Meanwhile, a banner work day where much got done... for my employer. 8am phone call to go spend 8 hours in the hot Texas sun fixing the mistakes of the young and stupid with too much pick-up under their feet. Amazing how much damage a speeding, out-of-control 2500HD can do. Yikes. Truck destroyed, young-un got away with 5 staples in his head and a healthy hike in his parent's insurance rates. (Thanks for all your help, Buildy!)
Back on subject, I was very displeased with the way my playfield polishing was coming along. The final stages were hazy and awful.
Quoted from Gerry:
take it to 1500 then 2000 you will thank me in the end...
3000 on an orbital 6" DA would be even better before you machine buff after the 2000...
Actually, I figured out that the problem was the 600 wasn't enough to rid all the scratches of the 220 and the 1k wasn't enough to eliminate the scratches of the 600. Tried too much too fast. While it worked like a champ on the acrylic, the poly is a much different story. So after 3 attempts to get it right I figure this out. I am now going 220, 400, 600, 800, 1k, 1500 and we'll see from there. I got through 600 tonight before I lost the light and I already have better results than I did the week before.
BTW, Gerry, thanks for reminding me that I HAVE a DA sander. (Cheap 4.5" model, but it works well enough.) I had been on my 1/4 sheet palm sander. Plum forgot all about that thing. Dee, dee-deeeeeeeeeeee!!