(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,512 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2707 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2359 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jchybro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#472 5 years ago

Have had my R&B for over two years now but finally getting around to joining the club.

3 months later
#529 5 years ago

So i'm getting kind of tired of 90% of the skill shots going down the left lane. Would be cool to have more of a mix and even the right lane (God forbid) every once in a while.
What I've tried:
-Clean, wax the area.
-Fully clean the shooter coil, plunger, etc.
-Increased the coils to "hard" in adjustment settings.
Result is a tiny bit better but still see about 85% of the time it goes down the left lane / 0% down the right lane.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking about upgrading the shooter coil to a stronger coil and see if that can get the ball to bounce around at the top. Anyone done this or anything else to help? thanks!

#531 5 years ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

Do you get a bounce off of the gate lift? I'd check to see if it is installed correctly or needs to be adjusted.

From what i can tell yes. not much bounce off of the rubber below it. i'll look at the gate but it seems to be fine.

#534 5 years ago

I'm not at home right now but if I recall my rubber parts were misrouted. I know that all of my lanes get used and occasionally it misses them all and goes back down the loop. I'll picture it and send it when I get back.

Cool. Hopefully i can see something by looking at your pics. Thx

#536 5 years ago

I hope this helps.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you! Ill take a look when i get a chance in a couple weeks. Im now seeing about 80% left, 19% middle and, yes, 1% right lane since i waxed the area, cleaned the coil, and increased the coil power. If i dont see anything obvious when comparing photos ill prob try a 24-800 coil for a little more power.

1 week later
#547 5 years ago
Quoted from HamDandsome:

When I try to switch the light above the jet lanes for the skill shot it launches the ball and automatically say “you missed.” Can anyone help?

You may have launch with flipper enabled in options.

#549 5 years ago

Sorry Maybe i was thinking of scared stiff adjustments. Hmm. Anyway, found this thread. Sounds similar:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-flippers-launch-ball-help

#551 5 years ago

No problem! Good luck and let us know if u get it figured out.

#552 5 years ago

Skillshot Update: I ended up replacing my shooter coil with a 23-840 (090-5005-00) for a little more power and it has completely changed the skillshot. Now it's tough to figure out which lane the ball will end up going down. Much more fun!! The only issue is every once in a while (1 in 25) it's so strong the ball bounces completely out of the lanes and returns down the right. I'll take it any day though vs always ending up in the left lane. BTW, I set the coils to soft in settings. Now i have the right lane and middle lane being used as much as the left lane.

#567 5 years ago

Shoot again light only comes on when (if) you get a free ball. There is no short ball timer for this game .

There is a short ball timer but if your average ball time is high, it diables it. When it drains quickly it does an animation and says “stay tuned, there’s more” and launches another ball. Cant remember what the avg ball time that causes it to disable and I dont know if shoot again is lit during ball save time.

9 months later
#668 4 years ago

So I've noticed the left kickback value increases up to Advance X and if i continue to roll over a lit lane, it goes back to 1M. Is this coded this way or is something wrong with my machine? I gotta admit it does keep you on your toes since you have to change from trying to hit a lit up lane to avoiding the light.

4 weeks later
#679 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Question
Still discovering game rules and play
I notice that EVERY shot to the right ramp the balls gets diverted to the right via ramp diverter, it never goes through down to the left side of the Playfield
This normal ?

I believe it will only return to the left when "Spin and Win" mode is underway.

2 months later
#731 4 years ago
Quoted from scottacus:

Hello Poetry Pals! I bought a Rocky and Bullwinkle machine a couple of months ago and the Nell motor unit was not working so I tried fixing my motor but a previous owner had already already attempted this to no avail. I then bought a replacement motor from Marco for $64. Unfortunately this motor didn’t have enough torque to drive Nell with the original return spring so sometimes Nell moved towards the saw blade and sometimes Nell moved away from it.
In the original design the Data East designers chose to use an AC asynchronous motor that was geared down to 4RPM to drive the log and saw blade. Asynchronous motors (like the kind in your microwave turntable) will run either clockwise or counterclockwise depending on the starting position. This means that about half the time the motor will run the wrong way and put stress on the reduction gears which eventually fail.
I was frustrated with this because the Nell toy is one of the coolest parts of the machine so I decided to design a direct drop in replacement to fix this. My requirements were that the Nell toy unit that would:
1) always run the correct direction
2) reverse at the end of travel (save Nell or “It’s Curtains!”)
3) not run past the end of travel so that no undue stress is put onto the mechanism.
4) not require any rewiring or other complex electronic work, just plug and play!
To use this new system, the old Nell motor is removed and a new one is put in its place using the holes that mounted the old motor. The original gear and pulley are replaced with a new 3D printed version that can be mounted on the shorter shaft of the new motor. A new driver board with all of the onboard electronics is screwed to the bottom of the playfield in place of the original board and plugged into the native driver board plug (no rewiring). Nell needs to be slid to the far end away from the saw blade and you are ready to go!
Design, testing and manufacturing (Eagle design, custom etching, CNC drill pattern etc) has taken a lot of time so I made three boards since I was set up for production. One is in my machine and has been working great for a few weeks and the other two I’m offering up for sale to the first two Pinsiders who reach out to me via a message on Pinside. The cost for the board and 3D printed parts is $80 and I’ll ship via USPS Priority mail which is $8 for the small flat rate box for the continental US, I'm not sure about Hawaii or Alaska (Total of $88).
I've included photos down below of:
-The driver board mounted under the playfield.
-The motor with mount and printed gear/pulley unit.
-The two units that are for sale and ready to ship.
Here is a youtube video of the unit in action! First I show what happens when Nell is not rescued, note that the log moves at exactly the right speed to just reach the saw blade when "It's Curtains!" Second I show a Nell save. In each case the log moves quickly and smoothly back to it's starting point.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

PM sent.

3 weeks later
#740 4 years ago
Quoted from scottacus:

Hello Poetry Pals! I bought a Rocky and Bullwinkle machine a couple of months ago and the Nell motor unit was not working so I tried fixing my motor but a previous owner had already already attempted this to no avail. I then bought a replacement motor from Marco for $64. Unfortunately this motor didn’t have enough torque to drive Nell with the original return spring so sometimes Nell moved towards the saw blade and sometimes Nell moved away from it.
In the original design the Data East designers chose to use an AC asynchronous motor that was geared down to 4RPM to drive the log and saw blade. Asynchronous motors (like the kind in your microwave turntable) will run either clockwise or counterclockwise depending on the starting position. This means that about half the time the motor will run the wrong way and put stress on the reduction gears which eventually fail.
I was frustrated with this because the Nell toy is one of the coolest parts of the machine so I decided to design a direct drop in replacement to fix this. My requirements were that the Nell toy unit that would:
1) always run the correct direction
2) reverse at the end of travel (save Nell or “It’s Curtains!”)
3) not run past the end of travel so that no undue stress is put onto the mechanism.
4) not require any rewiring or other complex electronic work, just plug and play!
To use this new system, the old Nell motor is removed and a new one is put in its place using the holes that mounted the old motor. The original gear and pulley are replaced with a new 3D printed version that can be mounted on the shorter shaft of the new motor. A new driver board with all of the onboard electronics is screwed to the bottom of the playfield in place of the original board and plugged into the native driver board plug (no rewiring). Nell needs to be slid to the far end away from the saw blade and you are ready to go!
Design, testing and manufacturing (Eagle design, custom etching, CNC drill pattern etc) has taken a lot of time so I made three boards since I was set up for production. One is in my machine and has been working great for a few weeks and the other two I’m offering up for sale to the first two Pinsiders who reach out to me via a message on Pinside. The cost for the board and 3D printed parts is $80 and I’ll ship via USPS Priority mail which is $8 for the small flat rate box for the continental US, I'm not sure about Hawaii or Alaska (Total of $88).
I've included photos down below of:
-The driver board mounted under the playfield.
-The motor with mount and printed gear/pulley unit.
-The two units that are for sale and ready to ship.
Here is a youtube video of the unit in action! First I show what happens when Nell is not rescued, note that the log moves at exactly the right speed to just reach the saw blade when "It's Curtains!" Second I show a Nell save. In each case the log moves quickly and smoothly back to it's starting point.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Installed tonight. It is awesome. Finally Save Nell works the way it should! Quality kit and I highly recommend.

1 year later
#904 3 years ago
Quoted from Bravebluerx:

In regards to nell, mine doesnt return to a home position at end of game, nell just rotates through the motions until it hits max distance in that mode and then springs back to starting location and starts again until save nell mode stops

The mod linked below takes care of the nell issues. It is timed with the countdown to go to the max distance and always resets back to the start after every nell attempt. This is the way it should have originally been designed. There are posts about this mod about a year ago in this club.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=nell_driver
Also, you may be able to buy direct by sending a PM to scottacus

1 year later
#1243 1 year ago

I created a wav file called end.wav with no sound. Replace the existing legacy audio files on the usb drive in the music folder with end.wav:
0117737660-game_over_theme
1458029681-jurassic_park_pinball_preview_theme

Don't remember why i did the second folder. probably was getting stuck as well on the promo.
i would attach the wav file but the site won't let me upload it. PM me if you need me to email it to you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,900 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.50
$ 27.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jchybro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club?tu=jchybro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.