(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,513 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by 2x286ps
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bild_2024-04-22_231243432 (resized).png
IMG_2707 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sliderpoint.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

Pretty rare for me to hit the right backhand shot.

Backglass scratch: It was there when I got the machine and I just found that when everything was tightened properly that screw has a reasonable gap to the glass, check it occasionally and it shouldn't hit it. My question is how to go about fixing it now that it's there? (I also have a some scratches on the arc of the lion mech that was also not fastened properly, less noticeable because of the busier artwork there)

Speaking of the lion, has anyone come up with a simple mod that gets the lion to go all the way up? Mine only goes about 1/2 - 2/3 at most. In testing the coil it pulls the rod solidly down but not not to the bottom. When not activating the coil, I can push the rod all the way down. Maybe I have the wrong rod and need a shorter one.

Lastly, if anyone is interested, I have some pics of disassembling my Nell motor to fix it spinning but nothing moving. I read in the Data East owners thread that this is common, but people were saying the gears were stripped inside and there wasn't any fixing it. When I took it apart I found it is unlikely that the gears are actually stripped. I was able to repair it fairly simply.

-Mike

#10 8 years ago

Cool, I'll see how that affects it.

2 months later
#23 8 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see the requests for these pics earlier. Here are the steps I used to fix my motor.

First cut the lip off around the back half of the casing, this way I could take it apart. I used an air cutoff wheel, but you could a dremel with cutoff discs as well:
CutOutterLip_(resized).pngCutOutterLip_(resized).png

pic of the motor apart, as you can see all the gears are steel or brass. This is why I would think it unlikely that they would strip as the gears outside the motor are all plastic and I would expect them to break first, but yemv:
SplitOpen_(resized).pngSplitOpen_(resized).png

This was the problem set on mine. These two gears are supposed to be pressed together and spin together. Mine were spinning freely of each other:
SlippingGearSet_(resized).pngSlippingGearSet_(resized).png

I could actually just push the smaller one out with with my fingers:
separated_(resized).pngseparated_(resized).png

Sorry, I'm don't have a pic of the actual dimpling, but on the larger outside gear, I used a punch or awl to hammer dimples around the inside hole, it is just brass so it's pretty soft. Once the hole had a few compressed deformations, I just used a vice to press the two gears back together. It ended up looking like this:
dimpled_(resized).pngdimpled_(resized).png

They definitely no longer spun independently. I reassembled with new grease and just used some epoxy to hold the casing together again.
Turns everything again no problems.

Hope this helps.
-Mike

1 month later
#47 8 years ago

Quoted from howdoyouafford:yikes, too rich for me. i could build a vacuform machine for that.
unrelated question, im starting to shop mine and found this metal strip bent around this post of the wabac ramp with holes and with a touch of solder on the end. is something missing from my game? not sure what this is.

20160406_173959_(resized).jpg

I do not have that piece of metal on mine. No idea why it would be there.

1 year later
#350 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroRefurbs:

We have only 3 places left on the pre-order list for the plastic set. Once they're gone, they're gone.
Pete
Retro Refurbs

Ordered!

-Mike

1 month later
#393 6 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

Has anyone had any experience of replacing the B-O-M-B targets with the replacements sold by Marcos?
These ones: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5930-02
The plastic itself is slightly wider than the originals which makes them a bit of a pain to fit because you have to strip down the stack so you can drop the plastic part in from the top. I managed that, got everything soldered back up and then when I came to refit the metal brackets I found that there was zero movement of the plastic part when struck. It's almost as if the alignment of the bracket is slightly out but maybe i'm just missing something obvious.
Anyone got any clues on this one?

I used them. They are definitely not as narrow. I cut the back of the "L" shape off the metal part of the bracket. I was able to cram them in from the bottom then. Wish there were some replacements that were the original size.

-Mike

1 year later
#581 5 years ago

Mine does not do that either, but here is why. This is my diverter closed position, you can see how open is still is to allow the ball to come back out if it doesn't make it tot he VUK.

-Mike

20180912_082157 (resized).jpg20180912_082157 (resized).jpg
#589 5 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

Mine in the closed position has no gap and thus no escape route. Is this an install issue?

Yes. Adjust just like PinballManiac40 said above. When Open (active) it should touch the left orbit, when closed it should look more like my pic. Plenty of room for the ball.

-Mike

edit: if that doesn't seem possible for some reason, you may want to post pics of the coil and linkage under your playfield so we can see what may be up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 27.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.50
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sliderpoint.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club?tu=sliderpoint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.