(Topic ID: 140614)

The 1964 Williams Palooka Club - Welcome!

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by WalrusPin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cap-underneath (resized).jpg
cap-end (resized).jpeg
center-target (resized).png
palooka-targets (resized).jpg
palooka-ball-count-unit (resized).jpeg
catalog-plungers (resized).jpeg
palooka-plungers (resized).jpeg
palooka-backglass (resized).jpeg
lightbox-insert-twist-ties (resized).jpeg
IMG_1467 (resized).JPG
IMG_1465 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
20231104_005140 (resized).jpg
20231104_005137 (resized).jpg

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

So I did a pinside search for "palooka" and only found two tech related topics and there was a third one recently.

We need more pictures and documentation about this fun game!

There were only 700 of them made and it's a fun add-a-ball game to play.

Feel free to chime in if you've played the game too and enjoy it.

Btw, feel free to chime in if you're a Joe Palooka fan too.

OH! If you have a high score for this game. Post it here!
Mine is 13,163

Bruce

===========================================

I'll start with a couple pictures of mine.
1964 Palooka BG.jpg1964 Palooka BG.jpg
1964 Palooka Lower PF.jpg1964 Palooka Lower PF.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Don't own one....yet. It's been on my wish list for a few years. I know of one, but the glass is roached and the guy 'paid too much for it' ... :|More power to ya!

#3 8 years ago

Greta game. Cedar Point amusement park had at least ten of them between two arcades in the early to mid 1970's when I first went there as a kid.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Don't own one....yet.

Welcome then! What sparked your interest in this game?

Bruce

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Greta game. Cedar Point amusement park had at least ten of them between two arcades in the early to mid 1970's when I first went there as a kid.

That must have been something to see. Is that the one in Sandusky, Ohio?

Was it the gameplay that makes you feel it's a great game?

Bruce

#6 8 years ago

Here's mine might not be able to tell from pics but my playfield is not as nice condition and has wrong flippers but I will get the playfield restored in the future and try source the right flippers but its my very first pin and I love it lots of fun I think my hi score is only 6575IMG_20151004_093745.jpgIMG_20151004_093745.jpgIMG_20151004_093755.jpgIMG_20151004_093755.jpgIMG_20151004_093807.jpgIMG_20151004_093807.jpg

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Welcome then! What sparked your interest in this game?
Bruce

Hmm, great art package (not for everyone), single drop targets, progressive scoring, metal flipper bats, good game play (from what I've read) Never played one, but like AAB games too.

#8 8 years ago

Palooka is a great game. I got mine as a wedding present from my wife. How's that for spouse support of the hobby? I have the repro BG for it as well. Unfortunately it is sitting in storage right now. I picked up a second game with a better cabinet and they are both waiting for the time when I can do a double shop job, making a really nice "A" game, which I will keep, and a pretty good "B" game that I will sell.

#10 8 years ago

How do you know they're the wrong flippers? I think they're supposed to be metal flippers although the ones on my game are red.

Your backglass is nice. Is it an original or reproduction? The background color looks darker blue than mine.

I have a translite that was made for the game but haven't put it in yet.

Bruce

20151004_182847.jpg20151004_182847.jpg

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Hmm, great art package (not for everyone), single drop targets, progressive scoring, metal flipper bats, good game play (from what I've read)

I like the art package and the single drop targets seem more challenging than a "bank" of drop targets. The gameplay is definitely fun.

I am not sure if my game has "metal" flipper bats? How do you tell? Mine are red.

Bruce

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Palooka is a great game. I got mine as a wedding present from my wife. How's that for spouse support of the hobby?

Nice wedding present! Wonder if my wife would consider givine me one as a wedding present too...

Do you have pictures of the game to share with us?

Bruce

#13 8 years ago

I saw that. Wish I was closer.

Bruce

#14 8 years ago

That must have been something to see. Is that the one in Sandusky, Ohio?
Was it the gameplay that makes you feel it's a great game?
Bruce

I had already played William's Gay '90's and later Honey when it came out and loved the large drop targets. When I saw Palooka, I noticed the smaller, metal (vs. plastic) drop targets and it drew me to the game. Also, Palooka had the most with 5 as since Gay '90's had two (plus the cool swinging target with the large paddle) and Honey three drop targets.

Plus, Palooka was the first game I ever played with a manual ball lift. I put in my money and thought I got ripped off until I figured out what that other rod was for. Cedar Point (yes, Sandusky, Ohio) had a lot of manual ball lift machines until the early '80's IIRC.

#15 8 years ago

Do you have pictures of the game to share with us?

Sorry, it is in storage and not easy to get to.

#16 8 years ago

How do you know they're the wrong flippers? I think they're supposed to be metal flippers although the ones on my game are red.
Your backglass is nice. Is it an original or reproduction? The background color looks darker blue than mine.
I have a translite that was made for the game but haven't put it in yet.
Bruce
20151004_182847.jpg

well all the pics and videos I've seen of this game have red flippers so I just assumed they were wrong on mine and no the backglass is original the guy who refurbished it had two and made one good palooka out of two using all the best parts

#17 8 years ago

GAMEPLAY:

The Palooka has 5 individual drop targets. Dropping the 4 side targets lights up the center target for extra ball.

The two kickouts at the sides of the flippers also bring back up the center drop target if you knock it down.

I am not completely sure about the center target lights and top passive bumper scoring sequence because sometimes it seems to go from 200 to 400, skipping 300 for example?

Maybe someone here can explain more how the scoring is done on this game?

Bruce

#18 8 years ago

I understand the scoring now.

Hitting the top passive bumpers advances the score lights from 100->200->300->400->500/Extra Ball.

Passive Bumper Scoring.jpgPassive Bumper Scoring.jpg

The rollover between the passive bumpers when 500 is lit lights up the lower playfied center score lights from 100->300->500->1000->Extra Ball.

Center_Target_Scoring.jpgCenter_Target_Scoring.jpg

Btw, the center target 500 doesn't light up but it scores 500. Will need to check the bulb.

Bruce

#19 8 years ago

If I remember correctly the top rollover score changed in a random manner when a passive bumper was hit and the extra ball and 500 pt shot were not as common as the lower scoring awards.

On the center drop target it would lite for extra ball each time the other four drop targets were lit and I think it would advance the scoring award there each time you did this and hit the drop target.

The hard shot on the game was collecting the rollover extra ball on a plunge without hitting one of the passive bumpers first which would change the award. The upper drop targets could be difficult to hit as well, especially the right one.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I remember correctly the top rollover score changed in a random manner when a passive bumper was hit and the extra ball and 500 pt shot were not as common as the lower scoring awards.
On the center drop target it would lite for extra ball each time the other four drop targets were lit and I think it would advance the scoring award there each time you did this and hit the drop target.
The hard shot on the game was collecting the rollover extra ball on a plunge without hitting one of the passive bumpers first which would change the award. The upper drop targets could be difficult to hit as well, especially the right one.

Do you know how to lite the two ball kick outs next to flippers for 50 points and the two lower side bumpers for 10 points

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from malachi88:

Do you know how to lite the two ball kick outs next to flippers for 50 points and the two lower side bumpers for 10 points

I had to look at the schematic but it looks like the 10 point lites are tied into the 300 pt relay and the 50 pt. lites thru the advance unit when 500 pts is lit.

#22 8 years ago

All good stuff posted here, makes me want to dig my Palooka out of storage,
though if i remember correctly my Palooka plastics set are all toast/fried,
need to find a NOS set.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had to look at the schematic but it looks like the 10 point lites are tied into the 300 pt relay and the 50 pt. lites thru the advance unit when 500 pts is lit.

Your right just tried it thanks

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

All good stuff posted here, makes me want to dig my Palooka out of storage,
though if i remember correctly my Palooka plastics set are all toast/fried,
need to find a NOS set.

You defo should its a good pin and its sad its sitting in storage unloved lol

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thanks for chiming in because I know you owned this game before I did.

I manually actuated the passive bumpers and the top rollover score changes in order from 100->200->300->400->500/extra ball.

Quoted from o-din:

Agreed. That's quite a skill shot. You can also try to plunge and hit the passive bumpers the number of times you need to advance the top rollover score to 500 before the ball goes through the rollover.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

All good stuff posted here, makes me want to dig my Palooka out of storage

Do it.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

if i remember correctly my Palooka plastics set are all toast/fried,
need to find a NOS set.

I plan to remove the plastics for cleaning and scan them to the computer. If you'd like the scans, PM me.

I've been taking a lot of pictures of the game and will be posting them here for everyone.

Here is a photo of the hard shot that o-din's talking about with the extra ball light lit.

Bruce

Hard Shot.jpgHard Shot.jpg

#26 8 years ago

HOW TO LIFT THE PLAYFIELD:

Inside the coin door opening, there is a lever on the right that releases the Lockbar.

Here you see the lever pulled out.
20151009_210330.jpg20151009_210330.jpg

Then you need to lift up and swivel the levers out on the lower sides shown to unlock the playfield.
20151009_204820.jpg20151009_204820.jpg
20151009_204807.jpg20151009_204807.jpg
20151009_204915.jpg20151009_204915.jpg

Bruce

#27 8 years ago

THE FLIPPERS:

The flippers have a post behind them that makes it almost impossible to cradle the ball for shots at the targets.

Bruce
20151009_194234.jpg20151009_194234.jpg

#28 8 years ago

HOW TO LIFT THE PLAYFIELD:

Curious as to how many WMS pins from the early 60s
have those swivel latches that help lock the playfield in place.
Previously most manufacturers used screws to hold the playfield in place,
GTB had the over engineered (dual spring loaded) pull lever latch under the PF;
but then at some point everybody figured you did not need any
mechanism to lock the playfield in place?!?!?

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

did not need any
mechanism to lock the playfield in place

On a later Gottlieb EM, the lockdown bar receiver latch serves to lock the playfield in place. Under the playfield is a vertical bracket with a hole in it, and the latch on the lockdown bar receiver has a bullet-shaped piece that slips into that hole, and locks the playfield in place.

#30 8 years ago

BACKGLASS REMOVAL:

Is there a way to remove the backglass without removing the backbox board?

The top of the backbox didn't show any screws or boards for removing the backglass through unless they were painted for.

This backbox doesn't seem to have the slot in the bottom like the 60's Gottlieb games have for backglass removal.

Bruce

#31 8 years ago

No.

You have to remove the mech panel.

Both Williams and Gottlieb had some good ideas. And one from Gottlieb was to put a slot below the backglass so you could lower it down and get it out WITHOUT having to take the mech panel out.

#32 8 years ago

Sounds like a real pain... but once you do it a few times, it becomes fairly routine.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

You have to remove the mech panel.

That's what I found out last night when I was replacing the backglass with the translite.

Here is a photo of the translite for comparison. It looks new but the lights don't shine through as brightly as they did with the original backglass.

Bruce

Palooka Translite BG.jpgPalooka Translite BG.jpg

#34 8 years ago

Ok, now I can really be a member of the club. Picked up that one listed for York Show pick up. It's in really nice shape for an un-restored pin IMO. Almost perfect glass, play field pretty nice also-I guess 'plasticote' really did work!

HPIM1071.jpgHPIM1071.jpg

HPIM1079.jpgHPIM1079.jpg

HPIM1073.jpgHPIM1073.jpg

HPIM1069.jpgHPIM1069.jpg

#35 8 years ago

Welcome to the club, Stashyboy!

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Ok, now I can really be a member of the club. Picked up that one listed for York Show pick up.

Congratulations and welcome to the club, Stashyboy!

Bruce

2 weeks later
#37 8 years ago

How do you remove the passive bumper caps? Photo showing old and new ones.

Btw, the left flipper broke. Will need to replace the part that's broken in the photo. I don't want to get a rebuild kit just for that part.

Bruce

20151025_163739.jpg20151025_163739.jpg

Broken Flipper Part.jpgBroken Flipper Part.jpg

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

play field pretty nice also

The area around the pop bumpers on your playfield looks original too. Mine have some kind of stained glass mylar around them.

Bruce

#39 8 years ago

PBR should have that flipper plunger fiber link. The passive caps on my Williams games from 1967 (same style cap) simply slip off. They are just a friction fit. I know others have said put a dab of clear silicone under the cap, perhaps someone was more aggressive with gluing them down. My game is sitting at a friend's house who picked it up for me at York. BTW, Jim (JTamusements) was very easy to deal with. Great pictures, fair price, and even came up with a missing chime box to make it complete!

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

BTW, Jim (JTamusements) was very easy to deal with. Great pictures, fair price, and even came up with a missing chime box to make it complete!

I'll second that. I've dealt with Jim a few times and he is always very helpful and pleasant.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

even came up with a missing chime box to make it complete!

If you can find an original set of bells then it be complete.

Edit - maybe this one has a chime in it ? I kind of remember the one I had might of.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you can find an original set of bells then it be complete.
Edit - maybe this one has a chime in it ? I kind of remember the one I had might of.

One chime, one bell, best of both worlds! (old school chime too!)

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

One chime, one bell, best of both worlds! (old school chime too!)

I remember now! I never noticed that until Bruce came to pick it up. Must have been one of the first to use a chime.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

PBR should have that flipper plunger fiber link.

Yup. I'm ordering new plunger/links from PBR for it. WLL-1A2847-2A

Quoted from stashyboy:

The passive caps on my Williams games from 1967 (same style cap) simply slip off. They are just a friction fit. I know others have said put a dab of clear silicone under the cap, perhaps someone was more aggressive with gluing them down.

These caps seem to be fastened on or possibly glued on at one side but it's difficult to see what's holding them on. Will try to get them off.

Quoted from o-din:

I remember now! I never noticed that until Bruce came to pick it up. Must have been one of the first to use a chime.

Yes. Very cool in my opinion.

Thanks guys,
Bruce

#45 8 years ago

Yes. Very cool in my opinion.

When I got it, it was all working so well that I'm not sure I ever noticed it. Playing it, it was hard to tell it was even a chime and not a bell. Very cool indeed.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

my Palooka plastics set are all toast/fried

Thanks to pinballfever
for sending me some very nice scans of the plastics set.
cheers tom

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Thanks to pinballfever
for sending me some very nice scans of the plastics set.

Anytime, Tom. I was thinking of making reproduction plastics with them here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-guide-to-making-your-own-reproduction-plastics

Bruce

1 week later
#48 8 years ago

because I have my palooka is in a awkward spot I can't see into the back box very well so I was wondering if the back board just's slides out like the playfield can?

1 week later
#49 8 years ago

Palooka semi-project for sale:

appleton.craigslist.org link

#50 8 years ago

Didn't Cowman used to own that one. I seem to remember the custom paint.

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-1964-williams-palooka-club-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.