20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 27.
#101 10 years ago

awesome looking!

#102 10 years ago

Keep it coming, this is awesome!

#103 10 years ago

So here's the raw and cleaned up images of the coin door graphics. Once I reverse the image I'll cut it on the Cameo to get my stencil and prepare to apply it to the piece.

IMG_5848.JPGIMG_5848.JPG coindoorgood.jpgcoindoorgood.jpg
#104 10 years ago

This thread is so full of win!!!

GREAT work!

Chris

#105 10 years ago

Excellent work and great documentation of the whole thing.

#106 10 years ago

I approve of this thread! Can't wait to see this develop until completion.

#107 10 years ago

I love threads like these. Amazing work, thanks for sharing!

#108 10 years ago

i like the effect, it's going to be awesome!

#109 10 years ago

Very Very impressive! Can't wait to see it done.

#110 10 years ago

Progress, slow but steady. Constructed my redneck engineering sandblast cabinet today. The ones locally available are not only too small, but not free. I hate not free. This one cost a large cardboard box that my new upright freezer came in, a roll of duct tape, a small piece of plastic and a few hours time. Tested this evening with sifted playground sand on the bar lockdown mechanism. Works. I'll load it up with the good stuff tomorrow. (Aluminum oxide.)

IMG_5950.JPGIMG_5950.JPG IMG_5952.JPGIMG_5952.JPG
#111 10 years ago

Cut the stencil tor the coin door piece today as well. Should get time to blast that tomorrow!

IMG_5955.JPGIMG_5955.JPG
#112 10 years ago

How do you plan on doing the playfield plastics? Printing a reverse image on translucent adhesive and applying to the underside I heard is a great way.

#113 10 years ago

Be careful with the play sand. Silicosis is nasty stuff.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How do you plan on doing the playfield plastics? Printing a reverse image on translucent adhesive and applying to the underside I heard is a great way.

If you look way back to the beginning, I tried to do decals with just black lines and hated the way it looked. After considering spray paint, I decided I would do the sandblasting for all graphics. (Case, plastics, P/F and B/G.)

Quoted from browne92:

Be careful with the play sand. Silicosis is nasty stuff.

Agreed. My setup is near airtight. I use a half face respirator and then let it settle before opening up and evacuating the chamber.

#115 10 years ago

OK, finally, some pay off. Took a 4-day weekend but I finally feel like I am actually getting somewhere. I swear it is all I can do to not rush this 'cause I only get one chance. So here's the coin door section with the mask applied on a makeshift stand I whipped up. Turns out the stand was too tall for my home baked sandblast cabinet and I ended up just propping the back with a 2X4. Anyways, I did the initial blast then pulled it for an inspection.

IMG_5958.JPGIMG_5958.JPG
#116 10 years ago

Here's the result. I identified a few places that were not blasted properly and marked them with a Sharpie. It makes it easier to see in the blast cabinet and I just hit it until the black is gone.

IMG_5961.JPGIMG_5961.JPG
#117 10 years ago

The results...

IMG_5963.JPGIMG_5963.JPG IMG_5966.JPGIMG_5966.JPG IMG_5968.JPGIMG_5968.JPG
#118 10 years ago

To tell the truth, I'm starting to impress myself. And when I added the LEDs...

IMG_5970.JPGIMG_5970.JPG IMG_5974.JPGIMG_5974.JPG IMG_5975.JPGIMG_5975.JPG
#119 10 years ago

Very nice! How about an acrylic coin box with some quarters in it ?

#120 10 years ago

Wow! That is looking really cool. Lot's of potential here.

#121 10 years ago

that looks badass

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

that looks badass

x 10,000
damn fine work!

#123 10 years ago

Phenomenal. Added to favorites!

#124 10 years ago

Very cool, nice work

#125 10 years ago

FFFFFFUUUUUUUU..... 0_o

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Very nice! How about an acrylic coin box with some quarters in it ?

Off course you will have to make some acrylic quarters as well!

Fun project!

#127 10 years ago

I've heard of people running drills in reverse when drilling to keep it from grabbing. Have you tried that?

#129 10 years ago

It adds to the effect if you hide the light source.

Should be a helluva show stopper when done.

eandc1000.jpgeandc1000.jpg etw1.jpgetw1.jpg
#130 10 years ago

For the back box insert panel you could use the wms press fit wpc style lamp sockets with the idc connectors on the back.

-c

#131 10 years ago

This looks amazing.

I foresee great things to come

#132 10 years ago

Still watching, fascinated.

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

It adds to the effect if you hide the light source.
Should be a helluva show stopper when done.

Yup. Just doing a little proof of concept test with a trial strip and some duct tape. The strips I intend to use are incredibly thin and bright and should be easy to hide. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flexible-strips-and-bars/

You can buy in bulk length and then customize to need. These have copper pads every 3" where you can cut and solder in leads.

IMG_5979.JPGIMG_5979.JPG IMG_5980.JPGIMG_5980.JPG
#134 10 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

For the back box insert panel you could use the wms press fit wpc style lamp sockets with the idc connectors on the back.
-c

Not sure which ones you are talking about. A pic or catalog link would be good... thanks!

#135 10 years ago

BTW, if you haven't tried already, I did a little experiment last week and found that Forestner bits work well on acrylic too. I had to let everything cool a couple of times during the cut, as I could smell the acrylic getting hot. Might have helped if I applied more pressure to shorten the drill time and/or backed off the drill speed.

#136 10 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/24-8818

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Not sure which ones you are talking about. A pic or catalog link would be good... thanks!

#137 10 years ago

Looking really good. What are you using to actually throw the sand around in your free blaster?

#138 10 years ago

this is just crazy, one of a kind for sure.
i can only imagine what the playfield will look like

does the light for the cabinet is RGB, change colors every week or so depending on the mood you are.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

BTW, if you haven't tried already, I did a little experiment last week and found that Forestner bits work well on acrylic too. I had to let everything cool a couple of times during the cut, as I could smell the acrylic getting hot. Might have helped if I applied more pressure to shorten the drill time and/or backed off the drill speed.

Yep. I have done it but do not prefer it. You can cool it with water as you drill, just be sure to clean and dry immediately after. Low/med speed, light pressure always. Let the drill do the work, never force it. Whatever I have in the chuck of the press, it's just a slow, steady process. Pressure makes for chips/cracks.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Looking really good. What are you using to actually throw the sand around in your free blaster?

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html Cabinet was free. The blaster was a couple bucks. This one actually works pretty well, as you can see. Performs with my home garage pancake compressor. I get about a minute of spray time to a minute of compressor run. Shooting with the 70 grit aluminum oxide.

Quoted from beatmaster:

this is just crazy, one of a kind for sure.
i can only imagine what the playfield will look like
does the light for the cabinet is RGB, change colors every week or so depending on the mood you are.

Still undecided...
1) Three colors on cabinet(left side, right side, coin door), fourth for P/F and fifth for head.
2) Color changing all around.
3) Blue lower cabinet, green playfield, red head/ back glass.
Leaning towards #3. The point of the color here is to highlight and accent, not grab your attention. Always taking suggestions...

#142 10 years ago

Great job. Looking at your LED backlit panels reminded me of these nice shots of backlit snowflakes.

http://www.natureknows.org/2013/11/amazing-macro-photography-of-individual.html

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Another small piece completed, but good proof of concept for mounting and polishing. (No flames here - 220grit, 500grit, 1200grit, buffing wheel.)

Wow. That acrylic housing for (what I'm assuming is) the on/off switch is amazing. It looks crystal clear...and you did that all with varying coarseness levels of sand paper? Is that true? How long did you spend sanding at each of the varying stages you listed? ...and do you recommend a buffing wheel for the final stage?

More thanks and praise for this thread. Good luck with your project. Those LED lighted panels are coming along smashingly.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wow. That acrylic housing for (what I'm assuming is) the on/off switch is amazing. It looks crystal clear...and you did that all with varying coarseness levels of sand paper? Is that true? How long did you spend sanding at each of the varying stages you listed? ...and do you recommend a buffing wheel for the final stage?
More thanks and praise for this thread. Good luck with your project. Those LED lighted panels are coming along smashingly.
Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

That's exactly what it is. Mostly won't be seen. Yep, a couple of minutes of wet sanding with each grit successively until that level of scratches are gone. (Using a block where I could to keep it flat.) Then the buffing wheel with polish for that extra shine. I happened to have an old bench grinder I hadn't used in years so I pulled the grinding wheels and got a couple of buffing wheels. One leather and one cotton. Makes polishing the metal and plastic parts extra nice and easy. I was actually surprised with the ease of this. And thanks.

1 week later
#145 10 years ago

Been a rough week or two with cooler temps than normal and lots of work at work. Overtime is a good thing and I never turn it down. Today's goal, weather dependent of course, is to finish the blasting of parts for the cabinet sides and plastics. Took a lot of work to get the artwork ready. Now I just have to bring the images up in the Silhouette software, reverse and size, and cut.

IMG_5510.JPGIMG_5510.JPG sidestencil-76.jpgsidestencil-76.jpg
#147 10 years ago

This is coming out really nice..

#148 10 years ago

this is beautiful work, and should be so sweet when completed. Love the finish on the switch block - nice and glossy.

#149 10 years ago

I just read the entire thread. I can't wait to see the next update.

1 week later
#150 10 years ago

1) Mr Forstner, I like the cut of your jib. Or the jib of your cut. Or... hell, you make a nice hole, k? Flipper button.

2) Ready for grit media impalement. Aim for the shiny spots, k?

IMG_6010.JPGIMG_6010.JPG IMG_6018.JPGIMG_6018.JPG
There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-acrylic-pinball-project-i-am-clearly-insane/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.