paul5 (resized).jpg
paul4 (resized).jpg
paul3 (resized).jpg
paul2 (resized).jpg
paul1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg
IMG_0052.jpg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

So I've enjoyed this game since I bought it from a friend who did a great job shopping it for me.

-There were only 1,900 of this 2 player Gottlieb game made.

-Art Stenholm did the artwork for this game and it has a beautiful backglass.

-There are six flippers, one pair at top, one pair in the middle and one pair at the drain hole.

I'll post a gameplay video of this game soon.

Bruce

#2 8 years ago

Here is a photo of the backglass. It's in good condition with slight touchups.

Bruce

PaulBunyanBG.JPGPaulBunyanBG.JPG

2 weeks later
#3 8 years ago

looks good i love playing mine

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from dodgeball2014:

looks good i love playing mine

Thanks for chiming in. It's an underrated title in my opinion.

This game doesn't reset after each ball. (I'll be explaining the gameplay and rules here soon)

Bruce

#5 8 years ago

"Paul Bunyan" is one I've never played. I hope to give it a try sometime.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Paul Bunyan" is one I've never played. I hope to give it a try sometime.

I hope you get to try it sometime. I'll post a video of the game in action as soon as I can so you can see what it's like.

Bruce

#7 8 years ago

i owned for a couple of years, sold only due to lack of space. look at that glass, what dude wouldnt want a couple of hot chicks tending to his needs? the woods, the happy animals, its just great. i smiled every time i saw it. its a fun game too, and not easy. my favorite shot was the one at the top , near the ball arch. you have to bank it just right off the angled rubber, like making a shot playing pool. one thing i did was swap out the flipper linkages for ones i made of aluminum. the lighter weight made them much more responsive and the game play much better. its fun to go " up the ladder" with the ball.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnut:

my favorite shot was the one at the top , near the ball arch. you have to bank it just right off the angled rubber, like making a shot playing pool

Agreed. I just took photos of that rollunder at the top, near the ball arch to show what it's like. You get many shots at it with the top flippers or you can try to bounce the ball through it.

Quoted from pinnut:

one thing i did was swap out the flipper linkages for ones i made of aluminum. the lighter weight made them much more responsive and the game play much better.

Good idea. I did an easily reversible personal mod on mine removing the linkages and rewiring Gottlieb 70's flipper switches in place. It makes the game easier to play when you have arthritic hands.

Quoted from pinnut:

its fun to go " up the ladder" with the ball.

It sure is. I'll show photos of that part tomorrow unless someone else wants to post photos of it.

Here is the the rollunder at the top, near the ball arch. (it can score 500 points or an Extra Ball when lit for Shoot Again)
Rollunder.jpgRollunder.jpg

and here is a photo showing the top pair flippers with their "banks" aptly described by pinnut.
Top Flipper banks.jpgTop Flipper banks.jpg
As you can see. The action is fast and furious when you get the ball in between the bumpers and try to bump it up through the rollovers. (not to mention trying to bump it back up to the top pair of flippers so you can try a shot at the rollunder)

Bruce

#9 8 years ago

The Gottlieb Humpty Dumpty pinball machine had 6 flippers but they were inverted.

I think "Paul Bunyan" is the only pinball machine with 6 flippers in normal position?

SCORING:

Red A target or Red A rollover lights up the Red pop bumper for 10 points and the Red side rollover for 100 points.
Yellow B target or Yellow B rollover lights up the Yellow pop bumper for 10 points and TWO Yellow side rollovers for 100 points.
Green C target or Green C rollover lights up the Green pop bumper for 10 points and the Green side rollover for 100 points.

Getting ABC in order lights up:

Either of the Bullseye targets on the sides for a chance to light up the top Rollunder for Shoot Again award. It's a tough shot!

Either of the Kickout holes on the sides for four times the normal score. The Kickouts normally score 50, 100 or 150 but when lit they score 200, 400 or 600!

This game does not reset after each ball. This means being a 2-Player game that you can get the ABC in order then drain the ball leaving the Awards available for the second player to claim.

Here is a mid-playfield shot with the ABC targets/rollover lanes lit just after the game has reset.
PB MidPF.jpgPB MidPF.jpg

This is a mid-playfield shot after getting ABC in order with the Pop Bumpers, side Rollovers, Bullseye target and Kickout hole lit up.
Getting the one lit up letter is worth 500 points and resets back to ABC as shown in the previous photo.
PB Mid PF Lit Up.jpgPB Mid PF Lit Up.jpg

More to come.
Bruce

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

The Gottlieb Humpty Dumpty pinball machine had 6 flippers but they were inverted.

I think "Paul Bunyan" is the only pinball machine with 6 flippers in normal position?

I think you got it backwards. Humpty Dumpty, the first game with flippers had them in the normal position. When they flipped them around they became inverted.

Carry on....

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think you got it backwards. Humpty Dumpty, the first game with flippers had them in the normal position. When they flipped them around they became inverted.

I forgot about that normal vs inverted discussion.

Will carry on with more about this game soon.

Bruce

#12 8 years ago

You have three choices when the ball is in this area:
1. Take a chance and try for one of the ABC targets and risk draining the ball or losing it to the Outlanes.
2. Try for the Kickout holes.
3. Try to get the ball back up to the mid-playfield area and safety.

The lit Kickout hole scores 400 in this photo.
PB Lower PF.jpgPB Lower PF.jpg

Gameplay video coming soon.
Bruce

#13 8 years ago

Here is the video of my "Paul Bunyan" showing a 2 Player game. My wife was gracious enough to play both players while I recorded the video. It's her favorite pinball machine because there is more action with 6 flippers.

My friend did a great job shopping it for me 20 years ago and it still plays like the day I got it from him.

Enjoy
Bruce

#14 8 years ago

I found one on Ebay. It is slightly pricey but in really sharp condition.

ebay.com link: 1968 Gottlieb Paul Bunyan Very Cool Hard to find Game Classic Pinball Fun

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I found one on Ebay. It is slightly pricey but in really sharp condition.

Wow. Nice looking game but I think it's too pricey for a game that's not an "A title".

I'd like to find a parts machine with nice playfield for my game so I can do a PF swap.

Mine has planking and wear If anyone sees one available, please let me know.

Bruce

#16 8 years ago

I joined the club tonight.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

...and just got it set up.

Backglass is quite nice:

IMG_0059.jpgIMG_0059.jpg

Playfield looks fun:

IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0057.jpg

...and plastics are immaculate:

IMG_0061.jpgIMG_0061.jpgIMG_0060.jpgIMG_0060.jpgIMG_0063.jpgIMG_0063.jpgIMG_0062.jpgIMG_0062.jpgIMG_0064.jpgIMG_0064.jpg

Thanks go out to Pinsider Pecos' Project Pinball thread for helping me find this one. Looking forward to getting her playing.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#17 8 years ago

Congratulations and welcome to the club, Ryan!

You found a nice one. Have you ever played this game?

You might already be aware that the cabinet was repainted and that some of the plastics are missing acorn nuts. It's hard to tell from seeing the top only but you will most likely need a Palnut Removal Tool from PBR for unscrewing the posts and acorn nuts separately so you can strip the playfield for cleaning.

I sincerely hope this isn't a "re-theme" project.
Bruce

#18 8 years ago

Congratulations and welcome to the club, Ryan!

You found a nice one.

Thanks, Bruce!

Have you ever played this game?

Never! I've always been attracted to that hilarious backglass. ...but never even looked at the playfield until one came up for sale in my area recently. 6 flippers on an EM game??? Very interesting, with shots accessible only via each separate flipper. ...but those double outlanes? WOOF! Those look brutal! Mine's not CURRENTLY working, so I guess I'll find all that out soon enough.

Anyhow, it sat around craigslist long enough where I was able to score it for a nice price.

cabinet was repainted

Oh yes.

plastics are missing acorn nuts

11 new palnuts were ordered today!

Palnut Removal Tool

Also coming my way in the same order!

Get ready for the Honey-boo-boo pin!

Not really.

A large part of why I got this machine was the art. Not a chance I'm sanding it down, except for maybe that cabinet.

...now, let's see, what could I put there besides a red and yellow diamond?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

PinballFever said:
Have you ever played this game?
Never! I've always been attracted to that hilarious backglass. ...but never even looked at the playfield until one came up for sale in my area recently. 6 flippers on an EM game???

Hopefully you'll get it up and running soon so you can find out what it's like to play.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

PinballFever said:
plastics are missing acorn nuts
11 new palnuts were ordered today!
OPPinballFever said:
Palnut Removal Tool
Also coming my way in the same order!

You're on the right track then.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

PinballFever said:
Get ready for the Honey-boo-boo pin!

You made me laugh with that one.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

A large part of why I got this machine was the art.

I like the artwork by Art Stenholm too.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...now, let's see, what could I put there besides a red and yellow diamond?

Let me know if you need stencils for a repaint. I can also use them if I make some.

Bruce

#20 8 years ago

Let me know if you need stencils for a repaint. I can also use them if I make some.

Good to know. Thanks so much for the offer.

The generic red and yellow diamonds are about the only artwork on this pin I'm not a fan of. If I decide to repaint, I'd probably create some new art for it...but that's getting ahead of myself. SO MANY PROJECTS! Ha-ha!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

The generic red and yellow diamonds are about the only artwork on this pin I'm not a fan of. If I decide to repaint, I'd probably create some new art for it.

Blasphemy I say! A complete re-theme is fine but I haven't seen a repainted cabinet with a different theme that looked good...yet!

The ones that are well painted and faithful to the original design just gladden my heart when I see them and they look so...right.

Bruce

#22 8 years ago

Ha-ha! I hear ya. ...but I'm a wacky artist, what can I say. One thing's for sure, it'd be hard to make my cab look much worse than it does right now.

IMG_0051.jpgIMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpgIMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpgIMG_0053.jpg

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

it'd be hard to make my cab look much worse than it does right now.

I wonder if you can remove the paint and leave the original paint that's underneath it?

Bruce

1 year later
#25 6 years ago

I just picked me one up today so I gotta git in where I fit in...someone needed to wake this thread up anyway.

paul1 (resized).jpgpaul1 (resized).jpg

paul2 (resized).jpgpaul2 (resized).jpg

paul3 (resized).jpgpaul3 (resized).jpg

paul4 (resized).jpgpaul4 (resized).jpg

paul5 (resized).jpgpaul5 (resized).jpg

paul6 (resized).jpgpaul6 (resized).jpg

paul7 (resized).jpgpaul7 (resized).jpg

5 months later
#26 6 years ago

Hello All, I have a 1968 Paul Bunyan for sale located in Huntsville, TX if anyone is interested, I posted this in the classifieds and there are some pictures.

Could you all give me some guidance on fixing the right middle and top right flippers, they stopped flipping just recently. Any idea on the fix/remedy for this?

Thanks everyone,

Fraser

2 weeks later
#27 6 years ago

I picked one up last summer......Even has the 5 cent coin mech in it!
Have to go through it yet got everything working but the roll under at top
doesn't seem to score.
Has anyone replaced the main flipper with a hotter "orange dot"?

20170606_202206 (resized).jpg20170606_202206 (resized).jpg

20170606_212419 (resized).jpg20170606_212419 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#28 6 years ago
Quoted from scharpestguy:

Could you all give me some guidance on fixing the right middle and top right flippers, they stopped flipping just recently. Any idea on the fix/remedy for this?

Did you get it fixed? (You might get your answer by posting in the EM Tech section)

Quoted from mrbanjo:

I picked one up last summer......Even has the 5 cent coin mech in it!
Have to go through it yet got everything working but the roll under at top
doesn't seem to score.
Has anyone replaced the main flipper with a hotter "orange dot"?

Looking good! Was the roll under fixed? (I've never replaced the main flipper coil with an orange dot but there's a lot of constant action as it is now which makes for fun gameplay)

Bruce

#29 6 years ago

Does anyone know off hand how or where to change 5 ball to 3 ball play?

5 balls is too many balls in my opinion when you're playing a 2 player game.

I looked in the backbox recently for this setting but maybe it's on the playfield underside or in cabinet?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

#30 6 years ago

Found and changed to 3 ball. It was underside the playfield.

3 months later
#31 5 years ago

Been working on my Paul Bunyan to get everything working and realizing that the sequence Bank doesn’t reset at the beginning of each game. I have tried everything I can see as obvious paths on the schematic. For you guys that have it working, when exactly does the bank reset on a new game? Before, after, or during points reset? Prior to ball being served?

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballTiger225:

Been working on my Paul Bunyan to get everything working and realizing that the sequence Bank doesn’t reset at the beginning of each game. I have tried everything I can see as obvious paths on the schematic. For you guys that have it working, when exactly does the bank reset on a new game? Before, after, or during points reset? Prior to ball being served?

I sold my game a while ago, but recall that the resets after a full sequence..A,B,C and then hitting the 500 moving target. This has nothing to do with the start or end of a new game.

#33 5 years ago

So if you had a game over and A & B were put out but C was still lit , upon a restart of a new game C would be the only Letter lit?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballTiger225:

So if you had a game over and A & B were put out but C was still lit , upon a restart of a new game C would be the only Letter lit?

Yes, the new game would start at the same point of the A B C sequence as the last game ended. The reset bank is only activated by earning hitting the 500 point target.

#35 5 years ago

Wow, I feel dumb. Been chasing a ghost. Cheers and thank you!

#36 5 years ago

I should add that the extra ball roll-under if lit at the end of a game will not roll over to the next game. That's the only part of the bonus sequence that does not continue game to game.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Yes, the new game would start at the same point of the A B C sequence as the last game ended. The reset bank is only activated by earning hitting the 500 point target.

The competition factor for this game is Player 1 would set up the A,B,C then drain the ball and Player 2 would rack up points on the 500 point rollunder, the 100 point when lit rollovers and the lit up kickout holes which are worth as much as 600 points then hit the moving 500 point light before draining the ball leaving you to get the A,B,C again.

#38 5 years ago

I didn't realize I haven't shared the personal mod I did with my game because the flipper linkages were hurting my hands.

I removed the mechanical linkages and used two 70's Gottlieb flipper switches and a small jones plug from my friend to do the mod, wiring, running it along the harness, fastening and soldering and heat shrink tubing it all up. It's easily reversible too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/personal-touch-to-your-em-games/page/6#post-2508653

(After seeing the photo I posted of the flipper linkages in the "Personal Touch" to your EM thread. I realize they need to be de rusted and tumbled. After that I may put the linkages back in)

What's your verdict on flipper linkages vs. flipper switches?

#39 5 years ago

I like that flipper button mod! The original buttons are too heavy/slow.

#40 5 years ago

So I have discovered now that the game will not award the extra ball.

Q relay pulls in when I hit bullseye target and lights the roll under light at the top.

When ball passes under the roll under it pulls in the rollunder relay and awards points but Extra Ball Relay (C relay) doesn’t ever pull in.

I can press the switch on the relay and “same player shoots again” light turns on for as long as I hold the switch down.

C relay passes 9v battery test

#41 5 years ago

From memory, there are 2 switches activated under the playfield by the roll under feature at the top of the playfield. I would clean and make sure those switches are adjust properly.

5 months later
#42 5 years ago

I have a relay assembly missing on mine. AS relay (2 coin per play) apparently not needed? Just wires unsoldered

8 months later
#43 4 years ago

Just got new correct length 31.5" legs for my game. The game's gonna look fantastic with them after it's restored.

71285480_420728432134623_5142456715362435072_n (resized).jpg71285480_420728432134623_5142456715362435072_n (resized).jpg
1 year later
#44 3 years ago

Just got new correct length 31.5" legs for my game. The game's gonna look fantastic with them after it's restored.[quoted image]

Any update on that restoration on Paul Bunyan ?

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Any update on that restoration on Paul Bunyan ?

Coin door has been de-rusted, will buff/polish it on the bench grinder. I'm doing 2 other pinball machine projects at the same time. (Grand Champion)

IMG_20201012_185104878 (resized).jpgIMG_20201012_185104878 (resized).jpg
#46 3 years ago

You aren't pushing yourself to much are you? Just that I know some like to focus on one project at a time. Looks great and keep us posted on any new updates.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

You aren't pushing yourself to much are you?

It's not that. I'm prioritizing the projects to work on and the Grand Champion restores come first. You can see the progress here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-1953-williams-grand-champion-restorations-yes-two-of-them

4 weeks later
#48 3 years ago

Hi

Does anyone have extra plastics to sell? I need the bottom 2....

Thx
Pete

1E7757D6-F0F8-4F18-A2D0-09DF03086E6F (resized).jpeg1E7757D6-F0F8-4F18-A2D0-09DF03086E6F (resized).jpeg9D8B2252-BEC4-40C8-96EB-89A2A099ED92 (resized).jpeg9D8B2252-BEC4-40C8-96EB-89A2A099ED92 (resized).jpeg
#49 3 years ago
Quoted from petebest:

Does anyone have extra plastics to sell? I need the bottom 2....

I have an extra set that I could sell. I'd prefer to sell the set of plastics if possible.

#50 3 years ago

I have an extra set that I could sell. I'd prefer to sell the set of plastics if possible.

Hi-

How much for the set?

Thx
Pete

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-1968-gottlieb-paul-bunyan-club-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.