(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,513 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by 2x286ps
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bild_2024-04-22_231243432 (resized).png
IMG_2707 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-bee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#441 6 years ago

I bought Rocky & Bullwinkle as my first pinball machine a couple of months ago. Having played a lot of different pins, I find this one to be criminally underrated! However, it might be that this machine is an acquired taste. It's just different from most others, and I've been trying to figure out what I like about it so much, so here goes:

- The speed. This thing can be brutally fast! Now that I'm used to the adrenaline rush that comes with this machine, most others seem a bit slow and boring.

- The theme. I'm from the Netherlands, so I didn't know the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon, but the artwork and the callouts just instantly make me smile. One thing that gets me everytime is when you hit the Lion shot and you see Bullwinkle getting a pinball hit to the face.

- Multiball (or Tri-Ball). I haven't played another machine yet where multiball is such a riot! The music and the lighting just goes all out, and hitting jackpots feel so good with all the bells and whistles that go off. Again, this stuff just puts a smile on my face.

- The colors / lighting. All the bright colors and dynamic lighting really make this game stand out. It's just inviting to look at. I've noticed that it makes most other games look a bit dull in comparison.

- It's unpredictable. R&B has a lot of random features in it, like the Mystery award, Hat trick, and Mystery select. One of the things that disqualifies this game for a lot of people is the random 'double score' award. I understand the problem with this, but to me it makes every game a surprise and prevents this machine from getting predictable. I've you're playing the same machine over and over, it's actually very nice to have a lot of random awards in it.

Anyway, there's my experience with this wonderful game. Oh, one more thing: everytime I read about R&B, people bring up the 'wrong hat' callout like it's a game-breaking annoyance. I've played this game everyday for three months straight and it hasn't even been an annoyance to me once, so it seems to me that this issue is blown way out of proportion.

Auf wiedersehen!

1 week later
#451 6 years ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

Just FYI - The score doubling only comes into play if you get a Mystery Select with a score less than 100M or a Super Mystery Select with less than 300M. I think it's also possible with a ???, but the score limit is based on whether or not you recently got a SMS or not.
Jon

Thanks for the info! I suspected something like this, since the double score award usually came up early in the game.

#454 6 years ago

I recently noticed that Rocky (the Rabbit) never came up anymore when I started the Hat Trick. After a lot of digging I found out that a factory reset (in the Adjustments menu) fixed the problem. I thought i'd share this here since more people might be having this problem, and the thread that mentions this solution is pretty hard to find.

4 months later
#485 5 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

Hello everyone. Do I have weak flippers on mine.... Am I supposed to make the right ramp shot with cradled ball? Currently I can't. Playfield angle is around 6,5 degrees. I can barely make it to the left one.

Yes, you should definitly be able to make those shots, so I'm guessing you have weak flippers or it's set up too steep.

3 weeks later
#509 5 years ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

While 3.20 is technically the latest code, Data East (and even later into the 2000s Stern manuals for newer games) continued to report 1.30 as the latest code. The official Stern CD-ROMs that used to be available also contain version 1.30. My recollection from messing with the two is that 3.20 had a bug in the custom pricing settings that caused odd behavior with certain setting combinations. If you are using free play or standard pricing, I don't think there was a problem with either version.
3.20 also added support for printouts, but since the necessary wiring is probably not present on most R&Bs and the printers aren't exactly commonplace anyway, it's kind of a moot point. I wrote up a deep dive into the rules using 1.30 several years ago and updated Keefer's rule sheet, but it should apply to either version:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fractured-pinball-rules-rocky-and-bullwinkle-re-re-re-visited
Please note that in general you don't want to mix major versions of the CPU and Display ROMs or you may get weird graphics and/or display resets.
Jon

One known bug in 3.20 is that Rocky doesn't show up in the Hat Trick after a while. Doing a software reset fixes it, but the problem always comes back. I have no idea why this is, and if this bug is only present in 3.20 or also in the earlier versions.

2 months later
#592 5 years ago

Here's a random video of me playing The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, thought i'd share it here

4 months later
#653 5 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

I’m having what appears to be a switch problem. What has me puzzled is that these two seeming unrelated switch issues show themselves at the same time.
When the ball goes into the Aesop hole (left side) it does not come back up until the machine goes into ball find mode. It then kicks it out and game continues to play. Similarly, when a ball drains, the ball is not registering as over. No bonus calculated , no new ball started.
These two problems areas come together but yet seem otherwise unrelated. Any suggestions?

I also have the problem of not registering a drain sometimes. A simple nudge of the machine will cause it to register in my case. The aesop hole problem I experienced as well, and had to readjust the switch under the ball through

6 months later
#687 4 years ago

Ive changed the light bulbs to LED and its important to note that you cant trust the manual when it comes to the lights. I bought a lot of wrong parts because of this.

Second, I dont think you should clean with water at all. There are cleaners made specifically for this task

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
$ 29.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g-bee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club?tu=g-bee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.