New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 257656)

THE ADDAMS FAMILY GOLD - Release question

By Coindork

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by dsuperbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
20191203_191822 (resized).jpg

#1 10 months ago

Over in the Rick and Morty thread people are talking about huge sales day that Spooky had.
A few people commented asking if it was the quickest a pin has sold out in the history of pinball.

One of the responses was no, and that The Addams Family Gold edition sold 1000 units in a single day.
Is that true? As an owner of an Addams Family Gold I had never heard that.

The story I had always heard is that the machine didn't sell well because it was priced higher than a normal edition and very few were selling to collectors.
I was under the understanding that when Bally had a hard time selling them, many of them got sold to operators back in the day for the same price as a standard and then wound up getting put on route. A lot of gold editions come routed, so that kind of makes sense.

This is before my time as a collector as I was just out of high school.
Any clarification from some of the ops that were around back then?

#2 10 months ago

No. TAFG was not sold out within a single day.

My distributor (at the time, Greater Southern) was pushing my to buy a TAFG for one of my locations for .. hell, months, if not years.

#3 10 months ago

Most of the TAFG machines went to Europe. Probably less than half were here in the states.

I know there was some confusion between TAFG and the Addams family values redemption game being made at the time.

A friend of mine order a new TAFG and got the Addams family values by mistake. The distributor did fix the mistake.

I would be surprised if they sold out in 1 day. It was the highest production game made, that being the standard TAF

#4 10 months ago

It is very possible that they sold 1k in a day... Distributors likely gobbled them up. Which is why so many distributors had so many for sale, months later.

#5 10 months ago

Over 800 were shipped to europe. Number 1, and 900-1000 were domestic, the rest were exported.

#6 10 months ago

My dad bought a Addams Family NIB
$3600 and had to buy a Popeye to get the Gold. There were numerous vendors who wanted the game , CA ROBINSON
Didn’t want to deal with that. Unfortunately he decided to sell the game after a couple yrs.Crazy thing is guys were putting them on route.but back then buying games for the home new was quite rare.

The Addams Family Gold I have now was
Built for export but never made the trip,
A guy bought it, covered it and never played it, it’s in my collection with probably a couple hundred plays. It’s cool with 3 coin slots, black plastic coin box
And different manual .

#7 10 months ago

Mine is #949, 1 owner since new. One of the few domestics.

20191203_191822 (resized).jpg
#8 10 months ago

Number 553 and near flawless
I did ad color dmd and led the game

image (resized).jpg
#9 10 months ago

I never heard of 900 games going over seas ?

#10 10 months ago
Quoted from Coindork:

The story I had always heard is that the machine didn't sell well because it was priced higher than a normal edition and very few were selling to collectors.
I was under the understanding that when Bally had a hard time selling them, many of them got sold to operators back in the day for the same price as a standard and then wound up getting put on route. A lot of gold editions come routed, so that kind of makes sense

The collector market barely existed back then. So,yeah, very few games period were sold to collectors.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside