Topic Stats

• 1,333 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 487 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

_JPF1642 (resized).jpg
_JPF1644 (resized).jpg
20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
20150329_145546 (resized).jpg
IMG_6579_(resized).JPG
IMG_6576_(resized).JPG
IMG_6570_(resized).JPG
IMG_6573_(resized).JPG
IMG_6574_(resized).JPG

There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 27.
#551 5 years ago

Back door for head. Drilling the lock hole. 3/4" spade bit.
IMG_7802.JPG

Looking good.
IMG_7803.JPG

Added some pieces across the back to make the door "thicker." Remember, it is replacing the galvanized piece which had thick sides. To make it sit well in the track I had to add some so it would not shift around.
IMG_7806.JPG

#552 5 years ago

Very cool ,the lock looks like its floating .

#553 5 years ago

One piece up top and one for each side to keep the door panel from caving in. Tomorrow I'll install the latch on the top so it can be locked. These were made from the leftovers of the piece that went at the front of the head to hold in the back glass. Will have to purchase a new lift channel for my backglass as the one on the original back glass has apparently been glued on. Really??? Yep.

IMG_7805.JPG IMG_7807.JPG
#554 5 years ago

Are you still worried about the weight, and cracking around the legs? I tried to think of possible alternatives (as I'm sure you did), like a pedestal or something that would support from underneath. A Plexiglas pedestal might work, if you could figure out a way to allow for some shaking, but it's not an ideal solution (even if you made it really cool). Plexiglas pillars would probably fail catastrophically... unless they were 5x5 or something.
I thought maybe you could add two more steel legs... but then I thought "well that's just stupid."
I guess I just hope you have no problems. You're building a GEM here---one that I'm sure will be desired at shows. You just may find yourself taking those legs on and off a bit more than you initially planned.
I think what you're doing is great.

#555 5 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Are you still worried about the weight, and cracking around the legs?

Not as much as I was. It's been on the legs for a couple of months now and getting shoved around the garage with no problems. The guy(s) that designed the modern leg attachment system knew what they were doing. It is essentially a big corner clamp that puts a lot of the weight into the sides and off of the bolts. I doubt there is near as much shear weight on the bolts as I thought there might be.

I did design a H-shaped frame that would have been welded onto each leg with angle iron running front to back to support the weight. With that I might have worried less, but it would have been stiff as hell. I am relatively confident that all will be well, but I intend to have the local pinsiders come over and play the heck out of it once completed. I would much rather it fail here than at a show.

#556 5 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

My god man, everytime I open this thread it gets better. Most epic project on pinside. Can't wait till its done, but like a good book, will be bummed when it's over.

+1

#557 5 years ago

Latch/lock mech complete.

IMG_7834.JPG IMG_7837.JPG IMG_7838.JPG
#558 5 years ago

Very Interesting! You must bring it to the Texas Pinball Festival after you get it all finished!

#559 5 years ago

KIller

#560 5 years ago

Do you think It'll be ready for the Houston show in November?

#561 5 years ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

Very Interesting! You must bring it to the Texas Pinball Festival after you get it all finished!

That's the goal.

Quoted from KingNine:

Do you think It'll be ready for the Houston show in November?

I expect to be done in a month or two, barring any disasters or, you know, life getting in the way. If I can swing the time off, I intend to bring it to Houston. That's a short drive for me and we've yet to attend that show. Would be fun.

#562 5 years ago

houston is a lot of fun. it's more of a big party. versus the giant 'show' of dallas.

#563 5 years ago

Yes - please bring it to Houston!! ....awesome work here!

#564 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

houston is a lot of fun. it's more of a big party. versus the giant 'show' of dallas.

Night and Day different! If Houston would just turn down the music so it doesn't overpower the games it'd be so much better. It would also be better if it had an acrylic pinball machine!!!!

#565 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Well yesterday was fun! Huh, Radroxx????

Dumbass 4 wheelers...

IMG_7732.JPG 166 KB

Was out there 5 hours in the heat puttin' that thing out. Not much fun. Kids in a truck were trespassing and got stuck. Needless to say, truck has custom flame job to it now ala Crispy.

#567 5 years ago

That IS an interesting way to attach legs. Very relevant here. Never even considered doing something like that. It would certainly be more supportive of the game.

As for the game itself, well that's a whole other topic that practically writes itself. (Fancy a game of "Baby in the Hole?" That's what she said!!) Oy-vey...

#568 5 years ago

Time to whip out the ol' human CNC again...

IMG_7990.JPG IMG_7992.JPG IMG_7993.JPG
#569 5 years ago

As always, super impressed by your craftsmanship on this.

Even with the right tools, it takes skill to work with materials like this.

#570 5 years ago

Step 1, drill all the holes and four corner all the cut outs. On the press when I can, by hand when I can't.
IMG_8013.JPG

A side shot of the holes and cut outs through the polished side. One can also see the sabre saw blade as I get ready to do the rough cut outs. The fine cut will be done with the router using a 1/2" bottom bearing bit to follow the outline of the original.
IMG_8014.JPG

Getting ready to route.
IMG_8018.JPG

Here's how it works -
IMG_8019.JPG

#571 5 years ago

I'm loving these updates! Amazing work....

#572 5 years ago

So good it's almost like cheating. Almost.
IMG_8020.JPG
IMG_8021.JPG

Done and done.
IMG_8022.JPG

A quick side by side. Now comes the"fun" part.
IMG_8023.JPG

#573 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

So good it's almost like cheating. Almost.

Done and done.

A quick side by side. Now comes the"fun" part.

IMG_8020.JPG 116 KB

IMG_8021.JPG 114 KB

IMG_8022.JPG 120 KB

IMG_8023.JPG 244 KB

Are those glass insulators from telephone/telegraph poles?

#574 5 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Are those glass insulators from telephone/telegraph poles?

Or beacons?

#575 5 years ago

Runway lights. The airfield at my base went LED and they were just tossing these out. I grabbed a buttload of the older true cobalt blue ones. They're purty. I'm certain one will end up in a pin at some point...

#576 5 years ago

Order of build problem #1 - The holes in this should have been aligned and drilled before assembly. Lesson learned and noted.
IMG_8024.JPG

Here's the easy solution. No one in my rinky-dink town had one with a mini chuck at the end so I had to get a few bits to go with it.
IMG_8025.JPG

Marking for depth,
IMG_8028.JPG

Aaaaaaaaaand Bob's your Uncle! (Or actually a great uncle in my case, but that's too much of a mouthful.)
IMG_8029.JPG

#577 5 years ago

Here's the payoff. Now to just add in the light guards...
IMG_8030.JPG

#578 5 years ago

Order of build problem #2. I REALLY should have drilled and routed these before cutting them out. Would have saved me a world of trouble and all the risk potential of close order drilling. The four for the player number were, but the others were not. Noted, lesson learned.
IMG_8031.JPG
IMG_8032.JPG

These were done right. No way I was going to try and hold these while drilling. (I really need a heavy mounted clamp for my press...)
IMG_8033.JPG

These will be welded into place right after I drill the holes for the score mechs. Then reassembly!
IMG_8068.JPG
IMG_8069.JPG

#579 5 years ago

Looking good!! I'm so anxious to see the final product. But then I wouldn't have this thread to follow so take your time

#580 5 years ago

how heavy is this machine going to be when completed. I looks like it's going to be a monster

#581 5 years ago

I can see a nut exploding picking up the head alone.

#582 5 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

how heavy is this machine going to be when completed. I looks like it's going to be a monster

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I can see a nut exploding picking up the head alone.

Yes on both counts. Moving and setup on this sucker will be a team effort.

#583 5 years ago

Ok. Not that it isn't beautiful work... but I gotta ask.
Why even do the lite blockers in clear acrylic. Isn't the point to block lite leakage from around the backglass features?
Wouldn't it have been better do this in smoke transparent... or maybe even black opaque?

#584 5 years ago

could always use a silver adhesive backed opaque sticker material. Just line the inner wall of the ring. Would keep the light focused in the area its' suppose to. Since he has it cut out already anyway. And would still look transparent from the front.

#585 5 years ago

Back box relay board.
IMG_8073.JPG
IMG_8074.JPG

#586 5 years ago

bacon-waiter.jpg

#588 5 years ago

It's really coming together now. THANKS for posting pics of this project!!!

#589 5 years ago

WOW !

#590 5 years ago

I have been following this for some 6 months now and I can now answer your question. Yes you are "clearly" insane.

#591 5 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I can now answer your question

It never was a question - it was a statement.

#592 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Yes on both counts. Moving and setup on this sucker will be a team effort.

When ur ready to load just holler.

#593 5 years ago
Quoted from raddroxx:

When ur ready to load just holler.

Wow, your brave. I wouldn't want to have to lift 1000 lbs.

#594 5 years ago

1000 lbs really ?

No way.... holy F%$K

i knew it would be heavy but that is mind blowing..

#595 5 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

1000 lbs really ?

Not really.

3/4" acrylic weighs 4.3 lbs per square foot (137 pounds per 4x8 sheet).

3/4" plywood is 2.15 lbs per square foot (69 pounds per 4x8 sheet).

It could weigh 500 pounds! (I can't wait to see the final weight)

#596 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

It never was a question - it was a statement.

All these months and I have been reading it wrong. Silly me.

#597 5 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

All these months and I have been reading it wrong. Silly me.

As long as you understood the "clearly" reference...

#598 5 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

As long as you understood the "clearly" reference...

Yes I "clearly" did.

#599 5 years ago

I love Vid- Facts to the rescue once again.

But I vote final weight including the tilt and play balls- with the manual in the cabinet

@459.8.3 lb

We need a survey!

#600 5 years ago

I had a lot of catching up to do on this thread and what a fantastic read its been so far. keep up the excellent work and thank you so much for all of the updates

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 17.00
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 400.00
Playfields
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com
$ 89.99
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Haus
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside