(Topic ID: 314767)

The 1976 Exidy Death Race Project is completed!

By PACMAN

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ElbowRoom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

42 (resized).jpg
    41 (resized).jpg
    40 (resized).jpg
    39 (resized).jpg
    38 (resized).jpg
    37 (resized).jpg
    36 (resized).jpg
    35 (resized).jpg
    34 (resized).jpg
    33 (resized).jpg
    32 (resized).jpg
    31 (resized).jpg
    30 (resized).jpg
    29 (resized).jpg
    28 (resized).jpg
    27 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

The 1976 Exidy Death Race Project.
    The game that was banned from arcades for being “too violent”.

I’ve restored close to 250 games and some have been pretty ambitious builds such as Sega Outrun Motion, Killer Shark, EDOT, Pinball Machines and others but nothing has been as ambitious as taking on these monsters. After 5 years and countless hours they are done!

Imagine the production line at Exidy firing back up and continuing to build more of these amazing and infamous machines. Imagine no more. These 10 games have been built with the same material, care and attention to detail as the original games way back then. Not only that, they have been upgraded to play 3 different Exidy games.

How it was done…

Electronics:

• Original PCB for Death Race code was extracted and rebuilt into a modern, reliable FPGA setup which has the exact same speed, graphics and sound but with additional features such as:

• Plays Death Race (Fires up on power up)
    • Plays Demolition Derby
    • Plays Alley Rally
    • High Score with Save/Reset
    • Free Play or .25 Play
    • Game Select Menu
    • Service Menu

• Original 23 inch Black and White CRT monitors. Motorola and Wells Gardner. This was important to maintain the right look of the pixels and their ghostly trails on the screen.

• New custom boards designed and built to control steering wheels.

• Custom made wiring harnesses. On the outset it seems like a fairly simple setup but its definitely not. The wire harnesses (especially connecting to the steering/shifter control panel) are no joke - these took months to dial in and get right.

• New, bright white incandescent light bulbs make the vibrant colors of the marquees blast through.

• New 4” 8 OHM 12 Watt shielded speakers, new power supplies, new power cords, new switches, LEDs for steering assemblies (keeps it nice and cool).

The Cabinets:

• Brand new cabinets hand cut and built using original cabinet as template.
    • Cabinets professionally painted with auto paints and clear coat (satin finish).
    • Cabinet artwork scanned at 1600 DPI and carefully restored in photoshop.
    • Artwork vectorized to make individual color screens for screen printing.
    • Colors matched to original game and screen printed directly to cabinets using enamel inks.

• N.O.S. (New Old Stock) Coin Entry assemblies.

• N.O.S. Start Buttons (found on marine/boat supply website of all places).

• Original 1970’s hot rod/go cart steering wheels called “the 500” by Super Performance Products (on 8 of the 10 machines, 2 have new OEM replacements).

• Metal shifters (with N.O.S. black ball handles), shafts and steering collars were fabricated from scratch.

• New aluminum fabricated metal brackets (marquee and bezel holders)

• New fabricated control panel. Made from thick textured plastic (heated and bent into form) then screen printed with “Start” “Reverse” “Forward”.

• Metal gas pedals and assemblies fabricated and powder coated. New springs installed.

• New vinyl leg levelers/feet that glide on smooth surfaces.

• New locks/and keys.

• New 5 1/4 inch speaker covers.

• Each game is numbered with a serial number tapped into the back inside cabinet.

• Instruction card (with dip switch settings) on inside back cabinet.

• Original marquees and bezels scanned at 1600 DPI and carefully restored in photoshop, vectorized and screen printed onto acrylic (black, white, yellow, purple, brown, green, magenta, cyan…8 colors!) It took many weeks to dial in the incredible colors used on these pieces - colors that can only be hit using screen printing.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg18 (resized).jpg18 (resized).jpg19 (resized).jpg19 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg20 (resized).jpg20 (resized).jpg21 (resized).jpg21 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg23 (resized).jpg23 (resized).jpg24 (resized).jpg24 (resized).jpg25 (resized).jpg25 (resized).jpg26 (resized).jpg26 (resized).jpg27 (resized).jpg27 (resized).jpg28 (resized).jpg28 (resized).jpg29 (resized).jpg29 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg30 (resized).jpg30 (resized).jpg31 (resized).jpg31 (resized).jpg32 (resized).jpg32 (resized).jpg33 (resized).jpg33 (resized).jpg34 (resized).jpg34 (resized).jpg35 (resized).jpg35 (resized).jpg36 (resized).jpg36 (resized).jpg37 (resized).jpg37 (resized).jpg38 (resized).jpg38 (resized).jpg39 (resized).jpg39 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg40 (resized).jpg40 (resized).jpg41 (resized).jpg41 (resized).jpg42 (resized).jpg42 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

Killer!!! Hadn’t seen much from you lately. Always love to see your restores! Great work as always!

#3 1 year ago

Are you kidding me? I was blown away by the original one you did. And then, you did TEN??

High levels of awesomeness.

I did play this game when it came out and remember it well. Lots of fun.

Geez, this is just an unbelievable sight.

#4 1 year ago

Plainly a ton of work went into these, and they look amazing!

#5 1 year ago

Out(friggen)standing work sir!!!

Loved that game!

So are these for sale?

#6 1 year ago

Great job. That is very cool.

#7 1 year ago

Impressive.
    I for sure remember Demolition Derby

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Killer!!! Hadn’t seen much from you lately. Always love to see your restores! Great work as always!

Thanks man! Covid almost got me but i'm still here lol

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from SBrothers:

Out(friggen)standing work sir!!!
    Loved that game!
    So are these for sale?

Yeah i have a few left that aren't spoken for.

#11 1 year ago

Fantastic job!! Now I just need to hit the lottery.

#12 1 year ago

Wow, those look awesome. Love your attention to detail..

#13 1 year ago

I have to say very ambitious and awesome work, kudos!

#14 1 year ago

Thanks guys! Only have a couple left.

#15 1 year ago

Words.
    Cannot.
    Describe.

Fantastic job !

#16 1 year ago

"• Original 23 inch Black and White CRT monitors. Motorola and Wells Gardner. This was important to maintain the right look of the pixels and their ghostly trails on the screen."

Could not possibly agree more, you've done some truly excellent work here!

#17 1 year ago

Amazing ! Thank you for sharing !

LTG : )

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Amazing ! Thank you for sharing !
    LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd!

#19 1 year ago

Quite simply one of the most impressive things I have ever seen on Pinside. Great work!

#20 1 year ago

Absolutely incredible !!! Miss seeing your restores.. Just curious what these cost to buy?

#21 1 year ago

Wow.

What made the wiring harnesses so tough?

#22 1 year ago

So very awesome! They look fantastic!

#23 1 year ago

Nice job.

Couple questions...

1) What did you use as a power supply? Switcher? (Nothing wrong with that, just wondering).
    2) If someone had an original Death Race PCB, could it plug into the wiring harness you made without any adapter needed?

Joe

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

Nice job.
    Couple questions...
    1) What did you use as a power supply? Switcher? (Nothing wrong with that, just wondering).
    2) If someone had an original Death Race PCB, could it plug into the wiring harness you made without any adapter needed?
    Joe

1. Yep a switcher.
    2. Yeah but i don't have any more harnesses.

#25 1 year ago

Amazing work! As the owner of an original DR machine, I can rally appreciate the time and attention you put into the details.

#26 1 year ago

They look fantastic! Excellent work!

#27 1 year ago

Incredible! Any chance you printed any extra marquees? I would love to have one if you'll be selling any...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-1976-exidy-death-race-project-is-completed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.