(Topic ID: 111264)

The Addams Family with no Topper - Sacrilege?

By Strange

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by t2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TAF2.JPG
boki.jpg
topper.jpg
PinBall-Machines-6.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hi Guys

Just wondering what you think of owning The Addams Family with no topper. I hate toppers. They make games feel like cheap amusements that should be at Chuck E Cheese than cool pieces of pop art that can be in your gameroom. If I ever got Addams I would probably take off the topper, same with other games like White Water. Just wondering if you think I'm nuts.

PinBall-Machines-6.jpg

#2 7 years ago

Nope, I agree. The only game that NEEDS a topper is Whirlwind.

#3 7 years ago

Art is in the eyes of the beholder. If you don't want a topper, then don't have one. It's an amazing game either way.

#4 7 years ago

I like original toppers but find most after-market toppers to be tacky. For the games I own with original toppers, it's hard to imagine them without (Pin*Bot, High Speed and TAF). I don't think the multiball sequence in TAF is the same without the topper. Also, the TAF topper includes the mansion's attic.

Whirlwind is a great example of a topper integrated with the game.

#5 7 years ago

Actually it looks really nice without it. I'd prob keep mine on though

#6 7 years ago

IMO, the topper on TAF is awesome. SHOWTIME wouldn't be the same without it!

#7 7 years ago

Also, Matt McKee toppers always seem to really integrate well with the machines

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Just wondering if you think I'm nuts.

Yep.

#9 7 years ago

F-14, Whirlwind and a few others need a topper - most games do not.

#10 7 years ago

I think you're nuts to take the topper off White Water, it's so integrated into the game that the title isn't even on the translite.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think you're nuts to take the topper off White Water, it's so integrated into the game that the title isn't even on the translite.

And how is that any different than TAF?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Nope, I agree. The only game that NEEDS a topper is Whirlwind and F14.

Fixed!

Also, I owned a TAF with no topper, and it still sucked regardless of its presence. I just recently figured out that the topper was supposed to be a cloud. Quite a stretch unfortunately. Every one I've seen looks like an inverted lumpy Jello mold with a couple stickers peeling off.

#13 7 years ago

Hard to imagine my Getaway without its topper. The flashing police dome combined with the siren sounds inform the room you're into a special part of the game. I also like the one on TAF. The "lightning" in the cloud coordinated with the lightning sound effects during multi-ball intro is pretty neat, I think. But to each his own.

#14 7 years ago

Always wondered why they made the cloud clear instead of white.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Fixie:

Always wondered why they made the cloud clear instead of white.

Probably so the flashers can shine through to create the very cool lightning effect on the ceiling.

How many people don't even know that it does that?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And how is that any different than TAF?

Derp, that too!

#17 7 years ago

This is the only type of Topper I would want on any of my games. The rest need not apply~

boki.jpg

#18 7 years ago

I love toppers. Some are done really well and I add them to most of my games. So I'm the exact opposite. I can't imagine my TWDLE without the laseriffic topper. It makes it awesome.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

Just wondering if you think I'm nuts.

Yup.

Aw, just kidding, each to their own.
Feel free to rip the topper off any pin you own, I'm sure there is someone out there that needs one and will thank you for it.
Me - I love my toppers. Can't imagine My PinBot, F-14, Whirlwind, FishTales or Doctor Who without them.
Hell, I even made one for Black Knight...
topper.jpg

#20 7 years ago

If a game was designed with a topper, I want the topper.

Not a big fan of other toppers, but I evaluate them game by game.

#21 7 years ago

i like the topper on it. like the previous post says, it came with it, i want it. to each his own though

#22 7 years ago

After market toppers look terrible IMHO. I like factory toppers though. I cringe when I see people with toppers that look like they were made by a third grader on top of their 8k dollar machine.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

This is the only type of Topper I would want on any of my games. The rest need not apply~

boki.jpg 28 KB

Mmmmmmm, I like that...... pussy on top of the head. Yeah, that's nice.

QSS

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Nope, I agree. The only game that NEEDS a topper is Whirlwind.

Oh wait, I deserved those thumbs downs. I forgot a bunch of games with great toppers - WH2O, DW, LCA, Strange Science, probably others.

#25 7 years ago

Sorry it's kinda dumb to miss one of the best multiballs ever.

#26 7 years ago

I'm pretty indifferent to toppers. Some games need them....most don't. Now a cool matching key chain....that I need.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm pretty indifferent to toppers. Some games need them....most don't.

I'm in total agreement. I could have probably even lived without the eagle topper on Judge Dredd, but it needed something to fill those cutouts on the front of the back box.

#28 7 years ago

I just got a bone busters part of the reason was the topper.

#29 7 years ago

I didn't have one on mine for a few years due to low ceiling height. Finally found a broken one (no way I could have done it to a perfectly good one) and melted it down to fit. Got to love the lightening flashes! Of course adding my Cloud Topper Light really brings it to life.

TAF2.JPG

#30 7 years ago

Fire! absolutely needs a topper as well, wonder where all the missing ones ended up...

#31 7 years ago

You know what? I've had a change of heart. If the game originally came with a topper I would leave it on because it's usually coded into the game, even if I think they don't look that good. But the aftermarket toppers, never.

#32 7 years ago

Well, that, and the fact that the TAF topper is actually supposed to be the top and roof of the Addams' house....

#33 7 years ago

Due to my ceiling height in the basement I had to remove the toppers from my games (Dr. Who and TAF). I'm totally fine with it but if I had the height I'd have left them on. I was never a fan of aftermarket toppers, although that Stern fishtank one for TWD sure looks neat.

1 week later
#34 7 years ago

FWID - my TAF is in my basement as well and the topper has been off for 20 years (stored, however). The lights on the top illuminate the white ceiling so the effects are almost as good. Seeing how its been off so long the majority of the players (my relatives and grandchildren) don't even know there is supposed to be one. I understand the purists, but its still very much fun with its visuals and sound anyway.

#35 7 years ago

I hate the black cloud topper gene did cause he was too cheap to have the clear done... I rather no topper then the black dome he ran

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from bobmct:

FWID - my TAF is in my basement as well and the topper has been off for 20 years (stored, however). The lights on the top illuminate the white ceiling so the effects are almost as good.

Same here. The lights flash off the white ceiling and gives a cool lightning flash look.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakewood, CA
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
North Mankato, MN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!