(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,513 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 hours ago by 2x286ps
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bild_2024-04-22_231243432 (resized).png
IMG_2707 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russmyers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Yup for all Rocky & Bullwinkle owners......is there a fix to prevent the backglass from being scratched by the mechanical arm?

Yes.

You can put an adhesive-felt square or circle over the pivot screw in the arm. That's the part that contacts the back of the glass and scratches up the paint.

Whenever I move my R&B when I have to lower the head, I put a piece of heavy packing paper behind the backglass as easy protection.

Unfortunately, pretty much 100% of R&B machines have scratched paint at Bullwinkle's nose, because the damage happened as soon as the game was assembled and folded into the box for shipping.

It would be possible to get replacements made, but it's a real backglass with mirroring, so that's serious dollars, like 300-400.

RussM

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Sliderpoint:

Speaking of the lion, has anyone come up with a simple mod that gets the lion to go all the way up? Mine only goes about 1/2 - 2/3 at most. In testing the coil it pulls the rod solidly down but not not to the bottom. When not activating the coil, I can push the rod all the way down. Maybe I have the wrong rod and need a shorter one.
-Mike

Usually the problem is the other way - the Lion coil is overpowered and slams the assembly way too hard.

I have a coil wiring mod to fix this (hitting too hard).

Try taking the Lion arm assy apart, clean everything, especially the pivot point (may be old grease here; re-lube with teflon gel aka SuperLube), and check the coil plunger and nylon coil sleeve is clean and not binding.

RussM

3 months later
#37 8 years ago
Quoted from howdoyouafford:

I need help with a part # ID. I need the slide part that retains the board behind the backglass, the one that slides up to open the backbox (after the glass is already removed). It's missing on mine and nowhere in the manual does it list anything. Do I just need to make one myself or are they available?

This?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=54B2842E0E27D3B743F5FCFC3144F834.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=01-3745+

Bracket - lightbox to backbox
#01-3745

L-bracket used to lock lightbox to backbox in many pinball machines.

Reference:

01-3745

2 months later
#71 7 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

The more I play this the more I think it's the most underrated game ever. Proper flipper alignment makes all the difference in the world!

There is a gate that is Normally Closed, that will stop the ball and drop it into the 3 lanes.

It is opened by a relay so you can do a full orbit shot when that mode is lit.

RM

Missing_gate_(resized).jpgMissing_gate_(resized).jpg

#73 7 years ago

The gate could be missing or damaged.
It could be mechanically stuck in the up position.
The transistor controlling the relay could be shorted on so the gate is always up when the game is on.

RM

#81 7 years ago

OK, since well all love our R&B machines so much, are there any code changes that we would like ChadH to make?

One bug I see is that the ending music gets cut off short, possibly when the game is on Free Play.

RussM

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Another one - we need combos in the game. Once you have the flippers right, you can combo this game like crazy...

I agree, but I'm not sure Chad can add new scoring features.

That's not just code, but audio callouts and animations too (usually)

Combos would be awesome, yes.

RussM

1 month later
#133 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

what did you use to clean them. I don't want to lose the stickers. I can't find them anywhere so want to be careful.

Use warm water and a little dish soap and a soft cloth.

Very safe.

RM

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Had mine for over a year now and it's very reliable. Great for location

Are you missing a switch on the left - the entrance to the Hat Trick lane?

RM

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Anyone know paint color code for the blue on cabinet?

http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm

Right there.

RussM

2 weeks later
#155 7 years ago

I have some R&B parts for sale if anyone needs anything.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocky-bullwinkle-parts-for-sale

RussM

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

hey fellas
Getting my machine put back together and noticing that my flashers on the play field don't work. They work in the back box but not on the playfield. Need some help on the schematics or ideas on where to start. I see that they go into J9 on the ppb board and then to the resistors, then diodes. All that stuff checks out.

Are you testing with incandescent or LED bulbs?

RM

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Incandescent. Would love to change over to leds if they work with the game

They do fine, but since they are diodes, you have to try them in the sockets both ways to make sure they light up (wedge-style #906)

RM

1 month later
#183 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Ok guys. So I'm back to getting mine 100%. So changed coils in back box and rhino coil locks on. Checked the whole route and everything is good. Diodes and resistor on ppb test good, new tip and resistor on cpu. No bridging in solder work. I'm stumped?

Can you take some pictures of the coils and wiring the way it is now?

Easier to diagnose a wiring issue that way.

RussMyers

#187 7 years ago

That wiring looks correct.

Has to be something else causing that Rhino coil to lock on.

The usual suspect is the transistor has shorted closed.

RussM

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

It's brand new. Tested good and also swapped out just for safety measure.

If the Rhino coil is locking on, that's the one on the far right.

The white wire is the power wire and the Purple w/Black stripe is the ground for that coil.

First thing, de-solder one end of the jumper wire from that coil that goes back to the Lion coil (the low-power mod) to eliminate it from the circuit and try again.

Does it still lock on?

RM

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I wonder if this does have something to do with it. It wasn't locking on when my flashers weren't working. The relay on the ppb board had cold solder joints and now my flashers work and now my rhino locks on.

Yes, on DE sys3 (just like Williams sys11 it copied) the low-power solenoids and flashers share drive transistors and the switch between them is the relay board.

So the Rhino coil locks on but the flashers driven by the same circuit do NOT lock on? Even in Flasher Test?

RM

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

So I just took the power off of the lion and the rhino still locks on.

OK, you have eliminated that mod as a problem.

RM

#201 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

So could a bad bulb socket (or diode if the flashers have diodes) cause a coil to lock on? I would think that if the flashers locked on they would burn up and be not as noticeable. Im going to test mine when i get home after disconnecting the super vuk coil.

I don't think so because the coil circuit and flasher circuit are not connected directly together - the relay board bank-switches between them, but I may be wrong and it is possible.

The flashers don't have diodes because they are DC and are not controlled in a matrix the way the controlled lamps are (like inserts).

RM

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

So had to unplug the back box coils to run lamp test. The 4 flashers that are tied to the rhino are locked on. Hmmm just doesn't make sense

How do you know the transistor isn't shorted to ground? Because that's the exact behavior.

Also, is there an additional pre-driver transistor in that circuit?

If there is, if either the main drive or pre-driver transistors are shorted, that circuit will lock-on.

RM

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I have tested and replaced the transistor. I will check pre driver and report back

OK, let us know.

Something is shorting that particular circuit to ground. You just have to find what is doing it.

When you replaced that transistor, you did clip the legs on the back? They aren't touching the metal backplane?

RM

3 months later
#277 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

ok, got my switches in, now to install. Upon removing the ramps to get the switches off, i noticed a couple of things that i don't think are correct, can you guys look and let me know.
Appreciate any and all help.

Does this album help you at all?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37999418@N04/albums/72157629437568588

RussMyers

#280 7 years ago

That curved metal plate behind the blue target and post - definitely non-factory. Added by someone to help with the ramp damage.

Have a look at these:

http://www.passionforpinball.com/RnB.htm

The before pics show the original setup

RM

1 year later
#510 5 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

Hello everyone. Do I have weak flippers on mine.... Am I supposed to make the right ramp shot with cradled ball? Currently I can't. Playfield angle is around 6,5 degrees. I can barely make it to the left one.

If your flippers are weak or very weak for DE machines:

Have they been rebuilt with new parts? Old, worn out flipper parts make the assembly weak.

DE flipper boards use a short pulse at 50volts and then a hold voltage at 9 volts.

If the 50v fuses on the flipper board are blown (or something else is wrong with the 50v circuit) you will only get the 9v hold voltage and the flippers will be weak.

Same thing if the EOS switches are broken or missing - no 50v kick and only the weak 9v hold voltage. NOTE: this only applies to DE games that have EOS switches (JP and later) R&B does not have EOS switches.

RussM

1 month later
#554 5 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

During game play the ball keeps getting caught behind the diverter in the uppper left section by the VUK. I’m not even sure how it gets there but there is no way to get it out without removing the glass.
Anyone else have this problem?
Any suggestions of where to start in trying to fix the issue?

Can you post some pics or video of this happening?

RM

#568 5 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

The ball gets stuck right by the orange TNT box graphic

That is odd.

1. Can you take a few more pics of that area zoomed out a bit; I want to look at your ramps more.

2. Does the diverter work correctly in coil test, and in gameplay (take glass off, hit the 3 Hat Trick targets so Hat Trick is lit, and then roll the ball into the lane; when the ball hits that rollunder switch, the diverter should swing all the way left and the ball should land in the VUK)

RussM

#573 5 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

you can do a daisy chain from one of the other coils and it won't be as powerful but will also not break your lion. Need to do this to mine. Mine hits up so hard that it gets stuck behind Bullwinkle's hand.

There's a full writeup of this including pics done by some weirdo on these forums.

RussMyers

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I'll have to search for it. If you happen to find the link before me please feel free to share it.
Thank you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rb-rocky-and-bullwinkle-mod-to-reduce-power-at-the-lion-backbox-coil

#580 5 years ago

OK, so manually with the glass off, when you hit the 3 hat trick targets and Hat Trick is lit,

Then shoot the ball into that lane, as the ball passes under the switch, the hat trick diverter should pop open to the left,

the ball should then land in the VUK cup and be shot into the yellow wireform.

Does this happen most of the time?

I can see how a weak shot could end up missing the VUK and then get stuck behind the diverter but I have never seen that happen on my own R&B after 6 or 7 years of owning one.

If a ball gets stuck there, the automatic ball search function should open the diverter to let it out - does that happen?

RussM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russmyers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club?tu=russmyers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.