Topic Stats

• 1,333 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 487 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

_JPF1642 (resized).jpg
_JPF1644 (resized).jpg
20170324_190725 (resized).jpg
IMG_9030 (resized).JPG
IMG_9028 (resized).JPG
IMG_9027 (resized).JPG
IMG_9026 (resized).JPG
WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20150328_14_13_12_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
WP_20151114_19_25_32_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
20150329_145546 (resized).jpg
IMG_6579_(resized).JPG
IMG_6576_(resized).JPG
IMG_6570_(resized).JPG
IMG_6573_(resized).JPG
IMG_6574_(resized).JPG

There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 27.
#501 5 years ago

I started reading this thread a few weeks ago. It looks awesome, great skill there.

There's one thing creeping my mind though, if you say the polycarbonate scratches easily, aren't you afraid of playing the machine leaving scratches where the ball moves and bounces? I never read anything about protecting the playfield against that.

#502 5 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I told ya collinite 885 rules !
There is NOTHING better !

I put it in my Amazon wish list for my next order.

#503 5 years ago

220 grit.
IMG_7225.JPG

600 grit.
IMG_7227.JPG

1000 grit.
IMG_7228.JPG

2500 grit.
IMG_7231.JPG

And now for a little polishing.

#504 5 years ago

w o w ! ! !

#505 5 years ago

take it to 1500 then 2000 you will thank me in the end...

3000 on an orbital 6" DA would be even better before you machine buff after the 2000...

#506 5 years ago

Thats how i do all my automotive resto big dollar paint jobs, and it is just amazing...

and it cuts the buffing to a minimum...

#507 5 years ago

you clearly have mad SKILLS very nice work

#508 5 years ago

If there is any chance machine buffing will induce any heat into the material, I suggest hand polish only.

#509 5 years ago

That stuff is actually tougher than paint, unless you lay on it hard with the buffer in one spot there should be no chance of damage...

#510 5 years ago

Since it does scratch easily, the ball might chew it up in a hurry, maybe you should scuff it and clearcoat the playfield. Would hold up to ball traffic and be easy to fix and buff when scratches do occur

#511 5 years ago

So after yesterday's marathon upper body work out, I decided to take it easy today. I thought I might finish the reassembly of the coin door and connected electrical items. (Flipper switches, game start switch, tilt mechs, etc.) I get the door aligned with coin return at the bottom...
IMG_7233.JPG

and the coin insert slots at the top...
IMG_7234.JPG

and go to close the door, only to see...
IMG_7236.JPG
IMG_7237.JPG
IMG_7238.JPG

Another "WTF" moment brought to you by the coin door and "It's one thing after another" amusements inc.! All I can do is laugh...

#512 5 years ago

Thats odd !

#513 5 years ago

you sure that whole panel is mounted correctly? I've had this before and found out I was using the wrong holes.

#514 5 years ago

that is an opps for sure. Happy Easter!

#515 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you sure that whole panel is mounted correctly? I've had this before and found out I was using the wrong holes.

Boy I sure hope so!! Anything is possible, but the coin return would also have to be moved on the inner panel to still line up with the cut out in the outer panel. Had to walk away and go run some errands so I haven't been back to look at it yet. If it was off by a little I would think I just didn't get the frame in right but it's off by a quarter inch. HAS to be an easy answer.

#516 5 years ago

are the frame bars correct? Is it one piece or 4 separate pieces?

#517 5 years ago

Four separate pieces. And by itself, the outer panel shuts quite nicely. Was only upon adding the guts that this happened. As far as I can tell this is how it was in the original machine, but it couldn't have been.

#518 5 years ago

and your 100% positive those panels are in the right order? there isn't one without a lip edge at all? or a notch cut out in a section? If not, your back return panel isn't properly reassembled.

#519 5 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

That stuff is actually tougher than paint, unless you lay on it hard with the buffer in one spot there should be no chance of damage...

Was more concerned with heat stress than damage. I tried to use a piece of cloth and Novus 2 on the end of a oscillating tool. It cracked before my eyes.

#520 5 years ago

Fixed it...
mencia1.jpg

Noticed this...
IMG_72401_edited-1.jpg

All better.
IMG_7241.JPG
IMG_7242.JPG

#521 5 years ago
Quoted from browne92:

Was more concerned with heat stress than damage. I tried to use a piece of cloth and Novus 2 on the end of a oscillating tool. It cracked before my eyes.

I've done a buttload of testing with this in mind just like I did earlier with the screw hole sizes. Reason #1 for not flame polishing the edges. Makes for a brittle piece. Turns out that the buffer and buffing compound I am using will burn my hand before it really harms the acrylic or polycarbonate. I often buff the smaller pieces with gloves on. Keeps me from buffing off my finger tips.

#523 5 years ago

Hoping this makes it to Expo this year in Chicago. There are going to be a ton of custom machines.
--Scott

#524 5 years ago

Looks like it's coming along real nice. Think I met my match when it comes to OCD. Keep up the fine work.

#525 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Hoping this makes it to Expo this year in Chicago. There are going to be a ton of custom machines.
--Scott

I forgot to mention that I really love this project. Great work!!!
--Scott

#526 5 years ago

Murphy's law strikes again.
Glad you figured this one out so quickly.

#527 5 years ago

This is going to look so sick when finished. Amazing!

#528 5 years ago

Yaaaa, I gave some good advice. I know cuz i've done it before.

#529 5 years ago

This project is so cool. Thanks for letting us watch the process.

#530 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yaaaa, I gave some good advice. I know cuz i've done it before.

Oh, you nailed it all right. I managed to mislabel them from the get go. And with the short one being up top, the angle made them appear to be the same. Lesson learned.

#531 5 years ago

I finished attaching the three trim pieces to the back box. Not sure if I like it or not but there is no turning back now!
IMG_7505.JPG
IMG_7506.JPG

The old back box had vents angled under the trim and through the top.
IMG_7507 copy.jpg

Mine will have some simple holes drilled through the top with this screen attached underneath.
IMG_7508.JPG

#532 5 years ago

I like the trim. I think once there are lights inside of it, the extra edges the trim provides will be great.

#533 5 years ago

+1 on the trim

#534 5 years ago

WHOAH. Wait. Screen. No.
What would you do if I offered to laser cut a grill for you at Techshop out of clear acrylic?!

#535 5 years ago

Looking good.

Zitt is on the right track. No mesh make it acrylic also.

#536 5 years ago

I JUST discovered this thread... and have spent well over an hour enjoying the details.
Looking forward to seeing this completed.
Hurry up, dammit.

#538 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Or just use clear plastic screening.

Yep, staggered hole perforated sheets are readily available in clear.

#539 5 years ago

Wow. Didn't see that one coming...wink, wink! While I REALLY like the look of the polished s/s through the acrylic I am nothing if not open to suggestion. The jury is still out between steel mesh, plastic mesh and simply drilling a nice pattern into the top itself. Being as acrylic sucks at absorbing/transferring (as compared to plywood) heat and excels at passing it along I expect there will be a fairly healthy exhaust from this thing. Any plastic mesh would have to be thick enough to handle that. We shall see...

Quoted from Zitt:

WHOAH. Wait. Screen. No.
What would you do if I offered to laser cut a grill for you at Techshop out of clear acrylic?!

A very kind offer, but no thanks. I'll work out something here.

#540 5 years ago

Meanwhile, a banner work day where much got done... for my employer. 8am phone call to go spend 8 hours in the hot Texas sun fixing the mistakes of the young and stupid with too much pick-up under their feet. Amazing how much damage a speeding, out-of-control 2500HD can do. Yikes. Truck destroyed, young-un got away with 5 staples in his head and a healthy hike in his parent's insurance rates. (Thanks for all your help, Buildy!)

Back on subject, I was very displeased with the way my playfield polishing was coming along. The final stages were hazy and awful.

Quoted from Gerry:

take it to 1500 then 2000 you will thank me in the end...
3000 on an orbital 6" DA would be even better before you machine buff after the 2000...

Actually, I figured out that the problem was the 600 wasn't enough to rid all the scratches of the 220 and the 1k wasn't enough to eliminate the scratches of the 600. Tried too much too fast. While it worked like a champ on the acrylic, the poly is a much different story. So after 3 attempts to get it right I figure this out. I am now going 220, 400, 600, 800, 1k, 1500 and we'll see from there. I got through 600 tonight before I lost the light and I already have better results than I did the week before.
IMG_7721.JPG

BTW, Gerry, thanks for reminding me that I HAVE a DA sander. (Cheap 4.5" model, but it works well enough.) I had been on my 1/4 sheet palm sander. Plum forgot all about that thing. Dee, dee-deeeeeeeeeeee!!

#541 5 years ago

On a related note, I decided I was spending way too much money on the little polishing compound sticks from Sears. So using the wife's Amazon Prime account, I got a pair of 1# blocks in two days, free shipping. MUCH more economical.
IMG_7715.JPG

#542 5 years ago

I was just thinking with those new fangled UV LED's and a little spray on the wires and some powder dusting and you could really have the wiring look cool.

http://www.blacklightworld.com/HandPowder_1_1.jpg

Is anyone else helping this guy past the insane point?

#543 5 years ago

Well yesterday was fun! Huh, Radroxx????
IMG_7732.JPG

Dumbass 4 wheelers...

#544 5 years ago

Today was much more relaxed than the rest of the weekend. Finally got some quality me time with my favorite project. After spending a couple more hours on the playfield rehab, I cut, trimmed and edge polished the rear panel for the head.
IMG_7765.JPG

#545 5 years ago

A little warm for it today...
IMG_7763.JPG

Cut, trimmed and edge polished the piece that holds all the scoring mechs and back box lighting.
IMG_7769.JPG

#546 5 years ago

Polished up some more misc. parts for the score mech panel. Note the one piece with the purple looking edge. If you are buying poly from a shop here's the clue that they are not ripping you off. Real poly will have that darkish tint to the edges. Plain acrylic always looks clear. Even when rough cut it looks the same.
IMG_7771.JPG

More...
IMG_7772.JPG

#547 5 years ago

Very cool. I really can't wait until the final project gets a video posted.

#548 5 years ago

My god man, everytime I open this thread it gets better. Most epic project on pinside. Can't wait till its done, but like a good book, will be bummed when it's over.

#549 5 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

My god man, everytime I open this thread it gets better. Most epic project on pinside. Can't wait till its done, but like a good book, will be bummed when it's over.

yuuuup.jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 300.00
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Singer Pinball Designs
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
There are 1333 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside