hang out and play some pinball although I did buy a couple knick knacks too.
That's just the way I feel about it. People who think they are owed something because they brought a game that they were trying to sell at the show really need to remove their heads from their asses. Especially if they are complaining about the early removal fee. The people who bring games to the show just for others to play that are not for sale are the true credits to the hobby and should be commended. Unfortunately those are getting fewer and far between nowadays.
I think Pinfest was well-organized and managed nicely. I had a good time and it was worth the $34 I paid for two days. No complaints there. I hope I can go again.

It was very nice getting to meet you in person! Thanks so much for your wonderful parts! You were very kind to me with your prices. Your stuff is beautiful, looks wonderful and fit perfectly. The back story was way cool, not often you get to meet a manufacturer. Your parts are installed and looking great.

#2128 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People who didn't bring games to the show and keep trying to tell those who did that they don't "know what shows are all about" really need to remove their heads from their asses.
Once again, it's not rocket science. These shows work because the formula works. And there are always complains cause people always complain. All of the suggestions I've read in these threads - more security, higher fees, other moronic draconian punative measures - will do nothing but cause ruin the show and cause fights. If you think you can run a better show and magically ensure the games stay there till 9 pm ever night, let's see you do it. If it's within two hours of NYC I'll be there.

I would bet that 9 out of ten of the complainers never brought a game to the show, while we're at it there are some that think because they paid a 17 dollar fee they should have access to all games in the show and treat them like shit. I will never stop bringing games to the shows I attend, non of mine were for sale, but I had many offers, I wish that attendees of the show would respect the fact that some of us bring games from our collection just to share, if it doesn't have a for sale sign or a price on it, it's not for sale. I had a person ask if it was for sale, when I said no, he said I will pull out ten grand and you won't say no, I said no anyway

#2129 7 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Not 100% sure on how they make them, I just know it feels like a special plastic that radiates the LED lights onto the edges. They had a GnR on display with red ones installed and it looked awesome. I think the blue is going to look so good on the TFTC.
Seems like they'll really protect my sensitive sling-shot plastics and really enhance the look.
http://www.lightsoutpinball.com/store.html#!/Pinball-Convolux-Fluorescent-Protective-Plastics/c/16139807/offset=0&sort=nameAsc

I got some for my Judge Dredd. He said they have a distributor in Germany and they are the exclusive dealer. If they had a kit for EATPM I would have gotten them too. Super nice dudes.

#2130 7 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

I would bet that 9 out of ten of the complainers never brought a game to the show, while we're at it there are some that think because they paid a 17 dollar fee they should have access to all games in the show and treat them like shit. I will never stop bringing games to the shows I attend, non of mine were for sale, but I had many offers, I wish that attendees of the show would respect the fact that some of us bring games from our collection just to share, if it doesn't have a for sale sign or a price on it, it's not for sale. I had a person ask if it was for sale, when I said no, he said I will pull out ten grand and you won't say no, I said no anyway

I had this happen as well. Pinball Magic was not for sale, even though could have doubled what I paid for it (had 2 real offers way above that). It's not always about selling. I brought it for people to enjoy, and that they did!

Chris

#2131 7 years ago

This 2016 Allentown show was my 3rd one. I attended on Friday. I have thoroughly enjoyed them all. This year, I came with a 4 part mission: 1) Find some parts for my High Speed machine; 2) Sell some parts that I no longer needed from High Speed and Millionaire; 3) Find a High Speed machine and play it for comparison to mine; 4) Find a Gorgar machine and play it as a friend of mine wants to buy one soon and relive his younger years. I succeeded on all 4 points of my mission. And, to my surprise, in the Free Play area, was a Gorgar and High Speed side by side !! What are the odds of finding them like that ? I was pleased with the whole atmosphere of the show. The vendors were nice to me and I enjoyed striking up conversations with other fellow pinball enthusiasts. Even the jukeboxes were interesting to me, especially the cassette based one. Looking forward to next year already.

#2132 7 years ago

I appreciate the fact that y'all appreciate whats left of pinball.Which aint much.so stop complaining

#2133 7 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I appreciate the fact that y'all appreciate whats left of pinball.Which aint much.so stop complaining

?? Still tons of pinballs around.

ar131309148510904_(resized).jpgar131309148510904_(resized).jpg

#2134 7 years ago
Quoted from cooperson2:

This 2016 Allentown show was my 3rd one. I attended on Friday. I have thoroughly enjoyed them all. This year, I came with a 4 part mission: 1) Find some parts for my High Speed machine; 2) Sell some parts that I no longer needed from High Speed and Millionaire; 3) Find a High Speed machine and play it for comparison to mine; 4) Find a Gorgar machine and play it as a friend of mine wants to buy one soon and relive his younger years. I succeeded on all 4 points of my mission. And, to my surprise, in the Free Play area, was a Gorgar and High Speed side by side !! What are the odds of finding them like that ? I was pleased with the whole atmosphere of the show. The vendors were nice to me and I enjoyed striking up conversations with other fellow pinball enthusiasts. Even the jukeboxes were interesting to me, especially the cassette based one. Looking forward to next year already.

Yup both those pins were mine, High Speed and Gorgar, and both sold, High speed got hammered all weekend, and held up great,
Gorgar's sound board bit the dust but I made it right to the new owner and sent him another sound speech board out monday and he is as happy as can be, old board is back and fixed, ready for the next Gorgar restore

#2135 7 years ago
Quoted from 80spit:

Yup both those pins were mine, High Speed and Gorgar, and both sold, High speed got hammered all weekend, and held up great,
Gorgar's sound board bit the dust but I made it right to the new owner and sent him another sound speech board out monday and he is as happy as can be, old board is back and fixed, ready for the next Gorgar restore

The buyer should be happy. If the board crapped-out at the show it would have failed after he got the machine home eventually too. He had the opportunity to "kick the tires" before buying plus had it "debugged" via a thorough and rigorous testing period at the show. lol

These machines were meant to be played. Thanks for bringing them and following through on your commitment to keep them there for the success of the show. You are a credit to the hobby.

You obviously weren't one of the whiners who were only there to get in for free, make a quick buck, and then split (and didn't give a dam about the success of the show).

#2136 7 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

It was very nice getting to meet you in person! Thanks so much for your wonderful parts! You were very kind to me with your prices. Your stuff is beautiful, looks wonderful and fit perfectly. The back story was way cool, not often you get to meet a manufacturer. Your parts are installed and looking great.

Thanks for the compliments man! I'm glad you like the parts. It was nice meeting you too as well as all the others I had the opportunity to see there. It was a good time.

#2137 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Maybe that will help remind people what a "show" is really supposed to be about

Maybe the first timer shouldn't be trying to redefined what this show 'is really about' for the many many years its been running??

Allentown has been the biggest 'swap meet' show in the MidAtlantic for ages. It's known as the place to buy/sell and will have the best flea market of any show in the region. It was the show with the biggest pull that would bring in the vendors from the middle distances like IPB, PBR, etc vs the more local consistent guys like Mayfair, Pinball Medic, etc.

The STRENGTH of allentown has been it's pull as a buy/sell location.

Signed
-Not a first timer

#2138 7 years ago

Yes Allentown is the best place to buy and sell, I picked up 3 pins that I pre bought from afar, these were not destined for freeplay and were projects, Thats what is nice about the show, its a meeting place to make new friends and just have pinball overload for the weekend. I can't remember names, but I met a lot of great people, and on average everyone I talked to was pleasant . Then the great cool down at the comfort inn, man that was a blast at the bar. didn't get to bed until 2 am Friday night. stopped by one room, had 3 pinballs in it!! party central any way you put it Allentown is my #1 show, but Pintastic is looking to have a great future too

#2139 7 years ago

Allentown has always been the buy/sell show. It's centrally located for the east coast and tons of people meet there to pick up and drop off.

Maybe the show should just embrace that and go all flea market.

#2140 7 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

You are on to something here.

Maybe the problem with the show isn't the people who bring games - it's the low $17 fee that draws in entitled cheapskates who don't contribute to the show yet think they "know what a show is all about ."

Maybe these sweeping reforms everybody is proposing should be aimed at the general showgoers, not the people who actually bring games and have to put up with this nonsense.

If elected, I will institute these reforms:

1. Higher entry fee. $17 is way too cheap, it draws in entitled cheapskates, and doesn't provide enough incentive for people to bring games. At $25 or $30 to get in the show, people like gate crasher will surely be more likely to bring in games to save on admission.

2. Early leave fee. If you want to leave the show before 5 pm, you have to pay $10 "exit fee" since fewer people in attendance hurts the show. In addition, people who stay till 8pm will get a $10 "attendance refund."

3. No bitching pizza party. Attendees who don't bitch and moan about there not being enough late model DMDs to play - and sign a "complacency oath" agreeing not whine online about the lack of 5 AFMs to play will be eligible for a special post-show pizza party.

I think these proposals, if adopted, would greatly improve the show and address the biggest problem: entitled know it alls who think their measly $17 fee justifies their overall negative impact in the show. They will help adjust and balance the show and overall raise it's tone and make it better for everyone.

#2141 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Maybe the first timer shouldn't be trying to redefined what this show 'is really about' for the many many years its been running??
Allentown has been the biggest 'swap meet' show in the MidAtlantic for ages. It's known as the place to buy/sell and will have the best flea market of any show in the region. It was the show with the biggest pull that would bring in the vendors from the middle distances like IPB, PBR, etc vs the more local consistent guys like Mayfair, Pinball Medic, etc.
The STRENGTH of allentown has been it's pull as a buy/sell location.
Signed
-Not a first timer

I may be a first timer as you call me to the Allentown Show but am hardly a 1st timer to pinball shows. I live in the pinball capital of the world dude. I am also a parts manufacturer who supplies parts to vendors who were at the show and participate in other shows including the Chicago Expo. I have also brought multiple pins to them when I can and keep them there for the show's entirety (even if I sell them). I'm not there just to make money and act like the show owes me something just because I brought a machine. I have brought them to shows before for zero compensation.

The majority of people who paid $17 to go to the Allentown Show didn't go there to buy a machine. I paid $34 and wasn't planning on buying anything. If it was just a flea market like you make it out to be, there would be no need for machines set to free play just for the attendees and far fewer people would show-up and it would do little to promote the hobby. Most people wouldn't pay $17 to get in either. If you take away all the games set to free play the attendance would go way down.

Quoted from jwilson:

Allentown has always been the buy/sell show. It's centrally located for the east coast and tons of people meet there to pick up and drop off.
Maybe the show should just embrace that and go all flea market.

That may be the thing to do in Allentown if that's all anyone gets from it. Change the name from "Pinfest" to "Pinflea".

#2142 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are on to something here.
Maybe the problem with the show isn't the people who bring games - it's the low $17 fee that draws in entitled cheapskates who don't contribute to the show yet think they "know what a show is all about ."
Maybe these sweeping reforms everybody is proposing should be aimed at the general showgoers, not the people who actually bring games and have to put up with this nonsense.
If elected, I will institute these reforms:
1. Higher entry fee. $17 is way too cheap, it draws in entitled cheapskates, and doesn't provide enough incentive for people to bring games. At $25 or $30 to get in the show, people like gate crasher will surely be more likely to bring in games to save on admission.
2. Early leave fee. If you want to leave the show before 5 pm, you have to pay $10 "exit fee" since fewer people in attendance hurts the show. In addition, people who stay till 8pm will get a $10 "attendance refund."
3. No bitching pizza party. Attendees who don't bitch and moan about there not being enough late model DMDs to play - and sign a "complacency oath" agreeing not whine online about the lack of 5 AFMs to play will be eligible for a special post-show pizza party.
I think these proposals, if adopted, would greatly improve the show and address the biggest problem: entitled know it alls who think their measly $17 fee justifies their overall negative impact in the show. They will help adjust and balance the show and overall raise it's tone and make it better for everyone.

I think 30 dollars is reasonable price.Norefunds.Just price compare other "trade shows" it's totally within reason.

As far as DMD games go what everyone really wants is the B/W games.Well that stuff has been picked through and gets less and less every year.You want DMDs?Try to get multiple titles of NIB stuff.Because those 90s DMDs are fading with every day month year.

Just on observation of conventions of any kind,even if you're a plumber,go the first day because it always the best day.

Allentown has always been a mini vacation for me.I start early and go as long as I can.And I keep going back. Good times.Sorry I missed it this year?

#2143 7 years ago

Well if we are going down the road of "fees", how about ivan charges an extra 10.00, per day to those who enter but don't bring a game and he can pay the extra money he gets from that fee to the rest of us that bring games. Then the entitled will have a reason to feel they can abuse others games. I will have a reason to bring more games and won't mind if I'm getting money to fix the things on my machines that break

#2144 7 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I may be a first timer as you call me to the Allentown Show but am hardly a 1st timer to pinball shows. I live in the pinball capital of the world dude. I am also a parts manufacturer who supplies parts to vendors who were at the show and participate in other shows including the Chicago Expo. I have also brought multiple pins to them when I can and keep them there for the show's entirety (even if I sell them). I'm not there just to make money and act like the show owes me something just because I brought a machine. I have brought them to shows before for zero compensation.
The majority of people who paid $17 to go to the Allentown Show didn't go there to buy a machine. I paid $34 and wasn't planning on buying anything. If it was just a flea market like you make it out to be, there would be no need for machines set to free play just for the attendees and far fewer people would show-up and it would do little to promote the hobby. Most people wouldn't pay $17 to get in either. If you take away all the games set to free play the attendance would go way down.

That may be the thing to do in Allentown if that's all anyone gets from it. Change the name from "Pinfest" to "Pinflea".

Note I said "this show" - there is the possibility that shows can center around different things.

If the shoe didn't strike you as expo east.. So what. The show has a strong and diverse free play area and even stronger market.

Stick to expo if that strokes it for you

#2145 7 years ago
Quoted from rockfantasyman:

isn't just wonderful that I am being called a dope because I brought a good friend who likes pinball and happens to be attractive ! her name is faith and she worked at the pingraffix/ Rock Fantasy booth on Friday ! she usually attends the fest each year and helps me out with my booth . and yes she owns a pinball !
I own Rock Fantasy Concert Shop /pinball Room in Middletown New York. we sponsor the annual tournament each year ! and we organized the pinfest pinball tournament for two years when Brian Smith stopped doing it !
ps
I am not john pop either lol ! wonder why I hardly ever go on Pinside anymore !
now to the show ! I picked up the super rare Midway Mystery Score ! and Ivan's Abra Cadabra em !
and why do you bring the Spooky Rob Zombie pinball and put it on such a low volume ! I know the come with Michael Pupo's Flipper Fidelity system installed ! and congrats to Timmy Sexton on Winning the big Pinfest tournament Saturday ! nuff said Keeler out !

Dude, Faith was awesome! Comic Cons have been getting some pretty ladies for years. Nice to see some at Pinfest. My dad, who's 60 BTW was enamored by her. We've been going to the Allentown Show since '05 and were talking to each other about how the female presence has grown. Now we're both happily married men (I guess ?) but it's nice to see the increase in female presence at these shows. Thumbs up from two guys that have been going for over 10 years.

#2146 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

?? Still tons of pinballs around.

Nice photo. Just use some photoshop to block out you and maybe a weeeee bit of cropping and you got something there. Thumbs up!

#2147 7 years ago
Quoted from 80spit:

80Spit is the Gorgar master! I'd always trust to buy one off him. He's repaired A LOT of them.

#2148 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Note I said "this show" - there is the possibility that shows can center around different things.
If the shoe didn't strike you as expo east.. So what. The show has a strong and diverse free play area and even stronger market.
Stick to expo if that strokes it for you

I'm not the one complaining about the show. You are.

You are the one who feels they are being taken advantage of by the organizers of the show.

I said I liked the show.

As a matter of fact, here's a quote from my first post in this thread;

"I think Pinfest was well-organized and managed nicely. I had a good time and it was worth the $34 I paid for two days. No complaints there. I hope I can go again."

So why not just drop the offensive attitude?

If you don't like the way the show is managed then maybe you can start your own "show" in Virginia. We could use another one.

#2149 7 years ago
Quoted from 80spit:

Yes Allentown is the best place to buy and sell, I picked up 3 pins that I pre bought from afar, these were not destined for freeplay and were projects, Thats what is nice about the show, its a meeting place to make new friends and just have pinball overload for the weekend. I can't remember names, but I met a lot of great people, and on average everyone I talked to was pleasant . Then the great cool down at the comfort inn, man that was a blast at the bar. didn't get to bed until 2 am Friday night. stopped by one room, had 3 pinballs in it!! party central any way you put it Allentown is my #1 show, but Pintastic is looking to have a great future too

Guess you stopped into my room Couldn't keep track of everyone!

#2150 7 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Nice photo. Just use some photoshop to block out you and maybe a weeeee bit of cropping and you got something there. Thumbs up!

Lol, just googled "pinballs"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

There are 2,270 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-allentown-pinfest-2016-thread/page/43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.