(Topic ID: 170424)

The 10 Best Pinball Locations in America are...

By stepside

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E253FDED-7CA2-47D1-8859-26B751420B5F (resized).jpeg
    7DB57674-29B1-4843-A093-A0C73ED93F1B (resized).jpeg
    3133A36A-684F-4CFA-B289-15A8EE6482B9 (resized).jpeg
    5107787441_b828e2a2a0_b (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160909_115201059 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160816_132221087 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160909_120327188_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20161024_152204874_HDR (resized).jpg
    cafeonepinball (resized).jpg
    cafeonepinball tournament (resized).jpg
    IMG_20161027_163002370 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160725_211817 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20161024_185646 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20161028_183955 (resized).jpg
    replay (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 7 years ago

I've seen a lot of names of places thrown out here, but no real explanation why they are any good, so I'll do this:

Lyons Classic Pinball in Colorado is what I would consider the pinnacle format of on-location play. It's the only place I've been that feels like someone's personal collection in their own home, games that are tuned incessantly, rubbed with a diaper, and decorated around. I can come up with 6 main criteria:

1. Game selection
    All eras of games are represented at Lyons, the latest DMD, along with SS and EM, all great players and a sprinkling of rare and unique titles with just the right amount of churn. Those that play at Lyons often (leagues, tournaments) are better all-around players than most, which has advantages in certain tourneys. It's no small collection either, listing 37 games.

2. Can you hear the games?
    A good chunk of the pinball experience is missing if you can't hear the callouts. Acoustics are important, and Lyons has at most 10 games per room, with carpet and lots of sound dampening decorations which helps isolate noise. Game sounds are like you are playing at home.

3. Can you see the playfield?
    It sucks when overhead lights reflect off the glass, blocking certain parts of the playfield. Lyons uses all indirect lighting.

4. Condition, condition, condition.
    If a pinball machine isn't tuned up, it is not fun. Games at Lyons are always in top notch shape, even setup a little extra difficult, and taken care of like they are in the personal collection of a type-A personality... which they are.

5. Ambiance
    Many on location places are a big noisy room with bright lights and kids running around with handfuls of tickets and pizza hands. Lyons pinball feels like someone's basement, decorated with personal touches everywhere, GOT poster next to GOT LE, framed classic Playboy magazine above the Playboy game, 8x10 info and history sheet for many games, KISS throw next to the KISS machine, flashing stop light, etc. Background music is all classic rock played on real vinyl with era-appropriate speakers. It is the ultimate game cave.

6. Location / Food / Drink
    Lyons itself just has snacks but steps away is a world class restaurant and brewery. It's nestled in the mountains with clear stars at night, next to a park with weekly events. That separation of food and games improves the pinball experience quite a bit, also making it more family friendly than any Barcade. This environment does more to promote pinball to the youngest generation than any Barcade could... I've seen my share of pre-teens eliminating top 100 players on a regular basis here.

Lyons not only meets each of the criteria, it excels at every one of them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-10-best-pinball-locations-in-america-are?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.