Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pinmike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

#1 12 years ago

I just received an order from John Wart for 2 of my Stern pins and
    both rom sets dont work when i installed them both machines acted
    the same way lights just came on and dead displays and nothing.
    I know i installed them correctly i have installed plenty of roms in
    different machines and never had a problem what waste of time and
    money and i should have stuck with rompingirl from canada.
    BTW the roms he sent were freaking used and beat up.He can take these
    roms and [edited]

Edited by Robin: Changed topic title and removed foul language

#2 12 years ago

I've never had an issue with John, ordered a few different times.

Did you talk to him to sort it out?

I've seen him recommended literally 100's of times...

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I've never had an issue with John, ordered a few different times.

Did you talk to him to sort it out?

No, I have not talked to him i am just upset with the condition of the
    roms were in and on top of that they did'nt work i had a gut feeling
    when i first open the package that something wasnt right about these
    roms and luckily they didnt mess up any of my machines.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

I've seen him recommended literally 100's of times...

That's the reason why i ordered from him..

#5 12 years ago

I'd at least speak with him first, before dragging his name through the mud.

He's one of the "good" guys from what I've read and experienced myself...

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

He's one of the "good" guys from what I've read and experienced myself...

+1

#7 12 years ago

Well,Hopefully he will get wind of this and dont send out crap like
    this and mess up someones 400-500 dollar board.

#8 12 years ago

rompingirl I believe is a guy named Dave Astill. I'm from Canada as well, and I get all my roms from him. He also can provide you with very hard to find ic's as well.

I believe even clay mention's Dave in his guides.

I tried ordering from John one time, and he never got back to me.... maybe too busy.

#9 12 years ago

I've ordered from both John and Dave Astill. I've had great service from both. My stuff from John was new, packaged nicely with stickers identifying the parts and giving my name. Contact John, I think he'll make it right.

#10 12 years ago

maybe the problem isn't the roms?

#11 12 years ago

Sorry to hear about the bad ROMs, Mike. I know how much that sucks. I've ordered ROMs from John Wart Jr. three times, and out of the twelve or so chips he sent me, only one didn't work properly. John was very good about helping me track down the issue, and he took care of me without hesitation. Send him an email and let him know what's going on.

#12 12 years ago

I have always had good transactions with John as well. The one time I got a bad ROM he took care of it.

I will contuniue to buy form him.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

Couldn't agree more.

#14 12 years ago

Mike,

If you want send me the roms I will verify the checksums, if they do not check out I will erase them and reprogram them for you at no charge you just pick up shipping costs both ways, if the roms turn out to be bad I do have some other known good blank eproms available.

Just let me know

#15 12 years ago

I generally burn my own roms but when I just don't have time or if it's a set I can't find I have John do them for me. Never had a problem and he's always quick to reply. Sorry to hear you had a problem but I would think contacting him first would be the best way to get results. As for using used eproms, well, considering that some eproms are getting harder to find plus the very low prices he charges I can see why he uses them. I erase old eproms and use them over and over as well. That's exactly what they are made for!

#16 12 years ago

I just heard back from him and he stated that theres no way two sets
    can be bad and said that i must have put them in backwards.What a bunch
    of horseshit I know for a fact that i installed them correctly and went over
    my work and i am not a noob at this.Honestly if i knew these were
    going to be used roms i would have never placed an order and
    i am willing to spend a few extra bucks for new roms and his
    site should state that the roms are used.If any member is planning
    on ordering roms from him expect to receive used and possibly non
    working roms.

Quoted from RawleyD:

maybe the problem isn't the roms?

It is the roms and i placed the old ones back in and worked fine.

#18 12 years ago

Really sorry to hear about this for you, Mike. I know from all of the help you have given me and others that your knowledge surpasses well beyond NOOB! Way well beyond, even.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from pin-tastic:

Mike,

If you want send me the roms I will verify the checksums, if they do not check out I will erase them and reprogram them for you at no charge you just pick up shipping costs both ways, if the roms turn out to be bad I do have some other known good blank eproms available.

Just let me know

I really appreciate that but i just placed an order with romingirl earlier
    today.

#20 12 years ago

Wow sorry to hear that. I never had a issues with any Rom's I got from That Pinball Place aka John.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

I really appreciate that but i just placed an order with romingirl earlier today.

Hopefully these work out better for you. Were you trying to get new ROMs for Playboy and LOTR?

#22 12 years ago

Even Dave Astill uses used roms, most people do. They are recycled. It is odd that both are bad, but you would think he would at least try to help you out. I wonder if a magnetic force was around them in shipping... That's a stretch, but for two to be bad...

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Were you trying to get new ROMs for Playboy and LOTR?

They were for LOTR and Sopranos

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Even Dave Astill uses used roms,

But at least Dave states if they are new or used.

#25 12 years ago

Greetings

I'm new to Pinside, I've heard of it once or twice, but honestly have never given it a close look. I'll be sure to have a look around while I'm here.

For those of you who don't know me, my name is John Wart, jr, and I am the proprietor of a small business based in Indiana, That Pinball Place. While 99% of my orders are ROM based, I do occasionally sell games and parts.

I am a collector of mostly 1990s Bally/WMS DMD games, but I do have some Sys11s and a Stern Elvis. I was a regular contributor to RGP and a few other sites before my kids were born, and now I sometimes keep up - but not as regularly as I used to. I've learned a lot from other collectors and believe in giving back, because the people are what make the hobby for me. That's right, it's my business, but it's also my hobby. I have a collection of pins, enjoy working on them, and I enjoy having friends over to play pinball in my gameroom.

A couple colleagues of mine suggested I have a look at this thread. So, I have, and I thought I'd add a few facts to this thread.

1) Mike contacted me at 6:54 AM EST this morning saying he was having problems with his ROMS. I sent him some information at 9:17 AM, asking a few questions. It's not uncommon or unreasonable to ask a few questions when a customer complains about a product. I've never dealt with Mike before, and I have no idea what his skill level is. Had he been a multiple time, return customer, I would have a little more information on his skill level, and made an appropriate judgement call. When a regular customer or someone I am familiar with has a chip problem, replacements are dispatched immediately. When it's someone whose abilities I am uncertain of, I have to ask a few questions to determine whether the problem is the product, the user, or something else.

I don't know how many times I've had a customer fry a chip twice because they told me they were doing something right the first time, and then after they fry another, they ask for clarification. This is usually followed by a request that I send another replacement to them, at my cost. When I make a mistake, or something happens, I make it good - but it's only fair that I make it good when it's truly my fault or a defective product.

2) He posted here shortly thereafter, being abrasive without answering my questions or giving me an opportunity to make good on his problems.

3) It *is* highly unusual to have 2 bad chips in the same order. The logical conclusion in this situation is that something was done incorrectly. My next steps would be to see what chips are bad and send replacements.

4) There has been no waste of money, all my products are 100% guaranteed working. If a chip fails or doesn't work, I send replacements.

5) I don't know ANY programming service that uses new chips - the majority of the games I fill orders for use chips that are obsolete and no longer available. I would not ship a chip I would not use in my own game - if it's questionable, I'm not going to ship it. Yes, I have a couple customers who have *politely* asked that I provide them new chips, not pulls, and when they place orders, I try to find the best price on the chips so I can meet their needs at a reasonable price and still turn a reasonable profit. Dave Astill, aka 'rompingirl' is not only a competitor, I consider him a friend - and I know that his chips are pulls just like mine are - I've bought chips from him in the past.

I earned my reputation by providing a quality product at a fair price, and providing excellent customer service. I've been doing this for years, I am not a newbie and I'm not some fly by night operator coming through here to make a quick buck. My reputation is worth far more to me than a few chips.

I was not abrasive with Mike, but before he gave me an opportunity to make good on the issues here, he came here and drug me through the mud and challenged the quality of my product. I'm still going to make good on his problem - he can return the chips for a full refund - including return shipping - or I will send replacements. His choice.

I'll extend the same offer to anyone here, or elsewhere - if you are not happy with the quality of my products, you are welcome to return them for a refund. Unhappy customers are not return customers. Feel free to check my reputation on RGP, Pinball Bash, Aussie Pinball, etc - or ask for some references, I'll be glad to provide them.

I'm sorry Mike had a poor experience, but I'm at least due the opportunity to try and fix the problem before I'm crucified.

Atomicboy, I apologize if I missed your request for ROMS, my family has had one heck of a year with a tragic accident that put my kids in the hospital for 5 days, and the long recovery after all of that - or maybe it's a spam trap problem or something. I strive to respond to every request. If you ever need anything, I'd appreciate the opportunity to quote it for you.

#26 12 years ago

Hi John,

Just a plug for you here, I have used your chips whenever I needed to update my games. I have recommended you to friends who have got chips from you as well, never an issue. In fact I just got a couple from you again within the last week or so, they work perfectly. Fast response and fast shipping. Sorry to hear about your kids. Hope they are doing ok.

Best regards,

Jim

#27 12 years ago

thanks for the response, and welcome to pinside. I figured the poor experience was a fluke and the "this guy's business is garbage" post was unwarranted. sorry this particular incident caused some negative attention.

pinballparadise, or whatever his name is could take a lesson from your customer communication skills.

#28 12 years ago

I will also say that I have ordered from John Wart in the past and have had good results. Currently I am waiting on a response for a special request and despite what the op says still look forward to dealing with John.

My only question is what did the op mean when he said...

Quoted from pinmike:

BTW the roms he sent were freaking used and beat up.He can take these roms and shove it.

I have never noticed any roms looking beat up regardless if they were done by John or obviously burned by a PO. So what does a beat up rom look like?

#29 12 years ago

i dunno, maybe scratches all over it?

#30 12 years ago

Good to have you John,Greetings-and it is too bad you had to respond to something that should have been kept to themselves,the overreaction is not common place here at Pinside,Mike has helped alot of us here and is well respected.I'm sure this will turn out OK for all parties.

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

3) It *is* highly unusual to have 2 bad chips in the same order. The logical conclusion in this situation is that something was done incorrectly. My next steps would be to see what chips are bad and send replacements.

For the second time already i know i installed them correctly!!
    Did you even check to see if these roms work before you sent
    them out?In the first email i sent you i told you exactly what
    the machines were doing and they both were having the same
    problems-Dead display and only the lights came on and that
    was it nothing else.Now if one machine was doing that then
    fine i would say it was my fault but for both sterns to do
    the same exact thing =Faulty Roms

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

them out?

Just let him replace them. I don't really understand the issue here.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

them out?

I'll wager John doesn't own every game he burns roms for and must, therefore, rely on checksums to validate a good burn. But I'll leave that up to John

#34 12 years ago

I will also vouch for John, excellent service and excellent person to do business with, i have bought multiple sets of roms from him over the years, I will say one thing John puts labels on the roms to ID what the game is and the checksum, I have noticed that the lables were put on upside down, if a person doesn't know the notch of the chip itself needs to go the direction of the markings and puts the chip in with the label reading correctly it is in backwards , I had to feel through the label to see which side has the notch on the roms, possibly not checking the notch the roms were put in backwards, which would give the symptons stated up top of this thread! Again don't trust the label position but check the rom notch to be sure

#35 12 years ago

It was said earilier, I wish people were not drug through the mud so quickly. Sounds like he is trying to help. There are no nre ROMs left, they are going to be used. That seems to be the issue that he keyed on. If getting them right was important you would let him try again. Really hate to see this on this site.

Would have been better to see a question about whether or not anyone else has had the same problem. Sounds more mature like this site seems to be.

#36 12 years ago

I will just state this and be done with it.....I don't know John nor have I ever dealt with him;however, I do know he has been recomended on this site numerous times and that he has been very gracious in his response to the problem. I don't know Mike personally either but, I have witnessed his character at work through the help he has openly given myself and others on this site, not to mention the gift of a pinball he gave one of our members for free! That being said both of you appear to be very standup people and I have all the confidence in the world this issue can and will be resolved without further damage to reputation or spill-over onto this site. Hope allworks out for the both of you.

#37 12 years ago

My dealings with John have always been positive. It does sound fishy that both sets of ROMS would be bad. I've always wondered why people are so quick to jump to a public forum to air their grievances without working with the person involved first.

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Atomicboy, I apologize if I missed your request for ROMS, my family has had one heck of a year with a tragic accident that put my kids in the hospital for 5 days, and the long recovery after all of that - or maybe it's a spam trap problem or something. I strive to respond to every request. If you ever need anything, I'd appreciate the opportunity to quote it for you.

I read threads on RGP with regards to your recent life problems. I am very sorry to hear about that.

My request to you though was about 1.5 years ago, and I noted in the email that I was referred to you by... someone stating to mention their name (can't recall who now), regarding ghost free roms. One of the vendors but, I can't recall who.

I have nothing to note about you one way or another, other than for whatever reason, I never heard back.

#39 12 years ago

Next time I need ROM's, I'll order from John same as I always do. Never had any problems with them.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

... both of you appear to be very standup people and I have all the confidence in the world this issue can and will be resolved without further damage to reputation or spill-over onto this site. Hope all works out for the both of you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

RWH said:
    ... both of you appear to be very standup people and I have all the confidence in the world this issue can and will be resolved without further damage to reputation or spill-over onto this site. Hope all works out for the both of you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

+1

#42 12 years ago

Never heard of That Pinball Place before this thread. Now I want to order T2 Profanity ROMs.

I guess any publicity is good publicity.

#43 12 years ago

I completely disagree with the title of this stupid thread.

#44 12 years ago

I am pretty sure that the [person/idiot (you choose)] who started this thread did something wrong. I have ordered from John on many occasions, and not once had any problems with his ROMS.

Edit: this post was slightly altered by Robin - changes are in brackets - if you disagree with this edit you can file a report BS-360 and send it to donations at pinside dot com

#45 12 years ago

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drama

Just sayin....maybe its time to move on here. I don't know John, barely know Mike, but they both seem well respected by many. Before it gets stupid, let's move on.

#46 12 years ago

I agree with Gorilla. I will close the topic... for now. The mood is quickly going south here.

I'll be happy to re-open the topic if either Mike or John wants to make an additional comment (hopefully telling everyone the problem has been resolved).

I hope you'll agree with me, if not feel free to PM me.

Edit: Thread re-opened to allow Pinmike to post a follow-up.

#47 12 years ago

Hi Guys,I want to say i am very sorry for all the mess this subject has brought on
    and it was'nt my intention to make anyone angry or upset here on Pinside.I love
    this site and never want to give this site any bad attention.I am very sorry to bring
    this all on Robin,Mods,and John Wart Jr. I was very upset when i received the roms
    and especially when they did'nt work i was a little hotheaded and i just came to the
    site and blew off some steam but i did'nt know it was going to bring all this trouble
    to everyone and myself.I did'nt know John or anything about him but now i know
    who he is and he is very liked in the Pin community and i saw posts about him on
    RGP and really stands out with alot of people.I thought he was accusing me of putting
    in the Roms backwards and frying the chips but he was not and he very nicely offered to
    exchange them or get a full refund.Once Again,I am truly sorry to everyone and i hope
    all this fades away and everything returns to normal again.Thanks,Mike

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thatpinballplace-roms-are-garbage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.