(Topic ID: 294827)

The 1971 Project : help me get these machines back in shape!

By Gott72

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Gott72
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

40652EE7-460E-4405-8FBF-2BEDC2CD5DAE (resized).jpeg
B0EF70A2-C1DF-4E76-84C9-8E4579572DC6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0463 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0462 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0461 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0465 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0466 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0467 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0468 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0229 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0454 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0456 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0457 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0459 (resized).jpeg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 months ago

Old vs. new--ASTRO body cabinet. The machine should be together before Monday.

Final step will be shine-polishing the ss rails and nailing them back on with new and shiny screw-nails.

IMG_0441 (resized).jpegIMG_0442 (resized).jpegIMG_0451 (resized).jpegIMG_0452 (resized).jpeg
#52 8 months ago

Looking really good!

#53 8 months ago

FINISHED! Astro is back together and works. I played it, and it works well. I have some small problems to work out. Maybe one of you can help me with the newest...

I GET SHOCKED BY THE FLIPPER BUTTONS!

The fiche paper wore off or something. Is there a work around that is good, perfect, easy, or reliable? I was looking for pre-cut fiche paper, but couldn't find it. Am I just to do my own cutting?

IMG_0454 (resized).jpegIMG_0455 (resized).jpegIMG_0456 (resized).jpegIMG_0457 (resized).jpegIMG_0458 (resized).jpegIMG_0459 (resized).jpeg

Side rails need to be sanded to a shine. That might happen tomorrow.

The bulbs in Astro's backglass are...wrong. I need frosted guys up there. The new back glasses work, but they lack an extra-black layer behind everything to halt residual light leaking about.

#54 8 months ago

Firstly, reverse the line cord plug in the socket. Secondly, you can put some shrink tubing on the wire forms both where they contact the flipper switches, and where they contact the buttons.

#55 8 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Firstly, reverse the line cord plug in the socket. Secondly, you can put some shrink tubing on the wire forms both where they contact the flipper switches, and where they contact the buttons.

Oops! Never mind. "Astro" has the switches mounted in the cabinet, directly in contact with the buttons. No flipper contact wireforms on that game!
And, if it has the correct three prong power plug, you can't reverse it in the outlet.

#56 8 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Oops! Never mind. "Astro" has the switches mounted in the cabinet, directly in contact with the buttons. No flipper contact wireforms on that game!
And, if it has the correct three prong power plug, you can't reverse it in the outlet.

Would scotch tape work?

Or regular paper?

The shock is mild, because I am on carpet with wood underlayment, but if I was connected to water or concrete it could be bad. Plus it ruins the game to get shocks every flipper hit.

Isn't it only 6v at that point?

#57 8 months ago

Fix it. If you can feel it, regardless of the voltage, it's being conducted to your body.
Only .5A can kill you if it has a good path through you to ground.
The worst shock I ever got in my life was from a 24V power source. I was barefoot, soaking wet, and standing on a concrete floor, so I got the full effect.
Forget scotch tape. Order new flipper switches with the insulating paper from PBR.
Also, if you installed a new power cord, the hot wire should be connected to the fuse. That game should have a grounded cord, but I don't think they did a really good job grounding these games from the factory.

#58 8 months ago

Old and new.... just without the side rails.

IMG_0229 (resized).jpegIMG_0454 (resized).jpeg
#59 8 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Also, of you installed a new power cord, the hot wire should be connected to the fuse. That game should have a grounded cord, but I don't think they did a really good job grounding these games from the factory.

DONE! It's all done properly, and I just installed the new cord today. I'll just have to get those new switched.... these are old-moldy anyway.

#61 8 months ago

Excellent! I'll grab those after I move house in 2 weeks. Thanks for that!

#62 8 months ago
Quoted from Gott72:

Excellent! I'll grab those after I move house in 2 weeks. Thanks for that!

I wouldn't bother replacing the fiche paper. Just order two new switch assemblies and be done with it.

#63 7 months ago

RAILS ON.

I did the old 220-400-800-1500-3000-5000-foam buffer-steel wool+polish routine. My hope was to get MIRROR rails with super reflective qualities. However, I got what you see... which is nice, but not the desired result. Instead of mirrors, I have semi-reflective with buttery smooth feel. mmmm.... buttery smooth metal. They look good, just not AS GOOD as I envisioned.

Now they get packed up and shipped to Palm Desert, where we move in 10 days. After that I can begin revisions again and get these guys closer to excellent.

Remaining issues:

KING KOOL--AS relay needs total fine tuning, new glass, various tightenings and adjustments to switches, still fooling with the kicker down front tossing the ball too far and not enough simultaneously. (And playfield touchup)

ASTRO--extra balls come fast and furious for no reason once you light up everything, new flipper switches, new glass (and playfield touchup).

NOW--1st Player 1000 reel is a clunk-o-junk and needs work, mild tweaks to switched and targets, new flipper switches.

IMG_0461 (resized).jpegIMG_0462 (resized).jpegIMG_0463 (resized).jpegIMG_0464 (resized).jpegIMG_0465 (resized).jpegIMG_0466 (resized).jpegIMG_0467 (resized).jpegIMG_0468 (resized).jpeg
#64 7 months ago

No moving sale?

#65 7 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

No moving sale?

No way. These are keepers.

#66 7 months ago
Quoted from Gott72:

No way. These are keepers.

After all that work, I don't blame you.

1 month later
#67 6 months ago

1971… arise.

40652EE7-460E-4405-8FBF-2BEDC2CD5DAE (resized).jpegB0EF70A2-C1DF-4E76-84C9-8E4579572DC6 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The EM Scientist
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!