Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by starbase
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I came into this having played TAF only a handful of times before having it at my house for a month straight. So I wasn't very familiar with it at all - and frankly my previous (and very recent) experience with it on location didn't go that well (due to to extremely strong kick outs and the dreaded lack of ball save). Before this, I put in about 500 games on my first pin, High Speed. Until six months ago, I had only played a few dozen (or hundred) games of pinball in my life.

Although much of this is just me describing the journey, there are some questions I have for you all sprinkled throughout.

Discovering the rules

It's been fun learning the rules and modes as I go. I'm not one to look up rules and tips online, and usually don't read the instruction card either. It took me a long time to figure out what Graveyard at Max meant. I also didn't understand/notice the Graveyard Value Held thing for quite a while. And shamefully, it was about 300 games in that I realized that 3mil and 6mil light each other.

Getting to Greed

At first I tried to do this intentionally, but later moved to focusing on lighting the different Mansion modes - and only doing Greed as a side effect. I like how you can choose to go right for locking balls once lit, or to ignore it. At least, until you have locked 2 balls and enabled The Power - which I now try to avoid as much as possible with a half plunge into the swamp.

Evolving Jackpot Strategies

I used to be very focused on hitting the jackpot shots during Greed Multiball, but now I try and build up the jackpot, knowing that it's easy to hit (direct off a skill shot) on the second chance Thing multi-ball, which feels much less frantic than Greed.

Optimizing Shots

At first I would immediately try to make a shot as soon as it was lit. Eventually I started stacking shots (like wait to hit The Thing shot until both quick multi ball and extra ball were lit). Then, I started putting that shot off, figuring I could just hit it with a skill shot on my next plunge. Now, I'm trying to set up combos between modes like locking balls into Greed during Raise the Dead so I can plunge straight into the bumpers.

Unexpected Moments

Dirty Pool

I heard this once, but not in the way it is commonly described on the internet. I believe I was in Quick Multiball, and hit the Thing ramp just as the Vault was closing up to end the mode. Has this happened to anyone?

Incorrectly awarded Double Jackpot

During Greed MultiBall, I hit two balls up the Bear Kick ramp at nearly the same time. The first came down the habitrail to the right flipper but the second ball was diverted down the left side, and I was awarded a double jackpot. Should that have happened?

Multiball during Seance

Happened to me tonight for the first time and I was surprised. I guess it makes sense, the previous mode is still going when you start multi-ball, but I think because Seance activates The Power, I just assumed they couldn't overlap. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that knocking sound during multi-ball. And since Seance is can be such a drainer, I suppose it's optimal to combine it with Greed multi-ball.

Tech(ish) Stuff

Waxing the playfield

The ball started doing some crazy things after waxing. Lots of crazy spin while trying to control on the flippers - but the game is fast & fun! I even waxed the ramps. For the first few dozen games after waxing, hard hit balls would come around the corner so fast they would often fly off the habitrail. Usually they would land in the swamp, but twice I had them land directly in the right outlane?!? Would not recommend waxing the ramps.

Thing

My thing hand has always been noisy. After 200 or so games, it stopped working. I was able to take it apart, and realign the cranks (or whatever you call the two arms outside the assembly that join the motor and the rod that the hand is connected to). Basically it meant just loosening the set screw on the rectangular piece attached to the motor, making that piece parallel to the assembly again, and then tightening it.

Is there a long term fix for that? Would a new screw help? Or is it more likely that the pieces are worn and just won't stay put? It quit working after another 200 plays as well. Same thing fixed it.

Red Ramp

When a ball enters the gate at the bottom of the ramp, it makes a click and then you can hear a buzzing on the left hand side of the cabinet, under the play field. Sometimes if feels like this is Thing Flips getting queued up, but that shouldn't be happening when hitting the red ramp. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks for reading my tale of Pinball Discovery and Exploration, as told by a newbie.

#2 10 years ago

#3 10 years ago

Good read. I've played it when it came out and didn't "get" the game back in the day. Fast forward to last April playing it at PAPA and finally "got" it. Now having one of my own I'm learning about it too. I've had dirty pool said too but don't know what I did to make it happen lol!

#4 10 years ago

Welcome to the TAF owners club! It's a great game isn't it, think it will be hard for me to ever sell mine.

You get "dirty pool old man" when you get the the ball in the vault with the bookcase closed. My machine also buzzes when you hit the red ramp, it's the coil that temporarily holds open the divertor to take the ball to the upper left flipper.

#5 10 years ago

Single greatest creation of mankind.

BTW - never wax ramps. I don't ever wax DP PF's either, just novus 2 and buff. Balls still fly off stuff for the first ten games or so.

#6 10 years ago

To quote Gomez, "Welcome back!"

#7 10 years ago

I get a loud slap when activating deverter on left ramp, hope this is normal

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Maddog:

Mine does too as the diverter hits the cabinet. I was going to adjust it but not sure how much it would help and talked to some other collectors who've told me they have the same.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Single greatest creation of mankind.
BTW - never wax ramps. I don't ever wax DP PF's either, just novus 2 and buff. Balls still fly off stuff for the first ten games or so.

I agree, so much better than TSPP!! haha sorry couldn't resist.

TAF is one of the greatest pins ever made, and I will own it again someday...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Maddog:

Yep normal, mine did the same...

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I agree, so much better than TSPP!! haha sorry couldn't resist.
TAF is one of the greatest pins ever made, and I will own it again someday...

And ten times better than that cheating nudgefest Tron!

(this is an inside joke with Tom and I, please no one start arguing with us )

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Maddog:

Get some of that black dense dampening foam, put a piece in where the diverter comes back.

I placed this dampening stuff on the bottom of the thing box as well, so I wouldn't hear the ball drop and roll in there – ha! amazing you could still hear this, as the volume on my machines is ridiculous, anyone that has been to my place can confirm.

#13 10 years ago

Just an error in the code. I get it sometimes, too. True "Dirty Pool" is when you drop a ball into the vault when it's closed, in effect bypassing spelling greed to start the lock sequence.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Multiball during Seance

This is called "stacking modes". Next thing for you to try is to stack Hit Cousin It and Mamushka with Greed Mulitball. That gets you some crazy points!

As other have stated, that's just the sound of the ramp diverter moving out of the way, hitting the inside of the cab in the process.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Incorrectly awarded Double Jackpot

I had the same experience last night when i sent two balls up the bear kick ramp one right behind the other. It automatically gave me the double jackpot.

The night before last I actually hit a triple jackpot twice for 75m each but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how
i managed to do it.

Triple and Four way combo

I hit this for the first time last night. Made a great sound I have recognized from funhouse and tz.

My final score was 949Million. Certainly the highest I have ever achieved. Great game.

#15 10 years ago

The *two balls up the bear kick ramp double jackpot thing* is shown in the Pinball 101 DVD.

#16 10 years ago

This is the first game I ever sold for all the wrong reasons and want back. Some of the funnest shots in pinball and maybe the best sound and use of a knocker ever. Man I was stupid, thankfully it's local so I can still play it and remind myself never to sell a game you love.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-addams-family-newbie-thoughts-questions-after-400-plays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.