20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 27.
#1101 9 years ago

OK so I'm jumping in the pool late.

What is the current issue we are trying to solve?
Symptoms?

--Jeff

#1103 9 years ago

It will only play a four player game. When I initiate a single game, all steppers reset as they should. I play ball one and it goes to player two. Then three. Then four. Then ball two, player one. Etc. It always plays a four player game. #-ball or 5-ball game the result is the same. If the coin unit is at one player only, how can it do this? Something is telling the player unit to pulse every time the ball drains..

#1104 9 years ago

No offense taken, meSz. Just getting frustrated here. It's been a long couple of years and I am soooo close I can taste it. Still a few things to work out, but we're almost there. This thing is awesome and I can't wait to show it off.

#1105 9 years ago

Oh yes I remember going over that in Houston with you. I will look at the schematic tomorrow and offer some suggestions

-Jeff

#1106 9 years ago

As previously mentioned, I have new projects underway in the shop while the APP is still being cared fro in the den. Enjoy my other train wrecks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cowboys-vs-aliens-a-side-by-side-rehab-project#post-2153255

#1107 9 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

As previously mentioned, I have new projects underway in the shop while the APP is still being cared fro in the den. Enjoy my other train wrecks.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cowboys-vs-aliens-a-side-by-side-rehab-project#post-2153255

for a minute...
i thought you were going to merge the 2 diff pins to create a new custom game

#1108 9 years ago

"Quit talkin' and start PEW-PEW-PEW-PEW!!!!" Thump... thump... thump... thump...

#1109 9 years ago

I have an old Gottleib 4 player EM. It steps through all 4 players, no matter how many are in the game. When a one player game is played and the ball drains, it steps through the other 3 players back to player 1. So maybe jumping to player 2 is not your problem, but failing to jump through 3 and 4 is?

HTH's.

#1110 9 years ago

Interesting. Any Sonic owners want to chip in with opinions? I have no idea if it should work that way or not.

#1111 9 years ago

I was going to take a look at the schematic to try to help here... but the posted scan is now so small I cannot use it for anything, can't read any text etc even with magnification.... maybe we can go for something about 4x larger in file size than offered-

Obviously, you need to be able to zoom in to a level that allows reading of all the print and with enough detail to make out symbols on the schematic too (like switch positions etc).

Maybe I am missing something here.... but I click to download and digitally zoom and I don't see resolution required to read this... if its just me then I will figure it out.

#1112 9 years ago

Ugh! You're right. Just tried it myself and you are correct sir. I had to dumb it down a ton to get it under 5Mb and that killed it. Let me try another route.

#1113 9 years ago

Send the schematic to XXXXX I'll host it for everyone

--Jeff

#1114 9 years ago

Now sending the 20Mb version. Hope it works and thanks for this.

#1115 9 years ago

$_57.JPG$_57.JPGI had the same problem on my Target Alpha, the round player stepper wheel has a wire jumper between the two pins and it was broke.

I soldered new wire in and worked 1 player. not the only 4 player. maybe your same problem?

ill see if i can find the pic

#1116 9 years ago

Doesn't appear to be that way, but I'll take a look at it.

#1118 9 years ago

here are the two circuits that do the player unit step up

circuit2path.pngcircuit2path.png
circuit1path.pngcircuit1path.png

#1119 9 years ago

ok so based on you description the ball count doesnt go up until all 4 have played ball 1.
That makes me suspect of teh rivets / fingers on the coin unit

circuit1path2.pngcircuit1path2.png

#1120 9 years ago

So it looks like when the ball drains, the signal goes to the ball count s.u. via coin and player unit? And you suspect that the coin unit is not being read correctly? I will look more into it.

#1121 9 years ago

Been over, under and through the coin unit and no fix in sight. My next move is to follow the wires that actuate the ball count/ player unit to terminus and see if there is a short somewhere.

#1122 9 years ago

Resolved. Finally. Thought this crap would break me.

In the end, it was just the stupid coin stepper, as it should have been and most of us thought it was. The problem was sporadic, though, and it took was I believe to be an inordinate amount of time to find it. Whenever a game is initiated, the coin unit resets to one player from wherever it was in the previous game. A hundred times outside of the game on the bench I tested (and confirmed) the continuity of this with my meter. It always tested good, and when in the game it looked good.
IMG_2811.JPGIMG_2811.JPG

What I have come to discover is that for some reason, when in the game, the wiper arm travels just a little further than when it is not. This is why. Wear and tear on the stepper unit allows too much travel on return.
IMG_2808.JPGIMG_2808.JPG

The knob on the stepper cog is halted by the indent but the indent is too worn so I wrapped this sucker with some of that handy self-sticking copper foil I have laying around until it stopped in the right place.
IMG_2810.JPGIMG_2810.JPG

Now the SOB plays like it should. 1,2,3,or 4 player games as you choose. I guess if the coin unit isn't saying anything the game reverts to four player? Weird. Don't care. Problem over. On to fuse blowing chime units, weak pop bumpers, mis-wired GI and switches that don't register! (Not to mention a playfield protector.)Thanks again for all the helpful advice. The story continues...

#1123 9 years ago

Once I get the chimes going and the pop fixed I'll get up a game play video.

#1126 9 years ago

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
I could feel your pain from here!

#1127 9 years ago

Well done! Sure hope I get to see this beauty someday. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

#1128 9 years ago

Most excellent... You should be able to find another base plate without the wear... when you feel up to replacing it-

Awesome.

#1129 9 years ago

Congrats, that's one hell of a problem to debug. At least with all of your effort it didn't turn out to be anything simple.

#1130 9 years ago

I'm SO glad you finally got that resolved! I was feeling your frustration. A magnificent job you are doing! Plus, I notice you did real well in your grammar classes when you were young. You correctly place commas where they go!
Mike in Kentucky

#1131 9 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Most excellent... You should be able to find another base plate without the wear... when you feel up to replacing it-
Awesome.

If not, bore it oversized and press in a brass bushing.

#1132 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Plus, I notice you did real well in your grammar classes when you were young.

Yeah but adding words where they don't belong... that's just... real smart!

#1133 9 years ago

yeah !!!!

super congratz on the find & fix.
what a great feeling!

#1134 9 years ago

Great day so far. Game plays correctly and all relays activate as they should for all features. After going over the schematics and the playfield a couple hundred times I found the reason the 100pt coil was staying locked in. Probably looked at this several times without noticing.

IMG_2813.JPGIMG_2813.JPG

Next on the list was to make a stiff wire connector between the lower gate and its activating coil.

IMG_2815.JPGIMG_2815.JPG

Working on the chime unit now and I think I found the problem. (Besides me!) It turns out it is a bad idea to hook up a set of chimes with DC coils(with diodes attached) to an AC circuit! Video to be posted tonight.

#1135 9 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Working on the chime unit now and I think I found the problem. (Besides me!) It turns out it is a bad idea to hook up a set of chimes with DC coils(with diodes attached) to an AC circuit! Video to be posted tonight.

DOH! yeah... that's bad on fuses and diodes.

#1136 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

DOH! yeah... that's bad on fuses and diodes.

Oh yeah. One of the diodes smoked in a spectacular fashion. Fortunately I am still in "test mode" and have my resettable fuses in place.

Finally got around to test cutting on the .01 acrylic pieces today. I think this stuff is gonna work out just great.

Slot cuts by biscuit joiner -
IMG_2826.JPGIMG_2826.JPG

Did this with a spade bit backed by a piece of junk wood.
IMG_2828.JPGIMG_2828.JPG

So now I will use some construction paper to get the basic layout of the play field to transfer to the acrylic piece. After marking and cutting out the cutouts so it will lay on the field, I can mark precise locations for the switch slots and rollover buttons. Once that test fits OK, I can sandblast the graphics in reverse on the bottom side of the thin sheet and that should look freaking spectacular.

#1137 9 years ago

One step forward, two steps back. The chimes look, sound and work great! Suddenly I have NO play filed light, GI or otherwise, and the 100 point relay is sticking again when I score either eject hole. (500 points) ARGGG!!!!!!

#1138 9 years ago

.....so close. looking amazing !

#1139 9 years ago

OK guys. Next of the never ending problems. Fortunately, this one applies to all games so hopefully someone can help me out here. As you can see in the video, as soon as the hundred or thousand point relays are activated, they stay activated. Whether by hand or by a switch in the game the result is the same. What is supposed to release the coil? Is it one of the switches actually on the coil or is it a switch activated by the scoring mech? This is pretty much the last big problem I am having. It wasn't this way to start so I am thinking it is a dirty switch somewhere. I have cleaned the contacts at the point coils several times and it does not seem to help. Help?

#1140 9 years ago

so either there is a switch stuck on the playfield or the end of stoke switch on the reel isnt making.

I dont know those reels but if its like a williams when the reel pulls in the actuator bar will hit the EOS switch

--Jeff

#1141 9 years ago

It's a Sonic, so everything is Williams-like. I have seen that on the score reels. So that is what will stop the relay from pulling in?

#1142 9 years ago

Definately, Try activating the score reel manually.

Its the switch by the coil

it should open when the actuator pulls in

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/f/ff/WMS_4_in_reel.JPG

--Jeff

1 week later
#1143 9 years ago

score RELAYS are held in by the motor board ( latched ) and released at the end of its cycle.
Sounds like the hold switch is short.The reason it doesn't happen on the ten is maybe because there is no 50 points on the board where as there is a 500 , 5000 points.

1 week later
#1144 9 years ago

All problems resolved. Ready for TPF. Video forthcoming.

IMG_3290.JPGIMG_3290.JPG IMG_3298.JPGIMG_3298.JPG
#1145 9 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

All problems resolved. Ready for TPF.

Clearly an amazing and beautiful project. Thanks for sharing!

#1146 9 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful showcase of craftsmanship.

You knocked it out of the park. I hope to get to see this up close some day.

#1147 9 years ago

This is freakin amazing. Clearly a work of art

QSS

#1148 9 years ago

If this is coming to TPF maybe I will keep Crescendo home this year... it will be too embarrassing to look at this and not have a refinished cabinet...lol..

Sick!

#1149 9 years ago

Such a cool project, nice work!

Im surprised you didnt use clear rubbers lol!

#1150 9 years ago

You, sir, are a very clever man. I tip my hat to you!

There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-acrylic-pinball-project-i-am-clearly-insane/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.