Topic Stats

• 1,333 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 487 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

_JPF1642 (resized).jpg
_JPF1644 (resized).jpg
20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
20150329_145546 (resized).jpg
IMG_6579_(resized).JPG
IMG_6576_(resized).JPG
IMG_6570_(resized).JPG
IMG_6573_(resized).JPG
IMG_6574_(resized).JPG

There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 27.
#351 6 years ago

Second task was to mate the old play field with the new material. Drilled through where the securing bolts were for the pops and flippers. Through bolted them. This will ensure that my alignment remains the same throughout the process. Even if I have to separate them and rejoin, I should not have any problems.

IMG_6411.JPG IMG_6413.JPG IMG_6414.JPG
#352 6 years ago

Had me until the spice girls reference. Barf

#353 6 years ago

Once that was done, I clamped it all down and began drilling. And drilling. And drilling some more.

The G.I. lights were the simplest. A single shot with the 7/16" plastic drill bit. Same for the flipper post holes.

Next, the small holes for the pop bumper light wires and the pass-throughs for a gate opener/closer wire and a spinner switch closing wire. Pre-drilled with a 1/8" plastic bit then drilled to size with a standard drill bit.

Then, there's everything else. Pop bumper body holes. Stand-up target holes. Feature light/insert holes. Kicker and slingshot holes. Switch slots. And so on, blah, blah, blah...

Holes larger than 7/16" got drilled and will be routed out with the bearing bit. Smaller ones got drilled with a 3/16" plastic bit and then routed out with a straight 3/16" router bit. The outer edge rim be routed with the flush cut bearing bit.

The last pic looks a little rough because not all have been routed to size yet and the ratty paper doesn't help. Still looking for something long, hard and skinny to mark the switch slots for routing. Mental note: vacuum more frequently. My 20 year old Craftsman mini-shop vac wasn't made for heroic feats. I wasted an inordinate amount of time today cleaning a clog of hot plastic out of the hose. Yeesh! Enjoy!!

IMG_6415.JPG IMG_6416.JPG IMG_6417.JPG IMG_6418.JPG IMG_6419.JPG
#354 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's how playfields were made before CNC, template and router.
What speed did you use?

Yeah, I'm picturing nice punched steel templates with little old ladies running air powered hand routers. I'm running around 20-25,000 depending on bit size. I say around 'cause the thing has speed settings 1 through 6.

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Had me until the spice girls reference. Barf

Just joshing with ya, dude. I was actually listening to ABBA, Cher and Amy Grant.

#356 6 years ago

Speaking of ABBA, you should see and hear the way Christie Love does "Dancing Queen". I did their show vid a few years ago...talk about HOT!!!

Boogie.JPG
#357 6 years ago

looks great, are you going with the red flipper buttons or eventually clear ones?

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Just joshing with ya, dude. I was actually listening to ABBA, Cher and Amy Grant.

Must be the Corpus sun bakin' your brain cells.
Looking good tho. Looks like I'm gonna have some competition at TPF.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Looks like I'm gonna have some competition at TPF.

Your two projects are what make me wish I could attend TPF...SO BADLY!!!

Keep it up, you two. Absolutely mind-boggling work on both your parts. I check in on each of your threads frequently.

Thanks for all the updates and documentation,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#360 6 years ago

Switch slots, graphics and a few other details and I'll start populating this bad boy. - Guess who's gonna be the first person to walk into a sharp acrylic corner and cut themselves? That's right, me! May have to cone it off for safety's sake.

IMG_6457.JPG
#361 6 years ago

I can't wait to see this project complete. This is so amazing!
You are gonna make a lot of videos aren't you?

#362 6 years ago

Corner It Off.. Dont let someone do it at tPf

#363 6 years ago

Been watching this one close.
Incredible work man, and best Pinside project thread EVER!

#364 6 years ago

looks fantastic. With drop targets, is there a way to make a clear set of drops? That would look fantastic.

#365 6 years ago

I used to live in Corpus Christi for a couple of years.
Nothing this cool was going on.

#366 6 years ago

I made one just like this a couple of years ago only every piece was clear. I just don't remember where in the game room I left it.icon_smile.gif

#367 6 years ago

Not sure if I missed this somewhere, but how will the inserts be prevented from sinking? Most playfields I've seen have a ridge in the wood where the insert rests, but I can't tell if you did that with your tracing bit.

#368 6 years ago

I think he routed out the inserts the same way the factory did, this guy has skills! Ad me to the long list of people who are really enjoying this thread. It must he hard deciding what to make clear and what to leave metal but so far I like the choices he's making.

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Guess who's gonna be the first person to walk into a sharp acrylic corner and cut themselves? That's right, me!

First rule of my shop: The project has not officially begun until you've bled all over it.

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I think he routed out the inserts the same way the factory did, this guy has skills! Ad me to the long list of people who are really enjoying this thread. It must he hard deciding what to make clear and what to leave metal but so far I like the choices he's making.

I used the old playfield as a template for the new and yes, there was a ridge the inserts sat on. I would have preferred to depth them the same with forstner bits but I don't have access to a drill press with that deep of a throat. The original inserts will be super glued in, then any gaps filled with the acrylic bonding agent. After graphics are completed, I am doing a mylar sheet over the whole deal. Should be OK.

Again, the idea is to replace all wood with acrylic. There will be ONE original wood part incorporated into this build.

#371 6 years ago

so badass.

#372 6 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

First rule of my shop: The project has not officially begun until you've bled all over it.

My families defintion of a project -- 2 of 3 conditions need to be met.
Bleeding
Swearing
More than 1 trip to the hardware store

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from bintzknocker:

My families defintion of a project -- 2 of 3 conditions need to be met.
Bleeding
Swearing
More than 1 trip to the hardware store

Three opposable thumbs up!

#374 6 years ago

Buildy's latest jig contribution. I'd give you three guesses as to what it does, but you'll only need one...

IMG_6460.JPG
#375 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Buildy's latest jig contribution. I'd give you three guesses as to what it does, but you'll only need one...

IMG_6460.JPG 164 KB

ain't that thang illegal in most parts...

#376 6 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

ain't that thang illegal in most parts...

Only in the deep South.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Cutting yourself a shooter lane?

#378 6 years ago

what an awesome project! you need to do a em slot machine next! that would be amazing beside this in your gameroom!

#379 6 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

what an awesome project! you need to do a em slot machine next! that would be amazing beside this in your gameroom!

As TPF approaches and you see the light at the end of the tunnel on this project, I'd be curious to hear your plans for A) this machine and B) your next project.

Best of luck coming down the home stretch! It's been a pleasure following this process from afar.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#380 6 years ago

Don't let those leg protectors wrinkle your decals... err

#381 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I love Freud router bits and saw blades.

#382 6 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

I gotta say, that is a hell of an idea. I have also thought about doing a pitch and bat.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

As TPF approaches and you see the light at the end of the tunnel on this project, I'd be curious to hear your plans for A) this machine and B) your next project.
Best of luck coming down the home stretch! It's been a pleasure following this process from afar.

It's just not looking good for TPF at this point. Turns out the light at the end of a tunnel IS a train. See my last post for more info. My hope is that this machine, once completed, will get to go other places for folks to enjoy. I'm doing this because most people will never get out to the Pacific Pinball Museum and see theirs. and I expect people will get a kick out of it. The more people that can enjoy it, the better. The next project is a pair of Space Invader widebodies I picked up earlier this year. One will be overhauled as built for my permanent collection. The other will get a modified play field and ruleset as I learn to run a PROC powered system. After that, I intend to build a one-off PROC controlled steam-punk machine like lots of folks here talk about doing and never do... really. I swear!

Quoted from AMBoggs:

I love Freud router bits and saw blades.

Me too! And that 1" ball cut the plywood like butter. See pic below.

#383 6 years ago

The good news is, the jig works like a champ. The bad news is, the numbers are off. At the proper start depth, I get a run of just over 11". Should be around 15.75". Back to the band saw!

IMG_6474.JPG
#384 6 years ago

While I managed to cut out all the switch slots today, I am not entirely happy with the results. I have already designed an adjustable jig for this in my head. Future reference.

IMG_6476.JPG
#385 6 years ago

1)This is a piece of folded stainless steel that I bent into a channel. The idea is to use it as runners along the base of the lower cab to a) protect the acrylic from chips and gouges when being transported and b) house the LED strips.

2) The old rail assembly.

3) The new and improved rail assembly.

IMG_6478.JPG IMG_6480.JPG IMG_6482.JPG IMG_6483.JPG
#386 6 years ago

Sadly, today was my drop dead date for work on this project in deference to prepping my other pins for TPF. I have four other pins in need of some minor repair and cleaning to get ready and a mini-van that needs a tow rig installed. At this time I will suspend work on this project in order to prepare for our annual migration north to Dallas for a fun filled weekend. The work I did on the APP this weekend FELT like work and I do not want this thing done on a time limit basis. It should be enjoyable and today was not. Fear not. The moment I have finished with the other stuff or TPF ends, I will return to this enjoyable project and finish it. Thanks to everyone that have been following my progress and giving me great encouragement. It is immensely appreciated. "I'll be back!"

IMG_6484.JPG
#387 6 years ago

I'm hoping I'm still going to make it with the Mirror Universe

#388 6 years ago

I hope so too! Dying to play that game.

#389 6 years ago

Bummer it won't be at TPF but better to do it right than fast.

#390 6 years ago

Sounds like it's one of those times where you put on the long robe and moccasins, and go sit under the waterfall and ponder.

Hope you can return to this soon... because it is an epic in need of an epic finale.

#391 6 years ago

Always next year for TPF. Do it right, take your time. I've got two games pretty much ready to go to TPF out of four. #3 needs very minor stuff, and #4 is.....STTNG. Pop bumper rebuilds. GOD, I DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT. But I know where you're coming from on that front!

#392 6 years ago

Sorry to hear that your TPF goal date will not be met. However, as gtown mentioned:

Quoted from gtown:

...better to do it right than fast.

As a long time follower of this thread, I whole-heartedly agree. We'll be with ya 'til the end of this project, whether it's TPF 2014 or 2015.

Also...

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

The next project is a pair of Space Invader widebodies I picked up earlier this year. One will be overhauled as built for my permanent collection. The other will get a modified play field and ruleset as I learn to run a PROC powered system. After that, I intend to build a one-off PROC controlled steam-punk machine like lots of folks here talk about doing and never do... really. I swear!

PLEASE start threads on each of these projects as they get started. I love watching (and learning from) your work. I have a selfish request; would you mind posting a link to your next project on this thread? (I've already got this thread favorited so that I'll catch any updates.) ...that way I'll be sure not to miss your next masterpiece.

All the best,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#393 6 years ago

looking great tho. Hate it when other projects interfere with main projects.

#394 6 years ago

I look forward to seeing you finish this someday.

1 week later
#395 6 years ago

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back. Things are moving right along for TPF prep so back to work. Post 1, Buildy gets it right. After a few missteps and several beatings with a 2X4, we finally managed to create a ball trough jig of the proper length and angle. The answer was so damn simple I don't know how either of us didn't come up with it sooner. Overthinkers anonymous meeting, anyone? Anyways, here's a good test run.

IMG_6589.JPG IMG_6592.JPG
#396 6 years ago

Set the router cut depth by taking the thickness of the jig....

Add the desired depth of cut, 1/4", and set it.

IMG_6590.JPG IMG_6591.JPG
#397 6 years ago

Ta freaking da. Commence drooling in 3...2...1...

IMG_6644.JPG IMG_6645.JPG
#398 6 years ago

Great project. I just wonder why you routed the playfield inserts. If you would not cut out the insert hole and place a lamp below you will still see wether the lamp is on or off. All you need to do is color the inserts on the overlay, if they had color.

#399 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back

#400 6 years ago

glad you're still planning to bring to dallas show.
was going to ask if you could bring if, even though you had stopped work on it to get other pins ready.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 89.99
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.95
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 38.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside