20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 27.
#1251 9 years ago

We have a winner... and a replacement switch.

IMG_3741.JPGIMG_3741.JPG

Note the missing curl over of the rivet on the left.

IMG_3743.JPGIMG_3743.JPG

Voila. Brand new second hand.

IMG_3744.JPGIMG_3744.JPG

#1252 9 years ago

We have a winner... and a replacement switch.

// Error: Image 395632 not found //

Note the missing curl over of the rivet on the left.

// Error: Image 395634 not found //

Voila. Brand new second hand.

// Error: Image 395635 not found //

IMG_3741.JPGIMG_3741.JPG IMG_3743.JPGIMG_3743.JPG IMG_3744.JPGIMG_3744.JPG
#1253 9 years ago

On to the next thing...

This is the credit button as it normally sits.

IMG_3746.JPGIMG_3746.JPG

And here it is stuck in.

IMG_3749.JPGIMG_3749.JPG

It may be easiest just to limit how far the button can be pushed in. We shall see.

#1254 8 years ago

Didn't you say you had access to a lathe? You could whip up a pretty brass or stainless trim ring/bushing to take up the slack.

#1255 8 years ago

I do, but the fix I came up with was zounds easier, cost me 5 minutes and 0$. After removing the switch, I pulled the button and realized that the screws for the metal backer were protruding out the other side and THAT is what was actually snagging the button and holding it in. I swapped out the 1/2" screws for 3/8" and solved that problem. I then went searching for a few washers to add on the front side to keep the button from going in too far. In the process, I found a 1/4" I.D. post ring that fit perfectly up inside the back of the button around the center post. Works like a champ now!

#1256 8 years ago

Quandary: Do I up-vote your posts for clear explanations and well-documented photography, or do I down-vote in empathy and sorrow for your fix-it woes. Hmmm...

In all seriousness, it's refreshing for an EM repair newb (me) to read through these murphy's law situations (really...that switch leaf decides to break off, too???). At least I know it's not just me.

Congrats on your project holding up in a big way after a LOT of play over the past few weeks!

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

6 months later
#1257 8 years ago

All cleaned up and ready for her Houston debut. Also now capable of four player games.

1 week later
#1258 8 years ago

God that thing is gorgeous. Really hope I get to play it one day. How'd she hold up over the weekend?

#1259 8 years ago

487 games with only one minor issue. Trophy collected. On the way home. After action report to follow.

#1260 8 years ago

Very cool! I had the pleasure of playing this machine last night at the Houston show. Thanks for bringing it out, for everyone to enjoy. Glad you took home a trophy for it!

#1261 8 years ago

I'm honored to have put in a few games as well. Beautiful and fun. Congrats!

#1263 8 years ago

I enjoyed a couple games on it too. Such a work of art!

I didn't get a chance to play it at TPF. Glad I did this time.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#1264 8 years ago

I just saw your machine on thechive.com in the Daily Morning Awesomeness gallery. Good work. image.jpegimage.jpeg

#1265 8 years ago

Wow, that's quite an undertaking! When all was said and done, how many man hours did it take to build it?

#1266 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I just saw your machine on thechive.com in the Daily Morning Awesomeness gallery.

My intern forwarded me this image yesterday and told me, "I think this might be up your alley."

#1267 8 years ago

A buddy of mine sent me this picture too and said "you need one of these". I responded, well, it's the only one in the world like it so I don't think I'll be getting it. I had to tell him that I've been all nerdy following the progress of this build with great interest over the last several months. It truly is amazing.

#1268 8 years ago

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Thank you very much for sharing your project.

#1269 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#1270 8 years ago

I just saw your machine on thechive.com in the Daily Morning Awesomeness gallery. Good work. image.jpeg

Whoever took that shot did a great job and shared it generously. I've seen it on imgur, reddit and now thechive. Whatever that is. More social media I assume? Yes, I are a dinosaur. Rowr.

Quoted from gweempose:

Wow, that's quite an undertaking! When all was said and done, how many man hours did it take to build it?

Not sure, but figure about two years of weekends, weeknights and holidays. Most of it just learning. I could probably knock one out in about 6 months now.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

My intern forwarded me this image yesterday and told me, "I think this might be up your alley

Ha! That's funny. You have an intern? Dayum!!!!

Quoted from egyptrus:

I responded, well, it's the only one in the world like it so I don't think I'll be getting it.

Actually, there are 4, but mine ain't for sale and the guys at the PPM sold one of their three to a museum for 30k. Ouch.

Special thanks to Jeff and Brett who appear to have become my promotions department and biggest cheerleaders. Thanks!!

#1271 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Wow, that sure is stunning.

#1272 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I knew the cabinet was etched, but just noticed the plastics were too. *gasp* I want to see this in person so badly. Now how to make that happen...A PROJECT FOR THE INTERN!

Thanks for posting the pictures, Lab. Can't see enough photos of this project.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

PPM sold one of their three to a museum for 30k.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

You have an intern?

My third, if you can believe it:

http://www.elephanteater.com/11440

#1273 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Not sure, but figure about two years of weekends, weeknights and holidays. Most of it just learning. I could probably knock one out in about

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Actually, there are 4, but mine ain't for sale and the guys at the PPM sold one of their three to a museum for 30k. Ouch.

Sounds like you have a profitable side job if you can find buyers

#1274 8 years ago

We have interns (college students) here at work. I refer to them as "minions".

#1275 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I should be more specific...there are other "clear" pinball machines but I assume this is the only one that's clear for this particular title and I assume the other "clear" games aren't as complete and nice as this one. To me, it's one of a kind.

#1276 8 years ago

I played it at HAAG and it's really nice. It looks great and plays great. Cool watching all the mechanisms work while playing. I played one at PPM a few years back, I don't remember the title though.

#1277 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

My third, if you can believe it:

She's a brat! Brats are good people. I should know...

Quoted from egyptrus:

I should be more specific.

True enough. The corners on the others are butt joints which REALLLY gets my craw. Apparently. I did my best to mirror the actual construction techniques. They are actually brilliantly built. With luck the backglass and playfield will be completed by TPF this year.

Quoted from bflagg:

I played it at HAAG and it's really nice.

Thanks!

#1278 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Special thanks to Jeff and Brett who appear to have become my promotions department and biggest cheerleaders. Thanks!!

might have more pix than you
i played this game at TPF and houston arcade expo more than any other pin.

one amazing pinball to play and admire. look out Tron LE

#1279 8 years ago

I'm not sure if you're aware of the site, but I saw your build featured on The Chive (www.thechive.com) in this morning's Daily Morning Awesomeness!!

#1280 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

With luck the backglass and playfield will be completed by TPF this year.

Did I miss the post where you talked about this? Are you still working on stuff for the APP?

#1281 8 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'm not sure if you're aware of the site, but I saw your build featured on The Chive (www.thechive.com) in this morning's Daily Morning Awesomeness!!

I DID see it. After it was pointed out to me. Of course most of the likes on that page went to the blue/green/red-haired suicide girl in lingerie. Go figure...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Did I miss the post where you talked about this? Are you still working on stuff for the APP?

Process improvement continues. I will be etching/painting the original back glass graphics. (And properly disposing of the waterslide decals currently there.) I am also producing a play field overlay that will have the playfield graphics reverse etched on the underside. When I clearcoated the play field all that work disappeared as I figured it would. If you blow up Labnip's 4th pic and look closely, you can still make out the club around the bonus lights as well as the card surrounding the lower right "10" and the keylines and words around the inlane arrows.

#1282 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I DID see it. After it was pointed out to me. Of course most of the likes on that page went to the blue/green/red-haired suicide girl in lingerie.

*LOL*

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

If you blow up Labnip's 4th pic and look closely, you can still make out the club around the bonus lights as well as the card surrounding the lower right "10" and the keylines and words around the inlane arrows.

Ah, yes! Wow...very cool! Thanks for pointing those out! Again...

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I want to see this in person so badly.

Good luck with the next iteration!

#1283 8 years ago

I just saw your machine on thechive.com in the Daily Morning Awesomeness gallery. Good work. image.jpeg

"thechive"...everyone's answer to "no boobs" on pinside!

#1284 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I DID see it. After it was pointed out to me. Of course most of the likes on that page went to the blue/green/red-haired suicide girl in lingerie. Go figure...

Process improvement continues. I will be etching/painting the original back glass graphics. (And properly disposing of the waterslide decals currently there.) I am also producing a play field overlay that will have the playfield graphics reverse etched on the underside. When I clearcoated the play field all that work disappeared as I figured it would. If you blow up Labnip's 4th pic and look closely, you can still make out the club around the bonus lights as well as the card surrounding the lower right "10" and the keylines and words around the inlane arrows.

Can't wait for those final touches

#1285 8 years ago

I am in love with this game. I could spend hours just staring at it from below while other people play. If you were at Houston Arcade Expo you probably saw me doing that trying to get these shots.

Here's a few shots I got of it. Need macro lensssss. Such Pinball. Such Art.

imotoarcade_houston_arcade_expo_pinball_acrylic-3.jpgimotoarcade_houston_arcade_expo_pinball_acrylic-3.jpg

imotoarcade_houston_arcade_expo_pinball_acrylic-1.jpgimotoarcade_houston_arcade_expo_pinball_acrylic-1.jpg

imotoarcade_houston_arcade_expo_pinball_acrylic-2.jpgimotoarcade_houston_arcade_expo_pinball_acrylic-2.jpg

#1286 8 years ago
Quoted from imotoarcade:

I am in love with this game. I could spend hours just staring at it from below while other people play. If you were at Houston Arcade Expo you probably saw me doing that trying to get these shots.
Here's a few shots I got of it. Need macro lensssss. Such Pinball. Such Art.

Wow. Nice shots here, imotoarcade. Thanks for sharing. I coild look at a lot more. *hint hint*

#1287 8 years ago
Quoted from imotoarcade:

I could spend hours just staring at it from below while other people play.

Me too!! LOL

Damn. Those pics are amazing. Thanks so much for sharing them. I brought up the first one to show the wife. She says "that's a pretty pin!" Then she realizes it's clear. "Whos machine is that?" "Um, mine?" I think it was probably the most photographed game at this show as it was at TPF last March. Just makes me smile from ear to ear. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the compliments.

#1288 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

\ I brought up the first one to show the wife. She says "that's a pretty pin!" Then she realizes it's clear. "Whos machine is that?" "Um, mine?" .

That's something my wife would say

#1289 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I DID see it. After it was pointed out to me. Of course most of the likes on that page went to the blue/green/red-haired suicide girl in lingerie. Go figure

Any links to the article? Can't find it through Google ... Cheers

rd

1 month later
#1291 8 years ago

Something new is "clearly" afoot!

IMG_6105_(resized).JPGIMG_6105_(resized).JPG

IMG_6108_(resized).JPGIMG_6108_(resized).JPG

#1292 8 years ago

Wow great work

#1293 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Oh my!

spock-brows_(resized).jpgspock-brows_(resized).jpg

#1295 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I smell a podcast comin' on! Mk1Mod0...be prepared for an invitation.

#1297 8 years ago

I'm guessing it's NFS! I saw a picture of this somewhere the other day and wondered what this was. It's truly stunning.

I think cleaning this machine would be insane. Needs some vacuum inside to keep dust from accumulating.

How much this thing weigh?

#1298 8 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

now i know you are insane

...clearly.

(Someone had to say it.)

#1299 8 years ago

Hint dropped - check. Pot stirred - check. Cat outa the bag - check! I can't help myself. I'm an easily excitable blabbermouth. This project won't get underway in earnest until after TPF, but a fine teaser is in order. Thanks to the extreme generosity of fellow Pinsider Dennis Dodel, I am in receipt of a Golden Gate bingo machine to be converted to acrylic. So far, I have the play field to jump start this project. Over the next couple of weeks I will be disassembling, cleaning and determining the feasibility of it all.
While similar to the acrylic pinball project, this is an entirely different machine. Thinner play field, more and bigger holes and a sliding trap floor underneath. Oh, and about a 300 pound head. I will also be exploring a different take on the side graphics. Thankfully, while the play can be quite spirited, it's not flipper hit at 80mph spirited. I can keep everything in easy-to-work-with acrylic and leave the hard-to-work-with polycarbonate out of the equation.
I'll be using new parts when I can and original if I cannot find new. This game is, literally, 3 years older than I so some things may be difficult. The head light board will probably be just as much of a challenge as the play field is. I do relish a challenge. (That is the clearly insane part.) As before, all comments, suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome! Nothing is settled until it is done, and maybe not even then. Slow but steady progress to begin with. Enjoy the ride!

#1300 8 years ago

I'll just leave this right here... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clearly-insane-part-ii-bingo#post-2895815

Quoted from Delta9:

Wow great work

Thanks!

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Oh my!>

Indeed!

Golden Gate?!?!

No secrets in this place! LOL

Quoted from way2wyrd:

now i know you are insane

You already knew.

Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I'm guessing it's NFS! I saw a picture of this somewhere the other day and wondered what this was. It's truly stunning.

I think cleaning this machine would be insane. Needs some vacuum inside to keep dust from accumulating.

How much this thing weigh?

NFS? As much as it sucks, and it does suck, cleaning it is a laborious but ultimately satisfying process. Pretty, ain't she? I think we figured it out at around 400 pounds and change. About 100+ more than a standard four player EM.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

(Someone had to say it.)

AAaaaarrrggggg! (heh-heh)

There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-acrylic-pinball-project-i-am-clearly-insane/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.