(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,513 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by 2x286ps
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bild_2024-04-22_231243432 (resized).png
IMG_2707 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scottnds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#902 3 years ago

Hello all
I have just got my RB operational after getting my boards serviced and have no idea where Nell is supposed to sit when the machine finishes.Nell has been non operational since I got the pin and now with my boards serviced I dont know what Nell actually does and where she sits normally with power off or end of game. I get a little movement in the coil test . Dont know if my motor is good or bad.
One other thing wrong is the bottom pop does not work. Switch test is ok but it does not fire in coil test.It does have a gottleib 49-83 coil in it not a 090-5001-00 could this be the problem?
Thanks

2 months later
#1005 3 years ago

Hello all.My screen goes blank during game play for a few seconds then returns.Sometimes a couple of seconds and sometimes 10 seconds or until the ball drains. I have just had all my boards serviced. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks Scott.

#1016 3 years ago
Quoted from Bravebluerx:

When you say serviced, did they reflow the solder header connections on the display pcb? Cold solder joints would cause intermittent display issues or a worn out ribbon cable or poor connection with display rom or socket. Try reseating the rom display chip in the socket and ribbon cable first

Quoted from TronGuy:

I bought the pin2dmd for around $210. I love it.
I have a 100% working original dmd I just pulled. If you decide you want it, $60 shipped.

Thanks for the responses. I will try all the re seating mentioned and maybe look at new ribbon cable first. I am not sure about the re flowing the solder.I sent all boards (not the screen)away for a birthday as the machine was re setting after I purchased it.The guy has test rigs and it worked when I re installed them though I did not notice the screen problem until I was watching someone else play.

I will pass on the screen but thanks for the offer.Great idea though.I dont think I would be very popular at home if I got a new screen just now.
Thanks again
Scott.

2 months later
#1132 3 years ago

Hello, I have the center pop bumper very weak. It will not operate when playing.
In test mode it will move slightly and if I move the coil plunger down a little bit it will activate weakly.The switch registers.
I have changed the coil and plunger and it is no different.I have swung the left coil over to the center while still wired to left side to check the action and the action of the pop is OK.
I have voltage on both lugs. Is the next step testing components on the board?
Any help greatly appreciated as I have pulled it apart many times.
Thanks

#1134 3 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

Next thing to check is the connector and the transistors on the board. If it were me, I would disconnect the connector and use an alligator clip with a jump wire to cross the two bumpers (connect left transistor header pin to right bumper connector hole then activate the left bumper switch, and try again vice-versa). That should quickly prove whether the problem is the transistor without taking the board out first.
I would also check if there is any wear on the bumper plastic body. Your swung left coil test eliminated that as the major cause, but you might want to change it anyway to get optimum results after you get it working. You probably know all this, but here is a guide to do this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

Hey thanks Clempo I will give this a go. Cheers Scott.

#1135 3 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

Hey thanks Clempo I will give this a go. Cheers Scott.

I have taken off the connector and bridged header pin 3 to connector pin 4 and coil tested right pop and center pop works.I guess its time to take the board off.
Thanks Clempo I would not of thought to do that. Any thoughts on the next step?
Cheers mate.

1 week later
#1139 3 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

If all the other coils work, your PIA and 7408 and gate also work. This points to a problem with the TIP122 transistor. Less likely is a problem with the small pre-driver transistor 2N4401 or both. You can find instructions how to test a tip122 in this DE repair guide: https://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm

Hi finally got back to it. I have bridged center pop header to another pop to prove it was that was that pin and it did not operate the other pop. I have the board out and both transistors seem to test ok. Can transistors test OK but not be OK? or is it further down the rabbit hole? Any suggestions.Thanks.

#1141 3 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

Test connectivity between the transistor and the header pin. Also test the corresponding resistance in the resistance array.

Continuity between header pin and transistor is OK. The coil tries to work but is really weak. I dont know how to do the resistance test in the resistance array. Is there a link for that test? Thanks.

#1143 2 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

I assume you have already proven the weak coil works fine when driven by another transistor.
I assume you tested both the small and the big transistors with your multi meter in diode mode.
This video shows how to test a resistance array
Did you compare your readings on the transistors with adjacent transistors that are known to work?
You can try to connect the header pin to its corresponding hole with a wire, if this works, the problem could be the connector when seated.
If everything looks fine, I would go ahead and change the big transistor before I would search higher up the circuit diagram.
It could be a bad PIA or AND-gate, but it is still more likely to be a bad transistor.

Thanks Clempo. I have tested that transistor to a known good coil and it is also weak and the center pop works fine when driven by another transistor so I will take your advise and change the big transistor and see how that works.The "bad" transistor tested the same as the adjacent ones .I need to order some and find a board guy in my town as I dont want to damage my board with my "agricultural" soldering.I have viewed the link and will have a go at that also. Thanks alot for all your help and will keep you posted.Cheers Scott.

3 weeks later
#1149 2 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

Thanks Clempo. I have tested that transistor to a known good coil and it is also weak and the center pop works fine when driven by another transistor so I will take your advise and change the big transistor and see how that works.The "bad" transistor tested the same as the adjacent ones .I need to order some and find a board guy in my town as I dont want to damage my board with my "agricultural" soldering.I have viewed the link and will have a go at that also. Thanks alot for all your help and will keep you posted.Cheers Scott.

Update- Had some transistors sent to me and then went to local electronics/computer shop and had them change Tip102 and the smaller transistor and I now have a working pop bumper.Interestingly the guy at the electronics shop said both transistors tested OK.Thanks again for your help.Now to fix Nell.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
$ 18.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scottnds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club?tu=scottnds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.