20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 27.
#401 10 years ago

Better get this done before it's time to start mowing the lawn.....errr...."rake" the lawn......

#402 10 years ago

<3

#403 10 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Great project. I just wonder why you routed the playfield inserts. If you would not cut out the insert hole and place a lamp below you will still see wether the lamp is on or off. All you need to do is color the inserts on the overlay, if they had color.

Wanted to use all the original parts I could while merely replacing all the wood with acrylic. And to see if I could do it.

Quoted from retired_user_101:

glad you're still planning to bring to dallas show.
was going to ask if you could bring if, even though you had stopped work on it to get other pins ready.

We'll see... it's getting there.

#404 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Better get this done before it's time to start mowing the lawn.....errr...."rake" the lawn......

You know, I used to make fun of it but now I am all about the xeriscaping. I spent years when I lived in VA Beach keeping a perfect lawn with my neighbors. Down here I would consider that a waste of water. Bonus: no Sundays mowing, edging, raking, bagging, seeding, feeding, etc...

#405 10 years ago

Are you going to lay down a sheet of mylar or something to protect from ball scratching the surface?

Way to cool! yes you are clearly insane!! It is looking amazing!!!

#406 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Are you going to lay down a sheet of mylar or something to protect from ball scratching the surface?

If you put a high end ball in there and wax it with good wax....

I highly recomend collonite #885... you should have no problems on that surface...

#407 10 years ago

"...hmmm sure hope that pin comes to dallas..."

dog-beg-2.jpegdog-beg-2.jpeg

#408 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

There is a sheet of mylar relaxing in the next room as I type. Doing decals for play field markings and then mylar over the top.

Quoted from Gerry:

If you put a high end ball in there and wax it with good wax....
I highly recomend collonite #885... you should have no problems on that surface...

I figured it was just a matter of time. The more I ignored the "waxed balls" thread, the more likely it was that it would come find me...

#409 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

There is a sheet of mylar relaxing in the next room as I type. Doing decals for play field markings and then mylar over the top.

I figured it was just a matter of time. The more I ignored the "waxed balls" thread, the more likely it was that it would come find me...

not wax the ball, wax the PF...

The wax i mentioned above is a clear paste wax that is amazing..

I have been using it for years it is made for marine and gel coat, but i use it on everything...

Its great on high end classic car paintwork and so forth...

that acrylic would be fine forever....

#410 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

The wax i mentioned above is a clear paste wax that is amazing..
I have been using it for years it is made for marine and gel coat, but i use it on everything...
Its great on high end classic car paintwork and so forth...
that acrylic would be fine forever....

Yeah it seems a shame to put mylar over that clear surface. Heck you can see the scuffs and imperfections on the mylar even over colored pf's with super busy art. Imagine how all the imperfections will show up on a clear pf...

#411 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

wax-on-wax-off.gifwax-on-wax-off.gif

#412 10 years ago

I have a Tx-Sector whitewood, and the PF is covered in 1 big giant piece of crytal clear mylar before the PF was assembled..thats how they did it when the built it..

It was the last WWPF bulit for teesting before production started...

On the mylar on every insert it is marked with a sharpie as to what each insert is, and it has held up great.. if anything is gonna wear off it will be the sharpie...

I took this game to both York 2 yrs ago for free play, and then directly to EXPO. and it was played to death...

With the wax i use in all of that play and till this day i only have one word showing the faint signs of wear on the mylar..

This Collinite # 885 is responsible for how well it has lasted, and it gets played alot be my BF and i as well as his whole family...

I think it would be a shame to mylar the acrylid PF but that is my opinion...

i think it will hold up great on its own...

#413 10 years ago

Looking into it... I'd rather not mylar it, myself, but am getting short on time. Originally, I was going to spot blast the areas where words go and then paint them in and clear coat. Found making stencils for words that small while not impossible, would be difficult at best. My best option at this point is to do the words on white background decal paper. I believe it will give me the look I want, but I have to protect it. Will have to do some quick experimenting to see if that can be waxed without destroying it. Either that or I go with no verbiage on the play field. Not a desirable option either.

#414 10 years ago

Collinite will absoulutely 100% NOT damage that PF...

#415 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I figured it was just a matter of time. The more I ignored the "waxed balls" thread, the more likely it was that it would come find me.

Sorry, that was my doing.

#416 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Collinite will absoulutely 100% NOT damage that PF...

Not worried about the polycarbonate, worried about the decals...

#417 10 years ago

i use the collinite 885 and the ball just flies around the pf. i played the hell out of it and it is still just as smooth as when i put it on.

#418 10 years ago

Could you print the writing on clear decal paper in reverse and put them on the underside of the PF?

#419 10 years ago

What did you end up using for the play field? Acrylic or polycarbonate? From what I've read, poly is tougher, but scratches easier than acrylic. Go figure.

#420 10 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

Could you print the writing on clear decal paper in reverse and put them on the underside of the PF?

I thought about this too, but didn't think it would work because the image would appear distorted and offset because you would have to look through 1/2" of acrylic to see it.

#421 10 years ago

Have you considered printing the artwork/text on a clear laminate and then finding a clearcoat compatible with that laminate and just applying many (5) layers of clear? I would think that would be enough to protect the full size decal sheet, especially if you plan on waxing the clear frequently. I'd make sure you get the right clearcoat though - epoxy vs. urethanes can have significantly effects on different materials.

#422 10 years ago

I'd probably decal the playfield, then add a 1/16" clear overlay to protect it.

#423 10 years ago

Clearly you are more sane then you previously led us to believe.
Looks very cool cannot wait to see finished project.

#424 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Looking into it... I'd rather not mylar it, myself, but am getting short on time. Originally, I was going to spot blast the areas where words go and then paint them in and clear coat. Found making stencils for words that small while not impossible, would be difficult at best. My best option at this point is to do the words on white background decal paper. I believe it will give me the look I want, but I have to protect it. Will have to do some quick experimenting to see if that can be waxed without destroying it. Either that or I go with no verbiage on the play field. Not a desirable option either.

You already invested a lot into this, so maybe this suggestion won't be too expensive for you. You can get a cheap plotter/die cutter and cut the stencils out of vinyl or whatever with your computer and get very fine detail pretty quickly.

I own this one and like it a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-SILHOUETTE-PORTRAIT-Portrait/dp/B009GZUPFA/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1

There's a wider one for more: http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Electronic-Cutting-Designer-Software/dp/B007XWY5VI/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_16

The software is pretty easy to use.

Edit: Even if you go the printed decals route, this can cut them out for your perfectly. You're able to print an image and then specify how it should be cut relative to some registration marks.

#425 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

You already invested a lot into this, so maybe this suggestion won't be too expensive for you.

IMG_6728.JPGIMG_6728.JPG

Waaaaay back on page three you can see the work I did making stencils with my Cameo. My point is that the playfield letters are 1/4" and 1/8". It will cut them, but the weeding and usage would probably be more frustration than fruitful.

Well, y'all screamed loudly and I heard ya. The mylar is out and the wax is in. The results of my unscientific experiment are quite clear. I am also going with the white backed decals. It is really close to the look I was going for anyways.

#426 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Waaaaay back on page three you can see the work I did making stencils with my Cameo. My point is that the playfield letters are 1/4" and 1/8". It will cut them, but the weeding and usage would probably be more frustration than fruitful.
Well, y'all screamed loudly and I heard ya. The mylar is out and the wax is in. The results of my unscientific experiment are quite clear. I am also going with the white backed decals. It is really close to the look I was going for anyways.

IMG_6728.JPG 147 KB

Ah, so you've already got one. You don't think having it cut out the words on adhesive vinyl would work for a sandblasting stencil? Whenever I cut out letters I also cut a rectangle around the entire word. Most of the time I can pull the entire rectangle out and adhere everything and then remove what I need to. That helps with the isolated bits like the center of an "O" or whatever. I would think the sandblasting would be the way to go based on what you've done with it already. Would the letters and such even need to be black? Could the PF be edge-lit?

At the end of the day, it will be awesome no matter how you do it. I'm just a spectator and ultimately my opinion means nothing.

#427 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

At the end of the day, it will be awesome no matter how you do it. I'm just a spectator and ultimately my opinion means nothing.

I take all advice seriously and actually heed some of it! LOL This place is a virtual plethora of useful (and useless) information. (Not to mention the repository of boob pics and ball jokes.)

Today I finished polishing out the ball shooter lane guides and top arc. With any luck, tomorrow I will assemble the back box and begin to install play field inserts and lower machinery.

IMG_6729.JPGIMG_6729.JPG IMG_6730.JPGIMG_6730.JPG IMG_6731.JPGIMG_6731.JPG
#428 10 years ago

Looking great!

Do you have something to put on the playfield to protect it from ball scratches? Please forgive me if this was already covered. Something like those thin lexan playfield protectors that Pinball life sells? That way once it is all scratched up you can just pull that out and replace it?

Chris

#429 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Looking great!
Do you have something to put on the playfield to protect it from ball scratches? Please forgive me if this was already covered. Something like those thin lexan playfield protectors that Pinball life sells? That way once it is all scratched up you can just pull that out and replace it?
Chris

Maybe if he uses one of those glo balls it won't scratch as much as a steel ball, or maybe he can find a clear plastic ball. I think he already stated he's using a mylar but don't remember.

#430 10 years ago

Mylar out, wax in. Collinite 885, designed to protect airplanes and speed boat hulls. And maybe playfields from what I hear.

#431 10 years ago

Sandblasting the sides of the back box so I can get it assembled. Had a nice visit yesterday from fellow pinsider raddroxx. Nice to chat about pinball and the local scene thereof. All seven or eight of us. Yeah, it's sad.

IMG_6737.JPGIMG_6737.JPG
#432 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Mylar out, wax in. Collinite 885, designed to protect airplanes and speed boat hulls. And maybe playfields from what I hear.

Good decision !

You will love that stuff it rules !

#433 10 years ago

A big thanks to fellow pinsider Barron who was parting out a Faces and made sure I was aware so I could purchase the last piece needed to complete this project, the match unit. Kinda hard to come by. Thanks again!

IMG_6738.JPGIMG_6738.JPG
#434 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I take all advice seriously and actually heed some of it! LOL This place is a virtual plethora of useful (and useless) information. (Not to mention the repository of boob pics and ball jokes.)
Today I finished polishing out the ball shooter lane guides and top arc. With any luck, tomorrow I will assemble the back box and begin to install play field inserts and lower machinery.

IMG_6729.JPG 146 KB

IMG_6730.JPG 144 KB

IMG_6731.JPG 116 KB

I know I keep saying it, but that looks so badass!

#435 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I know I keep saying it, but that looks so badass!

Yes it is!

I'm always hoping this thread is updated every time I log on to Pinside.

#437 10 years ago

Wow that's real cool.

An EM game so needs to been seen by people. As a software engineer I am more impressed with the EM way of keeping score mechanically then the SS eras. Looking inside a EM machine is impressive.

You will have one of who knows how many (2?) in the world?

#438 10 years ago

coming along great. can't wait to see more, love this thread.

#439 10 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

You will have one of who knows how many (2?) in the world?

I believe PPM ,here in Alameda CA has 3. This one takes it up a notch w/ the acrylic playfield . Cool project , thanks for sharing.

#440 10 years ago

A banner weekend, indeed. Picking up play field and backglass glass tomorrow. Progressing nicely, deadline nearing. Thanks, TPF, for reminding me everyday on my Facebook page. Loudly. Meanwhile, any day I learn something new is pretty good:

1) 97% alcohol hurts. A lot. When squirted in ones eye. (Cue irrational fear of tall square bottles in 3...2...1...)
2) Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. (Not a new lesson, but readily re learned.
3) Work gloves are not useful as an afterthought.
4) I loathe my buffing wheel.
5) I should start buying Novus by the gallon.
6) This thing is gonna rock at TPF.

IMG_6747.JPGIMG_6747.JPG
IMG_6748.JPGIMG_6748.JPG

#441 10 years ago

man, i'm so jealous, this is crazy nice.

can't wait to see what it's gonna look like with the leds

#442 10 years ago

It's been said a 1000 times and it needs to be said again - This thing is awesome!

#443 10 years ago

Thanks yet again for another Boner !

#444 10 years ago

Sooooo coooooool! I can't wait to see it all lit up.

#446 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

6) This thing is gonna rock at TPF.

Yes! I'll be one of many marveling at this in person.

#447 10 years ago

I can't wait to see this thing at TPF. It is going to be worth the trip just to see it.

#448 10 years ago

Amazing workmanship. Thank you for sharing a lovely project with us.

#449 10 years ago

Shame the metal side armor is so huge on this model. I guess it's not possible to make the trim in acrylic to show off the machine better?

Looking super though - what a project!

#450 10 years ago

Wow! Looking forward to seeing this at TPF!

There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-acrylic-pinball-project-i-am-clearly-insane/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.