Topic poll

“The $8K question, MMr or Hobbit?”

• The Hobbit 142 votes
    58%
  • Medieval Madness Remake 102 votes
    42%

(244 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MM Tlite.jpg
P1010487.JPG

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

If you where going to spend $8K on a new machine, which would you choose and why?
The next two coming down the pipe are MMr and Hobbit. I believe both of these machines are still "scheduled" to start shipping sometime during or by the end of 2014.
(I don't want to entertain discussions about buying other or multiple pins for this amount, lets keep it on topic.)

I had played a friends WOZ about a month or so ago and was blown away by how nice the machine was. There was however the big elephant in the room issue which is it took forever to get the machine and there are no guarantees the same thing wont happen again with Hobbit (until proven otherwise).

#2 5 years ago

I'm about to pull the plug on Hobbit and buy my buddy's METLE I wanna play now! I figure if Hobbit is "epic" I can buy one later. Life is just too damn short to wait!

#3 5 years ago

Neither. You are never going to get 8K worth of play out of one game, regardless of what it is.

for 8K, i'd rather have all of these games over either title

Jurassic Park
Swords of fury
Demolition Man
Phantom of the opera
DE Time machine
Starship troopers

then use the rest of the cash for some handy J's.

Yes you can get all 6 of those for under 8k, if you shop around and wait it out. I had everything on that list before for a grand total of $5100 total for all 6. Waiting is the key.

#4 5 years ago

Please don't listen to me, I am directly involved.

But I'm waiting for the Hobbit just to see what they do with 17 more transistors on the I/O board than WOZ has.

That's 17 more coils or motors.

LTG : )™

#5 5 years ago

MMR all the way baby!!!

MMR can be enjoyed sooner and will always be the classic that it is!

Rob

If you want a hobbit wait and buy one used later

#6 5 years ago

If I had to pick between those two, I'd go hobbit since I just sold my mm.

#7 5 years ago

The Hobbit for sure, MM is great but still an old pin with bad jokes that get stale very quickly and the gameplay follows close behind. If you have never owned it before or hardly played it in the past then maybe I could see it but why not get a brand new game. Captain Neo's list is fine if you have the room and want to play some very mediocre pinball.

#8 5 years ago

Seriously?? Pffft. Gee, do I want a state of the art pinball game with ALL the trimmings and advancements of the past 20 years or a pathetic attempt at making a buck off of a game that was deemed great considering it was built more than 20 years ago. HMMMM ...

#9 5 years ago

If was picking between only these two I would choose hobbit. Will only buy after released but I already own original MM so...

Captain Neo is your voice of reason here. You could get Congo Shadow Jhonny for that price. Seems better to me also. Insert whatever great 2-3K title you want in that formula.

#10 5 years ago

Congo, Shadow and JM are a much better list of pins than what Captain Neo put up there.

#11 5 years ago

you can insert whatever bang for the buck pins you want in that list. For me, that's my personal preference. I find SST more satisfying than MM by itself, let alone throwing JP in the mix. SST does need the woofer upgrade which makes the sounds 100X's better.

#12 5 years ago

Well do you have the patients to wait 3-4 years for a Hobbit half the people still don't have there WOzECLE yet!

#13 5 years ago

I had imagined that I'd get both, but our central air is on the fritz. Both systems are nearly 15 years old, and it looks like it makes sense to replace them completely. I probably should have but didn't see that coming, and it will certainly restrict my spending pretty dramatically for the foreseeable future. Oh, well. Reality interferes yet again.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

If you where going to spend $8K on a new machine, which would you choose and why?
The next two coming down the pipe are MMr and Hobbit. I believe both of these machines are still "scheduled" to start shipping sometime during or by the end of 2014.
(I don't want to entertain discussions about buying other or multiple pins for this amount, lets keep it on topic.)
I had played a friends WOZ about a month or so ago and was blown away by how nice the machine was. There was however the big elephant in the room issue which is it took forever to get the machine and there are no guarantees the same thing wont happen again with Hobbit (until proven otherwise).

Neither one...

In nearly 20 years of collecting, my pre-purchase of WoZ was the most disappointing thing to ever happen to me on a pinball deal.

I owned a Medieval Madness several years ago...it did not last but a few months in my collection. To me it is nothing but a so-so pin, not a great one by any means (I realize I am in the minority here).

For 8K you could land a White Water, BS Dracula, and a Shadow. Or if you want newer...get a deal on the many HUO AC/DC premiums out there and pocket the savings.

#15 5 years ago

I am waiting on a Hobbit. I love the innovation, quality, and passion from JJP.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

If you want a hobbit wait and buy one used later

Why? Do you mean you can't wait and buy a used MMR later?

#17 5 years ago

Buy the first one to actually exist

#18 5 years ago

I'm interested in the Hobbit. I won't be pre-ordering but if it makes it out I am likely a buyer for Hobbit.

#19 5 years ago

Timing could be a factor, but if you can wait, I would lean towards a Hobbit.

#20 5 years ago

Wait for JJP third original theme title.

#21 5 years ago

Until we actually see/play a final Hobbit this question is impossible to answer.

#22 5 years ago

I'd get Hobbit, but then I already own an MM.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Wait for JJP third original theme title.

Wondering when that might begin to ship?

#24 5 years ago

Whatever machine you can actually put your hand on and walk away with.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

One of them is pretty much the consensus greatest game of all time. No one has played a complete version of the other one, and probably won't until about a year after it ships. No offense at all to JJP, but "best ever" vs. "unknown" isn't even a contest.

#26 5 years ago

The Hobbit all the way and I'm saying that as a huge MM fan. I can only get one due to the price tag of both games (otherwise I would get both) and it's going to be a Hobbit for these reasons.

1. Deeper ruleset: Keith designs epic, unique and deep rulesets with a ton to do.
2. Widebody: More toys and features
3. Newer tech: The LCD on WOZ is a game changer and will be awesome for The Hobbit. Hobbit will also have color changing LED's.
4. Two Steps From Hell is doing the music: Awesome!
5. Keith!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

One of them is pretty much the consensus greatest game of all time. No one has played a complete version of the other one, and probably won't until about a year after it ships. No offense at all to JJP, but "best ever" vs. "unknown" isn't even a contest.

Yep, I'll take the "unknown" and unplayed Hobbit over MM all day every day, played the supposed "best ever" too many times now and nope, decided to cancel my order so its a no go.

That said, I'm sure Rick will do a great job with the remake.

#28 5 years ago

Neither.

Hobbit hasn't been born yet and his older brother has issues. It could be fantastic, just wait until its out.

MM is a great game, perhaps the greatest. MMR has not been born yet. I have no doubt it will play exactly the same, but wait until its out and make sure all the parts work etc. Same reason as WOZ.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Hobbit all the way and I'm saying that as a huge MM fan. I can only get one due to the price tag of both games (otherwise I would get both) and it's going to be a Hobbit for these reasons.
1. Deeper ruleset: Keith designs epic, unique and deep rulesets with a ton to do.
2. Widebody: More toys and features
3. Newer tech: The LCD on WOZ is a game changer and will be awesome for The Hobbit. Hobbit will also have color changing LED's.
4. Two Steps From Hell is doing the music: Awesome!
5. Keith!

THE DWARF

#30 5 years ago

Agree with Nevus, stay on the sidelines for this one. Let them produce, and you try them out. If you like one, get a cheaper huo after awhile.

#31 5 years ago

first made first payed is my motto. i won't deploy capital towards a pre order ever again.

#32 5 years ago

I'm in the same boat...what to do...but I bailed on bith picked up machines that I can play now and will wait until they are available then do both

#33 5 years ago

MM is old news. Great pin and has standed the test of time. Hobbit is new with new tech. I would go with the Hobbit. Its going to be a home run.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

Wrath of Olympus.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

As for now neither, pulled out of MMR to buy IM VE and a Baywatch and a Royal Rumble. So win win win and I will likely buy MMR later down the road when HUO are for sale and Hobbit when I see them shipping out the door, I'll buy in.

#37 5 years ago

What do you mean "if".:MMr should be here in a few months.The Hobbit ???

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Bigboythursday:

Well do you have the patients to wait 3-4 years for a Hobbit half the people still don't have there WOzECLE yet!

I don't have any patients. I'm a doctor, but not *that* kind of doctor!

But for the real question, I decided not to go with the MMr and may pick up a Hobbit after I get to play one.

#39 5 years ago

I'd go with the Hobbit, but that is mainly because its been far too long since I've been to the proctologist.

#40 5 years ago

MMRLE unless you want to wait for 3yrs for the Hobbit

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from damionrowe:

I'd go with the Hobbit, but that is mainly because its been far too long since I've been to the proctologist.

Wait...you want to go to the proctologist.

#42 5 years ago

I decided to save money and buy IM VE which is also a proven winner for $3500 cheaper than MMR.

I believe that my desire for MM had to do with it's exclusivity, or rarity but once they decided to make another thousand plus, I didn't want it as bad as before when it was out of reach and I could say I'm not paying $9k for one, I also said I wasn't paying $6k for an IM and so the re issue for much cheaper was more to my liking.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I had imagined that I'd get both, but our central air is on the fritz. Both systems are nearly 15 years old, and it looks like it makes sense to replace them completely. I probably should have but didn't see that coming, and it will certainly restrict my spending pretty dramatically for the foreseeable future. Oh, well. Reality interferes yet again.

If it went on a really hot day chances are it fried during a heavy load situation from the grid and edison just kept the grid on even though they were only sending you 150 volts! If that was the case and the lights were dim then your homeowners insurance will cover it. Call me if you want some help with this. 313-268-0541

#44 5 years ago

I'm with the neither group on this one also. Neither game exists yet. I won't buy any machine until I have seen it and played it from now on.

I also tend to prefer "bang for your buck" games, and there is always the possibility that either one of these machines might fall into that category somewhere down the road.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from eavedesian:

If it went on a really hot day...

Thanks, but that's not what happened. Much appreciated, in any case. Thanks for the offer.

#46 5 years ago

MM, you'll get it sooner and know what to expect.

#47 5 years ago

I think a lot of these questions boil down to how much room someone has in their basement. I'm in for MM, it's MM,it's awesome. Plus, I'm out of room.

For $8K you could buy a JD, JM, JP and something like a RS or a fun system 11. Are all those games combined more fun than MM, probably. But once you have 10+ games and you're out of room, you've got to start filling the spots with your 10 favorite, not just fun games, but the most fun games. "Fun value for pin spot" becomes more important than "fun value per dollar."

Now, if the cheaper games are also the most fun for you, then bonus!

Quoted from rai:

I decided to save money and buy IM VE which is also a proven winner for $3500 cheaper than MMR.

#48 5 years ago

wasn't expecting the results after I voted. I have a Hobbit paid in full and not buying a MMR because I owned an original for several years prior. I voted for MMR.
If you've never owned a MM, I can't see how an unproven game like Hobbit wins.

MM is a GREAT game and you know what you're getting [play wise anyway] and Hobbit *might* be great but lots more time will tell.

#49 5 years ago

That's a good point.

I think a couple reasons why a good amount of people are picking The Hobbit over MMR is seeing just how much you get in a game from JJP and...Keith, lol. There's going to be a lot of toys and features in The Hobbit that will be taken advantage of by Keith's great deep rule design. While I love MM I find I'm only focused on destroying castles. While I play a Keith game like WOZ I find myself trying to start multiple modes spread throughout the entire playfield. There's going to be much more to do rules wise with The Hobbit. When you factor in the 27" 1080P LCD display, interactive apron (sounded confirmed a while back), the number of features on the playfield, unique side art on both cabinet sides, and code support from JJP I think The Hobbit will offer more bang for your buck compared to MMR.

I wish I could afford both! Still thinking of a machine I could sell to help fund MMR, lol.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

If you've never owned a MM, I can't see how an unproven game like Hobbit wins.

How about the novelty of it being something fresh and NEW?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 88.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside