Today I stripped off KING KOOL's main cabinet and need to get it out to the garage to strip two layers of paint.
The OLD PAINT....under the rails... it's so ugly. I'm not sure what the original color was, since the paints can age and look hellishly ugly after 50 years.
A newer paint job was applied about a year ago by the person I purchased the game from. He didn't like the ugly violet, either. His choice was to use white. Despite hand painting, it wasn't so bad, once the metal was polished and renewed, but I wanted a proper paint job.
Originally I was going to do a proper and thorough layer of white. In the end, the purists on PInside made me bend and go for something closer to the original. However, I couldn't go for that ugly purple. IT IS DEPRESSINGLY DISMAL. My final paint choice was French Lilac 2x by Rustoleum. It brings out the new backglass (by BGRESTO) brilliantly!! Look at how the colors work with that original art... it was bedazzling when I put the back together yesterday.
I suspect it will be two weeks before the KING KOOL cab is painted and reassembled.
WHAT I LEARNED FROM PAINTING, and what you might want to know------> Use Rustoleum, DO NOT USE MONTANA CANS.
I began with the thought that I wanted THE BEST. So I ordered a ton of Montana cans in all the colors I needed, along with primers and base colors and gloss finishes. I'd use Montana ONLY for the stencil colors, unless you can find the proper color with Rustoleum.
Reasons I will NEVER buy Montana again:
1) Very little pigment/spray/volume compared to Rustoleum or other mainstream sprays
2) Cans are extremely easy to clog, and your $10 flushes away without even one spray to the cabinet
3) Unless you shake these cans for 20+ minutes, the color is globular, and specks are everywhere, even after shaking 30 minutes, I've still had beads coming out
4) Chalky finish to colors
5) Splatters constantly on some cans, no matter what goes on with shaking and time shaken. Paint then dribbles all over your hand. Very few cans stayed clean and consistent
6) Price is insane, compared to locally available cheap-ies like Rustoleum. Rustoleum is circa $4-4.50/can in the US. Montana from Dick Blick is $8-$12/can.
You can find your own results, if you don't believe my breakdown. I blew hundreds of dollars on Montana and wound up having to complete the job with the excellent Rustoleum.
MINOR TROUBLE: you can see how layering of paint and gloss caused some wrinkling of the base coats. This might be due to several things.
1) Gloss was applied too thick over base coat (base coats did have over 24 hours to dry as per instructions)
2) Gloss was applied in 95º heat.... it was an extremely hot week when the gloss went down
3) High humidity
4) Layering of Rustoleum over Montana might have had a lack of cohesiveness
Taking apart these games was SO DIFFICULT the first time (when I did lesser work to KING KOOL in Feb-Mar.).
NOW came a few weeks ago, and it was still rather tough to disassemble.
KING KOOL came apart quick and easy this morning, knowing exactly where all the screws are, and how to unfasten layers of metal enshrouding the wood.
Once you learn how they made these, it is super easy to work on. For nobodies: take it slow and learn it, especially if you plan to restore several machines. The first will be a PITA, and then it gets simple.
ASTRO's body comes to the paint booth in 2 weeks.
All 6 side rails will be prepped for high-polish attempts in 2-3 weeks. I'm going to use a grinder with hook-n-loop pads @ 220-400-600-800-1200-2000-3000 grit, followed by steel rub down with liquid polish and a buffing pad. My plan is to get mirror-like shine on the side rails, or at best a clean set of rails with rather smooth finish providing some luxurious luster. Photos to come.
By October I hope these are all together, because we are moving house.
IMG_0425 (resized).jpegIMG_0426 (resized).jpegIMG_0427 (resized).jpegIMG_0428 (resized).jpeg