Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

472008.jpg
zdjecie_4.jpg
zdjecie_2.jpg
zdjecie_1.jpg
zdjecie_3.jpg
zdjecie_2.jpg
zdjecie_1.jpg
11678817466_9d609c5d3d_b.jpg
11677995295_7dd420beff_b.jpg
11-3-2015_9-58-04_AM.png

#1 4 years ago

The START button does not work and switches wht - ...
what could be the cause of the fault ??
I checked the CPU Board in another machine and it is the same problem

#2 4 years ago

As with anything like this. Did it suddenly happen or did you do something? Were you working on the machine and possibly shorted something?

Not enough information to really help here. Get specific about what you are trying and what the results are.

When you say switches do you mean the playfield switches or the service buttons? Is it all of the switches or just some? If you were adjusting something and possible shorted a switch to a coil you probably blew out some chips on the CPU. If half of the switches probably one of the two LM339 chips. If everything out maybe the ULM2803. You might want to send the board out.

More information please.

#3 4 years ago

Battery corrosion on WPC board?

#4 4 years ago

The service buttons are not part of the game's switch matrix. I would back track and see what it was you were working on last and this happens a lot when people swap in LEDs with the game on and short something by accident using their screw driver or dropping a screw. Battery corrosion could cause this and the ULN2803 and LM339 chips are directly below the batteries on the MPU as shown here.

11677995295_7dd420beff_b.jpg

If you don't notice any corrosion then check the common switches in the first column or third row I highlighted here.

11-3-2015 9-58-04 AM.png

Hopefully the other switches that don't work all fall in either the same column or row and not scattered all over the matrix. If that is the case I would check the common wire under the playfield to see if maybe there is a break somewhere along the chain. If you have switches out in the same column check the green/brown wire or in the same row check the white/orange wire.

The next thing you could also try is re-seating connectors J206 and J208 on the MPU as well. I had switch issues on my TAF before and turned out I just needed to redo my J208 connector as seen in the picture here.

11678817466_9d609c5d3d_b.jpg

Also if it ended up being ULN2803 or LM339 related I would get these socketed so in the future you can just pop in a new chip and you don't have to stress these traces again in the future.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Battery corrosion on WPC board?

No,

Quoted from mwong168:

Hopefully the other switches that don't work all fall in either the same column or row and not scattered all over the matrix. If that is the case I would check the common wire under the playfield to see if maybe there is a break somewhere along the chain. If you have switches out in the same column check the green/brown wire or in the same row check the white/orange wire......

Wires are OK, I put the PCB to T2 and the same thing.

Quoted from Taxman:

.....Is it all of the switches or just some? If you were adjusting something and possible shorted a switch to a coil you probably blew out some chips on the CPU. If half of the switches probably one of the two LM339 chips. If everything out maybe the ULM2803....

So it is possible, I checked thoroughly under playfield and one wire in a circle bumber made short
I replaced the chip U18 and nothing

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from fly:

The START button does not work and switches wht - ...

Are you saying that nothing in row 3 works?

Do you have a logic probe?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Are you saying that nothing in row 3 works?

yes,

Quoted from terryb:

Do you have a logic probe?

No,

#8 4 years ago

If the problem moved with the board it could be a broken trace from J208-3. Do a continuity check.

#9 4 years ago

I check and let you know

#10 4 years ago

only wht - ...

zdjecie_1.jpg

zdjecie_2.jpg

#11 4 years ago

Ok just throwing this out there. I have a Addams family that did the same thing. don't know if this will help you but worth a look. When you left the playfield up on the back side on it there are a bunch of ground soldered wires. They are ground rows near the trough. Kinda by the launch kick out. some people when lifting it up, touch the wires together causing a short. something is touching something. keep your eyes peeled for something stupid. just a suggestion.

#12 4 years ago

But he said this CPU did the same thing in another machine.

#13 4 years ago

Your CPU is blown, lift your playfield and open up the toys on top if necessary and look at any switches in that column that's gone. Check for switch wires that are touching or almost touching ground or lamp circuits find the short before you put a new CPU/ switch matrix driver chips in your game.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Your CPU is blown, lift your playfield and open up the toys on top if necessary and look at any switches in that column that's gone. Check for switch wires that are touching or almost touching ground or lamp circuits find the short before you put a new CPU/ switch matrix driver chips in your game.

CPU U20, ULN2803A ???

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

The CPU's not blown, it wouldn't display any error messages if it was! It's booting so if you find the short chances are it will start working!

#16 4 years ago

He's already said the cpu has the same problem in another game. He also stated that he found the short.

If U18 didn't fix the problem either a trace or pad got damaged during replacement or U20 is bad. Personally I would get a logic probe and troubleshoot the issue rather than just swapping stuff.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

The CPU's not blown, it wouldn't display any error messages if it was! It's booting so if you find the short chances are it will start working!

I should'nt have used the word "blown" my appologies. Cpu is "bad" "no good" reflow your header pins, if that doesnt work your switch matrix chips are f'ed check your matrix chart to see which ones drive the matrix. But go over your game first to check for possible shorts

#18 4 years ago

Homebrood he swapped the cpu in another game and got the same messeges, just finding the short wont resolve.

#19 4 years ago

It is the new U20, and the START button works, but do not work switches wht -..., grn-vio

#20 4 years ago

So you replaced U20 and now the start button works, but none of the other switches in row 3 works?

Either a broken wire in the row 3 daisy-chain or a high-resistance connection at the connector or one of the board joints.

The only reason I mention the latter is I'm suspicious about U20 failing and a break in the daisy-chain happening at the same time.

Start checking continuity from the other switches in row 3 to the board.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

So you replaced U20 and now the start button works, but none of the other switches in row 3 works?

Yes

Quoted from terryb:

Either a broken wire in the row 3 daisy-chain or a high-resistance connection at the connector or one of the board joints...

I checked the wires are OK

#22 4 years ago

Can you provide a high resolution photo of both side of the circuit board (U18 and U20).

#23 4 years ago

zdjecie_3.jpg

zdjecie_1.jpg

zdjecie_2.jpg

zdjecie_4.jpg

#24 4 years ago

You've got a bunch of cold solder joints (I did not mark them all) that are likely causing the problem.

Suggested reading:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1

472008.jpg

#25 4 years ago

I corrected and still does not work

#26 4 years ago

You could have easily lost a trace or damaged a through-hole. You need to either check across board and through board connectivity on all of the work you did or get a logic probe and troubleshoot the circuit.

Can you post photos again. On the photos of the component side get a photo of each side of the chip at about 45 degrees so I can see the solder joint.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 38.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside