Topic Stats

• 1,333 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 487 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

_JPF1642 (resized).jpg
_JPF1644 (resized).jpg
20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
20150329_145546 (resized).jpg
IMG_6579_(resized).JPG
IMG_6576_(resized).JPG
IMG_6570_(resized).JPG
IMG_6573_(resized).JPG
IMG_6574_(resized).JPG

There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 27.
#900 5 years ago

I wonder: if you put LEDs scattered about inline with the wiring connections, would they light up when being used? So if you score 3 points on the game, wire a LED inline with the 1s reel, it would flash 3 times? It would be neat to see the innards flash during a game.

#901 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I wonder: if you put LEDs scattered about inline with the wiring connections, would they light up when being used? So if you score 3 points on the game, wire a LED inline with the 1s reel, it would flash 3 times? It would be neat to see the innards flash during a game.

That is one of the things that has been considered throughout this. What I imagine is a light (LED or small filament) that would flash whenever a particular piece of machinery was firing, be it score motor, flipper or slingshot. That way a casual viewer's attention would be drawn to wherever the action was taking place. (There will be small blue sparks visible throughout of course!) Another one of those small detail things that will get there eventually. Right now I intend to have it functional at Houston and finished by TPF in March.

#902 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Right now I intend to have it functional at Houston and finished by TPF in March.

Woohoo!! Houston Expo starts Nov 7th at noon.

#903 5 years ago

This is nuts. He's doing half a rubylith on his PLAYFIELD.

#904 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

IMG_1053.JPG 178 KB

IMG_1054.JPG 108 KB

IMG_1055.JPG 158 KB

Is that the result of using your Silhouette cutter or did you end up doing it by hand?

#905 5 years ago

That's the cutter. Hours and hours of cleaning up the scans, converting them to line drawings, cutting and weeding the masking material and finally using transfer tape to get it (hopefully) in the right place on the new field. Now comes the fun part. (Blasting) Then comes the real bitch. Removing the masking without scratching the field to death.

#907 5 years ago

Gorgeous! Are you planning to blast the black lines distinguishing the geometric shapes?

#908 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

That's the cutter. Hours and hours of cleaning up the scans, converting them to line drawings, cutting and weeding the masking material and finally using transfer tape to get it (hopefully) in the right place on the new field. Now comes the fun part. (Blasting) Then comes the real bitch. Removing the masking without scratching the field to death.

Whats the type of masking material you're feeding through the cutter? Would it be sufficient for airbrushing as well? I'm just curious since I have a Sillouette cutter, too and am interested in using it for making stencils for PF touchups.

Would you be willing to share the info on the material and the blade setting for the cutter?

#909 5 years ago

More than willing. Not doing trade secrets here, I encourage everyone to get out and try to do it themselves. I have the Sihouette 'Cameo' model running "Designer Edition V3" software. I set it on "paper" so I can control the blade settings. The material I use works best with speed-3 and thickness-5. Blade depth is 2.

This is the material I use for masking. I buy it in the 24" X 10yd size and then chop it into 12"X12" sheets for most of my work. You do not need a backing sheet and can feed it directly into the cutter. I have done 12" X 55" pieces for the side art on this pinball. Worked out quite well. (It's a few pages back.)
http://www.signwarehouse.com/VSSTENC813-p-VOR813-2410-STMSKB.html

I use this to ease the transfer of the cut stencils. You cut and weed, lay the app tape over top of the vinyl and then position it. Once you have it in place, peel the back and lay it, then peel off the app tape.
http://www.signwarehouse.com/p-AP-AT60-14.html

#910 5 years ago

Now the fun part. This stuff actually peels quite easily... except for, you know, those parts where it was hammered into the acrylic by the sandblaster.

IMG_1068.JPG

#911 5 years ago

This is my favorite thread on Pinside, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this at the Houston show. Awesome work~!

#912 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Not doing trade secrets here, I encourage everyone to get out and try to do it themselves.

Thanks for this. It's great that you do this. I just bought a cameo last week that I want to use to create intricate airbrush masks. I'll be picking up the material you use for sure!

Dan

#913 5 years ago

I use my Cameo with a Gerber Mask material for air brush and PinBall restoration. Amazing how quickly you can use this tool to fix stuff that would be a PITA by hand.

Just be sure you get the right transfer tape (I recommend a paper based tape or medium bond) then hammer it down good and tight- spray with a release agent (or water) to help release the stencil from the transfer tape and away you go-

#914 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Now the fun part. This stuff actually peels quite easily... except for, you know, those parts where it was hammered into the acrylic by the sandblaster.

I know it would be a PIA to clean up, but maybe a little light oil (eg ie WD-40) as a release agent might help.

#915 5 years ago

I've tried everything. (Including electrical contact cleaner which is what I use at my work sign shop to remove old vinyl adhesive.) What happens is the non sand blasted part lifts right off and promptly separates from the rest making it harder to remove. I'm starting to believe that it actually imbeds itself in the acrylic. Scrape, peel, scrape some more and then alcohol bath with soft brush to remove remaining stickum. Almost there.

#916 5 years ago

Meh...

IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1075.JPG
#917 5 years ago

could the inserts have just been left as sandblasted, with colored led lights corresponding under?

i applaud all your hard work and ground breaking experiments .. the good stuff never comes easy !!

#918 5 years ago

Could have, yes. I think someone suggested this earlier in the thread. In a cluster, like where the bonus count lights are it may be difficult to tell what is lit and what isn't. Remember it's a half inch thick. Maybe if I ground out say a 1/8" from under where the insert goes and left it frosty with a sandblasted ring on top? That might work. It would look just like a frosted insert but without the trouble of putting in an insert. Hmmmmm...

#919 5 years ago

If only there were a magical drill bit that would do such a thing...

IMG_6008.JPG
#920 5 years ago

I like it. The inserts are a nice touch the added red bits really pop on the clear playfield. I think this is better then going without them

#921 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

If only there were a magical drill bit that would do such a thing...

Flat bottomed hole? There is. Router bit with template. Or am I missing something?

#922 5 years ago

That's a really fantastic result! Amazing, as is the whole thread.

#923 5 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Flat bottomed hole? There is. Router bit with template. Or am I missing something?

yep (missing something) ...he was being sarcastic by showing the forstner bit.

You could, of course, use a router bit and template for any 'non-standard' size or shape which could not be addressed by a forstner bit as long as there are no sharp corners

#924 5 years ago

Sigh... once more into the abyss. Fourth time's the charm?

IMG_1083.JPG
#925 5 years ago

Damn that looks good!!

#926 5 years ago

Jeezuz this is awesome!

#927 5 years ago

man, this is going to be amazing when it's all done.

#928 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Sigh... once more into the abyss. Fourth time's the charm?

What is wrong with it??
Looks good. Build it up so you can bring it to Houston.

#929 5 years ago

Completed removing the crap wiring that was running the LED lights. Plugged them into my new multi-port power board.

IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG

Yeah, it works. Voila?

IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG

#930 5 years ago

Truly some great work, looks amazing.

Also, stop hoarding all the Space Invaders.

#931 5 years ago

drove past you through the rain today in corpus on the way to the valley.
heading back up to Austin tomorrow.

was wondering what you might be doing to it as i sloshed by...

#932 5 years ago

Down town was flooded out tonight. Out here on the Island we got nary a damn drop. The bike fest got a little wet. Come by tomorrow, I'll be installing new springs on all the scoring motors and starting the ground trace wiring for the GI and insert lights on the play field. And bring Defender to TPF.

#933 5 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

Also, stop hoarding all the Space Invaders.

When you can talk someone down to both for $500, you take both.

#934 5 years ago

Should be quite the show-stopper. Hope we can both make it to Houston.

#935 5 years ago

aahhhh man, i didn't check here yesterday before we left back to Austin. would have been nice to stop by. well... will see you in Houston soon.

cheers

#936 5 years ago

Great work sorry bout the mishaps...

You'll have that on the big job's for time to time LOL

Looks great !

#937 5 years ago

Sweet.. just realized we have a KNKMAXX 15" cutter at work.. without this thread I wouldn't of known it had any value to me.. figure at least for paint masking

#938 5 years ago

IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1206.JPG IMG_1208.JPG
#939 5 years ago

Now thats progress-

Looking great- I cannot wait to see this lit up! So good on so many levels-

#940 5 years ago

Mk thanks for sharing as it's been great to see this come to fruition! I am sure the people over at Novus have to love it as well!!!

#942 5 years ago

Looks very nice already. How much does that pin weigh? I just know that acrylic pianos are supremely heavy, even by pianos' standards.

#943 5 years ago

I estimated the weight a couple pages back. Not far under 500 pounds.

Starting to get populated around here...

IMG_1475.JPG IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1478.JPG
#944 5 years ago

Cool on so many levels, can't wait to see the solenoids firing through the PF.

#945 5 years ago

interesting point...

does the acrylic handle solenoid shot vibrations the same way a wood playfield & cabinet does?
similar vibration absorption?
similar sound absorption?

#946 5 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

interesting point...
does the acrylic handle solenoid shot vibrations the same way a wood playfield & cabinet does?
similar vibration absorption?
similar sound absorption?

Not a clue. TBD. I would assume it will not absorb any sound or vibration(or heat for that matter) as well as wood does. Could make gameplay a little sketchy. I may end up adding a piece of thin rubber padding between the solenoids and the P/F. Otherwise, my only issue so far was the need to shim out the flipper inserts so they wouldn't sit so far over the P/F. 2/16" difference in overall thickness.

I chose to go thinner (for lack of an exact thickness match) to make it easy on myself. (Better to do some shimming than carve out slots for everything that goes through the playfield.) Future endeavors may involve a thicker piece depending on how this goes. Still a prototype.

#947 5 years ago

Amazing! Nice work!

#948 5 years ago

When in doubt, pattern it out. Yes, if you flip it over there's a big "L" on the other side.
IMG_1545.JPG

Now there are two! Slingshots as well.
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG

#949 5 years ago

That play field just looks so cool. Can't wait to see it wired up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Apparel - Men
Pinball Haus
$ 7.00
$ 10.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 13.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 109.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball USA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside