(Topic ID: 140614)

The 1964 Williams Palooka Club - Welcome!

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by leckmeck
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Palooka Caps 1 (resized).jpeg
Palooka Caps 2 (resized).jpeg
ball count (resized).jpg
cap-underneath (resized).jpg
cap-end (resized).jpeg
center-target (resized).png
palooka-targets (resized).jpg
palooka-ball-count-unit (resized).jpeg
catalog-plungers (resized).jpeg
palooka-plungers (resized).jpeg
palooka-backglass (resized).jpeg
lightbox-insert-twist-ties (resized).jpeg
IMG_1467 (resized).JPG
IMG_1465 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Didn't Cowman used to own that one. I seem to remember the custom paint.

Yep, I picked it up from him a year or 2 ago. I pretty much had it working other than the center rollover switch wasn't awarding points, but now the score motor just runs. I've been putting off looking at it for almost a year and I came to the realization that I just really don't enjoy working on EM games, I prefer working on SS games. Hopefully it will be a straightforward fix for someone.

2 months later
#52 8 years ago

Hi Guys,

Starting to explore my Palooka and have a couple questions for owners.

First, What legs do you have and do you think they are original? I have some 27" legs for mine that seem to have just a rough steel finish on them. Ran them thru the Evapo-rust, but they will either want to be painted (hammer-tone grey) or plated, though that option is quite costly. What do you have? Search on IPDb proves inconclusive.

Secondly, I have a hole in one of my pop caps (not unlike Bruce's). It's the center one with 'Jet' and mustard colored outer flange. If anyone has upgraded theirs with new from PBR, perhaps willing to pass their old one along? I could get one from Steve, but would rather have original to match the patina of the originals.

Really excited to get this one playing in the near future.

Thanks, Mark

1 month later
#53 8 years ago

Apparently, I now own Cowman and Eric_S's old Palooka. Looks like I'm in the club!

Old ad: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-palooka-williams-1964-1965 I picked it up via eBay.

It works, but there is quite a bit of project left in this bruiser.

6 months later
#54 7 years ago

Update:

I cleaned up and waxed the game because a friend is coming up for a visit.

Can't figure out how to remove the passive bumper caps. It looks like there's some kind of a hinge as shown in the image but twisting etc doesn't loosen the old caps.

Does anyone know how to remove the caps? I took a photo showing the white "hinge".

Also do you tape over the clear areas when you triple thick the backglass? Painter's tape?

Bruce

bumper cap hinge (resized).jpgbumper cap hinge (resized).jpg

#55 7 years ago

That "hinge" is probably just some scotch tape someone used in an attempt to hold caps in place.

If you can't get 'your' caps off... somebody likely glued them in place.

#56 7 years ago

Wish I could get them off so I could put the new ones on. I'm afraid it'll break the bumper body in some way.

Quoted from PinballFever:

Btw, the left flipper broke. Will need to replace the part that's broken in the photo. I don't want to get a rebuild kit just for that part.
Bruce

I got new flipper links from PBR and replaced them.

Still need to triple thick the backglass so I can protect it. Do you tape over the clear parts then immediately remove the tape after spraying or let the TT dry then remove the tape?

Bruce

#57 7 years ago

Wish I could get them off so I could put the new ones on. I'm afraid it'll break the bumper body in some way.

I got new flipper links from PBR and replaced them.
Still need to triple thick the backglass so I can protect it. Do you tape over the clear parts then immediately remove the tape after spraying or let the TT dry then remove the tape?
Bruce

The danger is more likely breaking the caps than the bumper bodies.

I thought you were more concerned about breaking those. If you have reproductions to put on and weren't worried about the old caps (I would be) then you could almost cut them off with a dremel tool or coping saw, if you were careful. And even if something happened to the dead bumper bodies, Steve has those too or you could probably chase down a couple of original ones on ebay given enough time.

If you knew what kind of glue was used, you might have a chance that way. For instance, I always use Household Goop to hold my dead bumper caps (and inserts) in place. And if you get into trouble getting something off (or out) then you can take an eye dropper and use a little toluene to get the glue to let go. I had to call the makers of Goop to find this out.... but it was well worth it for the knowledge.

In fact, I underestimated the strength of Goop and put a small amount at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock on the dead bumper caps to hold them in place on my Spot Bowler. Then, when one of the bulbs burned out... I couldn't get the silly thing off. I would have been screwed if I broke one of them. Luckily, I knew about the toluene and was able to lean the playfield (at the most extreme angle I could) against the head and could then drip some of this solvent down to where it reached one of the small dabs of glue. Then I would put the playfield back down... and gently pull back and forth until I could get it to let go. I had to do this for every one! Even with the toluene, I was afraid I was going to break or crack one of the caps... but luckily, I didn't.

Now, I recommend only using ONE small dab at twelve o'clock inside the dead bumper cap. VERY IMPORTANT!

I might as well get this information out here NOW...

Like Brylcreem... a little dab'll DO ya!!

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

That "hinge" is probably just some scotch tape someone used in an attempt to hold caps in place.

I think that's tape. Should peel right off. Used to be my machine, but I don't remember to tell you the truth.

I would get rid of those tall bulbs and put 55s in there instead.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think that's tape. Should peel right off. Used to be my machine, but I don't remember to tell you the truth.
I would get rid of those tall bulbs and put 55s in there instead.

Yeah, or 51's.

#60 7 years ago

I use painter''s tape leaving a small 1/32" gap on the windows to avoid taking any ink and allowing the TT to seal the edge. If you get too much build/overspray, it can be very carefully cleaned off. I use an exact knife with magnifying headgear. Let it dry for a few hours before removing the tape mask.

#61 7 years ago

Thanks guys. Good tips.

I decided to put the backglass back in after seeing the back of it. Tape, glue, paint etc was put on the back to cover up the flaking paint and that would need to be removed first before TTing it. I don't think this backglass is worth the trouble of cleaning up the back then TTing and trying to fix it.

I'll try to remove the old bumper caps so I can put the repro ones on and also replace the lights in the backbox board with 55s or 51s.

stashyboy, I'm going to use your tips when I TT a different game soon. (The "Utah" game in a different thread)

Here's the backglass for your review to see if you guys agree with me.

Bruce

Palooka BG behind (resized).jpgPalooka BG behind (resized).jpg

#62 7 years ago

Update: You guys were right. It was tape holding the bumper caps on. I put the new ones on.

Also cleaned up/removed the old playfield wax with ZEP degreaser and put Mother's Carnauba wax on and replaced the bumper lights with 51s then leveled the game.

It plays great now. Here's a photo of it fired up and ready to play.

I'm also including a photo of the lockdown bar end caps that Mike Chestnut chromed for me. Much better than the old pitted end caps that left our hands dirty after playing the game.

Bruce

20160919_190636 (resized).jpg20160919_190636 (resized).jpg

20160919_190605 (resized).jpg20160919_190605 (resized).jpg

#63 7 years ago

Wow, those re-chromed end caps look awesome!

#64 7 years ago

+1 on the re-chromed end caps.

And your backglass is way better than mine. I'm jealous. One man's trash...

#65 7 years ago

Mike rechromed the caps on my Heat Wave too....they need to be chromed as they discolour if you try to clean them up yourself (just cheap pot metal or something).

The lockdown bar itself is stainless, I sanded mine down to 3000 grit for a mirror finish.

3 months later
#66 7 years ago

Hey guys,
Old thread here, but I just rated the game and was sad to see no one else has yet. Please take the time to give others some insight to what makes this game fun and worth your time and space. Thanks

20160621_171629 (resized).jpg20160621_171629 (resized).jpg

3 years later
#67 4 years ago

I am looking for 2 pop bumper caps (pictured below) and some plastics for my palooka.
Does anyone have them, or a lead to them?

20200304_011723 (resized).jpg20200304_011723 (resized).jpg
#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I am looking for 2 pop bumper caps (pictured below) and some plastics for my palooka.
Does anyone have them, or a lead to them?[quoted image]

The pop bumper caps can be purchased from Steve at Pinball Resource for $10 ea.

http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm

You'll need the "Green Deco Domed BLANK" caps.

The plastics will be tough to find. Perhaps post in the EM parts needed thread.

Hope this helps

-Paul

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

The pop bumper caps can be purchased from Steve at Pinball Resource for $10 ea.
http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm
You'll need the "Green Deco Domed BLANK" caps.
The plastics will be tough to find. Perhaps post in the EM parts needed thread.
Hope this helps
-Paul

Thank you for the reply.

I got the pop bumper caps from Steve earlier today, and I posted in the EM parts thread for plastics. I may just have to do the heating trick to save these though.

I am also looking for a lockbar receiver, if anyone has one or a lead on one.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I posted in the EM parts thread for plastics. I may just have to do the heating trick to save these though.

I should still have the scans I did while I had mine. Holler if you need them for repros.

#71 4 years ago

I should still have the scans I did while I had mine. Holler if you need them for repros.

Yes please!

Thank you

#72 4 years ago

16 MB zip file. How do you want me to get it to you?

#73 4 years ago

16 MB zip file. How do you want me to get it to you?

I will pm you.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I will pm you.

Sent. Hope they're usable.

3 years later
#75 5 months ago

Does anyone have the picture of the rubber replacement sizing and locations? I didn't see one on TPBD.

Thank you

#76 5 months ago
Quoted from WalrusPin:

Does anyone have the picture of the rubber replacement sizing and locations? I didn't see one on TPBD.
Thank you

bump for this. The teardown and rebuild are underway

20231025_074648 (resized).jpg20231025_074648 (resized).jpg20231025_101128 (resized).jpg20231025_101128 (resized).jpg20231025_104318 (resized).jpg20231025_104318 (resized).jpg20231025_163315 (resized).jpg20231025_163315 (resized).jpg20231030_180404 (resized).jpg20231030_180404 (resized).jpg
#77 5 months ago

Wish I had those plastics as mine are literally toast.

Well maybe not toast but pretty bad.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

If you could make some hi-res scans and post them here or on ipdb.org
it would be appreciated, by me and many.

#78 5 months ago

Forget that last request
I had forgotten that pinballfever had sent to me
some hi-res scans (.tif files)
of all the plastics, found it buried in a message he sent me 8 yrs ago.

here a couple of those scans (compressed) and converted to .png file

#79 5 months ago

My problem is that i have not gotten off my lazy fat ass
and restored (fabricated) those plastics yet.
I have since donated the game to the PPM,
so guess I should forward to them these plastic scans
so they can restore the game
to its potential.

#80 5 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Wish I had those plastics as mine are literally toast.
Well maybe not toast but pretty bad.
[quoted image]
If you could make some hi-res scans and post them here or on ipdb.org
it would be appreciated, by me and many.

Let me know if you need any. BTW you may be able to save yours! Get 2 14x16 rectangular pizza stones at Target, put parchment paper down set the plastics spaced out on it, cover in parchment and put the second pizza stone on top. Put in a cold oven and set to 200f for 1 hour. Remover and set something heavy on top of the sandwich like a Dutch oven. And let completely cool. It will most likely flatten them for you

#81 5 months ago

That may work for a few of the plastics that are not totally warped and curled in on itself.
And a couple of them were flaked and very brittle.
I forwarded the scans to Pacific Pinball Museum, so hopefully they can get to repairing or making new ones.

#82 5 months ago

Is there a non AAB version of this table? I noticed when stripping a playfield that the area above the top dummy bumpers and the diamond below the center drop target were painted over with white. Where "extra ball" would have been printed. Was this offed this way or did someone mess around? I have never had this game running, so I'm not sure how it plays.

20231104_005137 (resized).jpg20231104_005137 (resized).jpg20231104_005140 (resized).jpg20231104_005140 (resized).jpg
#83 5 months ago
Quoted from WalrusPin:

Is there a non AAB version of this table?

May have been a case of where operator had it set up (modified) for novelty play only, no extra (AAB) balls.
Instead of Extra Ball, player gets extra bonus points.

#84 5 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

May have been a case of where operator had it set up (modified) for novelty play only, no extra (AAB) balls.
Instead of Extra Ball, player gets extra bonus points.

That may be. Could I trouble you for a picture of those two areas? I'm going to try and match the typeface to reproduce the text.

#85 5 months ago

I donated the game to the Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda Ca, so no longer have direct access.

#86 5 months ago

These photos shown below were lifted from pinballmania's website
https://www.pinballmania.com/pinball/machines/Williams/Palooka/1

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#87 5 months ago

Here's an overhead of the upper.

IMG_1465 (resized).JPGIMG_1465 (resized).JPG
#88 5 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Here's an overhead of the upper.
[quoted image]

Thank you! Could you possibly do a top down of the lower?

#89 5 months ago
Quoted from WalrusPin:

Could you possibly do a top down of the lower?

IMG_1467 (resized).JPGIMG_1467 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#90 3 months ago

I’m restoring one of these right now so I’ll be dropping some questions in here. Here’s my first: what is the purpose of these stapled twist ties in the lightbox insert? I can’t imagine what they were used to secure. Something during shipping? They appear to be original but vestigial. I’m probably going to pull them all out unless someone here advises against it.

lightbox-insert-twist-ties (resized).jpeglightbox-insert-twist-ties (resized).jpeg
#91 3 months ago

Last weekend I sealed the backglass and did some touchups in the opaque areas. It’s a pretty nice original. Just some light flaking in the title and a few other places. Not too conspicuous. It’ll suffice until I sneak into @stashyboy’s place and pull a switcheroo with his. Was this backglass ever reproduced? I seem to recall hearing that it was.
palooka-backglass (resized).jpegpalooka-backglass (resized).jpeg

#92 3 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

what is the purpose of these stapled twist ties in the lightbox insert? I can’t imagine what they were used to secure.

I'd be surprise if those twist ties came from the factory that way unless for
some possible reason, yours was one of the 1st off the line. What's the
serial number on yours? It's under the right side of the coin door.
Yes, years back I bought a repro silkscreen Palooka backglass, but I can't
remember from whom. I'm remembering they were sold out fairly quickly..

#93 3 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Last weekend I sealed the backglass and did some touchups in the opaque areas. It’s a pretty nice original. Just some light flaking in the title and a few other places. Not too conspicuous. It’ll suffice until I sneak into @stashyboy’s place and pull a switcheroo with his. Was this backglass ever reproduced? I seem to recall hearing that it was.
[quoted image]

Well, your welcome to visit anytime, but switching out the glass without me noticing...now that would be a great trick! Can't imagine what those ties were for.

#94 3 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

What's the serial number on yours? It's under the right side of the coin door.

It’s 96717, which would make it the earliest unit known to the IPSND. Regardless of provenance, be they original or not, I pulled all 12 of them out because the sharp ends of the ties were a menace to the backglass.

Next question: are the solenoid plungers that strike the chime and bell supposed to have a nylon tip? Neither do on this Palooka. After cleaning the chime box assembly, I’m not impressed with how it sounds. Its plunger (pictured on the right) looks like it could fit a yoke, almost like the jet bumper’s plunger pictured in the 1974-1975 parts catalog.

palooka-plungers (resized).jpegpalooka-plungers (resized).jpegcatalog-plungers (resized).jpegcatalog-plungers (resized).jpeg

#95 3 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Was this backglass ever reproduced?

I believe i got mine from Ron Webb

#96 3 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

are the solenoid plungers that strike the chime and bell supposed to have a nylon tip? Neither do on this Palooka.

The Bell's plunger has the nylon tip, but the Chime hasn't.
The Chime sounds a little clunky, but that's not uncommon..

#97 3 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

The Bell's plunger has the nylon tip, but the Chime hasn't.
The Chime sounds a little clunky, but that's not uncommon..

PBR has a full chime assembly if you need it. My was shot and someone disconnected it at some point

#98 3 months ago

The ball count unit got cleaned and rebuilt today. It was completely arrested with old grease. Nothing would budge. The worst case I’ve ever seen. Terrible!

After re-assembling everything, I tested the ball count lights for all of the stepper positions. Nothing would light. It appeared to be missing jumper wires on the wiper fingers, so I added them. Now the lights work.

Question: what do your wiper boards look like on your ball count unit? Is this all I need? Gottlieb soldered an extra jumper wire between the finger channels for extra conductivity and reliability. Maybe I should add them too.

Palooka Ball Count Unit Wiper BoardPalooka Ball Count Unit Wiper Board

#99 3 months ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

what do your wiper boards look like on your ball count unit? Is this all I need? Gottlieb soldered an extra jumper wire between the finger channels for extra conductivity and reliability. Maybe I should add them too.

I have a few Williams from this era set up, and never had a problem with
with the Ball Count's Wiper's continuity..
However, on all Step Up Wiper Boards, I do apply a thin film of Super Lube
grease so it's as friction free as possible. (I also put a thin film of Remington
Gun Oil over that). They both contain Teflon..
Also in the holes of the Wiper's Snowshoes (the spring loaded wipers), I put
a couple drops of Remington Gun Oil to prevent any stickiness.

#100 3 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I have a few Williams from this era set up, and never had a problem with
with the Ball Count's Wiper's continuity.

Thanks for the tips, @mopar. I went back and looked into the matter again.

The back of the wiper board has copper traces that complete the circuit for the wiper fingers, so the jumper wires I added are probably unnecessary.

I took the jumpers off and gave the fingers a good polishing. There must have been some layer of oxidation or filth interfering with the circuit, because the lights are now working without the jumpers.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-1964-williams-palooka-club-welcome/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.