(Topic ID: 33494)

The 2012 Pinny's - End of Year Awards Show - the nominees are.....

By RTR

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DugFreez
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The Pinny's end of year awards show - good idea or not?”

• Awesome idea - lets do it! 41 votes
      72%
    • Stupid idea - go back to selling your dumb Dale Jr machine 16 votes
      28%

(57 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rtr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Here is an idea for recognizing excellence (and maybe some humor) in pinball for the year. Nominations can include (I am editing these as suggestions come in):

Best New Commercial Mod of the Year*
    Best Pinball Party of the Year*
    The Good Guy Award (Pinsider of the Year)*
    Best Tricked Out Machine (might nominate that black TAF I have seen pics of lately)*
    Best New Pinball Product
    Best 'One-Off' Mod of the Year (someone help me with naming this one if it gains traction)
    Game Room of the Year
    Best Restoration of a Classic Pin
    Best Comment of the Year (nominated comments can't be offensive or derogatory)
    Best Thread
    Best Pinside Repair Guide Posting
    Rookie of the Year

*Indicates this is a category that is generating support and may make the final cut of 6-8 different Pinny awards as determined by the Pinny Award Committee (currently just me)

Any interest or other ideas for categories? Has this been done before?

Winners just get bragging rights, but maybe I could send out trophies like the Dundees on the Office....

#6 11 years ago

OK - I am looking to track maybe 6 or 8 categories? I don't want it to get crazy or cumbersome. I dont want to commit to buying too many Pinny Statues.....

Main rule here is these all have to be positive. I will keep adding the suggestions at the top of the thread, so keep'em coming!

#8 11 years ago

That is a great start EV. I will keep up with this, see if it gets any traction with some of the really fun and cool people on Pinside (we know who we are).

If it does, I will create a thread and poll for the categories, let it run for a week or two - and then announce the winners!!!!!

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Best pin people have paid for but not played yet.

That one is funny, but trying to keep it positive.....

Plus, there are not enough contenders to make it interesting.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Clearly best comment of the year is "it will be worth 10k by christmas"!

Good idea Akuma - Added Best Comment to the list above.

Comments accepted for Pinny nominations can't be derogatory, negative, etc.

If you are at all referring to my Dale Jr valuation comments, i will have to turn down the nomination, although I am honored....

#17 11 years ago

Great ideas Buckles!! I am amending the Good Guy award to reflect that it is the Pinsider of the Year award.

and adding Best Thread, Best Story.

Keep them coming - I am starting to take this seriously!!

#18 11 years ago

So - I have adjusted the categories at the top of the thread and placed an * next to those that seem to have some support. Need to whittle it down to 6 categories for this first year, I think.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Best first pin purchase for first time owner? Or newcomer to the addiction. Kind of like rookie award or something like sports do. I searched for seven months and finally got one.

Noobiest noob? That might be me most days....

Throwing it up on the list up top (as Rookie of the Year) - thanks jackontherocks!

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I am unsure about WHEN a mod should be nominated (when it is first shown, officially announced or when it goes on sale). Having said that...here are my suggestions:

Good suggestions Dugfreeze as far as when the mod started, i spoke with the committe and they (me) said there will be some leniency this first year as to when the mod started.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

RTR, I think you've got a great idea here. I also think that you're going to end up with a 2 hour award show because people are going to keep giving you category ideas. Let me know if you need a "stand behind the podium holding the award" chick. lol

Thanks Blondetall - I will keep that in mind!

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from bluevegas:

best game room

Why didnt i think of that??!! Added at the top - thanks!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

That makes me wonder if there should be a "one off" mod category and a "commercial" mod category

I added the 'one-off' category at the top - good idea!

#42 11 years ago

OK guys and gals - I have made an official inquiry into getting some awards made up.

It looks like we have 4 categories up top (marked with an *) that have some genuine interest. I am defining genuine interest by more than one person being for it - either through comments or thumbs up - and others chiming in with some nominations.

I would like to have 6 to make a go of it. Plan on letting this thread run a couple more days to firm it up and give everyone a chance to chime in. Thanks for everyone who has participated!

#44 11 years ago

Still need a couple more categories to generate interest to see if we take this "to the next level" or to the upper playfield....

#50 11 years ago

Ok guys and gal - I haven't forgotten about the Pinny's, just have to work on my day job a little for the next couple of days. I will work on the important stuff over the weekend!

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

If someone could think up the proper category, EPTHEGEEK should get recognition for the terrific job he has done bringing the potential of Cactus Canyon to life.
    Dan

I like this one! Something to honor those projects that upgrade or enhance a game that does not fall under the mod category. Like adding speech and multi ball to HH, there was a pin bot project I remember something about, i am sure there are others i cant think of right now.

New life to an old pin award? Help me out on this one.

4 months later
    #61 10 years ago
    Quoted from bluevegas:

What ever happened to this idea? You still working on this RTR? I want my Pinny to hang in the game room

I will have to give this another run this year. It never gained enough traction and I started it too late. Have to diary this for a 11/1 start!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rtr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-2012-pinnys-end-of-year-award-show?tu=rtr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.