(Topic ID: 227147)

The age old question... which wax do I choose?

By Rayy

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The age old question... which wax do I choose?”

• Carnu-B Wax 5 votes
      9%
    • Blitz Wax 43 votes
      75%
    • P21-S Silver top Wax 6 votes
      11%
    • S100 Carnauba Wax 3 votes
      5%

(57 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

x (resized).jpeg
    31c8d5f14bff3e70a77e17fc1affca0922bbba0d (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    sex-wax-orange-fade_600x (resized).jpg
    msds-wildcat-125.pdf (PDF preview)
    Wildcat msds.pdf (PDF preview)
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rayy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So, I've been doing a lot of reading on here lately, and went through vid's restoration guides and was introduced to blitz wax (I have not used it or any other paste wax in the past). My machines unfortunately have seen a wide variety of cleaners and waxes over the years. But I'm going to be putting in a cpr playfield into my xenon at some point soon and I would also like to attempt a good restoration of my pinbot. So I want to make sure I'm using the right stuff now. I've narrowed it down to 4 waxes to use (plan on using naptha to clean the old wax off the playfields). I would like to hear what everyone's opinion is on these 4 waxes and which one I should go with.

1st. Carnu-b Carnauba wax. This is the wax I've been using for the last couple years, I haven't found an ingredients list on it, but it has always seemed to do a really good job. My biggest concern is I don't know if it contains silicone. Maybe someone else has had some experience with this stuff in the past? Here's a link to the wax. https://carnu-b.com/wax/8-carnu-b-car-wax.html 25 bucks for a 16 oz bottle.

2nd. Blitz Wax. From what I've read this is one of the favorites on here. Vid highly recommends it in his guides, it is somewhat spendy but not the most expensive option... 32 bucks for 12 oz jar.

3rd. P21-S Silver top. No Beeswax, supposedly lasts longer than the blue top. So I think I've eliminated the blue top from my list... Unless someone puts forth a good argument for it. 44 bucks for a 6.2 oz jar... that's a lot hah.

4th. S100 Carnauba Paste Wax. I Haven't heard much about this one... I've heard maybe its better than the blue top p21s, I've also heard other opinions on it... Price is 16 bucks for 6.2 oz...

Those are my options. Please don't bother suggesting other waxes, I've narrowed it down to these 4, so would love to hear my fellow pinsiders chime in and let me know which wax they would be buying if they were me.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I actually contacted some wax manufacturers (not big box store brands) about their carnauba waxes, and if their product contained silicone. Apparently, if it was truly carnauba and nothing else, it would be like a brick. Very hard and for all practical purposes, impossible to apply. So it is not uncommon that even w/carnauba, there will be additives (silicone) to make it pliable. While I learned something, I ended up being more frustrated in the end on what to use.
    From wiki: "Although too brittle to be used by itself, carnauba wax is often combined with other waxes (principally beeswax) to treat and waterproof many leather products where it provides a high-gloss finish and increases leather's hardness and durability." Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnauba_wax
    And from Meguiar's: "Carnauba wax is harder then concrete in natural forum must be softened with solvents." Link: https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?25310-The-MYTHS-of-Carnauba-wax

Yeah definitely pure carnauba is hard as rock. But there are lots of different additives you can use to soften up the wax. Silicone is one of them, and from what I understand if a wax has Silicone in it it can really cause problems if you ever go to clearcoat the playfield. So it's one of the ones I'm trying to stay away from.

Sounds like Blitz Wax is the way I'm gonna go then. Greatly appreciate all the replies.

As far as the wildcat wax goes I can't say I will ever trust the stuff. I've seen too many negative points on it. Also, I have a lightning and there are 2 large triangle inserts on the lower playfield. This machine used to be cleaned solely with wildcat 125. Those plastic triangle inserts have started to warp over the years. I'm not going to say 100% that it was the wildcat 125, but when I heard about it's disagreements with plastics I immediately assumed that was the cause of my triangle inserts warping. I have since changed to other cleaners/waxes and the warping seems to have stopped. I know there are some people who swear it is the best cleaner out there for pinballs. But why use something that your taking a risk with when you can use something else that you know will work just as well with no risk? And I had heard negatives about wildcat 125 well before I started looking at pinside. So can't blame anything on here for that.

#32 5 years ago

My other concern with Wildcat... It's Bally recommended right? So is that possibly one of the reasons that so many of the early bally pinballs have such terrible playfields? I just know that I've seen a TON of bally machines in terrible shape. Honestly my Xenon playfield is shot (New CPR Playfield ready to go!) and I have an embryon that was shot when I got it. so many spots that were bare wood it wasn't even funny. So did wildcat have something to do with this? maybe? maybe not... but it sure if a bit of a coincidence.

#46 5 years ago

Well I was trying to keep this from becoming an argumentative question by stating that I was only interested in the 4 waxes I had posted haha. Obviously that didn't work out. Yes Bally used to recommend wildcat. Yes Williams has suggested to not use "liquid cleaners due to mylar issues". Were they talking directly about wildcat? I think so. Is there proof? probably not. But with that being said, once again why use something that poses a risk to your plastic pieces when you can use other cleaners/waxes that pose almost 0 risk to anything on your playfield. I'd rather stay safe...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rayy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-age-old-question-which-wax-do-i-choose?tu=rayy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.