Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sschickbites (resized).JPG
    8EC4008F-013D-42C7-B6DF-277DB051934A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_7458 (resized).JPG
    Instantpot (resized).jpg
    B71A993C-5CD8-4CFB-8B1A-EEE71051B9C4 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220207_000033238 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7392 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7387 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7347 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7375 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7354 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7351 (resized).JPG
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

If you have a good convection oven, you don't need an air fryer. Just use a perforated cooking sheet so the air can fully circulate and make sure you line the area underneath with a large tray or foil to catch any drippings. The plus is that you can put a ton of stuff on without stacking (which kills the air fryer effect) and it's WAY easier on cleanup.

I've got a Bosch convection oven and the results are exactly the same as the Ninja. Cooking times aren't that much longer, in my experience, but that likely is a factor of how good the convection feature of your oven actually is and, most importantly, put the foods cooked in the exact center of the oven.

I do find the air fryer is better/faster if I just want a quick snack. But for meals for more than 2 people, the oven works better as I don't have to work in batches.

#52 2 years ago

More soaking, less olive oil, right combination of time and size of cuts = amazeballs!

8EC4008F-013D-42C7-B6DF-277DB051934A (resized).jpeg8EC4008F-013D-42C7-B6DF-277DB051934A (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #53 2 years ago

Try parboiling your potatoes (boiling for 2-5 minutes) and then drying off before cutting into fries. It makes a world of difference. You get the crispy outside without having to overcook the potato to have it fully done -crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Want to take it a step further? Look up a recipe on homemade tater tots. They are easy to make and you will NEVER buy pre-made again.

#54 2 years ago

Is there a consensus on which rand model is the most user friendly? We have an instapot but I’ve been looking for a good air fryer.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Try parboiling your potatoes (boiling for 2-5 minutes) and then drying off before cutting into fries. It makes a world of difference. You get the crispy outside without having to overcook the potato to have it fully done -crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Want to take it a step further? Look up a recipe on homemade tater tots. They are easy to make and you will NEVER buy pre-made again.

I also saw something similar, to microwave the slices to parboil, which brings out the starch and you don't have to soak them.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Quoted from Skybug:

I also saw something similar, to microwave the slices to parboil, which brings out the starch and you don't have to soak them.

....whaaaaaa. I will have to try this next time.

#57 2 years ago

Bought a Ninja air fryer at Costco a few months ago and absolutely love it.

I use it 4-5 times a week.

Costco has a chicken cordon bleu that's amazing air fried. Be sure to spritz the coating with cooking spray for extra crispiness.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Bought a Ninja air fryer at Costco a few months ago and absolutely love it.
    I use it 4-5 times a week.
    Costco has a chicken cordon bleu that's amazing air fried. Be sure to spritz the coating with cooking spray for extra crispiness.

is it a ninja air fryer, or the foodi all in one?

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

is it a ninja air fryer, or the foodi all in one?

I'm pretty sure it's just the Ninja.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

If you have a good convection oven, you don't need an air fryer.

Yes I think Air Fryers are a scam. They popped up years ago as another gimmick to sell to the mass consumers(suckers). What can I get my wife for Christmas this year? How about a Ninja Foodie Air Fryer? Then it gets used a few times before thrown under the cabinet to collect dust. I thought the Forman grill was a scam-now the Air Fryers have taken the place of the old 'Sears Specials'.

If you have a decent oven it is really simple-crank the temp up and if it has convection-boom you just saved yourself a couple hundred bucks and more cabinet storage. Just the thought of having to wash those things makes me shake my head in confusion. I could maybe see people wanting them for really crispy french fries or something but people cooking Salmon, etc? Save yourself the money and do not waste a dime on the 'Fryer scam'. Years from now you will see them at garage sales for $5-$10 so if you really want one-may wait.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Then it gets used a few times before thrown under the cabinet to collect dust.

The same can be said for any kitchen device. How many people have a rice cooker, pasta maker, bread maker, sandwich maker, waffle maker, blender, all neatly stored in a cupboard after only a couple of uses?

FWIW I use my air fryer almost every day for everything from 'frying' to a conventional fan oven - it uses a fraction of the energy compared to switching on a full oven and if you're only cooking for 1 or 2 is more than adequate. I also use my George Foreman grill regularly.

Quoted from pinmister:

Just the thought of having to wash those things makes me shake my head in confusion

Just like any other appliance, if they're cleaned shortly after use, rather than allowing grease and dirt to build up they're a doddle. A damn sight easier than cleaning the majority of appliances, including an oven.

#62 2 years ago

I'm with WJ - way easier to clean the air fryer than an oven.

I use mine at least 4 times/week

#63 2 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

it uses a fraction of the energy compared to switching on a full oven and if you're only cooking for 1 or 2 is more than adequate.

This is key. Huge waste of time & energy to fire up a 5 cubic foot oven for a couple salmon filets. I still use the actual convection oven for stuff like a sheet pan full of bacon.

#64 2 years ago

Unexpected post on pinside lol but hell yeah my air frier has more mileage than a NY taxi.
    We have not used oil to fry anything for +5 yearsS

I reheat almost anything there and cook sausages and pretty much any type of ‘street food’ that is otherwise casually cooked on a bbq.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:Yes I think Air Fryers are a scam. They popped up years ago as another gimmick to sell to the mass consumers(suckers). What can I get my wife for Christmas this year? How about a Ninja Foodie Air Fryer? Then it gets used a few times before thrown under the cabinet to collect dust. I thought the Forman grill was a scam-now the Air Fryers have taken the place of the old 'Sears Specials'.

I dont find them a scam, they are amazing!, But I agree the barrel ones that usually go in and out of storage get used less.
    Getting one thats shaped and replaces a toaster oven, stays on the counter.

We dont gourmet cook, but I had the "debate" with a good friend, who is a talented chef.
    So, I sent him a Ninja XL for $119, and I received back pics of stuffed Mushrooms, baked Muffins,
    Grilled Kabobs, even a huge steak.

He swears it outperforms almost everything he has used, but was grateful I didnt send one that only Air Fries, and it grills/frys.

With 3 to 4 racks, we easily do a full meal for 3,

3 months later
    #66 1 year ago

Stuffed peppers, reheating left-over pizza (especially if you like a crunchy crust), and these Chick-fil-A copy chicken nuggets are fantastic after a few minutes in my air fryer...

sschickbites (resized).JPGsschickbites (resized).JPG

#67 1 year ago

Just got one of these Air Fryers….any of you guys have any favorite recipes you could post? Pinside peeps are fanatical for finding the best things so I’m sure recipes will be no different. Thanks in Advance!

#68 1 year ago

I’m still waiting for pinmeister to post a video of himself scoring an air fryer for $10 at a yard sale

“See!!!! See!!! I told you!!”

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-air-fryer-thread/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.