Topic Stats

• 1,333 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 487 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

_JPF1642 (resized).jpg
_JPF1644 (resized).jpg
20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
20150329_145546 (resized).jpg
IMG_6579_(resized).JPG
IMG_6576_(resized).JPG
IMG_6570_(resized).JPG
IMG_6573_(resized).JPG
IMG_6574_(resized).JPG

There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 27.
#750 5 years ago

Next I put the box back on and idd a test fit with the backglass glass. A little trimming here and there and voila. First time in.
IMG_8869.JPG

#751 5 years ago

Now to get to work on the LEDS. Got the brackets shined and ready to go. Just need to do a little wiring and mounting.

Post edited by Mk1Mod0: Double post eliminated with needless bantering.

#752 5 years ago

This is just amazingly nuts man.

Great work!

Chris

#753 5 years ago

First time in is always magic.

#754 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

First time in is always magic.

That's what she said.

#755 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's what she said.

It was AWESOME, i can still smell it like it was yesterday....

#756 5 years ago

Making (head)way. A little disappointing but I'll keep working on it. I wasn't sure how well the light would translate across the scoreboard because of all the big square holes. Not too much, it seems. May have to add some lighting to the other side. The lights up the side don't go far at all due to my construction technique. May not be able to do a damn thing about that.

IMG_9074.JPG
IMG_9078.JPG

#757 5 years ago

uneven lighting ?!? ...well that's it, i'm not going to buy it
well, maybe i'll buy it, but i won't put it in center-entrance right in front of front-door. yeah... that's where i draw the line.

#758 5 years ago

its_beautiful.jpg

#759 5 years ago

Sleep on it. You'll figure something out. It looks fantastic

#760 5 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

It looks fantastic

+1,000

#761 5 years ago

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll find a way to get over it. Meanwhile, I'll install plugs to keep the head and scoreboard removable and then it's on to the playfield. Last major construction on this sucker. Then it is nothing but details...

#762 5 years ago

I think I said all this a couple hundred posts ago, but I throw it out there again.

Your etching on the sides is going to pop if you can edge light the acrylic. The effect if even more pronounced if you can hide the light source. You could put lighting down the front pointing back, but that would hide all the pretty polish work you did on those front edges. Put it on the back facing forward, and you'll likely blind the person playing it. You might be able to put something top and bottom facing inward, but I don't know if it will reach all the etching in the middle.

Imagine the expression on the guys face when you sign up for a pinball show and ask for the darkest corner in the place.

Looking good.

#763 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Making (head)way. A little disappointing but I'll keep working on it. I wasn't sure how well the light would translate across the scoreboard because of all the big square holes. Not too much, it seems. May have to add some lighting to the other side. The lights up the side don't go far at all due to my construction technique. May not be able to do a damn thing about that.

IMG_9074.JPG 190 KB

IMG_9078.JPG 227 KB

I like it, head-backbox looks more like the Matrix pin than the Matrix pin

#764 5 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

I like it, head-backbox looks more like the Matrix pin than the Matrix pin

that's what i was thinking too.

#765 5 years ago

OK! Mass of wires, check. Much plug confusion, check. Exploding head ache? Check! But now it is all wired up and I have the ability to separate the head from the body and the scoreboard from the head. Whew!

#766 5 years ago

Now comes the "fun" part. I have already had half of the GI done up so those holes are already there. Just will be grounding it all with the tape to make it 2 tons easier on myself. Getting closer to the goal...

IMG_9134.JPG IMG_9135.JPG IMG_9136.JPG
#767 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

OK! Mass of wires, check. Much plug confusion, check. Exploding head ache? Check! But now it is all wired up and I have the ability to separate the head from the body and the scoreboard from the head. Whew!
ยป YouTube video

Whoa, that's good squishy!!

hqdefault.jpg

#768 5 years ago

Your acrylic skills are unmatched. It's so amazing that I am confident people would PAY you to bring it to shows.

#769 5 years ago

Great googly moogly... that is some fine craftsmanship you have. I can't wait to see the finished product!

#770 5 years ago

how moly... it just gets better looking with each post.

#771 5 years ago

It's really beautiful! But is it wrong for me to already be looking forward to your next project? Maybe a solid state?

#772 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It's so amazing that I am confident people would PAY you to bring it to shows.

Thanks! That would be awesome, but there are a lot of amazing machines out there. Part of the point is that it's so unusual there are only 3 others that I know of, and I'll probably never get out to the PPM to see them. (And I figured the easy solution was to make one? Oye...) Same with lots of other folks. I'll be very happy just to get it out there for others to see.

Quoted from Thunder424:

I can't wait to see the finished product!

Me too! LOL

Quoted from songofsixpence:

It's really beautiful! But is it wrong for me to already be looking forward to your next project? Maybe a solid state?

I am. It'll be nice to get back to wood. Wonderful, inexpensive, easy to fix/fill/sand/finish wood. While this thread will never really go away, at some point this machine will be "done" and I will move on to other things. As stated earlier, the next project is a combo with Space Invaders and EBD, two of my favorite pins from my "golden era." By doing two at once(instead of one then the other), I can save time rearranging the garage for the different processes. These will be complete teardowns with home made stencils and maybe an overlay or two. Still working on the thread title. Side by side? Grail X2? Cowboys vs. Aliens?

#773 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

the next project is a combo with Space Invaders and EBD, two of my favorite pins from my "golden era."

Hmmmm.....Space Ball Deluxe? Eight Invaders? Can't wait!

#774 5 years ago

Have you devised a work around for the backbox lighting yet? Btw. The video of the both assembled and lit up is stunning!

#775 5 years ago

Replaced all coil sleeves, cleaned the living(and dead) crap outa everything. Hate this part...

IMG_9278.JPG IMG_9279.JPG
#776 5 years ago

You can tumble those old brackets, but then you have to spray a light coat of clear on them to keep them from oxidizing .

#777 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Replaced all coil sleeves

Those pops are going to scream with nylon sleeves compared to the old brass.

#778 5 years ago

So this morning I go to continue cleaning up the playfield machinery when I remember that I have to fix this.
IMG_9287.JPG

No big deal. I have the means to fix this, but then I had a thought. Yesterday I managed to fling one of my parts off of the polisher and across the garage into a black hole from which there was no return. I immediately turned to my favorite donor, my (not quite fully populated) Williams Super Star playfield and two minutes later I had an exact duplicate. Maybe it has a duplicate flipper mount? Of course the answer is no, but maybe it's got something better?

20 minutes of drilling and one spare piece of plexi later, I realize that the original flippers will look like this from above.
IMG_9286.JPG

SNORE!! So then I see that the Super Star flipper assemblies will look like this. Much better!
IMG_9285.JPG

#779 5 years ago

This will work, I think. So now I'll make a drill/mount pattern from light cardboard to facilitate transferring the parts to the poly playfield.
IMG_9284.JPG

#780 5 years ago

I will say that it does look better. Just beware of Feature Creep!

#781 5 years ago

will there be much coil strength difference from 20-300 to 23-400?

#782 5 years ago

Both coils are the same. They are 20-300/28-400. The first number refers to the flipping coil and the second refers to the hold coil. The blue is the Williams version from the Super Star and the beige is the Segasa version from the Super Straight. Just sounds super, doesn't it?

#783 5 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

I will say that it does look better. Just beware of Feature Creep!

Feature Creep? Like LED lights? LOL

#784 5 years ago

I was thinking of something like replacing the Pop Bumper and Slingshot wires with LED rope lights. Feature Creep!

#785 5 years ago

Would look good with clear flippers?, not sure if they are available or if they would be strong enough though?

#786 5 years ago

wow goooooooooooood job!!! love it

#788 5 years ago

Insert decals completed and going on. Clearcoat to follow and then population. Meanwhile I'm ordering last minute necessities like spring kits, bumper parts, rings, etc., etc. But first, vacation, baby. Family, fishing and fun in Colorado and Phoenix. 1UP for the umpteenth time and LCP for the first time. Fresh trout, pinball and cold Coors. Don't get much better!

#789 5 years ago

think you might bring it to the houston event ?

#790 5 years ago

Fantastic, I'm speechless!

#791 5 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

think you might bring it to the houston event ?

Absolutely! Was looking over that info this weekend. Looks like a fun time! Also a short drive for me, so how could I say no? Once I get a little closer to finish I'll sign up for it.

#792 5 years ago

If you sell "Space Invaders Deluxe" I want dibs

I like the name already

This is looking great cannot wait to see the finished product.

Excellent work.

1 week later
#793 5 years ago

So, vacation is over, but it is hard to get motivated when one has a bad case of "COL." (Cat On Lap)
IMG_9661.JPG

But seriously, after hashing it over in my mind for awhile, I have determined that the next step is to add the decals to the playfield and clear it. Ran off a paper trial to see how they looked.
IMG_9667.JPG

Started out cutting the insert decals with this neat circle cutter stolen from the wife's craft room. Great for anything from 1"-6". 3/4" not so much.
IMG_9668.JPG

Also, getting the edge exact is a bit of a guessing game. Gotta be a better way.
IMG_9671.JPG

#794 5 years ago

Better way found. This bugga cuts exact 3/4" and 1" circles. Just flip it over and see the alignment. Cake!
IMG_9672.JPG
IMG_9673.JPG

Went ahead and ran off a sheet on clear and a sheet on white. Set printer for glossy photo paper. The next step is to clear it, cut it and attach to the playfield. Using Papillo paper and spray coating. After attaching to the playfield, I will be clearing with the Spraymax 2K. Results report to follow...
IMG_9675.JPG

#795 5 years ago

I Like that circle cutter, I want one!!! Any recommendations on the best one to get that works good on most sizes?

#796 5 years ago

http://www.walmart.com/ip/32830141?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Love this thing. It'll cut a perfect circle from 1-6" and is marked off in 1/16" increments. You can usually find it local at Walmart, Michaels or maybe Hobby Lobby. So easy a two year old can use it. (Yeah, that includes me.)

#797 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/32830141?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem
Love this thing. It'll cut a perfect circle from 1-6" and is marked off in 1/16" increments. You can usually find it local at Walmart, Michaels or maybe Hobby Lobby. So easy a two year old can use it. (Yeah, that includes me.)

Always meant to find one of these, just ordered one from amazon for like $21. thanx again Vid

#798 5 years ago

I did not see anything like the little blue device shown in the photo above.
The link looks like it goes to a different product.

#799 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I did not see anything like the little blue device shown in the photo above.
The link looks like it goes to a different product.

OK, you are talking about the one I ended up using. That is a Creative Memories product that is no longer produced. You may be able to find them on E-Pay at inflated prices from resellers. If I drop this one again the wife will probably take it away from me and I won't have one either.

amazon.com link »

Looks like EK makes them singly in 1" and 3/4" as well as other sizes. Can't comment on the quality...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
$ 9.00
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 149.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside