20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 27.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

One suggestion before gluing, sand all your joining surfaces smooth. It looks like your edges are a little rough either from a CNC or table saw, your clue will not bond 100% if they are not smooth. I've made a lot of acrylic displays, shelves and misc. pieces and block sanding your edges is a must.

Table saw. It looked really good until it passed by the backside of the blade. Had access to a high end jointer which we did use for the flat edges but doing the 45s on them was difficult to do well. I will be block sanding them to make a much better joint.

Quoted from browne92:

If you have trouble with the areas around the glue joint turning white, or "clouding", use Weld-on 4 instead of 3. It's made to avoid that.

Same thing happens if you flame polish edges with a torch. The heat creates stresses in the acrylic which can be released by the solvent cement, or even changes in ambient temperature. The only way around this is to anneal the parts, which is a long process of heating the whole part to an even temperature, and gradually cooling. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_glass
Neat project. Best of luck.

I'm thinking the clouding/crazing is due to the high humidity we still have going on here. If it doesn't get any better with later tests I'll be switching. Also, no flame polishing for me.

Quoted from KingNine:

This is beyond cool. I'll bet after you get it done you'll find keeping it clean is the hardest part lol. That was always the problem with me see through computer case.

My wife has a clear acrylic computer case I built for her from a kit. Part of the inspiration for this project. I agree... It's awesome when it is clean. When.

IMG_5292.JPGIMG_5292.JPG
#52 10 years ago

Didn't get a lot of playtime this weekend, but a few items were worked on. It's been quite awhile since I played with a router and longer since I worked plastic. I'm starting with the simplest and least visible pieces. Hopefully I'll get better as we go along. Item #1 is the bottom of the lower casing. It was previously sized and cut with the other major pieces so I'm down to the hole where the on/off switch goes and a couple of air slots that are located under the two cross pieces that support the bulk of the machinery for the game. Step one was to drill the switch hole with a hole saw bit. Step two was to make a starter hole where I traced out the opening. 1/2"

IMG_5826.JPGIMG_5826.JPG
#53 10 years ago

Next, clamp a guide piece to run the router against and carefully run the length of the marked area.

IMG_5830.JPGIMG_5830.JPG
#54 10 years ago

And....voila! Or tada if you prefer. Now, to add supports, the switch mount piece, etc, etc, etc...

IMG_5832.JPGIMG_5832.JPG
#55 10 years ago

Great job so far, looks amazing. Heck i wouldn't even want to try and do some of that and I have a cnc!

Etching or engraving the plastic will look cool when done, especially if you can edge light it with led's. I Do my toppers the same way and the effect is pretty cool.

Watching for daily updates

#56 10 years ago

I have a clear Surf Champ playfield and backbox insert, which Mike kindly supplied me for doing a similar project. Acrylic is not the material they used, i believe they went with Lexan. Acrylic cracks very easily. Mike tried a lot of different materials for the playfield too, finding certain thing held screws better. The conclusion was again Lexan worked best for holding screws, and not cracking when a post is hit by the ball. You may want to talk to Mike at the PPM so you're not making expensive material cost mistakes.

#57 10 years ago

Fantastic thread

#58 10 years ago

I've not attempted anything near the scale you are taking on but, have you tried using a Rotozip laminate bit in your router setup???? I have used them in the past to cut acrylic for cabinet work in kitchens and they were fantastic!

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I have a clear Surf Champ playfield and backbox insert, which Mike kindly supplied me for doing a similar project. Acrylic is not the material they used, i believe they went with Lexan. Acrylic cracks very easily. Mike tried a lot of different materials for the playfield too, finding certain thing held screws better. The conclusion was again Lexan worked best for holding screws, and not cracking when a post is hit by the ball. You may want to talk to Mike at the PPM so you're not making expensive material cost mistakes.

Wrote to the PPM several times when I first considered doing this and never heard back from them. Lexan was my first choice, having worked with it to make boat windscreens and such in the Navy but it is quite cost prohibitive. The acrylic I have is heat press formed vice extruded and will hopefully hold up to the abuse.

Quoted from RWH:

I've not attempted anything near the scale you are taking on but, have you tried using a Rotozip laminate bit in your router setup???? I have used them in the past to cut acrylic for cabinet work in kitchens and they were fantastic!

Regular bits seem to do just fine in the router. I did go with a laminate bit in the jigsaw. It out cut everything else.

#60 10 years ago

Awesome job thus far, looking forward to future updates.

#61 10 years ago

Are you building a completed plan, or are you winging it as you go? I'd imagine that it would be tough to add pieces later on in the build.

But this is a great project. I'm following

#62 10 years ago

You may want to talk to Wade Krause about the Lexan versus Acrylic issue. He's the one that actually made and cut the clear playfields and cabinets for Mike at the PPM. He's probably easier to get a hold of too. But i really think you need to use Lexan for this. Acrylic is just way too brittle. If you're having trouble cutting it, using it in a pinball machine may be worse case. Lexan is more money but if you do all this work and it breaks, that would cost more than using Lexan!

I will be using the Surf Champ clear playfield and backglass. But I'm going lower cost for mine and using the original cabinet. I'll cut out the sides though and put clear insert panels so you can see into it. this is much lower cost and a good first step in the process. i like to walk before i run. i'm sure there's a huge learning curve on all this, and probably a ton i haven't even considered.

#63 10 years ago

The paper on the sheet says "polycarbonate". That is Lexan.

#64 10 years ago

You're doing a AWESOME job thanks for to pics

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Are you building a completed plan, or are you winging it as you go? I'd imagine that it would be tough to add pieces later on in the build.
But this is a great project. I'm following

It's an existing machine. (Super Straight by Sonic) I'm merely replicating all of the support in clear plastic.

Quoted from cfh:

You may want to talk to Wade Krause about the Lexan versus Acrylic issue. He's the one that actually made and cut the clear playfields and cabinets for Mike at the PPM. He's probably easier to get a hold of too. But i really think you need to use Lexan for this. Acrylic is just way too brittle. If you're having trouble cutting it, using it in a pinball machine may be worse case. Lexan is more money but if you do all this work and it breaks, that would cost more than using Lexan!

The piece I purchased for the playfield is "Acrystar" which is a cast acrylic polymer based on methyl methacrylate. The testing I have done is promising, but does not replicate a steel ball traveling at whatever speed a 70's era Williams flipper can fling it at. I've priced like sized lexan and it is doable. Meanwhile, the material I have is very easy to work with and quite flexible. I tried to overstress and crack it but that still doesn't tell me if it'll take shock loads.

Quoted from cfh:

I will be using the Surf Champ clear playfield and backglass. But I'm going lower cost for mine and using the original cabinet. I'll cut out the sides though and put clear insert panels so you can see into it. this is much lower cost and a good first step in the process. i like to walk before i run. i'm sure there's a huge learning curve on all this, and probably a ton i haven't even considered.

I considered that route. I also looked into doing a S/S frame (I'm a welder) to support all the structure and covering it with a thin, cheap plexi but in the end I decided whole hog is the way to go. Nothing really new here, just different material and different glues.

Quoted from browne92:

The paper on the sheet says "polycarbonate". That is Lexan.

Yup. Lexan is a brand name, like Kleenex. That particular piece was a freebie given by a friend that was sadly too thin for the playfield so it went to the bottom piece and will be in a few other places as well.

#66 10 years ago

Replicating the on/off switch mount. Hole saw for the large circle then routed out to the proper depth. Regular bit for the remainder. Some edge polishing next.

IMG_5849.JPGIMG_5849.JPG IMG_5850.JPGIMG_5850.JPG IMG_5851.JPGIMG_5851.JPG
#67 10 years ago

OK. Deep breath, and lets start on the coin door piece. First, we'll drill some pilot holes for the door and the plunger.

IMG_5853.JPGIMG_5853.JPG IMG_5855.JPGIMG_5855.JPG
#68 10 years ago

Thanks for all the photos. Really fun to see the progress. Where do you buy your acrylic sheets? Must cost a fortune?

This may have already been addressed "if so oops", do you have plans to do LED lighting inside the cabinet?

#69 10 years ago

Next, we'll jigsaw out the major portion where the coin door goes.

IMG_5857.JPGIMG_5857.JPG IMG_5858.JPGIMG_5858.JPG
#70 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Thanks for all the photos. Really fun to see the progress. Where do you buy your acrylic sheets? Must cost a fortune?
This may have already been addressed "if so oops", do you have plans to do LED lighting inside the cabinet?

I am acquiring the acrylic locally as shipping makes getting it elsewhere too expensive. (It's freaking heavy!) Fortunately, I have a local vendor who has competitive pricing. The 3/4" sheet to make the case was just over $15 per square foot. My plan is to do the side graphics with sandblasting and light it up w/LEDs.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

.... My plan is to do the side graphics with sandblasting and light it up w/LEDs.

wow, i can't wait to see that.

#72 10 years ago

Now, I'll mate the new with the old and take a 1/2" bearing router bit and clean out the remaining material. This is my "C-N-C"... cut an' copy. AKA lo-tech.

IMG_5859.JPGIMG_5859.JPG
#73 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I am acquiring the acrylic locally as shipping makes getting it elsewhere too expensive. (It's freaking heavy!) Fortunately, I have a local vendor who has competitive pricing. The 3/4" sheet to make the case was just over $15 per square foot. My plan is to do the side graphics with sandblasting and light it up w/LEDs.

Yeah that stuff can get really expensive, but it will be worth it. Keep up the great work.

#74 10 years ago

Last on this part is the hole for the credit button. Regular bit all the way through then a 1" spade bit to recess the button. Ready for graphics!

IMG_5861.JPGIMG_5861.JPG IMG_5863.JPGIMG_5863.JPG
#75 10 years ago

awesome work, thanks for the updates!

#76 10 years ago

looking great so far

#77 10 years ago

Is there any room for using white nylon hardware in this project, maybe to secure lamps and such? You may have to thread the hole, but might look good in the clear. Of course they probably wouldn't be good in place of any structural screws/bolts.

Looking good. Best of luck in the project!

#78 10 years ago

Standard twist drills have a tendency to grab upon breaking through and crack/shatter the material. It might not be as much of a problem on thicker material. But there is a trick to grinding the drills so they don't grab. I bought a $4 set of Horrible Freight drills and ground them all just for use on acrylic. If you've found this to be a problem let me know and I'll get you a picture of the modified drill.

#79 10 years ago

How are you going to do the graphics?

Vinyl adhesive, sandblast, laser etch?

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I WANT ONE !! To whom and where do I send in my deposit too?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

me too!!!

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

My plan is to do the side graphics with sandblasting and light it up w/LEDs.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Standard twist drills have a tendency to grab upon breaking through and crack/shatter the material. It might not be as much of a problem on thicker material. But there is a trick to grinding the drills so they don't grab. I bought a $4 set of Horrible Freight drills and ground them all just for use on acrylic. If you've found this to be a problem let me know and I'll get you a picture of the modified drill.

I purchased these in several sizes and so far I am reasonably impressed with their performance. Designed "for acrylic and polycarbonate materials." So far I have found that duller is better. The more I use the jigsaw blade the better and cleaner it cuts.

IMG_5872.JPGIMG_5872.JPG
#83 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Is there any room for using white nylon hardware in this project, maybe to secure lamps and such? You may have to thread the hole, but might look good in the clear. Of course they probably wouldn't be good in place of any structural screws/bolts.
Looking good. Best of luck in the project!

Trying to use as much original hardware as possible, but still wrestling with what to use where the GI lights were stapled to the back of the score mount and the underside of the playfield. Not sure exactly what you are refering to but I take all suggestions! Pictures are good too. I like pictures.

Quoted from vid1900:

Sandblast like the little test topper earlier in the post. And while I have you on the phone... 1) What kind of glue would you recommend for the inserts? 2) I'm considering sandblasting the P/F design as well and then covering with mylar. Any thoughts on that?

Yer killin' me, Smalls!

#84 10 years ago

Another small piece completed, but good proof of concept for mounting and polishing. (No flames here - 220grit, 500grit, 1200grit, buffing wheel.)

IMG_5864.JPGIMG_5864.JPG IMG_5866.JPGIMG_5866.JPG IMG_5867.JPGIMG_5867.JPG
#85 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Yer killin' me, Smalls!

build faster...

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Trying to use as much original hardware as possible, but still wrestling with what to use where the GI lights were stapled to the back of the score mount and the underside of the playfield. Not sure exactly what you are refering to but I take all suggestions! Pictures are good too. I like pictures.

I guess there are clear ones, too!

http://www.robotshop.com/en/m3x6mm-clear-nylon-screws-nuts-10.html

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I purchased these in several sizes and so far I am reasonably impressed with their performance. Designed "for acrylic and polycarbonate materials." So far I have found that duller is better. The more I use the jigsaw blade the better and cleaner it cuts.

See how the cutting edge has been ground flat? Makes the drill act more like a paddle bit than a twist drill. Keeps it from grabbing. If you're in a bind for a particular size, you can grind the same flats on a standard twist drill. Same trick works on other materials when you are enlarging a hole.

Edit- Piece looks great, btw. Nice work.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Trying to use as much original hardware as possible, but still wrestling with what to use where the GI lights were stapled to the back of the score mount and the underside of the playfield. !

Have you experimented with using Hot Glue or some type of clear adhesive that will attach to both the ground strap and the acryllic?

#89 10 years ago

Was watching Modern Marvels this morning, the episode "Keep Out" was on. It had a short section about the construction of security barriers for banks, stores, gas stations. Don't know if you have any of those sort of businesses in your area but if you do, may be they could share some of their techniques if you contact them.

#90 10 years ago

Looking GREAT - can't wait to see the finished product~!

#91 10 years ago

Gotcha! Looks good but may be oversized for what I need. Great suggestion!

Quoted from GaryMartin:

Have you experimented with using Hot Glue or some type of clear adhesive that will attach to both the ground strap and the acryllic?

Yeah, there's a pic way back where I tried hot glue and clear silicone RTV. It was up to the task but looked like crap. My favorite solution at this time is to go with small S/S screws. Just a ton more drilling and screwing. The pieces for that will be the last produced so I have time yet to explore other options. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to know where to get really good ground braid for a really good price, I found it.

#92 10 years ago

Slow week in the progress department. Between work and honey-dos, not a lot got done. I managed to test fit the plunger and start button to the new piece. Like a glove. Next, I completely disassembled the coin door to make it as light as possible while fitting and drilling into the new piece. Boy, does it need cleaning. And 5 pesetas for a game? That must have been a long, long time ago!

IMG_5876.JPGIMG_5876.JPG IMG_5875.JPGIMG_5875.JPG IMG_5873.JPGIMG_5873.JPG
#93 10 years ago

If you want to save some time in the polishing department, try this on a piece of scrap: 240 grit wet/dry paper and water enough to remove any saw/cut marks, then Novus 3 heavy scratch remover applied by hand, then Novus 2 light scratch remover applied by hand. Let me know if this meets your standards.

#94 10 years ago

Wait - the coin door won't be Acrylic.
That's cheating!

#95 10 years ago

You are a god!!!

#96 10 years ago

How's the project coming along?

#97 10 years ago

Slowly but surely. Spent the week playing with my new LED strip lights from superbrightleds.com I was attempting to see how well it would light up the graphics that will be sandblasted into the sides. The results were less than encouraging. Did more research and found that depth of cut is key. Since I am merely sandblasting and not carving or gouging I thought that I would not be getting the depth required to cause the images to light up the way I had hoped. Eventually I remembered that one of my test pieces was done with aluminum oxide instead of the cheap playground sand I used elsewhere. I put the LEDs up to it without even polishing the side and BAM!! The graphic popped like a weasel with new springs. I also discovered that it is true that graphics reverse printed on the inside of the case will look much better than ones blasted onto the outside. (And, bonus, it will make it much easier to clean the machine.) Should get around to doing this to the coin door piece this weekend. The rest of the past week was eaten by work and new acquisitions. (2 Space Invaders. It's a disease. There is no cure.) Pics to follow...

#98 10 years ago

very nice

#99 10 years ago

Ok, so here's my unscientific test results. (No LEDs were harmed in the making of this presentation.) Pic 1 is the topper test sidelit by the LEDs. As you can see, the sandblasted portions don't really carry the light at all. Pic 2 is a practice sample blasted with aluminum oxide, blasted side out. Pic 3 is what I'll be doing. Same piece, blasted side in. I think it looks the best of the three.

IMG_5948.JPGIMG_5948.JPG IMG_5946.JPGIMG_5946.JPG IMG_5947.JPGIMG_5947.JPG
#100 10 years ago

Wow. That looks very crisp and clean. Keep it coming. This thread is great

There are 1,343 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-acrylic-pinball-project-i-am-clearly-insane/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.