Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jgoode
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi. I have an Addams Family Gold Pinball machine with some issues. I'm fairly new to fixing pinball, so please pardon my lack of expertise.

The original problem was the machine was indicating to check F114 and check F115 (a common issue from what I found out). I did properly test, diagnose and fix this issue (the connection from the 7812 to C2 was broken somehow, so replaced C2 and hardwired a new connection between the 7812 and C2). Unfortunately, during my diagnosing of the problem I made a rookie mistake when checking voltages on various boards and created a temporary short on the flipper board (which might or might not have caused the issue below).

So, with the F114 and F115 fixed, TAF now as the following problems:
* the main flippers won't work, but the flippers on the playfield do work (I'm guessing this is because of something caused by me creating a short condition during troubleshooting)
* I'm getting the following switch errors
- Bookcase Opto 1 -4
- Thing Opto Up (switch 85 I think)

I've checked all fuses and all fuses are ok. I thought fixing the WPC was hard but I don't even know where to start on this one!

Help

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Jgoode:

but I don't even know where to start on this one!

LM339's on the fliptronics board ?

Still have 12 volts on the voltage test point on the driver board ?

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Yes, I checked all voltages on WPC and they seem ok. All lights on WPC are lit appropriately per the manual.

#4 1 year ago

Don't panic! You've already fixed something pretty hard to fix!

It seems that you might have a couple of different problems.

The flipper might be as simple as: two blown fuses on the fliptronics board. I don't think so, but it never hurts to lift one edge of the fuse and test it with a meter. Fuses are tricky! You can never tell if a fuse is good by looking at it, and you occasionally have troubles testing it with a meter if you don't lift one end out of the fuse holder.

Go into diagonostics-switch edges, and when you press on the flipper button slowly, the right flipper button should activate, then as you push in further the UR flipper button, and immediately the UR flipper End of Stroke. Same thing on the left side.

If your flipper cabinet switches aren't registering, it is likely to be the 339 chips on the fliptronics board, but it could be that the optical flipper button switches aren't getting +12v power.

The other optos - on your 7-opto switch assembly board under the playfield, the LED should be lit.

When you go into diagnostics - single switch and use the + and - buttons to move over to switch 53, there should be little boxes around 53 (Bookcase Opto 1) through 56 (Bookcase Opto 4), and very importantly 57 (Bumper Lane Opto).

If Bumper Lane Opto has a nice little box around it, that tells us something, so check that, and get back to us!

Also, if Thing's hand is down, there should be NOT be a box on 84 (Thing down opto), but there should be a box around 85 (Thing up opto).

If all seven of the seven-optos run by this board are all out... well usually the game complains and tells us to check F114 and F115! The seven optos it runs are Bookcase 1-4, Bumper Lane Opto, Thing Up Opto, and Thing Down Opto.

Finally, check on the lower left corner of the Power Driver board, all four plugs should be plugged in (J116, J117, J118, and J119).

Let us know what you find!

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

The flipper might be as simple as: two blown fuses on the fliptronics board.

I don't think so, but it never hurts to lift one edge of the fuse and test it with a meter. Fuses are tricky! You can never tell if a fuse is good by looking at it, and you occasionally have troubles testing it with a meter if you don't lift one end out of the fuse holder.

I checked the fuses (on the WPC board...that is where they are for the flippers), and all ok

Go into diagonostics-switch edges, and when you press on the flipper button slowly, the right flipper button should activate, then as you push in further the UR flipper button, and immediately the UR flipper End of Stroke. Same thing on the left side.
If your flipper cabinet switches aren't registering, it is likely to be the 339 chips on the fliptronics board, but it could be that the optical flipper button switches aren't getting +12v power.

The flipper switches are registering ok (although the UL flipper end of stroke doesn't always register, even though both the UR and UL flippers work fine)

The other optos - on your 7-opto switch assembly board under the playfield, the LED should be lit.

Yep, the LED is lit

When you go into diagnostics - single switch and use the + and - buttons to move over to switch 53, there should be little boxes around 53 (Bookcase Opto 1) through 56 (Bookcase Opto 4), and very importantly 57 (Bumper Lane Opto).
If Bumper Lane Opto has a nice little box around it, that tells us something, so check that, and get back to us!

When I go to Diagnostics, single switch, the following switches are CLOSED
82,85 (thing is up, bookcase is open)

Also, if Thing's hand is down, there should be NOT be a box on 84 (Thing down opto), but there should be a box around 85 (Thing up opto).

Thing hand is up and there is a box around 85

If all seven of the seven-optos run by this board are all out... well usually the game complains and tells us to check F114 and F115! The seven optos it runs are Bookcase 1-4, Bumper Lane Opto, Thing Up Opto, and Thing Down Opto.
Finally, check on the lower left corner of the Power Driver board, all four plugs should be plugged in (J116, J117, J118, and J119).
Let us know what you find!

Yes, all four plugs are plugged in

Other ideas?

#6 1 year ago

btw...I also tested the bookcase switches and they register when I hit them. And tested bookcase and thing functionality via the tests and they also work.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Jgoode:

The flipper switches are registering ok

If you have any flipper switches registering in test, but not flipping flippers in game play, the problem is on your fliptronics board.

#8 1 year ago

Thank you! So is there any way to test the fliptronics board?

And I assume my problems with the bookcase opto 1 - 4 are a completely separate issue?

#9 1 year ago

Funny thing about diagnostics, the opto could register in test just fine, but it doesn't reset the in-game I've-activated-so-i'm-working counter!

So if you start a game and can activate those switches while playing, the boot up screen will stop complaining about them.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Jgoode:

So is there any way to test the fliptronics board?

With the right stuff and know how, probably.

Quoted from Jgoode:

And I assume my problems with the bookcase opto 1 - 4 are a completely separate issue?

Sounds like it.

#11 1 year ago

I created a different topic on this, but does anyone have a picture of the WPC board (12697-1) on The Addams Family Gold, that shows all of the connections to that board? I recently removed the board to fix it and did label everything, but didn't note which connectors were empty so I'm concerned I put some back in the wrong place (i.e. mislabeled). PI just am trying to rule out that I might have put connections back incorrectly.

Basically, I show the following connections are empty on my board once everything is connected:

J104
J128
J129
J131
J123
J124

I'd love to also get something that says what each of these connections is for if that exists as well!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Jgoode:

Basically, I show the following connections are empty on my board once everything is connected:

J104
J128
J129
J131
J123
J124

I'd love to also get something that says what each of these connections is for if that exists as well!

https://www.ipdb.org/files/20/Bally_1992_The_Addams_Family_Operations_Manual_January_1992_includes_schematics_OCR_searchable.pdf

Back of the manual has all the info you need.

#13 1 year ago

so....after a good nights sleep after a day of frustration...

I unpugged the WPC board again, replugged everything, replugged the flipper board, etc., everything worked! So it appears that my only problem was the original F114 / F115 fuse issue (which I did have to fix on the board).

Thank you LTG and PinRetail for your help! My machine is as good as new now!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 159.00
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-addams-family-pinball-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.