20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk1mod0.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

394 posts in this topic match your search for posts by mk1mod0. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Yup - certifiable nuts. After many fits and false starts, this project is fully funded and off the ground. I have a master carpenter to help with the fine fitting and cuts and a high learning curve for everything else. The idea is to do a 100% acrylic case, back box and playfield. I have all the materials for everything but the back box. That will come later depending on how the rest of it goes. The "donor machine" is a Sonic Super Straight. I picked it up for a song as an easy project. It's 100% working (or rather it was before I disassembled it!) and a pretty fun game. The casing is made of particle board that got wet at some point and has disintegrated. I've already done box repair and large stencil painting so I thought I would challenge myself to do something different. Having been inspired by a shoddy case and a clear acrylic PC case kit I built for the wife some time back, I set off on solving all the details of a project of this magnitude. (IE - you can't staple braided ground wire and light sockets to acrylic.) I also did a quick search and found that the Pacific Pinball Museum has done 3 of these. So knowing it can be done, I got busy...

IMG_5726.JPGIMG_5726.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Laying out all of the pieces on a sheet of 3/4" acrylic. Going with all the same dimensions as the original wood casing to avoid modifications for coin door, flipper buttons, etc if the thickness were different. The various parts will be rough cut here to make it easier to move around. Then they'll be taken to work where we have an oversized table saw with a 14" industrial MTCG blade for the final sizing and corner beveling. Then they'll come back home where my carpenter has built me a jig for laying the pieces into a perfect 90 degrees for "welding" the corners. It all goes well that'll happen in about two weeks. First I have to add all the little bits and pieces to make the case the same. Graphics will be (hopefully) etched into the sides for a different look.

IMG_5728.JPGIMG_5728.JPG IMG_5735.JPGIMG_5735.JPG
#4 10 years ago

Took a lot longer than I thought. The cutting was very slow going and I had to give my poor 25 year old B&D sabre saw breaks so as not to overheat it. I sourced plastic cutting blades from TAPPlastics.com that didn't work worth a hoot. Did much better with a Porter-Cable down cut laminate blade. It made nice smooth cuts with no melt and refill. Just had to go slow so as not to make the saw jump out of the slot.

IMG_5731.JPGIMG_5731.JPG
#7 10 years ago

Early experiments in mounting play field pieces. 1) A few screws together and close to the edge with no cracking. 2) Cutting a switch slot. 3) Drilling insert holes with a spade bit. Success.

IMG_5713.JPGIMG_5713.JPG IMG_5707.JPGIMG_5707.JPG IMG_5708.JPGIMG_5708.JPG
#10 10 years ago

Also found I could solder the lights up while already mounted to the play field piece without marring the plastic. That will help a lot. Tried using clear silicone to secure lights normally held down by staples. Worked very well but looked like ass. Will look into other options.

IMG_5710.JPGIMG_5710.JPG IMG_5711.JPGIMG_5711.JPG
#11 10 years ago
Quoted from magnoliarichj:

this should not be that hard people build aquariums that hold water with this stuff... you have no water to worry about....

True, but I am adding 75 pounds to an already heavy machine that will be supported by 8 bolts.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

find someone with a laser cutter. it will help out nice. plus you could engrave the sides with art as if it was a stencil.

I wish! LOL

Quoted from loppydog:

Yeah our laser at work cuts this stuff nicely! The biggest problem you may have with a laser is the cabinet size. Our table size is only 32"x18".....not big enough for most of his prices I would assume.

True. Side pieces are 53"X20".

Quoted from moto_cat:

I believe pacific pinball museum built 3, 2 em's & 1 solid state

Yup. (Stated in my first post.) I'll never get to see them and I think they are way cool. I thought others might enjoy seeing one as well so here I go.

#15 10 years ago

1) To me, the making is the fun part. Even if I could afford to get everything cut/assembled/etc I wouldn't. Just having it is not the point.
2) I was having a couple of local plastics fab shops working me up an estimate just for fun when I found out what the materials cost was. Eek. Besides, having never made a pin case before I doubt they would get it right the first time.
3) This is the next step. Having done successful pinball cabinet repair/rebuilding and machinery repair, I am moving on to duplicating an existing machine. After this is a re-theme or a custom one off.
4) It's fun!

#16 10 years ago

This is how I'm doing the plastics and the playfield as well. This was done using a clear waterslide decal and the results aren't too impressive when held up to the light. I thought about doubling it for better results. I'm going to opt for stenciling and painting with black paint. The plastics will be image reversed and painted on the bottom side. The play field will be painted on top and then either clear coated or mylared.

IMG_5609.JPGIMG_5609.JPG IMG_5628.JPGIMG_5628.JPG
#17 10 years ago

Stencils cut with the Silhouette Cameo.

#20 10 years ago

Taking any and all advice and thanks for the tips. I know the sabre saw cut better the longer I used it so it makes sense that the same would apply for drill bits. I did get some bits made for drilling plastic but I'll reserve judgement after my experience with the sabre saw "plastic cutting blade." I have attempted "flame polishing" on some of my practice pieces. I do NOT have the touch! Will take a lot more practice to get that down... I am experimenting with regular bits, plastic bits, spade bits, hole saws and flush-cut router bits. We'll see who wins. I have had my first crack incident. Fortunately it went where nothing was affected. Could have been disastrous. Still worried about all that weight on 8 bolts.

#25 10 years ago

Okay, screw the paint. In another test, I wanted to see how sandblasting the plastic would look for doing the side art work. I must say, it is quite awesome. The picture does it no justice. But when side lit by color leds, I believe it will be pretty cool. Will do this for the plastics as well and possibly the playfield.

IMG_5743.JPGIMG_5743.JPG
#26 10 years ago

Sooooo, I'm thinking that leds will work for the lighting in an old EM? You have no need to fool a transistor into staying latched so wouldn't they just work? Or would I still need a resistor to keep from blowing them out?

#28 10 years ago

Must. Have.

PPS-515-5133-06-01TL.jpgPPS-515-5133-06-01TL.jpg
#30 10 years ago

Huge day yesterday. Final cut all the lower cab parts including 45s, bottom piece slots and the top slots for whatever you call the plastic doohickie that holds the glass in place. (Glass guides?) Anyways, lots of fun was had, a few curse words were exchanged and all evidence was properly disposed of before the boss returned late in the day. It's about to get real up in here.

IMG_5747.JPGIMG_5747.JPG IMG_5748.JPGIMG_5748.JPG
#35 10 years ago

My carpenter buddy came up with this here jig to hold two pieces of the body at a good 90 with the joint down for gravity. I can get the sections aligned and clamped into place before completing the bonding process. Now all I have to do is practice a whole bunch 'til I'm good at it...

IMG_5751.JPGIMG_5751.JPG IMG_5752.JPGIMG_5752.JPG IMG_5759.JPGIMG_5759.JPG
#36 10 years ago

Practice... practice... practice...

IMG_5760.JPGIMG_5760.JPG IMG_5761.JPGIMG_5761.JPG
#38 10 years ago

Well, the topper's almost ready! LOL Just add some LED lighting and it'll be sweet. Actually this is my first attempt to do a corner melding. Many, many more practices to come. Also, my portable, home made sand blasting box seems to work just fine.

IMG_5800.JPGIMG_5800.JPG
#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Are u using acrylic solvent to bond the corners

Using this stuff. Pretty awesome so far.

IMG_5821.JPGIMG_5821.JPG
#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I WANT ONE !! To whom and where do I send in my deposit too?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

Umm, lemme see if I can finish the proto first, then we'll talk. LOL

#51 10 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

One suggestion before gluing, sand all your joining surfaces smooth. It looks like your edges are a little rough either from a CNC or table saw, your clue will not bond 100% if they are not smooth. I've made a lot of acrylic displays, shelves and misc. pieces and block sanding your edges is a must.

Table saw. It looked really good until it passed by the backside of the blade. Had access to a high end jointer which we did use for the flat edges but doing the 45s on them was difficult to do well. I will be block sanding them to make a much better joint.

Quoted from browne92:

If you have trouble with the areas around the glue joint turning white, or "clouding", use Weld-on 4 instead of 3. It's made to avoid that.

Same thing happens if you flame polish edges with a torch. The heat creates stresses in the acrylic which can be released by the solvent cement, or even changes in ambient temperature. The only way around this is to anneal the parts, which is a long process of heating the whole part to an even temperature, and gradually cooling. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_glass
Neat project. Best of luck.

I'm thinking the clouding/crazing is due to the high humidity we still have going on here. If it doesn't get any better with later tests I'll be switching. Also, no flame polishing for me.

Quoted from KingNine:

This is beyond cool. I'll bet after you get it done you'll find keeping it clean is the hardest part lol. That was always the problem with me see through computer case.

My wife has a clear acrylic computer case I built for her from a kit. Part of the inspiration for this project. I agree... It's awesome when it is clean. When.

IMG_5292.JPGIMG_5292.JPG
#52 10 years ago

Didn't get a lot of playtime this weekend, but a few items were worked on. It's been quite awhile since I played with a router and longer since I worked plastic. I'm starting with the simplest and least visible pieces. Hopefully I'll get better as we go along. Item #1 is the bottom of the lower casing. It was previously sized and cut with the other major pieces so I'm down to the hole where the on/off switch goes and a couple of air slots that are located under the two cross pieces that support the bulk of the machinery for the game. Step one was to drill the switch hole with a hole saw bit. Step two was to make a starter hole where I traced out the opening. 1/2"

IMG_5826.JPGIMG_5826.JPG
#53 10 years ago

Next, clamp a guide piece to run the router against and carefully run the length of the marked area.

IMG_5830.JPGIMG_5830.JPG
#54 10 years ago

And....voila! Or tada if you prefer. Now, to add supports, the switch mount piece, etc, etc, etc...

IMG_5832.JPGIMG_5832.JPG
#59 10 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I have a clear Surf Champ playfield and backbox insert, which Mike kindly supplied me for doing a similar project. Acrylic is not the material they used, i believe they went with Lexan. Acrylic cracks very easily. Mike tried a lot of different materials for the playfield too, finding certain thing held screws better. The conclusion was again Lexan worked best for holding screws, and not cracking when a post is hit by the ball. You may want to talk to Mike at the PPM so you're not making expensive material cost mistakes.

Wrote to the PPM several times when I first considered doing this and never heard back from them. Lexan was my first choice, having worked with it to make boat windscreens and such in the Navy but it is quite cost prohibitive. The acrylic I have is heat press formed vice extruded and will hopefully hold up to the abuse.

Quoted from RWH:

I've not attempted anything near the scale you are taking on but, have you tried using a Rotozip laminate bit in your router setup???? I have used them in the past to cut acrylic for cabinet work in kitchens and they were fantastic!

Regular bits seem to do just fine in the router. I did go with a laminate bit in the jigsaw. It out cut everything else.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Are you building a completed plan, or are you winging it as you go? I'd imagine that it would be tough to add pieces later on in the build.
But this is a great project. I'm following

It's an existing machine. (Super Straight by Sonic) I'm merely replicating all of the support in clear plastic.

Quoted from cfh:

You may want to talk to Wade Krause about the Lexan versus Acrylic issue. He's the one that actually made and cut the clear playfields and cabinets for Mike at the PPM. He's probably easier to get a hold of too. But i really think you need to use Lexan for this. Acrylic is just way too brittle. If you're having trouble cutting it, using it in a pinball machine may be worse case. Lexan is more money but if you do all this work and it breaks, that would cost more than using Lexan!

The piece I purchased for the playfield is "Acrystar" which is a cast acrylic polymer based on methyl methacrylate. The testing I have done is promising, but does not replicate a steel ball traveling at whatever speed a 70's era Williams flipper can fling it at. I've priced like sized lexan and it is doable. Meanwhile, the material I have is very easy to work with and quite flexible. I tried to overstress and crack it but that still doesn't tell me if it'll take shock loads.

Quoted from cfh:

I will be using the Surf Champ clear playfield and backglass. But I'm going lower cost for mine and using the original cabinet. I'll cut out the sides though and put clear insert panels so you can see into it. this is much lower cost and a good first step in the process. i like to walk before i run. i'm sure there's a huge learning curve on all this, and probably a ton i haven't even considered.

I considered that route. I also looked into doing a S/S frame (I'm a welder) to support all the structure and covering it with a thin, cheap plexi but in the end I decided whole hog is the way to go. Nothing really new here, just different material and different glues.

Quoted from browne92:

The paper on the sheet says "polycarbonate". That is Lexan.

Yup. Lexan is a brand name, like Kleenex. That particular piece was a freebie given by a friend that was sadly too thin for the playfield so it went to the bottom piece and will be in a few other places as well.

#66 10 years ago

Replicating the on/off switch mount. Hole saw for the large circle then routed out to the proper depth. Regular bit for the remainder. Some edge polishing next.

IMG_5849.JPGIMG_5849.JPG IMG_5850.JPGIMG_5850.JPG IMG_5851.JPGIMG_5851.JPG
#67 10 years ago

OK. Deep breath, and lets start on the coin door piece. First, we'll drill some pilot holes for the door and the plunger.

IMG_5853.JPGIMG_5853.JPG IMG_5855.JPGIMG_5855.JPG
#69 10 years ago

Next, we'll jigsaw out the major portion where the coin door goes.

IMG_5857.JPGIMG_5857.JPG IMG_5858.JPGIMG_5858.JPG
#70 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Thanks for all the photos. Really fun to see the progress. Where do you buy your acrylic sheets? Must cost a fortune?
This may have already been addressed "if so oops", do you have plans to do LED lighting inside the cabinet?

I am acquiring the acrylic locally as shipping makes getting it elsewhere too expensive. (It's freaking heavy!) Fortunately, I have a local vendor who has competitive pricing. The 3/4" sheet to make the case was just over $15 per square foot. My plan is to do the side graphics with sandblasting and light it up w/LEDs.

#72 10 years ago

Now, I'll mate the new with the old and take a 1/2" bearing router bit and clean out the remaining material. This is my "C-N-C"... cut an' copy. AKA lo-tech.

IMG_5859.JPGIMG_5859.JPG
#74 10 years ago

Last on this part is the hole for the credit button. Regular bit all the way through then a 1" spade bit to recess the button. Ready for graphics!

IMG_5861.JPGIMG_5861.JPG IMG_5863.JPGIMG_5863.JPG
#82 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Standard twist drills have a tendency to grab upon breaking through and crack/shatter the material. It might not be as much of a problem on thicker material. But there is a trick to grinding the drills so they don't grab. I bought a $4 set of Horrible Freight drills and ground them all just for use on acrylic. If you've found this to be a problem let me know and I'll get you a picture of the modified drill.

I purchased these in several sizes and so far I am reasonably impressed with their performance. Designed "for acrylic and polycarbonate materials." So far I have found that duller is better. The more I use the jigsaw blade the better and cleaner it cuts.

IMG_5872.JPGIMG_5872.JPG
#83 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Is there any room for using white nylon hardware in this project, maybe to secure lamps and such? You may have to thread the hole, but might look good in the clear. Of course they probably wouldn't be good in place of any structural screws/bolts.
Looking good. Best of luck in the project!

Trying to use as much original hardware as possible, but still wrestling with what to use where the GI lights were stapled to the back of the score mount and the underside of the playfield. Not sure exactly what you are refering to but I take all suggestions! Pictures are good too. I like pictures.

Quoted from vid1900:

How are you going to do the graphics?
Vinyl adhesive, sandblast, laser etch?

Sandblast like the little test topper earlier in the post. And while I have you on the phone... 1) What kind of glue would you recommend for the inserts? 2) I'm considering sandblasting the P/F design as well and then covering with mylar. Any thoughts on that?

Yer killin' me, Smalls!

#84 10 years ago

Another small piece completed, but good proof of concept for mounting and polishing. (No flames here - 220grit, 500grit, 1200grit, buffing wheel.)

IMG_5864.JPGIMG_5864.JPG IMG_5866.JPGIMG_5866.JPG IMG_5867.JPGIMG_5867.JPG
#91 10 years ago

Gotcha! Looks good but may be oversized for what I need. Great suggestion!

Quoted from GaryMartin:

Have you experimented with using Hot Glue or some type of clear adhesive that will attach to both the ground strap and the acryllic?

Yeah, there's a pic way back where I tried hot glue and clear silicone RTV. It was up to the task but looked like crap. My favorite solution at this time is to go with small S/S screws. Just a ton more drilling and screwing. The pieces for that will be the last produced so I have time yet to explore other options. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to know where to get really good ground braid for a really good price, I found it.

#92 10 years ago

Slow week in the progress department. Between work and honey-dos, not a lot got done. I managed to test fit the plunger and start button to the new piece. Like a glove. Next, I completely disassembled the coin door to make it as light as possible while fitting and drilling into the new piece. Boy, does it need cleaning. And 5 pesetas for a game? That must have been a long, long time ago!

IMG_5876.JPGIMG_5876.JPG IMG_5875.JPGIMG_5875.JPG IMG_5873.JPGIMG_5873.JPG
#97 10 years ago

Slowly but surely. Spent the week playing with my new LED strip lights from superbrightleds.com I was attempting to see how well it would light up the graphics that will be sandblasted into the sides. The results were less than encouraging. Did more research and found that depth of cut is key. Since I am merely sandblasting and not carving or gouging I thought that I would not be getting the depth required to cause the images to light up the way I had hoped. Eventually I remembered that one of my test pieces was done with aluminum oxide instead of the cheap playground sand I used elsewhere. I put the LEDs up to it without even polishing the side and BAM!! The graphic popped like a weasel with new springs. I also discovered that it is true that graphics reverse printed on the inside of the case will look much better than ones blasted onto the outside. (And, bonus, it will make it much easier to clean the machine.) Should get around to doing this to the coin door piece this weekend. The rest of the past week was eaten by work and new acquisitions. (2 Space Invaders. It's a disease. There is no cure.) Pics to follow...

#99 10 years ago

Ok, so here's my unscientific test results. (No LEDs were harmed in the making of this presentation.) Pic 1 is the topper test sidelit by the LEDs. As you can see, the sandblasted portions don't really carry the light at all. Pic 2 is a practice sample blasted with aluminum oxide, blasted side out. Pic 3 is what I'll be doing. Same piece, blasted side in. I think it looks the best of the three.

IMG_5948.JPGIMG_5948.JPG IMG_5946.JPGIMG_5946.JPG IMG_5947.JPGIMG_5947.JPG
#103 10 years ago

So here's the raw and cleaned up images of the coin door graphics. Once I reverse the image I'll cut it on the Cameo to get my stencil and prepare to apply it to the piece.

IMG_5848.JPGIMG_5848.JPG coindoorgood.jpgcoindoorgood.jpg
#110 10 years ago

Progress, slow but steady. Constructed my redneck engineering sandblast cabinet today. The ones locally available are not only too small, but not free. I hate not free. This one cost a large cardboard box that my new upright freezer came in, a roll of duct tape, a small piece of plastic and a few hours time. Tested this evening with sifted playground sand on the bar lockdown mechanism. Works. I'll load it up with the good stuff tomorrow. (Aluminum oxide.)

IMG_5950.JPGIMG_5950.JPG IMG_5952.JPGIMG_5952.JPG
#111 10 years ago

Cut the stencil tor the coin door piece today as well. Should get time to blast that tomorrow!

IMG_5955.JPGIMG_5955.JPG
#114 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How do you plan on doing the playfield plastics? Printing a reverse image on translucent adhesive and applying to the underside I heard is a great way.

If you look way back to the beginning, I tried to do decals with just black lines and hated the way it looked. After considering spray paint, I decided I would do the sandblasting for all graphics. (Case, plastics, P/F and B/G.)

Quoted from browne92:

Be careful with the play sand. Silicosis is nasty stuff.

Agreed. My setup is near airtight. I use a half face respirator and then let it settle before opening up and evacuating the chamber.

#115 10 years ago

OK, finally, some pay off. Took a 4-day weekend but I finally feel like I am actually getting somewhere. I swear it is all I can do to not rush this 'cause I only get one chance. So here's the coin door section with the mask applied on a makeshift stand I whipped up. Turns out the stand was too tall for my home baked sandblast cabinet and I ended up just propping the back with a 2X4. Anyways, I did the initial blast then pulled it for an inspection.

IMG_5958.JPGIMG_5958.JPG
#116 10 years ago

Here's the result. I identified a few places that were not blasted properly and marked them with a Sharpie. It makes it easier to see in the blast cabinet and I just hit it until the black is gone.

IMG_5961.JPGIMG_5961.JPG
#117 10 years ago

The results...

IMG_5963.JPGIMG_5963.JPG IMG_5966.JPGIMG_5966.JPG IMG_5968.JPGIMG_5968.JPG
#118 10 years ago

To tell the truth, I'm starting to impress myself. And when I added the LEDs...

IMG_5970.JPGIMG_5970.JPG IMG_5974.JPGIMG_5974.JPG IMG_5975.JPGIMG_5975.JPG
#133 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

It adds to the effect if you hide the light source.
Should be a helluva show stopper when done.

Yup. Just doing a little proof of concept test with a trial strip and some duct tape. The strips I intend to use are incredibly thin and bright and should be easy to hide. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flexible-strips-and-bars/

You can buy in bulk length and then customize to need. These have copper pads every 3" where you can cut and solder in leads.

IMG_5979.JPGIMG_5979.JPG IMG_5980.JPGIMG_5980.JPG
#134 10 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

For the back box insert panel you could use the wms press fit wpc style lamp sockets with the idc connectors on the back.
-c

Not sure which ones you are talking about. A pic or catalog link would be good... thanks!

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

BTW, if you haven't tried already, I did a little experiment last week and found that Forestner bits work well on acrylic too. I had to let everything cool a couple of times during the cut, as I could smell the acrylic getting hot. Might have helped if I applied more pressure to shorten the drill time and/or backed off the drill speed.

Yep. I have done it but do not prefer it. You can cool it with water as you drill, just be sure to clean and dry immediately after. Low/med speed, light pressure always. Let the drill do the work, never force it. Whatever I have in the chuck of the press, it's just a slow, steady process. Pressure makes for chips/cracks.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Looking really good. What are you using to actually throw the sand around in your free blaster?

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html Cabinet was free. The blaster was a couple bucks. This one actually works pretty well, as you can see. Performs with my home garage pancake compressor. I get about a minute of spray time to a minute of compressor run. Shooting with the 70 grit aluminum oxide.

Quoted from beatmaster:

this is just crazy, one of a kind for sure.
i can only imagine what the playfield will look like
does the light for the cabinet is RGB, change colors every week or so depending on the mood you are.

Still undecided...
1) Three colors on cabinet(left side, right side, coin door), fourth for P/F and fifth for head.
2) Color changing all around.
3) Blue lower cabinet, green playfield, red head/ back glass.
Leaning towards #3. The point of the color here is to highlight and accent, not grab your attention. Always taking suggestions...

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wow. That acrylic housing for (what I'm assuming is) the on/off switch is amazing. It looks crystal clear...and you did that all with varying coarseness levels of sand paper? Is that true? How long did you spend sanding at each of the varying stages you listed? ...and do you recommend a buffing wheel for the final stage?
More thanks and praise for this thread. Good luck with your project. Those LED lighted panels are coming along smashingly.
Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

That's exactly what it is. Mostly won't be seen. Yep, a couple of minutes of wet sanding with each grit successively until that level of scratches are gone. (Using a block where I could to keep it flat.) Then the buffing wheel with polish for that extra shine. I happened to have an old bench grinder I hadn't used in years so I pulled the grinding wheels and got a couple of buffing wheels. One leather and one cotton. Makes polishing the metal and plastic parts extra nice and easy. I was actually surprised with the ease of this. And thanks.

1 week later
#145 10 years ago

Been a rough week or two with cooler temps than normal and lots of work at work. Overtime is a good thing and I never turn it down. Today's goal, weather dependent of course, is to finish the blasting of parts for the cabinet sides and plastics. Took a lot of work to get the artwork ready. Now I just have to bring the images up in the Silhouette software, reverse and size, and cut.

IMG_5510.JPGIMG_5510.JPG sidestencil-76.jpgsidestencil-76.jpg
1 week later
#150 10 years ago

1) Mr Forstner, I like the cut of your jib. Or the jib of your cut. Or... hell, you make a nice hole, k? Flipper button.

2) Ready for grit media impalement. Aim for the shiny spots, k?

IMG_6010.JPGIMG_6010.JPG IMG_6018.JPGIMG_6018.JPG
#157 10 years ago

Side panel. Hard to see the blasting results with the paper still on the outside, but you get the idea...

IMG_6028.JPGIMG_6028.JPG
#162 10 years ago

Gonna need more LEDs...

IMG_6030.JPGIMG_6030.JPG IMG_6033.JPGIMG_6033.JPG
#167 10 years ago

"Some assembly required..."

IMG_6037.JPGIMG_6037.JPG
#171 10 years ago

OK. First dry fit-up today and all looks well. Meanwhile, I have more practice pieces curing in the jig. Trying to figure out why I am getting so much of a crazing effect. That'll make for ugly corners.

Kitten approved, as you can see, so I've got that going for me.

Thanks for all the compliments and encouragement. It helps a ton!

IMG_6041.JPGIMG_6041.JPG IMG_6044.JPGIMG_6044.JPG IMG_6048.JPGIMG_6048.JPG IMG_6045.JPGIMG_6045.JPG
#172 10 years ago

On the other side of the garage... (yeah, it's the same side but I needed a segue...)

1) A little tuning and a lot of cleaning and this will be transferred to it's acrylic counterpart.
2) Every label in this sucker is bi-lingual. Smarter than me.
3) Multi-national service outlet. Two prong or two blade - no problemo!
4) I've seen worse. MUCH worse.

IMG_6050.JPGIMG_6050.JPG IMG_6051.JPGIMG_6051.JPG IMG_6052.JPGIMG_6052.JPG IMG_6053.JPGIMG_6053.JPG
#174 10 years ago

Joey! Yeah, I actually have watched a lot of his videos. I can relate to them much better than some of the "pro" website how-to videos. I think the problem I'm actually having is called "clouding" and it is due to our high humidity here. May have to due the major construction inside.

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

As I said before, if you're using Weld on 3, try 4. It was made specifically not to do that:

http://www.curbellplastics.com/technical-resources/pdf/bond-acrylic-weldon-4.pdf

It has nothing to do with humidity.

Got it. Thanks. (Hard head here... tough to penetrate.)

#181 10 years ago

"HEPing," huh? Had to look that one up! No, staying classic with a few updates. Color LEDs lighting the side artwork and soft white LEDs in the backbox so as not to blind the players. Probably some thing in the case to light up the machinery and such. I considered clear flipper bats and clear posts, but concluded that I had to have some contrast. Then I saw these - ebay.com link: itm

Sold. Still considering options for the flippers. Other than that it will be all original. The idea for me was that anything wood would be turned to clear plexi. Casing, back box, playfield, etc. Also doing the backglass, transition and guides. It's all starting to shape up now, but March is coming fast and I've got 4 other machines to prep for TPF. Wish me luck!

#184 10 years ago

Light work weekend. Finished grooming over the machinery and spent some time compiling a list o' stuff to order for the other 4 machines I'll be bringing to TPF to be played and hopefully sell. (Thanks, PBR, you guys are the best!) Managed a little garage time and finished routing the slots for the machinery platform supports, the back box support and the coinbox back stop. Also finished cutting out all of the corner blocks, platform support blocks and playfield supports. Picked up a new piece of polycarbonate for the playfield. (See, I can listen!) Now all I need to do is dress all the corners and prep for final assembly. Meanwhile, working on the back box support collar and stripping inserts from the old play field. Getting ready to service the 4 score assemblies and credit counter. Whew!!

IMG_6069.JPGIMG_6069.JPG
#185 10 years ago

OK, EM gurus. How do I repair this? In my navy days, I would have just filled the sucker with hot lead! Do I just heat it up and melt in some solder?

IMG_6073.JPGIMG_6073.JPG
1 week later
#190 10 years ago

Still progressing, slow going at this point. Down to polishing up all the cab pieces before final assembly of the lower cab. Even though most of the corner marriages won't be seen thanks to legs and lockdown bar, it still has to be a good, solid joint that can take abuse without cracking. Going to add in cab protectors for a little extra flex and may need longer leg bolts. Meanwhile, still cleaning score reels and stepper motors etc, etc, etc.

#201 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Next, please do a Fish Tales and turn the cabinet into an aquarium

Eh, it's been done. LOL

tanked.jpgtanked.jpg
#204 10 years ago

"Tanked." I like the show too but this was a horrific idea. Ugly don't begin to describe IMHO.

#208 10 years ago

Finally, a good productive day. The spousal unit is down hard w/ H1N1 so I was free to work uninterrupted while she slept off last nights puke fest. Thanks, whoever invented Tamiflu. Today was my second dryfit test with the machinery supports and coinbox back stop added in. I also threw in all the angle braces and machinery platform for fit, trim and drilling. Everything looks excellent. A little more dressing on the corners and we will assemble the lower cab.

IMG_6148.JPGIMG_6148.JPG IMG_6155.JPGIMG_6155.JPG
#209 10 years ago

The next trick was to figure out how to duplicate the spiked T-nut / bolt system that secures the machinery platform to the supports. Thanks to the helpful folks at Ace, I got that covered.

IMG_6157.JPGIMG_6157.JPG IMG_6159.JPGIMG_6159.JPG IMG_6160.JPGIMG_6160.JPG
#211 10 years ago

That same trick should work for the head bolts, just a little bigger version. I'm finding that for every accounted hour on this project there seems to be two hours of unaccounted time for stuff I am not anticipating. The lower casing has been the beast I assumed it would be and then some. I sincerely hope that once it is assembled, the rest will flow a lot easier. It will become more about taking stuff from the old and putting it in the new. Once I get the case filled in and the machinery transferred to its new home, I'll be duplicating the score board while building up the back box. After that, just the play field! Easy, right?

Last item today was to affix the playfield supports to the case sides. So far, so good.

IMG_6162.JPGIMG_6162.JPG IMG_6163.JPGIMG_6163.JPG IMG_6167.JPGIMG_6167.JPG
#218 10 years ago

I like to hedge my bets, so I went ahead and added screws to the playfield supports. It's pretty heavy, with a large rack of relays and the bonus score motor.

IMG_6169.JPGIMG_6169.JPG
#219 10 years ago

First, of course, I did a dozen or so tests to find the maximum drill bit width allowable while maintaining grip of the screw and structural integrity of the part. Any good fabricator knows you always test it first. You'll know the hole is too small when...

IMG_6172.JPGIMG_6172.JPG
#222 10 years ago

I am taking copious amounts of notes for my own future reference... I am also categorizing as such because the difference in size and material. (Acrylic vs polycarbonate, extruded vs cast, etc., etc., etc....) I can be a li'l A/R, but it makes me a consistent ass instead of an unpredictable one!

#223 10 years ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

If I had done something like that on a final piece, I would have cried.

You would have heard me scream.

#225 10 years ago

Done. Glued up. No looking back now. Whew! Guess I'd better get started shining up the legs...

IMG_6187.JPGIMG_6187.JPG
#236 10 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Excellent work.
But for future reference, there is a drill size chart for screws sizes available - although not sure how well this translates for use in plastic: http://www.wlfuller.com/html/wood_screw_chart.html
Or this one if using machine screws: http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/us-tap-drill-size.aspx

Thanks! Nice references. The second one works great but the first just gives a good starting point. Most wood (even "hard" woods) will compress, to a point. The plexi, especially the cast kind does not. If the hole is too small, either it cracks, or if polycarbonate (like Lexan) the friction will heat it until the screw is stuck and you snap the head off. Not wanting any of that in my project, I start big and work my way down. (Wastes less screws that way.) It seems to be a fine line between too big to give grip and too small to work. My bit set breaks down to 64ths and I'm getting better at making educated guesses. But testing never hurts.

#240 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

I can't really tell from the pics, sorry if I missed something, but are you tapping threads into the acrylic? Or just running a wood screw into a big enough hole to get grip but not blow out the acrylic? Have you tried self-tappers?

Option two. You can tap the acrylic but one over tightening and you're done. (Drill bigger, thread again, etc.) As for self-tappers, I believe they would work, but length is key here. The drilling tip would end up emerging from the other side of the plastic. Also, trying to remain as original as is reasonable, fasteners included. Thanks for the suggestions!

#242 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

When I said 'self tappers', I wasn't thinking of the drill tip kind, more like this:

Interesting. No idea how those would work.

#243 10 years ago

And then there's this. "One of these things is NOT like the others..." Never really paid much attention to the legs. I had four, they were the same length and all were covered in crappy rattle can silver. (Applied while attached, of course.) So now that the time has come, I find one is chrome and the other three are burnished. And one of the levelers is NOT coming out. Yes I know how, I do it at work all the time. Cut, drill, tap.... Sometimes you just gotta say, fuckit. New legs on the way. Done and done.

IMG_6346.JPGIMG_6346.JPG IMG_6348.JPGIMG_6348.JPG
#244 10 years ago

Meanwhile...

IMG_6337.JPGIMG_6337.JPG IMG_6339.JPGIMG_6339.JPG IMG_6341.JPGIMG_6341.JPG IMG_6342.JPGIMG_6342.JPG IMG_6345.JPGIMG_6345.JPG
#247 10 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

I'd like to kill two birds with one stone and get an EM shuffle bowler. Haven't had any luck finding one anywhere close.

If I had the room... EMs are easy, dude. Just throw in a little mechanical action where the transistors and ICs usually sit and you got it!

#250 10 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

This clearly looks great

Arrrrrrg!

Quoted from Lonzo:

Where is a good place to get this kind of acrylic?

I sourced mine locally by searching plastics in the local yellow pages. There are lots of places online, but the shipping will kill you. (This crap's heavy! I will own the world's heaviest machine when this is done...) I bought mine at a local plastic fabrication shop that also sells raw materials and supplies. They are a good bunch and offered some excellent advice on techniques. Naturally I payed a little more per square foot than I can find online, but there's no shipping and I get to inspect the pieces before I buy them. I would hate to buy a $600 piece of acrylic or lexan only to have it show up cracked.

#255 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Any idea (or guess) on how much this bad boy is gonna weigh when finished? Friends and family are going to scatter when you even hint at moving it
No way to fake a plexi coin door? The door certainly spoils the illusion and blocks a lot of the view - at least from the front.

Early calculations put it at 100 pounds over the initial weight of the machine. A 3/4" sheet of acrylic will best a 3/4" sheet of standard ply by 70 pounds alone. Throw in some extra for the back box, equipment platform and playfield and we probably hit right around 100# more. Moving it will be a challenge. I am modifying my cart so it lifts by the sides, not the bottom piece. Also thinking about s/s channel around the bottom which will keep it from getting chewed up as well as hide the LEDs. It gets moved in pieces, no doubt.
When I started this, the idea was to replace all wood with acrylic. There was no specific plan on how or what. In the ever-changing process, I considered clear everything. (Bumper caps, flippers, etc.) As it started to come together, I found I liked the contrast and color more than clear. It would be relatively easy to make a clear door panel but with all the crap behind it (coin mechs, coin return chute, light mounts, etc) I really didn't see the point. Besides, you can't see through the player!

#256 10 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

If you don't mind me asking, what will be the total materials cost when it's all done?

My intention was to do this for under $1500 and I'm pretty certain I will. The 3/4" sheet was the biggest expense at $600. Around $300 more for the playfield and back box material. The machine itself was $175. Throw in a couple hundred more for bonding agents, fasteners, drill bits, saw blades, etc. It'll be close. Factor in the hours and it gets a little ridiculous. But, it's a labor of love, not profit. The knowledge I gained doing this is great and if I was ever dumb enough to do another, I'm already fully equipped and could probably do it in half the time.

#259 10 years ago

Okay. When this is all said and done, I am writing another entry called "A Pinball case; not just a damn box!" Thankfully, I have a not so silent partner named Bill. Bill D. Carpenter. (No relation to Karen.) While I might have made this without him, it would not have looked near as pretty! Sooooooooo we're up to making the neck and the interrelationships of all the pieces is quickly driving me to drink. Heavily. Saga with pics to follow...

#261 10 years ago

Step one - this angle is spot on.

IMG_6356.JPGIMG_6356.JPG IMG_6357.JPGIMG_6357.JPG
#262 10 years ago

Step 2 - We need to repeat that angle here, so all will be flush at the back of the machine.

IMG_6352.JPGIMG_6352.JPG
#264 10 years ago

Meanwhile, a goody package arrived. I must say I am somewhat disappointed in that this is what passes for "chrome" these days. I'm guessing that somewhere between the EPA and cost controls we went from dipping to electroplating? (sigh...)

IMG_6361.JPGIMG_6361.JPG
#265 10 years ago

Also, I have decided to "pretty up" a few parts. Normally, no one would see these...

IMG_6359.JPGIMG_6359.JPG
#266 10 years ago

In recognition of Bill's skills, here is what was left after he cut two pieces from one, minus the width of a saw blade... He be savin' me mad coin. (The better he cuts, the less I have to buy.) "Measure thrice, damn it! Time is of no consequence!"

IMG_6349.JPGIMG_6349.JPG
#271 10 years ago

And of course... for all the good there is sometimes bad. While cutting trim pieces for the head, we attempted two for the price of one with polycarbonate. Turns out it was a baaaaaaad idea! The saw blade heated up enough to melt the plastic and it ran into one of the expansion slots and grabbed. The piece shattered and took off. Fortunately, we were well out of the line of fire and not even a band aid was needed. (Although, clean shorts were sought out.) The top right piece was lodged into the saw blade and stopped the saw. The bottom right piece flew 20 feet to the left of the saw. The little triangle wound up between my feet and the other piece just sat there. My maxim in life is that complacency kills. Always pay attention to where and how you stand in relation to the work being performed. Safety first and last.

IMG_6362.JPGIMG_6362.JPG
#272 10 years ago

Meanwhile, after shoveling all the sunshine off the driveway, it's back to work.

1. My CNC machine, post action.
2. That's a better fit.
3. Getting there.
4. More "some assembly required."

IMG_6368.JPGIMG_6368.JPG
IMG_6370.JPGIMG_6370.JPG
IMG_6374.JPGIMG_6374.JPG

IMG_6363.JPGIMG_6363.JPG
#275 10 years ago

I feel like the paperboy in "Better Off Dead." (Two dollars!!!) Except I'm screaming "3 degrees!! 3 degrees!!" Every. Dang. Part. of the neck needs that three degree slant to line up flush at the back of the machine. Two cuts on the sides, opposing of course. (I can't even SPELL paralello... paralella... um, funky slanty rectangle!) All better now, but sucked the life out of the day. Thanks for the 3 degree wood blocks, Buildy. They came in mighty handy. Onward! Forward!

IMG_6377.JPGIMG_6377.JPG
#278 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

by the way, is that material going to expand / contract in hot / cold weather? i would hate to see it bust a seam during a freak heat wave or something.

So would I! LOL So far, so good. Since I started construction, my garage has gone from 95 down to 35 or so. No problems as yet. I'm sticking hard to the limits of the weldment for humidity and temperature. Still, my greatest fear is that one day it just falls to pieces. Either that or I watch in horror as a big crack runs up one side and down the other.

#284 10 years ago

Playfield scanned, inserts removed, ready for duplicating.

IMG_6381.JPGIMG_6381.JPG
#285 10 years ago

Even the wife recognized this piece. It'll get band sawed tomorrow to even off the top. Once it is secured in place, I can put on the p/f glass channels, side rails, flipper buttons, and a few other things.

IMG_6382.JPGIMG_6382.JPG
#286 10 years ago

This part sucked. I doubt I took 2 breaths the whole time. On advice from Buildy, I flattened the corner to avoid chipping. It worked. Two down, six to go...

1. Pilot hole.
2. Full sized in three steps. (1/8", 3/8", 7/16)
3. Buildy's top secret leg bolt corner hole drilling thingamajig.

IMG_6383.JPGIMG_6383.JPG IMG_6384.JPGIMG_6384.JPG IMG_6385.JPGIMG_6385.JPG
#300 10 years ago

The plan, at this time, is to do a combo of sandblast and black paint on top of the polycarbonate play field remake that will then be covered with mylar for smooth ball travel. Original inserts will be used. Don't need to. Want to.

Intended to do it reversed on the bottom, but tests showed that with a 1/2" thick field, it would be difficult at best to line up graphics with the switches and such. So, has to be on top.

The original play field has been asked for and will be given upon completion of the project, sans original inserts. Hopefully no damage will occur when I remove the 15 nail/screws that held down the pop bumper and flipper bases.

I plan to do 44s on the inserts and 47s elsewhere. I would like to do soft LEDs but that may quickly become cost prohibitive. The backglass will be done similarly and some color will be added with decals for certain areas. (TILT, Shoot Again, Player #, Match numbers...)

I did consider doing the colors on the P/F as well, but there is an awful lot of it and it would block the view.

#320 10 years ago

Work O/T plus call-outs = 18 hour weekend. Weax has gone cold as well. Need to insulate and heat the garage. Did manage to remove the 15 mounting nail/screw deals that held the pop bumpers and flippers with no real damage. (Buildy to the rescue, again.) 4 day weekend next week. I'm gettin' behind...

IMG_6389.JPGIMG_6389.JPG
#321 10 years ago

OK. Longest week ever. Worked OT last weekend, regular day Monday then lost 5 pounds (the easy way) overnight. No flu, just a heavy duty stomach virus. Better the next day, but apparently pulled my back in the process so I have been bed bound for three days now. Nice to catch up on Cash Cab, the NYT crosswords and the best of vid1900's threads. I also caught up on the Wrath of Olympus thread. THAT guy will make you feel inadequate! I also fully believe that the best comedians in the nation lurk in the comments sections of these and other websites. The C/L ones have me rollin'...

So anyways, I have a four day weekend, my back is... serviceable? and the weather is 70s and breezy. Hope to make huge gains this weekend. Not missing the east coast at all, especially this week!

IMG_6391.JPGIMG_6391.JPG IMG_6394.JPGIMG_6394.JPG
#325 10 years ago

She's got LEGS!!!! Go ahead, sing that out loud in your best falsetto. I know I did!

IMG_6395.JPGIMG_6395.JPG IMG_6396.JPGIMG_6396.JPG IMG_6397.JPGIMG_6397.JPG IMG_6398.JPGIMG_6398.JPG
#331 10 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

awesome project........are those small inside leg plates going to spread the load out away from the corner when nudging?

Hopefully as much as they originally did against the 1" wedges. Trying to use all the old hardware where practicable. I considered the newer bigger plates but I believe the case protectors I threw in between the legs and cabs will also absorb a lot of that force. They are much softer plastic and should add some give. And this thing is for playing, not demonstrating death saves. I would say, so far, it is surprisingly sturdy.

I'll get the neck glued in tomorrow and commence filling out the cab. Once that's done, on to the playfield and back box.

#340 10 years ago
Quoted from Notbychance:

Im not sure if you plan on edge polishing the top of the cabinet edges under the side rails and adding some Sylvania mosaic led or not but that would be ultra pimp. Keep up the craftsman work!

Top of the cab will be polished towards the back where it will be seen through the neck. Under the side rails is the glass channels and there is no room for anything. I am fabbing some S/S channel to be added to the bottom of the cab which will serve two purposes; 1) hide the LED strips that will light up the sides. 2) protect the edges from chips and gouges when being moved and dollied.

#341 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I yet again have a BONER ! my GF thanks you...
Happy valentines day..

Um, congratulations, you're welcome and TMI! lol

#346 10 years ago

Whew!! Looooong day. First, for all you in the north and east. It was 78 and sunny with a light breeze. So there.

IMG_6412.JPGIMG_6412.JPG
#348 10 years ago

Spent the morning finishing out the neck. Addressed a few fit and finish issues that won't be seen anyways. (But I know it's there and I am anally retentive.) Got the fastener nuts in for the head bolts and worked on the bottom of the head.

Since that is done now, I could add in the one side rail I have finished polishing. Since the side rail is in I could add the one shiny flipper button. I LOATH polishing. I'm more of an antiquing-go-with-the-pettina kind of guy. I'm gonna do a kickstarter style deal where you volunteer to polish something and get to play when it's done.

Aaaaaaand the damn INSIDE of the side rails WILL BE VISIBLE! Oh Jeez..... like bad pin mirrors.

IMG_6421.JPGIMG_6421.JPG IMG_6409.JPGIMG_6409.JPG IMG_6408.JPGIMG_6408.JPG IMG_6406.JPGIMG_6406.JPG
#349 10 years ago

Next, in order to blow off polishing the other side rail, I opted to take advantage of the nice weax by doing something that can't be done in the evening after work or when the weax sucks. (Like polishing.) So, with a light heart, time on my hands and the Best of the Spice Girls cued up in the MP3 player, I started on the play field.

First, I did a test of the human CNC machine. I called it a success.

IMG_6400.JPGIMG_6400.JPG IMG_6401.JPGIMG_6401.JPG IMG_6405.JPGIMG_6405.JPG IMG_6403.JPGIMG_6403.JPG
#351 10 years ago

Second task was to mate the old play field with the new material. Drilled through where the securing bolts were for the pops and flippers. Through bolted them. This will ensure that my alignment remains the same throughout the process. Even if I have to separate them and rejoin, I should not have any problems.

IMG_6411.JPGIMG_6411.JPG IMG_6413.JPGIMG_6413.JPG IMG_6414.JPGIMG_6414.JPG
#353 10 years ago

Once that was done, I clamped it all down and began drilling. And drilling. And drilling some more.

The G.I. lights were the simplest. A single shot with the 7/16" plastic drill bit. Same for the flipper post holes.

Next, the small holes for the pop bumper light wires and the pass-throughs for a gate opener/closer wire and a spinner switch closing wire. Pre-drilled with a 1/8" plastic bit then drilled to size with a standard drill bit.

Then, there's everything else. Pop bumper body holes. Stand-up target holes. Feature light/insert holes. Kicker and slingshot holes. Switch slots. And so on, blah, blah, blah...

Holes larger than 7/16" got drilled and will be routed out with the bearing bit. Smaller ones got drilled with a 3/16" plastic bit and then routed out with a straight 3/16" router bit. The outer edge rim be routed with the flush cut bearing bit.

The last pic looks a little rough because not all have been routed to size yet and the ratty paper doesn't help. Still looking for something long, hard and skinny to mark the switch slots for routing. Mental note: vacuum more frequently. My 20 year old Craftsman mini-shop vac wasn't made for heroic feats. I wasted an inordinate amount of time today cleaning a clog of hot plastic out of the hose. Yeesh! Enjoy!!

IMG_6415.JPGIMG_6415.JPG IMG_6416.JPGIMG_6416.JPG IMG_6417.JPGIMG_6417.JPG IMG_6418.JPGIMG_6418.JPG IMG_6419.JPGIMG_6419.JPG
#354 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's how playfields were made before CNC, template and router.
What speed did you use?

Yeah, I'm picturing nice punched steel templates with little old ladies running air powered hand routers. I'm running around 20-25,000 depending on bit size. I say around 'cause the thing has speed settings 1 through 6.

#355 10 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Had me until the spice girls reference. Barf

Just joshing with ya, dude. I was actually listening to ABBA, Cher and Amy Grant.

#360 10 years ago

Switch slots, graphics and a few other details and I'll start populating this bad boy. - Guess who's gonna be the first person to walk into a sharp acrylic corner and cut themselves? That's right, me! May have to cone it off for safety's sake.

IMG_6457.JPGIMG_6457.JPG
#370 10 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I think he routed out the inserts the same way the factory did, this guy has skills! Ad me to the long list of people who are really enjoying this thread. It must he hard deciding what to make clear and what to leave metal but so far I like the choices he's making.

I used the old playfield as a template for the new and yes, there was a ridge the inserts sat on. I would have preferred to depth them the same with forstner bits but I don't have access to a drill press with that deep of a throat. The original inserts will be super glued in, then any gaps filled with the acrylic bonding agent. After graphics are completed, I am doing a mylar sheet over the whole deal. Should be OK.

Again, the idea is to replace all wood with acrylic. There will be ONE original wood part incorporated into this build.

#373 10 years ago
Quoted from bintzknocker:

My families defintion of a project -- 2 of 3 conditions need to be met.
Bleeding
Swearing
More than 1 trip to the hardware store

Three opposable thumbs up!

#374 10 years ago

Buildy's latest jig contribution. I'd give you three guesses as to what it does, but you'll only need one...

IMG_6460.JPGIMG_6460.JPG
#382 10 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

what an awesome project! you need to do a em slot machine next! that would be amazing beside this in your gameroom!

I gotta say, that is a hell of an idea. I have also thought about doing a pitch and bat.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

As TPF approaches and you see the light at the end of the tunnel on this project, I'd be curious to hear your plans for A) this machine and B) your next project.
Best of luck coming down the home stretch! It's been a pleasure following this process from afar.

It's just not looking good for TPF at this point. Turns out the light at the end of a tunnel IS a train. See my last post for more info. My hope is that this machine, once completed, will get to go other places for folks to enjoy. I'm doing this because most people will never get out to the Pacific Pinball Museum and see theirs. and I expect people will get a kick out of it. The more people that can enjoy it, the better. The next project is a pair of Space Invader widebodies I picked up earlier this year. One will be overhauled as built for my permanent collection. The other will get a modified play field and ruleset as I learn to run a PROC powered system. After that, I intend to build a one-off PROC controlled steam-punk machine like lots of folks here talk about doing and never do... really. I swear!

Quoted from AMBoggs:

I love Freud router bits and saw blades.

Me too! And that 1" ball cut the plywood like butter. See pic below.

#383 10 years ago

The good news is, the jig works like a champ. The bad news is, the numbers are off. At the proper start depth, I get a run of just over 11". Should be around 15.75". Back to the band saw!

IMG_6474.JPGIMG_6474.JPG
#384 10 years ago

While I managed to cut out all the switch slots today, I am not entirely happy with the results. I have already designed an adjustable jig for this in my head. Future reference.

IMG_6476.JPGIMG_6476.JPG
#385 10 years ago

1)This is a piece of folded stainless steel that I bent into a channel. The idea is to use it as runners along the base of the lower cab to a) protect the acrylic from chips and gouges when being transported and b) house the LED strips.

2) The old rail assembly.

3) The new and improved rail assembly.

IMG_6478.JPGIMG_6478.JPG IMG_6480.JPGIMG_6480.JPG IMG_6482.JPGIMG_6482.JPG IMG_6483.JPGIMG_6483.JPG
#386 10 years ago

Sadly, today was my drop dead date for work on this project in deference to prepping my other pins for TPF. I have four other pins in need of some minor repair and cleaning to get ready and a mini-van that needs a tow rig installed. At this time I will suspend work on this project in order to prepare for our annual migration north to Dallas for a fun filled weekend. The work I did on the APP this weekend FELT like work and I do not want this thing done on a time limit basis. It should be enjoyable and today was not. Fear not. The moment I have finished with the other stuff or TPF ends, I will return to this enjoyable project and finish it. Thanks to everyone that have been following my progress and giving me great encouragement. It is immensely appreciated. "I'll be back!"

IMG_6484.JPGIMG_6484.JPG
#388 10 years ago

I hope so too! Dying to play that game.

1 week later
#395 10 years ago

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back. Things are moving right along for TPF prep so back to work. Post 1, Buildy gets it right. After a few missteps and several beatings with a 2X4, we finally managed to create a ball trough jig of the proper length and angle. The answer was so damn simple I don't know how either of us didn't come up with it sooner. Overthinkers anonymous meeting, anyone? Anyways, here's a good test run.

IMG_6589.JPGIMG_6589.JPG IMG_6592.JPGIMG_6592.JPG
#396 10 years ago

Set the router cut depth by taking the thickness of the jig....

Add the desired depth of cut, 1/4", and set it.

IMG_6590.JPGIMG_6590.JPG IMG_6591.JPGIMG_6591.JPG
#397 10 years ago

Ta freaking da. Commence drooling in 3...2...1...

IMG_6644.JPGIMG_6644.JPG IMG_6645.JPGIMG_6645.JPG
#403 10 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Great project. I just wonder why you routed the playfield inserts. If you would not cut out the insert hole and place a lamp below you will still see wether the lamp is on or off. All you need to do is color the inserts on the overlay, if they had color.

Wanted to use all the original parts I could while merely replacing all the wood with acrylic. And to see if I could do it.

Quoted from retired_user_101:

glad you're still planning to bring to dallas show.
was going to ask if you could bring if, even though you had stopped work on it to get other pins ready.

We'll see... it's getting there.

#404 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Better get this done before it's time to start mowing the lawn.....errr...."rake" the lawn......

You know, I used to make fun of it but now I am all about the xeriscaping. I spent years when I lived in VA Beach keeping a perfect lawn with my neighbors. Down here I would consider that a waste of water. Bonus: no Sundays mowing, edging, raking, bagging, seeding, feeding, etc...

#408 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Are you going to lay down a sheet of mylar or something to protect from ball scratching the surface?
Way to cool! yes you are clearly insane!! It is looking amazing!!!

There is a sheet of mylar relaxing in the next room as I type. Doing decals for play field markings and then mylar over the top.

Quoted from Gerry:

If you put a high end ball in there and wax it with good wax....
I highly recomend collonite #885... you should have no problems on that surface...

I figured it was just a matter of time. The more I ignored the "waxed balls" thread, the more likely it was that it would come find me...

#413 10 years ago

Looking into it... I'd rather not mylar it, myself, but am getting short on time. Originally, I was going to spot blast the areas where words go and then paint them in and clear coat. Found making stencils for words that small while not impossible, would be difficult at best. My best option at this point is to do the words on white background decal paper. I believe it will give me the look I want, but I have to protect it. Will have to do some quick experimenting to see if that can be waxed without destroying it. Either that or I go with no verbiage on the play field. Not a desirable option either.

#416 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Collinite will absoulutely 100% NOT damage that PF...

Not worried about the polycarbonate, worried about the decals...

#425 10 years ago

You already invested a lot into this, so maybe this suggestion won't be too expensive for you.

IMG_6728.JPGIMG_6728.JPG

Waaaaay back on page three you can see the work I did making stencils with my Cameo. My point is that the playfield letters are 1/4" and 1/8". It will cut them, but the weeding and usage would probably be more frustration than fruitful.

Well, y'all screamed loudly and I heard ya. The mylar is out and the wax is in. The results of my unscientific experiment are quite clear. I am also going with the white backed decals. It is really close to the look I was going for anyways.

#427 10 years ago

At the end of the day, it will be awesome no matter how you do it. I'm just a spectator and ultimately my opinion means nothing.

I take all advice seriously and actually heed some of it! LOL This place is a virtual plethora of useful (and useless) information. (Not to mention the repository of boob pics and ball jokes.)

Today I finished polishing out the ball shooter lane guides and top arc. With any luck, tomorrow I will assemble the back box and begin to install play field inserts and lower machinery.

IMG_6729.JPGIMG_6729.JPG IMG_6730.JPGIMG_6730.JPG IMG_6731.JPGIMG_6731.JPG
#430 10 years ago

Mylar out, wax in. Collinite 885, designed to protect airplanes and speed boat hulls. And maybe playfields from what I hear.

#431 10 years ago

Sandblasting the sides of the back box so I can get it assembled. Had a nice visit yesterday from fellow pinsider raddroxx. Nice to chat about pinball and the local scene thereof. All seven or eight of us. Yeah, it's sad.

IMG_6737.JPGIMG_6737.JPG
#433 10 years ago

A big thanks to fellow pinsider Barron who was parting out a Faces and made sure I was aware so I could purchase the last piece needed to complete this project, the match unit. Kinda hard to come by. Thanks again!

IMG_6738.JPGIMG_6738.JPG
#440 10 years ago

A banner weekend, indeed. Picking up play field and backglass glass tomorrow. Progressing nicely, deadline nearing. Thanks, TPF, for reminding me everyday on my Facebook page. Loudly. Meanwhile, any day I learn something new is pretty good:

1) 97% alcohol hurts. A lot. When squirted in ones eye. (Cue irrational fear of tall square bottles in 3...2...1...)
2) Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. (Not a new lesson, but readily re learned.
3) Work gloves are not useful as an afterthought.
4) I loathe my buffing wheel.
5) I should start buying Novus by the gallon.
6) This thing is gonna rock at TPF.

IMG_6747.JPGIMG_6747.JPG
IMG_6748.JPGIMG_6748.JPG

#454 10 years ago

OK. So, the inserts are... well, inserted! Went well for the most part. Had to sand a few of them down. A couple of the arrows were overcut so I made a few various sized shims from the usable scrap pile. The weldment put it all together like glue. Really good, solid glue. It will take a nuclear explosion to get them out again. In pieces. Decals next, wax, then populating. 8 days....

IMG_6803.JPGIMG_6803.JPG IMG_6800.JPGIMG_6800.JPG
#456 10 years ago

Rcvd LED kit today and all it contained was the LED strip. No power supply and such. Reordered and we will see. It is an afterthought anyway but not essential to operation.

#457 10 years ago

Sooooooooooo it seems not all inserts are created equal. All of the white ones are cemented in very solidly. The red ones popped right out! What? Crap! Must obviously be made of the same type of plastic that the little bottle that contains the weldment juice is made of. Plan B is in effect...

#462 10 years ago

Long day today, lots wrong, less right. 20y/o Weller up and died. Trip to Ace Hardware #1. Screws for mounting, well, everything are too damn long. Trip #2. Decided the 1/4" braid I bought for my ground rail should have been 1/8". Ace don't carry that so I dug into my bag o' tricks and found a local source of stranded 18ga. (The cloth covered kind strips so much easier than the plastic kind.)

**Bonus for guessing the donor play field.

IMG_6815.JPGIMG_6815.JPG IMG_6816.JPGIMG_6816.JPG
#463 10 years ago

"Jus' needs a lil' Novus, dude!!" (Someone will say it. Might as well be me.) Back in reality, thanks to whoever showed this trick. Several folks I think. Screw a dowel and sand paper. THIS is the way to clean out light sockets with a Dremel.

IMG_6812.JPGIMG_6812.JPG
#464 10 years ago

Regarding mounting the flush GI lights. Staples out, screws in. But I didn't want to spend untold amounts of time drilling the little bastards. Buildy to the rescue again. This is a "Whitney" punch and it is just what the doctor ordered. Just put in the proper sized die and punch away. Gonna save me a ton in time and little drill bits.

IMG_6811.JPGIMG_6811.JPG
#465 10 years ago

Today's progress. Doesn't look like much, but had to do some more learning. (Screwing up, optional, lessons in how not to are mandatory.) All GI and 90% of controlled lights are in and tested. Machinery tomorrow.

IMG_6814.JPGIMG_6814.JPG
#472 10 years ago

Yep. Gonna pretty much break for TPF now. There's no way it is going to be ready in time. Got to slow down, step back and relax again. I'd rather do it right than rushed. Next year for sure. Work continues at a slower pace... The only way this would come to Frisco is as a static display. And nobody wants that.

IMG_6818.JPGIMG_6818.JPG IMG_6817.JPGIMG_6817.JPG
#476 10 years ago

There's always next year. It'll be ready and perfect. Glad to hear you got all your issues straightened out. I would offer help, but it seems most of your problems are WAY over my head. See you at the "Star Trek row."

3 weeks later
#492 10 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Enough resting... We crave updates.

Hey, I needed a vacation from my vacation! But then, don't we all? And trust me... no one yells at me louder than these three!
SI12EBD.jpgSI12EBD.jpg

Assemble me! Clean me! Repair me! PLAY ME!!!

#493 10 years ago

Meanwhile, between work, overtime and a plethora of honey-dos, I did manage to take Vid1900s advice to heart and used some recently purchased epoxy to get the red inserts permanently inserted.
IMG_7084.JPGIMG_7084.JPG

Also been researching and testing how to best go about polishing all the horrible scratches that managed to find their way onto the polycarbonate play field piece. While I have become quite proficient at refurbing the acrylic, the poly is another matter. While a much tougher material, the poly actually has a softer surface that is easily scratched and tough to get back to a crystal clear clarity. So with a plan in place, I will be wet sanding up to 2500 grit this weekend. After that, population of the play field will resume.
IMG_7086.JPGIMG_7086.JPG

#494 10 years ago

Also rethinking my plan for labeling the switches and lights on the P/F. I think I will shrink what will fit onto the inserts themselves and that should be making for a much less busy P/F. Minimalist is the watchword of the day here. Will also spend some quality time this weekend, weax permitting, on the back box. Then there's wiring in the rest of the case switches, rebuilding the coin door, mounting the... oh jeez. You guys have GOT to check this out...

#495 10 years ago

This is the kit I'll be running around the base and under the guts. Works as advertised. VERY happy with this purchase. Remote controlled and entirely programmable.

#499 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Is that the kit that has individually addressable LEDs? You can do sweeps and other special effects with them.

Er, no. This one is all or nothing. But it is 15' worth. You can adjust brightness, speed of change, fade, etc. and program your own custom sequences.

Quoted from btw75:

I noticed buffer pads today which polished scratches out of glass. I wonder if that's the right option for cleaning the poly?

Don't know. Glass is pretty hard. I've found that the super high grit paper with water gets it pretty close, then Novus3 with a wool buffing pad does pretty good, followed of course by 2 and 1. Also did some trials with that high end airplane/speed boat wax. Holy carp that stuff is awesome. I will be putting it on my car!

#503 10 years ago

220 grit.
IMG_7225.JPGIMG_7225.JPG

600 grit.
IMG_7227.JPGIMG_7227.JPG

1000 grit.
IMG_7228.JPGIMG_7228.JPG

2500 grit.
IMG_7231.JPGIMG_7231.JPG

And now for a little polishing.

#511 10 years ago

So after yesterday's marathon upper body work out, I decided to take it easy today. I thought I might finish the reassembly of the coin door and connected electrical items. (Flipper switches, game start switch, tilt mechs, etc.) I get the door aligned with coin return at the bottom...
IMG_7233.JPGIMG_7233.JPG

and the coin insert slots at the top...
IMG_7234.JPGIMG_7234.JPG

and go to close the door, only to see...
IMG_7236.JPGIMG_7236.JPG
IMG_7237.JPGIMG_7237.JPG
IMG_7238.JPGIMG_7238.JPG

Another "WTF" moment brought to you by the coin door and "It's one thing after another" amusements inc.! All I can do is laugh...

#515 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you sure that whole panel is mounted correctly? I've had this before and found out I was using the wrong holes.

Boy I sure hope so!! Anything is possible, but the coin return would also have to be moved on the inner panel to still line up with the cut out in the outer panel. Had to walk away and go run some errands so I haven't been back to look at it yet. If it was off by a little I would think I just didn't get the frame in right but it's off by a quarter inch. HAS to be an easy answer.

#517 10 years ago

Four separate pieces. And by itself, the outer panel shuts quite nicely. Was only upon adding the guts that this happened. As far as I can tell this is how it was in the original machine, but it couldn't have been.

#520 10 years ago

Fixed it...
mencia1.jpgmencia1.jpg

Noticed this...
IMG_72401_edited-1.jpgIMG_72401_edited-1.jpg

All better.
IMG_7241.JPGIMG_7241.JPG
IMG_7242.JPGIMG_7242.JPG

#521 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Was more concerned with heat stress than damage. I tried to use a piece of cloth and Novus 2 on the end of a oscillating tool. It cracked before my eyes.

I've done a buttload of testing with this in mind just like I did earlier with the screw hole sizes. Reason #1 for not flame polishing the edges. Makes for a brittle piece. Turns out that the buffer and buffing compound I am using will burn my hand before it really harms the acrylic or polycarbonate. I often buff the smaller pieces with gloves on. Keeps me from buffing off my finger tips.

#530 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yaaaa, I gave some good advice. I know cuz i've done it before.

Oh, you nailed it all right. I managed to mislabel them from the get go. And with the short one being up top, the angle made them appear to be the same. Lesson learned.

#531 10 years ago

I finished attaching the three trim pieces to the back box. Not sure if I like it or not but there is no turning back now!
IMG_7505.JPGIMG_7505.JPG
IMG_7506.JPGIMG_7506.JPG

The old back box had vents angled under the trim and through the top.
IMG_7507 copy.jpgIMG_7507 copy.jpg

Mine will have some simple holes drilled through the top with this screen attached underneath.
IMG_7508.JPGIMG_7508.JPG

#539 10 years ago

Wow. Didn't see that one coming...wink, wink! While I REALLY like the look of the polished s/s through the acrylic I am nothing if not open to suggestion. The jury is still out between steel mesh, plastic mesh and simply drilling a nice pattern into the top itself. Being as acrylic sucks at absorbing/transferring (as compared to plywood) heat and excels at passing it along I expect there will be a fairly healthy exhaust from this thing. Any plastic mesh would have to be thick enough to handle that. We shall see...

Quoted from Zitt:

WHOAH. Wait. Screen. No.
What would you do if I offered to laser cut a grill for you at Techshop out of clear acrylic?!

A very kind offer, but no thanks. I'll work out something here.

#540 10 years ago

Meanwhile, a banner work day where much got done... for my employer. 8am phone call to go spend 8 hours in the hot Texas sun fixing the mistakes of the young and stupid with too much pick-up under their feet. Amazing how much damage a speeding, out-of-control 2500HD can do. Yikes. Truck destroyed, young-un got away with 5 staples in his head and a healthy hike in his parent's insurance rates. (Thanks for all your help, Buildy!)

Back on subject, I was very displeased with the way my playfield polishing was coming along. The final stages were hazy and awful.

Quoted from Gerry:

take it to 1500 then 2000 you will thank me in the end...
3000 on an orbital 6" DA would be even better before you machine buff after the 2000...

Actually, I figured out that the problem was the 600 wasn't enough to rid all the scratches of the 220 and the 1k wasn't enough to eliminate the scratches of the 600. Tried too much too fast. While it worked like a champ on the acrylic, the poly is a much different story. So after 3 attempts to get it right I figure this out. I am now going 220, 400, 600, 800, 1k, 1500 and we'll see from there. I got through 600 tonight before I lost the light and I already have better results than I did the week before.
IMG_7721.JPGIMG_7721.JPG

BTW, Gerry, thanks for reminding me that I HAVE a DA sander. (Cheap 4.5" model, but it works well enough.) I had been on my 1/4 sheet palm sander. Plum forgot all about that thing. Dee, dee-deeeeeeeeeeee!!

#541 10 years ago

On a related note, I decided I was spending way too much money on the little polishing compound sticks from Sears. So using the wife's Amazon Prime account, I got a pair of 1# blocks in two days, free shipping. MUCH more economical.
IMG_7715.JPGIMG_7715.JPG

#543 9 years ago

Well yesterday was fun! Huh, Radroxx????
IMG_7732.JPGIMG_7732.JPG

Dumbass 4 wheelers...

#544 9 years ago

Today was much more relaxed than the rest of the weekend. Finally got some quality me time with my favorite project. After spending a couple more hours on the playfield rehab, I cut, trimmed and edge polished the rear panel for the head.
IMG_7765.JPGIMG_7765.JPG

#545 9 years ago

A little warm for it today...
IMG_7763.JPGIMG_7763.JPG

Cut, trimmed and edge polished the piece that holds all the scoring mechs and back box lighting.
IMG_7769.JPGIMG_7769.JPG

#546 9 years ago

Polished up some more misc. parts for the score mech panel. Note the one piece with the purple looking edge. If you are buying poly from a shop here's the clue that they are not ripping you off. Real poly will have that darkish tint to the edges. Plain acrylic always looks clear. Even when rough cut it looks the same.
IMG_7771.JPGIMG_7771.JPG

More...
IMG_7772.JPGIMG_7772.JPG

#551 9 years ago

Back door for head. Drilling the lock hole. 3/4" spade bit.
IMG_7802.JPGIMG_7802.JPG

Looking good.
IMG_7803.JPGIMG_7803.JPG

Added some pieces across the back to make the door "thicker." Remember, it is replacing the galvanized piece which had thick sides. To make it sit well in the track I had to add some so it would not shift around.
IMG_7806.JPGIMG_7806.JPG

#553 9 years ago

One piece up top and one for each side to keep the door panel from caving in. Tomorrow I'll install the latch on the top so it can be locked. These were made from the leftovers of the piece that went at the front of the head to hold in the back glass. Will have to purchase a new lift channel for my backglass as the one on the original back glass has apparently been glued on. Really??? Yep.

IMG_7805.JPGIMG_7805.JPG IMG_7807.JPGIMG_7807.JPG
#555 9 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Are you still worried about the weight, and cracking around the legs?

Not as much as I was. It's been on the legs for a couple of months now and getting shoved around the garage with no problems. The guy(s) that designed the modern leg attachment system knew what they were doing. It is essentially a big corner clamp that puts a lot of the weight into the sides and off of the bolts. I doubt there is near as much shear weight on the bolts as I thought there might be.

I did design a H-shaped frame that would have been welded onto each leg with angle iron running front to back to support the weight. With that I might have worried less, but it would have been stiff as hell. I am relatively confident that all will be well, but I intend to have the local pinsiders come over and play the heck out of it once completed. I would much rather it fail here than at a show.

#557 9 years ago

Latch/lock mech complete.

IMG_7834.JPGIMG_7834.JPG IMG_7837.JPGIMG_7837.JPG IMG_7838.JPGIMG_7838.JPG
#561 9 years ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

Very Interesting! You must bring it to the Texas Pinball Festival after you get it all finished!

That's the goal.

Quoted from KingNine:

Do you think It'll be ready for the Houston show in November?

I expect to be done in a month or two, barring any disasters or, you know, life getting in the way. If I can swing the time off, I intend to bring it to Houston. That's a short drive for me and we've yet to attend that show. Would be fun.

#567 9 years ago

That IS an interesting way to attach legs. Very relevant here. Never even considered doing something like that. It would certainly be more supportive of the game.

As for the game itself, well that's a whole other topic that practically writes itself. (Fancy a game of "Baby in the Hole?" That's what she said!!) Oy-vey...

#568 9 years ago

Time to whip out the ol' human CNC again...

IMG_7990.JPGIMG_7990.JPG IMG_7992.JPGIMG_7992.JPG IMG_7993.JPGIMG_7993.JPG
#570 9 years ago

Step 1, drill all the holes and four corner all the cut outs. On the press when I can, by hand when I can't.
IMG_8013.JPGIMG_8013.JPG

A side shot of the holes and cut outs through the polished side. One can also see the sabre saw blade as I get ready to do the rough cut outs. The fine cut will be done with the router using a 1/2" bottom bearing bit to follow the outline of the original.
IMG_8014.JPGIMG_8014.JPG

Getting ready to route.
IMG_8018.JPGIMG_8018.JPG

Here's how it works -
IMG_8019.JPGIMG_8019.JPG

#572 9 years ago

So good it's almost like cheating. Almost.
IMG_8020.JPGIMG_8020.JPG
IMG_8021.JPGIMG_8021.JPG

Done and done.
IMG_8022.JPGIMG_8022.JPG

A quick side by side. Now comes the"fun" part.
IMG_8023.JPGIMG_8023.JPG

#575 9 years ago

Runway lights. The airfield at my base went LED and they were just tossing these out. I grabbed a buttload of the older true cobalt blue ones. They're purty. I'm certain one will end up in a pin at some point...

#576 9 years ago

Order of build problem #1 - The holes in this should have been aligned and drilled before assembly. Lesson learned and noted.
IMG_8024.JPGIMG_8024.JPG

Here's the easy solution. No one in my rinky-dink town had one with a mini chuck at the end so I had to get a few bits to go with it.
IMG_8025.JPGIMG_8025.JPG

Marking for depth,
IMG_8028.JPGIMG_8028.JPG

Aaaaaaaaaand Bob's your Uncle! (Or actually a great uncle in my case, but that's too much of a mouthful.)
IMG_8029.JPGIMG_8029.JPG

#577 9 years ago

Here's the payoff. Now to just add in the light guards...
IMG_8030.JPGIMG_8030.JPG

#578 9 years ago

Order of build problem #2. I REALLY should have drilled and routed these before cutting them out. Would have saved me a world of trouble and all the risk potential of close order drilling. The four for the player number were, but the others were not. Noted, lesson learned.
IMG_8031.JPGIMG_8031.JPG
IMG_8032.JPGIMG_8032.JPG

These were done right. No way I was going to try and hold these while drilling. (I really need a heavy mounted clamp for my press...)
IMG_8033.JPGIMG_8033.JPG

These will be welded into place right after I drill the holes for the score mechs. Then reassembly!
IMG_8068.JPGIMG_8068.JPG
IMG_8069.JPGIMG_8069.JPG

#582 9 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

how heavy is this machine going to be when completed. I looks like it's going to be a monster

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I can see a nut exploding picking up the head alone.

Yes on both counts. Moving and setup on this sucker will be a team effort.

#585 9 years ago

Back box relay board.
IMG_8073.JPGIMG_8073.JPG
IMG_8074.JPGIMG_8074.JPG

#605 9 years ago

I'll post weights as portions are completed. (I'm dying to know myself.) Should have all but the playfield by the end of the weekend. I guess I decided to save the best for last. Still having a little trouble getting a good polish back into the poly, but I'm sure it'll come together. Probably gonna be a "the enemy of good is better" kind of moment.

#608 9 years ago

Took the morning off to throw these together for my big brother in thanks for his help setting up and tearing down at TPF this year. He's a huge Trekkie and has now been bit by the pinball bug.
IMG_8281.JPGIMG_8281.JPG
IMG_8285.JPGIMG_8285.JPG

#609 9 years ago

(In my best Forrest Gump imitation) "It happens.... 'What, shit?' ...sometimes."
Not sure what is more amazing. That these snap so easily or that I have only broken four so far?
IMG_8289.JPGIMG_8289.JPG

#611 9 years ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Hey, that night light idea is AWESOME!

Not my idea. There's a vendor that sells them at TPF, I just copied. Easily done.

#612 9 years ago

Hold onto your shorts...

IMG_8298.JPGIMG_8298.JPG IMG_8300.JPGIMG_8300.JPG IMG_8309.JPGIMG_8309.JPG
#613 9 years ago

"Money shot" of the day.

IMG_8306.JPGIMG_8306.JPG IMG_8311.JPGIMG_8311.JPG IMG_8305.JPGIMG_8305.JPG
#621 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Nice yard....

Ha! I spent a lot of years 'keeping up with the Jones' with a beautiful lawn in VA. Too old for that crap now. Xeriscaping rocks. Literally.

#635 9 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

One word Fanplastic!

Nice one. I love a good pun.

Quoted from Daniml:

I may have missed it somewhere but do you plan on making a frosted BG as well?

BG is tempered glass and will have a combo of paint and decal work.

Quoted from Zitt:

Don't see a PF installed in that cabinet. so.... he's still working on it.

All that's really left is to populate the playfield and crane it into place. After that, just a gazillion details, lighting, touch ups, cleaning, polishing and cleaning. Weights to follow...

#637 9 years ago

Not too impressive, to tell the truth. Head = 90#s. Body, minus playfield and associated parts = 181#s. Unpopulated playfields: old wood = 10#s. New polycarbonate = 17#s. Probably gonna end up around 325-330 or so. Ho-hum. I guess it'll have to be impressive on looks alone.

#640 9 years ago

Change 2. The scores on this machine run six digits. The last two zeros are not reels, but rounded inserts. Thusly, the lowest score on the machine is 100. To add the two plastic zeros at the end of each score reel will just make less guts visible and serves no real purpose other than score inflation. I think I will leave them off. Everything will work the same and no one will be the wiser. The only real change would be the numbers for match will go from multiples of 100 to single digits.
IMG_79911.jpgIMG_79911.jpg

#652 9 years ago

The playfield graphics and any scoring reference in the rule cards would certainly be fixed accordingly. (Along with the labels for the scoring relays.) My opinion is that it would detract more than it would add. (Note to self - any future endeavors of this kind shall begin with a single score donor machine. Double at the worst.) Your opinions are certainly welcome, asked for or not. I have taken some suggestions here... others, not so much! I have to say that Pinside has the most entertaining forums I have ever read. Some of yous guys should be professional commode-ians.

Side note: A quick vacay here for the 4 day weekend. Sadly, I will get the opportunity to checkout Fargo Pinball in person as I will be in the Great White North for a nephews graduation. On a Sunday. Of Memorial Day weekend. Really, Mayville? Jeez... Anyways, looking forward to some quality time with Rudy, WOZ and Kirk! (Oh, and family too.)

#654 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Take a coat with you.

Coat hell! I'm taking long johns and electric socks! LOL

#658 9 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

you may have mentioned it, but what were you paying for 3/4"? haven't purchased in awhile and heard it's gone through the roof.

I'd have to check my receipts, but I am thinking around $16 or 17 per sqft? I found it cheaper online, but shipping always killed that. Locally available is also inspectable before purchase.

Yeah, well... just not my favorite part of the country, and my sis will probably never leave there. I see where I lucked out with the weather and am happy as heck about that. It's funny that people who have lived down here all their lives are curious as to 'what it's like' up there. I tell them that aside from the 50 degree temp difference it is pretty much the same. Everyone has a weird accent and there are signs in the Qwik Mart that say "No foreign money, please!"

#660 9 years ago

Loved my days in Halifax, eh! Went to check out Fargo Pinball, nobody's home.

#665 9 years ago
Quoted from BadBrick:

You are insane and it rocks! What a work of art!!!
I think you should include the dummy zeroes. The first time I saw those in a pinball machine I thought it was a clever trick and I felt like I had learned a secret. Isn't this whole project sort of intended to expose the "secrets" inside a pinball machine?
Either way thanks so much for sharing this process with us.

Excellent point. Now i'm thinking about it again, durn it!

#669 9 years ago

The voice I hear it in...

indianajones.jpgindianajones.jpg

#673 9 years ago

So whilst it was disassembled for the weighing and such, I figured I might as well go ahead and get the cab lighting under control as I could flip it over and do a good job of it. Or just make it easy on myself. Take your pick!

Here's a close-up of the RGB strip I am using in this application.
IMG_8462.JPGIMG_8462.JPG

After being secured to the underside of the casing, these S/S channels will be put in place to protect the strip as well as the bottom of the cabinet. And it'll look good. Hopefully.

IMG_8464.JPGIMG_8464.JPG
#674 9 years ago

The strip wouldn't exactly bend around the corners, so I had to separate it into 4 pieces and connect those to each other with wire. Fortunately, it's designed to do just that. Start by cutting here.
IMG_8463.JPGIMG_8463.JPG

Clean, tin and solder-
IMG_8465.JPGIMG_8465.JPG

Corner problem solved. Voila.
IMG_8466.JPGIMG_8466.JPG

#691 9 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Yet again another BONER ! thanks

TMI, but thanks.

Quoted from epthegeek:

I love how it looks lit up. Not a huge fan of the fast color cycle, personally.

Yeah, that's just one of the pre-programmed cycles it comes with. Eventually it will just slowly cycle through 4 or 5 colors I think set it off the best. Completely adjustable, including cycle speed.

#692 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Don't think the old style bumper caps will fit the new style body ...

New style? Here's one of the originals...
old style.jpgold style.jpg

#693 9 years ago

4 down, 2 to go. Did I mention a HATE polishing? AAaaaarrrrrrgggggg!!!!!
Yes, I did polish the insides too. Because I will know it. Installation then reassembly.
IMG_8478.JPGIMG_8478.JPG

#701 9 years ago

Aah. That's better.

Dontcha wish your pinball was hot. Like. Mine?
Dontcha wish your pinball was a freak. Like. Mine?
Dontcha?
Dontcha?

#703 9 years ago

Eeyeaaaahhhhhh. This bitch is going to be the Belle of the Ball. Prize or no, it'll damn sure be the most photographed.

#717 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

I am SOOOO looking forward to the Houston show! If you don't bring it I do believe pandamonium would ensue. Mass hysteria. Dogs and cats living together...

Who ya gonna call!! Well, Houston is the next goal but then TPF was the last one and we all know what happened there. Seriously though, it's looking good.

Quoted from vid1900:

I'm so hard right now.

Damn, I'm good!

Quoted from labnip:

Can you put fish in it yet ?

gcNO.jpggcNO.jpg

Quoted from DennisDodel:

Really, really impressive! I'd love to do this to a Magic Screen bingo someday but I think drilling the 25 concave playfield holes might be a problem. Not to mention the 300+ lb weight of the head.

Oof! Bingo machines weigh enough as it is. Drilling is easy, just a slower prospect. And all those relays? Wow. It'd look really cool, though... I have seen a number of bingos in different places but they are never playable. Would love to play one someday, but not enough to want to buy one. I would assume they are a PITA to fix and to move.

#720 9 years ago

So after a good milestone weekend, I settled in to cover a few more mundane tasks I have been ignoring while in pursuit of greater things. I finished mounting all the door hardware, flipper buttons, tilt mechs, ball select and the game start button. First, though, I had to make me a cheating jig. Wrong holes are easy to fix in wood...
IMG_8487.JPGIMG_8487.JPG

There. Now we can make the holes in the right place consistently.
IMG_8488.JPGIMG_8488.JPG

Tar-dar!
IMG_8489.JPGIMG_8489.JPG

#721 9 years ago

The rest of it.

IMG_8491.JPGIMG_8491.JPG IMG_8520.JPGIMG_8520.JPG IMG_8521.JPGIMG_8521.JPG IMG_8522.JPGIMG_8522.JPG
#723 9 years ago

Ok, ok. One last milestone. But only the one, then it's bedtime for this weekend. (Warning: EM gurus will start posting troubleshooting instructions in 3...2...1...)

#737 9 years ago
Quoted from Manhattan:

Now will someone near MK1MOD0 drop off an HD Video Camera for him to use?

Hey! At least I'm not using a phone! LOL

O/T I cannot say no to all weekend, so I'm getting at what I can during the week. Hakko 808? Check. It's almost like cheating. Almost.

And this too. Whoever came up with it I thank from the bottom of my frustrated fingers. This has saved me so much time and effort it is almost like cheating. Almost.
IMG_8722.JPGIMG_8722.JPG
IMG_8725.JPGIMG_8725.JPG
IMG_8727.JPGIMG_8727.JPG

#738 9 years ago

Installed the last item on the backboard, my newly acquired match motor. A pound of solder and a mile of shrink tube, STAT!!
IMG_8730.JPGIMG_8730.JPG

1 week later
#742 9 years ago

Summer is back in south Texas. Damn. So last week I went ahead and mounted and wired up the match unit. A big PITA but I got through it. I asked the fellow Pinsider who sold it to me to leave on plenty of extra wire as mine seemed to have been cut right at the unit. (Poorly cut I might add.) After getting it all together and testing it, I came to two conclusions.
1. The unit works great.
2. It looks like complete ass. Like a three year old did it. In a hurry. Even some strategically placed zip strips won't clean this up. In the interest of complete, um, "transparency," I offer these pictures for your ridicule and derision.

IMG_8798.JPGIMG_8798.JPG

IMG_8799.JPGIMG_8799.JPG

#744 9 years ago

So being as it's my machine and I can and will do as I please, I moved the unit close enough to the wire harness to avoid all but 1 or 2 connections and soldered the old wires directly to the unit. Tar-dar. Better.

IMG_8802.JPGIMG_8802.JPG
IMG_8803.JPGIMG_8803.JPG

#745 9 years ago

The fake zeros are back. Still not sure I like them, but I feel they should be there.

IMG_8805.JPGIMG_8805.JPG

#746 9 years ago

Final step for the back board - light surrounds on the controlled lamps. Lookin' good. Tomorrow I hope to finish up the back box. LEDs, brackets and associated wiring and plugs, top catch for back glass and vents. Then all that will be left is the play field.
IMG_8807.JPGIMG_8807.JPG

#750 9 years ago

This morning I epoxied on the upper backglass keeper piece which is from the original cabinet. There will be two pieces from the cabinet installed. This one and a small piece that the knocker will plunge to.
IMG_8820.JPGIMG_8820.JPG
IMG_8821.JPGIMG_8821.JPG

#751 9 years ago

Next I put the box back on and idd a test fit with the backglass glass. A little trimming here and there and voila. First time in.
IMG_8869.JPGIMG_8869.JPG

#752 9 years ago

Now to get to work on the LEDS. Got the brackets shined and ready to go. Just need to do a little wiring and mounting.

Post edited by Mk1Mod0: Double post eliminated with needless bantering.

#757 9 years ago

Making (head)way. A little disappointing but I'll keep working on it. I wasn't sure how well the light would translate across the scoreboard because of all the big square holes. Not too much, it seems. May have to add some lighting to the other side. The lights up the side don't go far at all due to my construction technique. May not be able to do a damn thing about that.

IMG_9074.JPGIMG_9074.JPG
IMG_9078.JPGIMG_9078.JPG

#762 9 years ago

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll find a way to get over it. Meanwhile, I'll install plugs to keep the head and scoreboard removable and then it's on to the playfield. Last major construction on this sucker. Then it is nothing but details...

#766 9 years ago

OK! Mass of wires, check. Much plug confusion, check. Exploding head ache? Check! But now it is all wired up and I have the ability to separate the head from the body and the scoreboard from the head. Whew!

#767 9 years ago

Now comes the "fun" part. I have already had half of the GI done up so those holes are already there. Just will be grounding it all with the tape to make it 2 tons easier on myself. Getting closer to the goal...

IMG_9134.JPGIMG_9134.JPG IMG_9135.JPGIMG_9135.JPG IMG_9136.JPGIMG_9136.JPG
#773 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It's so amazing that I am confident people would PAY you to bring it to shows.

Thanks! That would be awesome, but there are a lot of amazing machines out there. Part of the point is that it's so unusual there are only 3 others that I know of, and I'll probably never get out to the PPM to see them. (And I figured the easy solution was to make one? Oye...) Same with lots of other folks. I'll be very happy just to get it out there for others to see.

Quoted from Thunder424:

I can't wait to see the finished product!

Me too! LOL

Quoted from songofsixpence:

It's really beautiful! But is it wrong for me to already be looking forward to your next project? Maybe a solid state?

I am. It'll be nice to get back to wood. Wonderful, inexpensive, easy to fix/fill/sand/finish wood. While this thread will never really go away, at some point this machine will be "done" and I will move on to other things. As stated earlier, the next project is a combo with Space Invaders and EBD, two of my favorite pins from my "golden era." By doing two at once(instead of one then the other), I can save time rearranging the garage for the different processes. These will be complete teardowns with home made stencils and maybe an overlay or two. Still working on the thread title. Side by side? Grail X2? Cowboys vs. Aliens?

#776 9 years ago

Replaced all coil sleeves, cleaned the living(and dead) crap outa everything. Hate this part...

IMG_9278.JPGIMG_9278.JPG IMG_9279.JPGIMG_9279.JPG
#779 9 years ago

So this morning I go to continue cleaning up the playfield machinery when I remember that I have to fix this.
IMG_9287.JPGIMG_9287.JPG

No big deal. I have the means to fix this, but then I had a thought. Yesterday I managed to fling one of my parts off of the polisher and across the garage into a black hole from which there was no return. I immediately turned to my favorite donor, my (not quite fully populated) Williams Super Star playfield and two minutes later I had an exact duplicate. Maybe it has a duplicate flipper mount? Of course the answer is no, but maybe it's got something better?

20 minutes of drilling and one spare piece of plexi later, I realize that the original flippers will look like this from above.
IMG_9286.JPGIMG_9286.JPG

SNORE!! So then I see that the Super Star flipper assemblies will look like this. Much better!
IMG_9285.JPGIMG_9285.JPG

#780 9 years ago

This will work, I think. So now I'll make a drill/mount pattern from light cardboard to facilitate transferring the parts to the poly playfield.
IMG_9284.JPGIMG_9284.JPG

#783 9 years ago

Both coils are the same. They are 20-300/28-400. The first number refers to the flipping coil and the second refers to the hold coil. The blue is the Williams version from the Super Star and the beige is the Segasa version from the Super Straight. Just sounds super, doesn't it?

#784 9 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

I will say that it does look better. Just beware of Feature Creep!

Feature Creep? Like LED lights? LOL

1 week later
#789 9 years ago

Insert decals completed and going on. Clearcoat to follow and then population. Meanwhile I'm ordering last minute necessities like spring kits, bumper parts, rings, etc., etc. But first, vacation, baby. Family, fishing and fun in Colorado and Phoenix. 1UP for the umpteenth time and LCP for the first time. Fresh trout, pinball and cold Coors. Don't get much better!

#792 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

think you might bring it to the houston event ?

Absolutely! Was looking over that info this weekend. Looks like a fun time! Also a short drive for me, so how could I say no? Once I get a little closer to finish I'll sign up for it.

1 week later
#794 9 years ago

So, vacation is over, but it is hard to get motivated when one has a bad case of "COL." (Cat On Lap)
IMG_9661.JPGIMG_9661.JPG

But seriously, after hashing it over in my mind for awhile, I have determined that the next step is to add the decals to the playfield and clear it. Ran off a paper trial to see how they looked.
IMG_9667.JPGIMG_9667.JPG

Started out cutting the insert decals with this neat circle cutter stolen from the wife's craft room. Great for anything from 1"-6". 3/4" not so much.
IMG_9668.JPGIMG_9668.JPG

Also, getting the edge exact is a bit of a guessing game. Gotta be a better way.
IMG_9671.JPGIMG_9671.JPG

#795 9 years ago

Better way found. This bugga cuts exact 3/4" and 1" circles. Just flip it over and see the alignment. Cake!
IMG_9672.JPGIMG_9672.JPG
IMG_9673.JPGIMG_9673.JPG

Went ahead and ran off a sheet on clear and a sheet on white. Set printer for glossy photo paper. The next step is to clear it, cut it and attach to the playfield. Using Papillo paper and spray coating. After attaching to the playfield, I will be clearing with the Spraymax 2K. Results report to follow...
IMG_9675.JPGIMG_9675.JPG

#797 9 years ago

http://www.walmart.com/ip/32830141?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Love this thing. It'll cut a perfect circle from 1-6" and is marked off in 1/16" increments. You can usually find it local at Walmart, Michaels or maybe Hobby Lobby. So easy a two year old can use it. (Yeah, that includes me.)

#800 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I did not see anything like the little blue device shown in the photo above.
The link looks like it goes to a different product.

OK, you are talking about the one I ended up using. That is a Creative Memories product that is no longer produced. You may be able to find them on E-Pay at inflated prices from resellers. If I drop this one again the wife will probably take it away from me and I won't have one either.

http://www.amazon.com/EK-tools-Circle-Punch-1-Inch/dp/B00C90WM14/ref=sr_1_9

Looks like EK makes them singly in 1" and 3/4" as well as other sizes. Can't comment on the quality...

#803 9 years ago

I thought you said you had a Silhouette cutter, so why manually cut out anything? In mine, if I arrange the printing so that it has registration marks and lay it all out in the program, I can get the Sillouette to cut perfectly.

True enough. So far I have not been able to accomplish this. Always seems to be just so slightly misaligned.

#805 9 years ago

See, that would require "reading instructions" and who has time that? Seriously, though, there was just too much to lose and my sked is getting tight so I chose at this point to just git 'er done. Got all those pesky inserts covered tonight and it's not too bad. Rest of the verbiage tomorrow and with luck I'll clear it this weekend.

IMG_9678.JPGIMG_9678.JPG
#808 9 years ago

Spray Max 2K? Two opposable thumbs up! So easy a monkey could do it. Letting it set for the night, pics tomorrow.

#809 9 years ago

Apparently this monkey is NOT smart enough. Currently re-evaluating products and processes...

IMG_9686.JPGIMG_9686.JPG IMG_9687.JPGIMG_9687.JPG IMG_9689.JPGIMG_9689.JPG
#811 9 years ago

Yep! Peeled clean off. I had earlier attempted to polish the piece clear with up to 2k grit wet paper. I think that was the biggest problem. Better to figure that out now.

#813 9 years ago

I did manage to feel better after opening up the pack o' love I got from PBR earlier this week. They got what I need when I need it. That's what makes them one of the best.

IMG_9697.JPGIMG_9697.JPG
#817 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What grit did you sand the playfield with before clearing it?

I didn't.

Quoted from Zitt:

I'd think you'd want 500-800 grit surface for the clear to adhere to.
Not an expert tho.

Yup. 600 seems to be a popular number for this.

#825 9 years ago

So far, so good. Where it has already started to peel I can get a good sized chunk to come off. And what comes off is mostly all of it. Like gooey, really flexible mylar. There may be just remnants of the initial "mist coat" being left behind but it scrapes off with a fingernail. So once I get back to zero, I'll sand at 600 and try again. I want to try the Spray Max 2K again before I go to a pro. Maybe spray a coat, give it an hour, light sand and spray again? I tried to sand/buff some of what was left on just to see how it would do and it loaded the paper in no time flat. Like it never fully cured between coats. Wondering if all our humidity has something to do with that?

Wow. So much love for my bed spread. I can feel it!

Taking suggestions for how to clean up the lighting wiring. I need a way to (neatly)plug 4 wires from 4 places into one source. Any thoughts?

#831 9 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

I could not help myself cause this is such a great project.

From the Dupont website description for Plas-Stick - Do not use to clean ABS or Lexan; (polycarbonate).
I appreciate the help but it ain't gonna work.

Quoted from Zitt:

UV helps cure my clearcoat; so I let mine flash in the sun.

Flashtime is supposed to be 8-15 minutes depending upon temp. It also states that U/V would facilitate the flash time happening. When I read that, I pictured U/V bulbs that I don't have. Duh. The sun.

Quoted from BMHouze:

I am still wondering if you're going to do the artwork on the play field like the sides and the header. While I'm at it I may as well inquire into if you'll do it for the back glass.
Inquiring minds want to know.

As (somewhat) previously discussed, to blast the graphics onto the top of the playfield and then clear it would probably negate the work. Putting mylar over it would look like ass. Blasting the graphics underneath would make for horrible alignment issues. At this point the decals and paint, while not great, seem to be the best option. Same for the backglass. Graphics will be minimized to the necessities to maximize the view inside which is the point. (Side note - I will be doing a test piece of sandblasted poly while clearing the PF to see what actually happens for future reference.)

As for the "rug," it's a (fake) mink blanket bought while stationed overseas. Super soft and it makes for a great comforter. The cats love it as well.

Quoted from BMHouze:

How can you all blame the rug it ties the whole room together....

Exactly!

394 posts in this topic match your search for posts by mk1mod0. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk1mod0.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-acrylic-pinball-project-i-am-clearly-insane?tu=mk1mod0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.