(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,495 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2359 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7472 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7466 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bravebluerx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#859 3 years ago

Asking for some help from someone in one of the European countries that could help me with one plastic Nell part to complete my bullwinkle pinball! I Cant find just the Nell plastic used or repro that mounts on the log in the states, all are part of a larger repro set. I could make one, but looking to stay original.

I reached out to the German vendor Below in english, but not sure they have the US shipping or English capability. i would ask someone to have this part shipped to you in one of their supported countries and then to me in the states. California.

https://pinball-parts.shop/kategoriesuche/spielfeldteile/plastics/30872/nell-plastik-bullwinkle?c=158

I would cover all costs associated and could
entice you with buying you a 6 pack or if there is something else if you dont drink alcohol

Thank you!

#860 3 years ago

Request fulfilled, thank you radial_head!

Quoted from Bravebluerx:

Asking for some help from someone in one of the European countries that could help me with one plastic Nell part to complete my bullwinkle pinball! I Cant find just the Nell plastic used or repro that mounts on the log in the states, all are part of a larger repro set. I could make one, but looking to stay original.
I reached out to the German vendor Below in english, but not sure they have the US shipping or English capability. i would ask someone to have this part shipped to you in one of their supported countries and then to me in the states. California.
https://pinball-parts.shop/kategoriesuche/spielfeldteile/plastics/30872/nell-plastik-bullwinkle?c=158
I would cover all costs associated and could
entice you with buying you a 6 pack or if there is something else if you dont drink alcohol
Thank you!

#861 3 years ago

Anyone install a Mezel TV mod to their Bullwinkle pin? Curious to install location and overall impressions

https://mezelmods.com/products/rocky-and-bullwinkle-pinball-tv-video-display-mod?variant=30197743368

3 weeks later
#879 3 years ago

Thats an awesome story. You beat me out on getting that unit from him i did pick one up a week after though. Did u get the right side alignment gap with the cabinet fixed?

Quoted from SirrPinalot:

Picked up mine about a couple months ago and turns out the last owner bought it from Six Flags Magic Mountain and had it for the last 20 years and i remember playing it when i worked there pretty funny I can now say I owned something from my first job/childhood Great game son loves it

#881 3 years ago
Quoted from SirrPinalot:

Still have not got to it yet honestly dont know how too haha also picked up a popeye a couple days after game is super underrated came with white powder coated rails and legs and new decals still have to install them any chance you know a guy named Oliver?

That name doesnt sound familiar. I never even new there was a popeye pinball, congrats on the pickup. I’m fairly new to the pin scene but have gained quite a bit of repair skills from them the last year of ownership

#883 3 years ago
Quoted from SirrPinalot:

He´s the guy I purchased them off of great guy, I used to own an arcade back in the day called Nickel Mania in Lancaster only game i kept after it went out was SWE1 got it from CA Robinson NIB before they hit the hay I would stick with pinballs there always a fun time/hobby and great addition when you have friends or family over

Very cool.

I’m glad you ended up with the bullwinkle from Ivan considering your history of using it years back, it was meant for you full circle machine. I was bummed I missed out on it by a $100 Difference, but now super stoked it went to the right guy. Meant to be.

2 weeks later
#891 3 years ago

I just installed the pin2dmd 128x32 Evo led panel in my bullwinkle today. A little research needed to understand everything but once you understand the basics and read the documentation on pin2dmd site, its straight forward and much cheaper option than color dmd. Color dmd may have a slightly more complete colorization file for all the bullwinkle frames, but so far this looks pretty good work.

I ran a 12v connection From the Bullwinkle CN6 with an ebay data east power tap (ebay.com link: Data East 12V 5V pinball power tap ) and that goes to the back Evo board 12v connection which has an onboard voltage converter that gives the led panel the 5v and higher amperage it needs coming from the CN6 connection. The evo board has a multitude of voltage input options which was initially confusing.

It ran me $210 shipped from pinside user Bsanders who even printed me out the 3d spacers and sd card configured for bullwinkle at no charge! There is also a large open source colorization community.

Additional Pics to follow shortly
87BAF82C-9541-4A9C-A53C-59320A86CB6B (resized).png87BAF82C-9541-4A9C-A53C-59320A86CB6B (resized).pngD44A3A66-E7AA-46EB-BE54-03C2E18FF668 (resized).pngD44A3A66-E7AA-46EB-BE54-03C2E18FF668 (resized).png

FA51FE54-69FE-409C-82F9-EAB9EBFE1E7C (resized).pngFA51FE54-69FE-409C-82F9-EAB9EBFE1E7C (resized).png4B05C113-E9D4-4601-AC54-3DB79261628C (resized).png4B05C113-E9D4-4601-AC54-3DB79261628C (resized).png9BC7A27B-2ADA-41CB-AE96-BAE35E9FC4BF (resized).png9BC7A27B-2ADA-41CB-AE96-BAE35E9FC4BF (resized).png01F8AC2C-D227-4D7B-A394-A7DB1CF759F5 (resized).png01F8AC2C-D227-4D7B-A394-A7DB1CF759F5 (resized).pngF1F4861D-5237-4518-BBCE-8CF452CC9678 (resized).pngF1F4861D-5237-4518-BBCE-8CF452CC9678 (resized).png
#901 3 years ago
Quoted from SirrPinalot:Just found a cool ¨Easter egg¨ on R&B if you look next to were the wabac machines part is on the playfield on the left side it looks like the delorean zooming in Just a neat little thing I thought i´d share

DFD22A4F-CC11-4B44-8CE7-78CC1FD40B41 (resized).jpegDFD22A4F-CC11-4B44-8CE7-78CC1FD40B41 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#903 3 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

Hello all
I have just got my RB operational after getting my boards serviced and have no idea where Nell is supposed to sit when the machine finishes.Nell has been non operational since I got the pin and now with my boards serviced I dont know what Nell actually does and where she sits normally with power off or end of game. I get a little movement in the coil test . Dont know if my motor is good or bad.
One other thing wrong is the bottom pop does not work. Switch test is ok but it does not fire in coil test.It does have a gottleib 49-83 coil in it not a 090-5001-00 could this be the problem?
Thanks

In regards to nell, mine doesnt return to a home position at end of game, nell just rotates through the motions until it hits max distance in that mode and then springs back to starting location and starts again until save nell mode stops

#905 3 years ago
Quoted from jchybro:

The mod linked below takes care of the nell issues. It is timed with the countdown to go to the max distance and always resets back to the start after every nell attempt. This is the way it should have originally been designed. There are posts about this mod about a year ago in this club.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=nell_driver
Also, you may be able to buy direct by sending a PM to scottacus

Thanks for the info, doesnt bother me that much actually since so much is usually going on with the pinballs on the playfield to even notice nell.

2 weeks later
#913 3 years ago

For the price its great, and one seller of the pin2dmd here,bsanders, gives you everything you need with the mounting pieces. The colorization file is done by the community is pretty good, no complaints.

Takes a little reading up to understand what all the 12v and 5v power input connections are for on pin2dmd, (not using your original display power), and jumping off another backboard power option. The evo board mounted to the back of the pin2dmd has a 12v input which will convert it to the 5v needed for the led display.

Quoted from TronGuy:

$210 shipped total.
I thinks its $420 for the colordmd
I have no idea what the color differences are, but I LOVE this one.

#918 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

so anyone know of a video for R&B for the pin2dmd?

Send me your email and I’ll send you my video of the pin2dmd on the r&b in action

D8FA20D8-1B1A-4C15-B1D6-CF89A4A8314D (resized).pngD8FA20D8-1B1A-4C15-B1D6-CF89A4A8314D (resized).png
#920 3 years ago

Several PMs for the video file, so its now uploaded to YouTube here:

#923 3 years ago

My pin2dmd came preloaded with the colorization file from vpuniverse (8/14/2019 posting) and the key activation, but you can pull the microsd card and update to the 10/31/2019 colorization version posted on http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4133-adventures-of-rocky-and-bullwinkle-and-friends-wip/

You'll need your eeprom Game rom versions and display board rom to be on the latest R&B version.

As another user pointed out there are some slight colorization mismatches on bullwinkle's antlers and Snedley's face on a few of the scenes that I never caught while playing in game. The pin2dmd color author stated it was his first attempt. If you want perfect colorization jump on the ColorDMD. If you want an opensource color file and only want to spend $210, thats the tradeoff

#926 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

From the video it is a great first attempt. Is he looking for feedback on what frames could use tweaking? If it’s open then maybe others can help tidy it up.

Great point, worth a shot. the colorization author’s vp post is a year old but he seemed to make fixes back then when other users pointed it out

#929 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Is the pin2dmd colorization complete? Im curious as i couldnt find the release trailer on vpuniverse.

It may be missing a colored few scenes per the authors statement on the vp link i posted in post #923 I havent seen any so far other than superpops with the rats being greyscale unless that was the intent.
You can watch the video on my post #920.

#931 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Just saw the video!! Thanks for that!! Im on the fence with getting a pin2dmd, kinda want it for my lw3 as the colorization is 100%, but this looks good too. Damn i hope they finish it up.
Where did u get that tv from? Thats great!!

Tv from mezelmods; it came preloaded but i changed the video to the first episode. Converting the video for the display is a bit of a process, 2.5xspeed formatting, avi divx codec(or other), and then programming it with the minidisplay builder software to the correct size.

https://mezelmods.com/products/rocky-and-bullwinkle-pinball-tv-video-display-mod

#938 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I will get a pic. It is very simple.

Check out my post #891 here

#947 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

so was talking to a buddy about pin2dmd. he was telling me about some of the shortcomings about them. he was coloring some games for it and found it all depends on the size of the ram that the game has. when we were talking about the pin2dmd for this game and the animations not being complete, he said it could be that the ram is filled and not able to do anymore coloring. anyone know about this?

The color Author didnt mention this as the reason for the coloring not being complete, but his lack of being able to a activate certain scenes deep in the game. Other virtual pin users provided guidance on how to enable those scenes he may have missed in the virtual pin forums I linked to previously. For $210 the coloring is fine for all the scenes i have played through in the game, a few scene shade mismatches you probably wont notice while playing, but this was someone doing it for free so we can cut him some slack or learn how to fix the shortcomings. Havent heard of ram limitations on this though with the color file on a micro sd card.

1 week later
#962 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

No, same factory flippers coils. This game couldnt make the ramps, at all. flipper bats were cracked, and jackpot diverter was misadjusted so that vuk is brand new. Right ramp is in NOS condition down to the entrance thats still perfect. Even the Nell motor is factory and still works fine. Original belt is still there but stretched.
Every coil in the game has the period correct Bear Claw paper wrapper and the coils have the banded wrappers.
Now both flippers are great. Factory ones at that and i have the rear legs jacked to the max and the fronts are slammed.
Its a weird one that i think just spent most of its time as a glorified night light in the corner of a location and didnt move... or get played.

Solder joints could have looked physically good, but could have needed a reflow which you may have inadvertently done with swapping them. With reflowing its best practice to remove all the old solder and reflow new. This also allows you to inspect the wiring going to the coils and cutting and stripping back new wiring if needed.

Nice job on fixing it and sharing.

4 weeks later
#1006 3 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

Hello all.My screen goes blank during game play for a few seconds then returns.Sometimes a couple of seconds and sometimes 10 seconds or until the ball drains. I have just had all my boards serviced. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks Scott.

When you say serviced, did they reflow the solder header connections on the display pcb? Cold solder joints would cause intermittent display issues or a worn out ribbon cable or poor connection with display rom or socket. Try reseating the rom display chip in the socket and ribbon cable first

#1007 3 years ago
Quoted from Bravebluerx:

When you say serviced, did they reflow the solder header connections on the display pcb? Cold solder joints would cause intermittent display issues or a worn out ribbon cable or even a bad solder joint on the display board rom socket.

2 months later
#1111 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

So i double checked with the manual and coils are the correct ones
Vuk 23-800
Ball launch 24-940
Does anyone know what would be a good substitute coil to use something a little less powerful? I haven’t even waxed this game yet and balls are flying haha

Change the coil springs out to one with a different spring rate so that it will slow down the coil plunger when its activated. I had the same issue with a stttng pin on a vuk coil and I tried different strength coil springs and solved the issue by slowing down the coil plunger with a different spring that hit the pinball up and out softer, in that specific application a spring with less coiling (less springy) worked for me to slow down the hard hit of the coil plunger on the ball.

1 year later
#1267 1 year ago

Hello was looking through the forums but couldn't find a picture of anyone who completed the service bulletin 38C and added the post referenced. I’m having the orbit drain issue and wanted to add this but would like a reference pic on your angle of the rail. Thanks!

0E8C2D4C-CED8-4629-9652-350510D84E73 (resized).jpeg0E8C2D4C-CED8-4629-9652-350510D84E73 (resized).jpeg
#1271 1 year ago
Quoted from MWM82:

Anyone know of a feature adjustment to disable more than 1 player? Glanced through the manual, but maybe I missed it.
Kids come up and start a 4 player game all too frequently and I default to power cycle the machine.

I was just thinking the same thing with my kids always hitting the start button during game play so many time then it will trigger a ball search during game play starting the game over.

#1273 1 year ago
Quoted from MWM82:

Your lineup is amazing.

Thanks! Collecting in the bay area is challenging with so many flippers to compete with.

8 months later
#1357 11 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Follow-up on this. The suggested location of the post behind the rail is under a ramp. Installation would require disassembly of a significant portion of the topside. However, removing just the plastic covering that area only takes about four or five fasteners. It does not have to come all the way out, just shift a little if you want to see the keyline on the artwork in the support bulletin. Easy enough to simply bend the rail, even if you didn't remove anything.

Bending the rail a bit worked for me a while back just a little bit made a difference, no center drains now. Saved the trouble of drilling a new post.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
Hardware
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 27.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
3,900 (OBO)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bravebluerx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club?tu=bravebluerx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.