Topic Stats

• 1,333 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 487 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

_JPF1642 (resized).jpg
_JPF1644 (resized).jpg
20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
20150329_145546 (resized).jpg
IMG_6579_(resized).JPG
IMG_6576_(resized).JPG
IMG_6570_(resized).JPG
IMG_6573_(resized).JPG
IMG_6574_(resized).JPG

There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 27.
#1150 5 years ago

Nice work. Even more so, great dedication to an end vision. Clearly (pun intended) you have the ability to pull this off. I look forward to playing this and meeting you at TPF.

#1151 5 years ago

See you in Frisco, sir. Can't wait to see your art in person. Too soon to say "Best in Show?"

#1152 5 years ago

Is it going to be old school pricing 2 plays for .25
Just kidding

Simply beautiful !!

Clearly something to be admired!

#1154 5 years ago

hope someone is going to cover this project/story, gotta be in a magazine somewhere (pinball magazine) and in a museum.

a major attraction of any pinball show.

#1155 5 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Is it going to be old school pricing 2 plays for .25

Not exactly... bring your Pesetas!
IMG_5873.JPG

Quoted from beatmaster:

hope someone is going to cover this project/story, gotta be in a magazine somewhere (pinball magazine) and in a museum.

indianajones.jpg

#1156 5 years ago

Truly, an awesome display of craftsmanship and dedication to producing a phenomenal pinball machine. You sir, are awesome. Congrats.

#1157 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

All problems resolved. Ready for TPF. Video forthcoming.

IMG_3290.JPG 243 KB

IMG_3298.JPG 231 KB

The only thing I hate about this thread is that you don't live in the same city as me. I could really use your smarts. This is an absolutely amazing machine and I've enjoyed following this thread for as long as it's been. Such a beauty and something to be very proud of.

#1158 5 years ago

Congratulations on completing your project. It is absolutely stunning! Thank you for taking us along on this journey.

Bravo!

#1159 5 years ago
Quoted from Andretti:

Truly, an awesome display of craftsmanship and dedication to producing a phenomenal pinball machine. You sir, are awesome. Congrats.

^^^^^ What he said.

In addition, I'd like to point out what an unforgiving material acrylic can be to work with. I've done some acrylic work myself (of course, nothing of this magnitude), and the smallest scratch will scream at you and can cost you hours of sanding and polishing. Throw LED lighting on it just makes it worse. You, sir, are a patient man.

I hope you didn't keep track of how much money you spent or how many hours went into this. Those are numbers you'd probably rather not know.

So when you starting on the next one?

#1161 5 years ago

Very cool!!!

Where do we send the money for pre orders and when does production start?

#1162 5 years ago

Mind-Blowing!!!!!!!!
Very impressed!!!

#1163 5 years ago

...speechless...

#1164 5 years ago

Here you go, kids. (I am NOT a videographer!)

#1165 5 years ago

Truly amazing. Congrats for a job well done.

#1166 5 years ago

Really beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this adventure with us!

#1167 5 years ago

Quite a project. It sure looks fantastic

#1168 5 years ago

i'm setting up space in my museum for it

#1169 5 years ago

Fantastic journey !!!

#1170 5 years ago

thanks for the videos, amazing.

if possible, a video in the dark with those nice strip leds lighting up the cab would be nice.

#1171 5 years ago

It occurred to me later that I didn't even have the LEDs on when recording. Weird, huh? I have played it with them going and changing color and I find it oddly distracting. Not that it gets my attention, but it changes the way the field looks or something. Hard to describe, but I'll try and get some video.

#1172 5 years ago

What is the coil that keeps buzzing until the ball passes down a top lane above the bumpers?

#1173 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

What is the coil that keeps buzzing until the ball passes down a top lane above the bumpers?

Probably the first ball coil. The game uses it to confirm a ball has actually been played and the play sequence can continue. Once a score has been recorded that coil changes state and de energizes.

#1174 5 years ago

Just saw this today, all i can do is echo what all have said. Awesome... I know that there is a trick to get the edge light to work better, it has to do with the clearness of the opposite side. I think if you sand the side opposite the light, they work better. Maybe you already knew this and have done it. The other thing I thought was on the backbox, you could run the lights on the back edge also. One question, early in the proceedings you showed something you used to clean the bulb sockets, what was it.

#1175 5 years ago

This is a show centerpiece. What a great finish!

#1176 5 years ago

If you can find these at Sears, buy all they have. Put it in your Dremel and go to town. It'll do 500 bulb sockets or so before you wear it out.

IMG_3340.JPG

#1177 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm having a problem with the left flipper coil and the 1000 point chime sticking. I think in the video you are hearing the chime coil sticking. When it scored it would let go.

#1178 5 years ago

Wow this looks wild!

#1179 5 years ago

Maybe is there a way to have the LED lights shut off during the game being played and then come back on at game over ? Hmm....??

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#1180 5 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I know that there is a trick to get the edge light to work better, it has to do with the clearness of the opposite side.

If you're talking about getting the etching on the cabinet sides to stand out more, simply etch deeper:

eventsign640.jpg

IIRC, the OP used a sandblaster to do the etching. I've used one on glass, but never acrylic. If you're using a siphon feed sandblaster, it takes a long time to deep etch glass. A pressure pot would work better. Can I assume the same for acrylic?

The hot setup on acrylic would be a cnc router. Avoid laser engraving unless you have a way to anneal the acrylic, the heat will cause stresses.

But then again, the OP may not want the etching to stand out more, especially if he's finding the light distracting during play. I also like the idea of turning off the lights during the game. A relay wired to the game over lamp would do it.

#1181 5 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

If you're talking about getting the etching on the cabinet sides to stand out more, simply etch deeper:

IIRC, the OP used a sandblaster to do the etching. I've used one on glass, but never acrylic. If you're using a siphon feed sandblaster, it takes a long time to deep etch glass. A pressure pot would work better. Can I assume the same for acrylic?
The hot setup on acrylic would be a cnc router. Avoid laser engraving unless you have a way to anneal the acrylic, the heat will cause stresses.
But then again, the OP may not want the etching to stand out more, especially if he's finding the light distracting during play. I also like the idea of turning off the lights during the game. A relay wired to the game over lamp would do it.

eventsign640.jpg 32 KB

No what I saw had to do with the side opposite the lights, iirc if the opposite side is polished and clear, it won't show the etching very well, whereas if it is sanded and "cloudy" it reflects the light back. But with it having the rails on the top, that probably does the same thing..

#1182 5 years ago

It looks great. Very impressive, well done!

#1183 5 years ago

Wow! This project has been a lot of fun to follow. I am sad that it is over. Fantastic job, would love to get a chance to see it someday.

1 week later
#1184 5 years ago

First, thanks for all the encouragement and kind words. This has been an interesting and eye opening experience.

Secondly, while nothing is ever finished this is pretty much done. All that is left is to add the playfield acrylic overlay with the graphics on the bottom and sandblast the numbers into the back glass. That will probably be done before the Houston show in Nov. Meanwhile I have temp stuff up in decals. I have also added two rows of LEDs near the top of the cab under the P/F to light up the innards a little more.

Lastly, rest assured that this is only the beginning. I have a custom build in mind but I also intend to make a clear collection. So if you know anyone who has a cheap but serviceable pitch and bat or rifle game, hit me up. Back to the Cowboys VS Aliens....

#1186 5 years ago

thank for the video, looks incredible with the leds.

#1187 5 years ago

Incredible! I do not possess the patience for anything close to this.

#1188 5 years ago

So looking forward to TPF.
That thing is nothing short of amazing.

#1189 5 years ago

What a remarkable thing!

You need to be congratulated, and then immediately institutionalized!

What an incredible thing you've accomplished.

Hat's off to you, Sir! I'm dumbfounded.

#1190 5 years ago

Beautiful! You gonna let peeps play it at TPF?

#1191 5 years ago

Amazing!!!!!

#1192 5 years ago

I'm calling it now. I bet this wins the best custom pinball at TPF.

#1193 5 years ago

Super kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did a great job!

#1194 5 years ago

Bravo~!~!~!

#1195 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

If you can find these at Sears, buy all they have. Put it in your Dremel and go to town. It'll do 500 bulb sockets or so before you wear it out.
IMG_3340.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Just ordered 3 thanks!
Hope these are the right ones.
Here's the link if anyone wants them:
http://www.searsoutlet.com/Abrasive-Point-1-8-in-Shank/d/product_details.jsp?pid=13910&mode=seeAll

#1196 5 years ago

I accidentally flagged one of your pictures. I was having trouble viewing some of the pictures on my work computer, and I hit the wrong icon. I'm sorry.
Your machine is absolutely beautiful, and I appreciate the trouble you took to post it here.
Once again, I'm sorry.

Thanks, Eric

#1198 5 years ago

Simply amazing. Well done!!!

#1199 5 years ago

totally awesome mate!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 55.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 0.10
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Stuff
Boards
PinSound
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
$ 159.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside