(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,512 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2707 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2359 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#487 5 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

Hi guys,
Been trying to restore my RB, I got some controlled lamps issues, change some transistor and both ls7408. I noticed this little tantalum(C121) cap exploded, I can read LH4 3232 it seems like .1uf, what should be a replacement?? V?
Gustavo

I don't believe that one is a tantalum cap. Looks more like a standard axial ceramic cap.

#488 5 years ago

What is the latest ROM version for Rocky and Bullwinkle? I've seen v1.3 and a version 3.2

#489 5 years ago

Could someone confirm what the value is of crystal oscillator on the CPU board? Mine is trashed and the writing is gone. From the schematics it looks like it should be 8mhz. An image that shows the printing on the crystal would be awesome.

Thank you!

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

3.2 and 1.3 is correct for sound and game. I'm not an expert on the electrical board stuff. This crystal thing, I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you can take a pic of the board and point to it I can try to help you out.

There is a small silver rectangular oscillator that sits right above the .CPU under the battery. It may show something like 8.00Mhz on it. All the writing and markings are gone off mine and it was damaged by the battery. Amazingly the rest of the board looks great. I have a variety of crystals and just need to confirm it isn't another speed like 4, 6, 16, etc. It will look something like the attached picture.

IMG_1080 (resized).JPGIMG_1080 (resized).JPG
#493 5 years ago

That's it! Can you make out the writing on it? The picture is a bit fuzzy.

#495 5 years ago

VALPEY-FISHER
8.000000MHz
VF150
KOREA 9338
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but my game was manufactured in England...

That should do it. Thank you! It matches what I suspected was going to be in there. Maybe I'll be able to try it out later today after all!

That part is the crystal and sets the timing for the whole CPU board. You can almost think of it as a heart beat. Higher number more beats or transitions per second.

#496 5 years ago

I was able to get the board fixed and back in the machine. Fun game!

Has anyone installed the pinblades? If do how easy were they to install and how do they look? Any pictures with them installed?

#498 5 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I have, I can shoot a pic tonight. Very easy to install

It will be nice to see the pictures. Did you just pull out the whole playfield to install? Any issues with the playfield rubbing on them as you lift it to work on?

#502 5 years ago

If the issue is with the 5v supply then it probably needs a new 100uf (25v or higher) cap and maybe some traces fixed under it.... I've fixed several of these including mine.

#504 5 years ago

Have you looked over the playfield to see if any wires wore through, pinched under a fastener, or somehow shorting against something it shouldn't?

#506 5 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Good call. I haven’t done that yet. Probably should look around but a bunch of coils aren’t working so a lot of wires have to be messed up then right?

May have been a single short in the wrong place that may have taken out some drivers. Definitely look for shorts. It has happened on other machines.

After ensuring that things look good it can help to make a list of the specific coils that aren't working to see if there is something in common that would prevent them from working. I'd look for any prior repair work or hacks. Any if the bad coils replaced? Was a diode installed backwards or left off where there should be one? Was this game ever working for you or a new pickup with an unknown past?

#507 5 years ago

Are the ones you have issues with driven by the PPB board? I've had to repair those before. If you've never had the boards out of it take a good look at the front and back of each. It is amazing what people have done to pinball boards in the past. I've spent a lot of time straightening out hacks and fixing boards to make them right again.

#512 5 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Here you go..

Sorry, wasn't really able to get the glass off (have to move a machine), so there is some glare in the one pic.
Looking at the pic, I think there is one bubble on the left side. I hade these rolled up for a long time. but that is me, not the product.

Thank you! Those really look good and ties in with the theme well. I've never installed a set before but just ordered them. I think they will be great in the game.

#516 5 years ago

My game was missing the topper. The one I ordered just arrived but it is only the plastic piece. Does anyone have a good picture of the brackets and fasteners to mount it? I'm sure I could just get some L brackets at the hardware store if I have to. If you happen to have a source for the proper ones a link to get them would be great.

1 week later
#518 5 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for the plastic lift edge for the bottom of the backglass.

#523 5 years ago

Does the coil sleeve seem worn or sloppy where it aims the ball toward the back edge?

3 weeks later
#528 5 years ago
Quoted from gvac:

Has anyone recently painted a Rocky and Bullwinkle cabinet and backbox? If so, what paint did you use and what was the color that matched the original?

If you just need touch ups this works well:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club/page/3#post-3272357

1 week later
#540 5 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Hey club members. I am happy to say that I FINALY got mine fully working!!! Now have a couple cosmetic things to do. So what leds are you guys running in yours? I want to bling this thing out!

I've used Comet and some from cointaker LEDs with good results on other games. Haven't switched over on the Rocky and Bullwinkle yet except for the shoot again because it was out. Used a red one to match the insert. I've had good luck color matching the inserts. Regular or warm white LEDs for the GI or backbox.

You may want to order a few samples before you dive in. The brightness can vary a bit. Some superbright are way too bright and some of the bargain LEDs aren't as bright as a bulb. You'll have to see what looks good to you where you have the machine setup.

I would avoid some of the "kits" for your game unless you love purple. There are several kits sold with color GI and they all look purple. That would make a game worth less to me as I'd have to pull them out and replace them.

1 week later
#566 5 years ago

Shoot again light only comes on when (if) you get a free ball. There is no short ball timer for this game .

Are you sure about that? On mine there had been a few times when a really short ball ends up showing "Stay tuned" and kicks out a new ball. There must be some setting to control it.

What ROM version do you have? I am running 1.3

#571 5 years ago

On the backbox animation the Rhino and Rockybwork perfect. The lion goes up the drops a bit before lowering. I've read others have issues with the lion. What's up with that particular one? I saw a note about changing the coil voltage for that one. What are the known issues and fixes for that?

#574 5 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

There's a full writeup of this including pics done by some weirdo on these forums.
RussMyers

I'll have to search for it. If you happen to find the link before me please feel free to share it.

Thank you.

#576 5 years ago

Awesome. Thank you! After reading the details it makes a lot of sense to me. Sounds like it a simple mod to perform before there is a real problem.

1 month later
#600 5 years ago

While people are asking for pictures it would be cool to see how the ground strap for the head is supposed to be attached. I had one hanging loose on my game.

#603 5 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

thanks for the picture. it helps. my button mount appears to be switched out with a metal plate that has a cobbled hole cut in it causing the switch to not seat correctly. any chance someone could send a pic of the wiring to the switch? mine has some resistor soldered in there and a wire crimped over time of it. doesn't seem correc. it works but I know its not right

I think Marco has the correct housing, mounting, and Boris button for the game if you need those.

#610 5 years ago
#612 5 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

thanks guys for all the help. I am new to fixing my own pins so I get nervous working on them. the think I don't get is they mounted a metal plate over the spot where the switch goes and them added a bracket to the plate and half ass made a hole in the plate for the switch to fit. I don't get why they removed the 2 brackets to do this

If you ever have problems with the boards I am local and have rebuilt a bunch of them. Just finished repairing a Data East MPU that had all sorts of hacks on it.

Robert

#615 5 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Question, I have the attract music set to on but never hear it. Only thing that plays is music for Jurassic park pin that is coming out. Is there a problem or is there no real music?

Do you know the history of the machine? Maybe someone swapped out a sound card or sound card ROM chips.

2 weeks later
#621 5 years ago
Quoted from gvac:

When I start my R&B I get this strange screen, the game starts and displays the Bullwinkle Skill Shot display for the entire game. All features of the game work properly except the display. Had anyone seen this display before?
[quoted image]

I'd check the ribbon cable connection to the DMD display board first. Beyond that I'd probably pull the power board if it hasn't been gone through and replace the 5v cap since those are always bad and then check the ROMs to verify the images and make a new set of the v1.3 version for both the MPU and Display.

2 months later
#636 5 years ago

Does anyone happen to have an extra Boris plastic for the shooter lane? Just noticed this one is cracked and could use a replacement.

Boris_Plastic (resized).jpgBoris_Plastic (resized).jpg
#637 5 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for the correct short rubber bungie cord in the base to hold up the playfield? The one on my game has one end ripped out.

#639 5 years ago

That housing should fit tight against the cabinet in the recessed area. I just installed a replacement housing and correct Boris button on mine. The screw holes in the reproduction housing were a bit off so I had to file them out a little in order to get the screws in. Luckily it wasn't a lot and the head still covered the holes.

One odd fact is that the orientation of the housing for the Boris button and the locating holes were 90 degrees off from the original. I re drilled those holes to match the original. I also had to take apart the Boris button to turn the insert 90 degrees so it all matched the original. This was all in addition to enlarging the holes above to get that new cover installed.

Also installed a white led since it should last longer that a bulb and it would be a pain to change later.

1 week later
#645 5 years ago

What version of the main ROM is your machine running? Is it v1.3

I have the latest version in mine and it does the same thing. Seems that the default sound that the sound board makes may be that phrase. Maybe the earlier version of the main ROM just let the sound card run. The newer one may reset it sooner to cut off the sound.

Either way it always seemed like a random startup sound until the boards finish initializing during a power up.

No issues when the game is on or playing.

2 weeks later
#656 5 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

I’m still having the Aesop and center drain ball registering problem. They test okay in the switch test. Checked the green and white wire. All connections seem solid along the chain. Played around with the switches but to no avail.
I’ve ordered new switches for both. Seems like a weird coincidence that both switches would go out at the same time, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

How did you check the switches? Was it by pressing on the with a finger or setting a ball on it? That can make a difference.

#658 5 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a picture of the backbox with the DMD panel laying down? My game has two ground leads that come from each lower corner of the back box and they have a clear tube around them for insulation. The one on the left goes to the DMD panel but the one on the right is disconnected. I'm not sure if that should go to the ground on the DMD drier board or somewhere else. Can someone confirm where those two ground leads should be attached?

Thank You.

3 months later
#664 4 years ago

I've been able to do some testing and it seems that swapping out MPU boards can make a difference with the hum on the sound card. I have a quite MPU, a very noisy one, and one with just a little hum. I'm trying to isolate what is different between them to see if swapping parts on that board can help.

1 month later
#677 4 years ago

This video has a great overview of the rules and gameplay.

1 month later
#718 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I noticed that my machine has code 1.10 (I think)
I am a rom burning newb. Does anyone sell a plug and play chip for the update?

If I recall you'll want to check the display ROM since it should also be updated to match. I made the latest set for mine and it works great.

1 week later
#725 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I need to consider upgrading the revision from 1.10 to whatever the most current is, and boom I'll be as good as I could hope to be.
edit : oh yeah , I need to install the new Lion I have in the back box, and finish rebuilding/reflowing solder to each of the boards in the back box. 2 down, 2 to go.

When you go to 1.10 make sure you upgrade the display ROM as well. There is a matching version for that. I'd have to check but I think the one I run is 1.3

1 month later
#744 4 years ago

Has anyone found a source for the correct short rubber bungee cord that is used to hold up the playfield? Still looking for one of those.

4 months later
#773 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Just jumping in here! Club member over here! Currently going through and stripping my game down. Planning on doing new cabinet decals, and a few of the boards need new components. Power Supply board needs to be rebuilt and the sound board needs new capacitors.[quoted image][quoted image]

I don't see battery damage on your MPU but I would pull the batteries and install NVRAM on the board. Then you'll never have to worry about it.

On the board board check the fuse clips, look for cold solder joints and at least replace the cap for the 5V supply. That one often leaks and eats the traces so you may need to do trace repairs too. Fixed a bunch of those.

For the sound issues if it is excess noise the caps may help a little but just be warned that most DE games just make a lot of excess noise. Comes from the MPU, lamps in attract mode, power supply, etc. Several sources and there is a huge thread on pinside just about audio issues. Some games are noisier than others. A lot of people just install a dedicated switching supply for the sound to resolve it. FYI

1 month later
#786 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Finally able to get my R&B over from the warehouse (my parents basement) into the homestead (my apartment haha) so I could work on it more regularly.
This was working when I got it but quickly stopped booting. Going to see if I can get to the bottom of it while I do a full playfield teardown and clean.[quoted image][quoted image]

Have you checked for battery damage? It tends to leak down on the CPU chip and the crystal oscillator. Can often eat through the fine traces for the clock and reset line. Also the cap for the 5V supply often goes bad. Those tend to leak as well and eat away at the traces on the PCB. I had to fix that on mine and have repaired a bunch of other boards with similar issues.

4 weeks later
#814 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I the brackets with the l-shaped lip removed fit perfectly. Will report to Marco.
Additionally, I put a new set of plastics on my game, so if anybody is interested in the lot, as-is, or has some specific pieces they're missing let me know. Quite a few of my old ones are cracked or have scratches but there are plenty of good ones in the lot.

How is the Boris plastic for the shooter lane? Would be interested in that and the saw blade.

1 month later
#832 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Alright, with all of that, plastic flattened, track cleaned, coil sleeve cleaned (it is one with a lip that I didn't have on hand), foam on the bottom to catch their falls replaced, wires re-soldered. Arm mechanism replaced and tuned. NOTHING will make the rhino go down. I'm considering adding a weight to it on the bottom to see if that helps its natural fall, but outside of replacing that track, which I don't think exists online, I'm stumped. I might see if a friend can 3D Print a new, more resilient track, but that seems VERY extreme.
Any thoughts?

If it is not going down on it's own is it binding anywhere? Maybe just half a drop of the teflon superlube at the pivot point? Sounds like there is still binding or resistance to movement somewhere.

4 months later
#914 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

$210 shipped total.
I thinks its $420 for the colordmd
I have no idea what the color differences are, but I LOVE this one.

Could you post a link on where to buy this? Also do you know if there are any video's of it running in the game? I've seen some of the Color DMD and wonder how this compares.

#924 3 years ago

From the video it is a great first attempt. Is he looking for feedback on what frames could use tweaking? If it’s open then maybe others can help tidy it up.

#932 3 years ago
Quoted from Bravebluerx:

Great point, worth a shot. the colorization author’s vp post is a year old but he seemed to make fixes back then when other users pointed it out

I sent him a message asking if there is anyway that I (or anyone else) can contribute or help get it to 100%

#935 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

Ha i forgot to plug the +5 back in. All good now. I am pumped!
[quoted image]

Where did you tie in the power cable for the display? Any more pictures of the power wiring and how the mounting goes?

1 month later
#1012 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I bought the pin2dmd for around $210. I love it.
I have a 100% working original dmd I just pulled. If you decide you want it, $60 shipped.

If he doesn't want it I could use it. I'm rebuilding my test jig and want to add a DMD display to it.

2 weeks later
#1051 3 years ago

If you’re not going to keep it black then either of your mix and match variations would work.

2 weeks later
#1079 3 years ago
Quoted from ChanceKJ:

Anyone want to speak to mirror blade compatibility? I have access to sets of both Stern and Bally Williams blades from another local collector. but I'm finding mixed info on my searches for compatibility. Has anyone here put non-data east blades on their RBF? What else do I need to be aware of?

Why? If you are going to install one what about these?

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/rocky-and-bullwinkle-gameblades

I bought a set for mine that I plan on installing soon. Machines the theme and goes with the background. From pictures I've seen it looks like the game should have come with them.

#1083 3 years ago

I think they are all good options. Just posted the link to the ones that matched the background in case people hadn't seen them.

#1092 3 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Frostbilte Falls Minnesota , desert,
Rocky&Bullwinkle
Ha Ha funny!

Guess they were factoring in Global warming...

1 month later
#1136 3 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

I have taken off the connector and bridged header pin 3 to connector pin 4 and coil tested right pop and center pop works.I guess its time to take the board off.
Thanks Clempo I would not of thought to do that. Any thoughts on the next step?
Cheers mate.

If you look at the MPU board does it look like any of the transistors have been replaced? If so what is the quality of the work and did they put in the correct parts?

1 week later
#1144 2 years ago

So it happened. I've bought a few games in the past that had a burned up coil when I bought them but this is the first one that has ever smoked on a game that I've had up and running. It looks like the TIP36 is bad. Just not sure the series of events that caused it but luckily have the parts onhand to rebuild this and fix replace the bad TIP36 on the board.

How may of you have had an issue with the VUK?

VUKfried (resized).jpgVUKfried (resized).jpg
#1146 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

that sucks man. I have not had an issue with mine but watch tonight I will. lol. There has to be something more than the tip36c that caused it to meltdown. do some more checking on the path in the schematic.

That is always the question isn't it! When something happens what was the sequence of events that transpired to cause the failure. Did the VUK bind and it stayed energized too long taking out the TIP then that ended up locking on the coil and literally smoking it. (I was not happy seeming smoke coming from the ALSOP hole)

Or did the switch fail, or a bad driver (or pre driver) on the MPU or even the PIA driving those? Definitely will be checking it all over. I've fixed a bunch of the PPB boards for others and now get to fix my own for a change.

I may just solder one leg on the new coil and clip on a 2.5A SB fuse until I am sure it will be ok. Thinking I may end up installing an inline fuse holder and leave it just to be safe.

#1147 2 years ago

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I went to reassemble the Super VUK for the ALSOP hole but I don't think my was assembled properly to begin with. Just curious if the sleeve with the shoulder went toward the top of the playfield or towards the bottom of the cabinet. To me it looks like the shoulder on the sleeve should be on the bottom. Also is the coil mounted with the lugs toward the bottom of the cabinet or toward the playfield? The picture in the manual seems to indicate the lugs were up toward the playfield.

Could use some reference photos so I can get this back together the way it should be. Just need to install that assembly and adjust the new switch and I should have my game up and running again.

#1148 2 years ago

I found a picture that shows the coil with the lugs up by the playfield so I assembled it like that and I like the way the wires are routed better. Also the part of the sleeve with the shoulder had to got towards the bottom of the cabinet. Otherwise the spring loaded cup hits it and wouldn't sit all the way down. Fits good now. Also got one of the new switches with straight wire and managed to bend it exactly as the original. Will keep the old one as a reference.

3 weeks later
#1153 2 years ago

Mine came with 28.5" legs and it sits level with the Bad Cats I have next to it. Two games with animated backglass.

2 weeks later
#1162 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Looking for recommendations on these:
My hat trick diverter is a little sluggish and I'm looking for ways to make it open up a bit quicker. I've done my best trying to adjust the orbit make switch without much luck. Anything in the mech itself that can make it a bit snappier?
I've gone through 3-4 kickback switches and all have failed in a really quick manner. Just hard to dial that switch in reliably. I've only ever used the sort of "half pentagon" style rollover switches and have been thinking about switching over to the new rounded switch version that PBL sells. Anybody have any experience?

Have you checked the coil sleeve, plunger, and end stop? There may be a burr on the plunger, etc slowing it down.

2 months later
#1170 2 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

Just got a RaB delivered to me to try to fix. The major issue with this game is that on power up I get an open coin door message on the DMD and the attract music starts immediately and doesn't end until you start a game. Once in game mode all sounds seem correct and the games goes silent after ball three and match animations end. Any idea what would cause this to happen?

Is there any battery damage on the MPU board? Do you notice any hacks on the board or wiring hacks? Any disconnected wires? I think there are a couple different versions of the code. Does it have the latest installed? I'd also inspect and reseat the ribbon cables.

#1173 2 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

No battery damage, the guy we got this game from didn't believe in using them in his games, ever...
All boards are in very nice condition and I haven't seen any obvious hacks.
I forgot to check game and sound roms for version.

The RAM chip should be in a socket so I would just install NVRAM. Did that on mine and never need batteries again. Run NVRAM in most my games now.

5 months later
#1208 2 years ago
Quoted from doc5md:

Just picked up Rocky and Bullwinkle from my cousin. It was in his basement and they were playing it before pickup, though they said it has to "warm up" once turned on. Got it home and set up, and despite leaving it on for an hour or so, still not playing. I get some lights, a scrambled matrix display. After a while, it did go through and fire all the kickers/bumpers. At one point, hitting either flipper button would fire the left out-lane kicker. At one point it loaded a ball to the plunger area (without start being hit). But that was it. Tried again last night and only got the lights and scrambled matrix display.
Thoughts on what I need to start looking at?

Do you have the manual? If not you can download it from here:

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=23

Check for any battery corrosion on the MPU board. Unfortunately that is common. Also there is a capacitor that goes bad on the power supply. It often leaks as it goes and can eat through the copper traces under it causing an open connection. Can be repaired.

3 months later
#1224 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Just checking if anyone has installed a pinsound in their RB? I have a customer that has one and it works great except when the game is finished it keeps playing the game over fanfare music over and over again. Board is flawless otherwise and all sounds work fine.I tried reversing the ribbon cable with no luck. Software issue perhaps. He has 1.01 game eeprom. Thanks! JR

Would be worth trying the later code. IPDB.org has v1.30 for both the MPU and display.

2 months later
#1263 1 year ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

For sale: Rocky and bulwinkle board. Untested. $39 shipped
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

PM sent

4 weeks later
#1277 1 year ago
Quoted from judgejohn:

Trying to swap out an old power board in my Rocky & Bullwinkle. I thought it would be plug and play, simple enough that a neophyte like myself could manage it. But it turns out that the CN 7 connectors are different. Do I need to change the connector that attaches to the board at CN 7 or use some kind of adapter? The first image below is the old board; the second is the new one. Appreciate any advice/suggestions. I love this game and have to get it running again!
[quoted image][quoted image]

It looks like you are going to replace the original with a Rottendog from the picture. Later DataEast power supplies -02 have two extra pins on CN7 and so does the Rottendog. You just plug it in using pins 1, 2, and 3 like before and leave pins 4 and 5 open.

10 months later
#1360 10 months ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

This is my first Data East game. Not much playfield support going on. My machine is missing this part. Data East pinball playfield support bracket. Does someone have a pic they can share of under playfield? What do the pivots do?

If you can post pictures of the parts you're missing I may have them from a LW3 game that was stripped.

2 months later
#1378 8 months ago
Quoted from dak:

Hi everyone, I am having problems with my display and I cant seem to find the problem and I am out of ideas. I've replaced the main and auxiliary power supplies, game and display roms, the ribbons, the display itself and the display driver board. I was hoping someone might have seen this scrambled pattern before and have a suggestion. Thanks in advance for any leads. - Dak[quoted image]

Pictures of your boards? Looks like it could be a power problem. Can you measure the voltages for the DMD display? That issue doesn't appear to be caused by any kind of ROM issue. If you did swap ROM's make sure the display and main ROM versions match.

Are you running original boards or aftermarket? The more details you can provide the better.

#1380 8 months ago
Quoted from dak:

Thanks for the help, I've attached pics of the boards and voltages are all good. I've tried three different brands of boards and everyone gave me the same problem. I did notice today that the intro sound is not working too - no "It's showtime!" when turning it on, but sound is fine during gameplay. Im going to order new ROM's through Macro. Thanks again - Dak
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That Intro sound not coming on when first power up seems normal with Version 1.3 of the ROM's. I notice that too so I don't think that is an issue. I think it is more to do with the later version of the code.

Did you measure the voltages at both the power supply and the DMD?

#1382 8 months ago
Quoted from dak:

Yes, both at 5VDC - I am going to borrow a Color DMD LED and see if that get me anywhere - and thanks for the info about the startup sound.

With the picture you had of the display it looked more like a possible issue with the high voltage. It's possible that one of the power supplies was putting out too much and damaged a DMD panel. I've heard of that happening.

Good news is that the ColorDMD doesn't need that high voltage and supposedly looks great on this game. At some point I will probably upgrade mine.

1 week later
#1386 7 months ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

I've had R&B for 4-5 years, our ramps have always been difficult to make, maybe only goes all the way up 2 or 3 times out of 10. I've played other R&B and ramps hit just fine. Does my flipper orientation look correct? Is this a game that has a higher voltage for initial flipper power I can check, or anyone else have this issue before?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’d have to take a closer look at mine once power gets restored after the storms.

The flippers on mine are strong and no issues hitting either ramp. First check the coil sleeve and if there are any flaring on the end of the plunger.

Have you checked to see if the correct coils are in the game?

Was the game a reimport? Have you checked to see if the input voltage is properly set?

Can you measure coil voltage?

What flipper board is inside the cabinet? Original or aftermarket?

1 month later
#1396 6 months ago

Does the MPU board still have batteries? If so are they ok? Any corrosion on the board?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,900 (OBO)
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.50
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.